PDA

View Full Version : Ballistol?

Slater
06-17-16, 23:38
I hear about this CLP-ish stuff every now and again. Anyone swear by it?

HeruMew
06-18-16, 02:33
It is Hickock45's choice of lube.

We dont wanna start a lube war here, best advice is to just try out what youre interested in. :)

scooter22
06-18-16, 02:36
Recent opinions on solvents and lube:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?185125-Cleaning-and-Lubrication-Help-Please

Straight Shooter
06-18-16, 07:06
I use it religiously for cleaning, especially old surplus arms like Nagants that fire corrosive ammo- takes care of it no problem. I do not use it for a firearms lube. I would in a pinch, no doubt...but I use a light lithium grease as lube.
Ballistol is an awesome, LONG proved product that does many amazing things. I absolutely recommend it.

williejc
06-21-16, 21:44
The Germans were using it in WW1. I remember that there are claims made for it uses outside of lube and rust protection. I think that when diluted, you can spray it on pets and plants for insect control and other weird stuff. I keep it around. it has a strong odor. Mineral oil may be its base.

Hootiewho
06-22-16, 15:57
This.

From years spent as a millwright I tend to use a grease where a lot of guys use oil.

That said, I like Ballistol a lot and I have access to damn near every oil or grease made. I really like Ballistol on FCG's.

It is a cool oil with a cool history, with many, many uses. If I am not mistaken it is made from some sort of plant or flower from the Alps or somewhere in Germany/Switzerland. Read up on it if you have not.

Gunfixr
06-22-16, 19:15
It is awesome for all things corrosive, such as old surplus or black powder.
I have cleaned with after hoppes wouldn't remove anything, and removed more. It does not dry up like many lubes will. It can mix with water, and when the water evaporates, the oil is still present. A friend's wife used it on her plants, kept bugs away, said she put it on sunburn once, and thought it helped. Supposed to be foodsafe, so I guess you can clean guns and then eat a sandwich, although, I suppose like ingesting about any oil, it'll likely clean you out.
I have lubed some different guns with it, and they were fine. Been wanting to try it on an AR or AK, just haven't yet.

I think the biggest test I ever gave it was me and the wife coming home from a cas match, her complaining of intestinal area pain. I shot all BP in cas, and had shot percussion revolvers that day. I just sprayed a small shot down the barrel and each chamber of both guns, and misted the outside, and left them on the table.
Wife had emergency appendectomy that night. Forgot all about those guns on a table in the spare room, till about 5 weeks later.
They were perfect. Pushed 3 dry patches down the bores, last one came out clean, same for the Chambers. Wiped off the outsides, put them in the safe. Shot them the following month, and on.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk