PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a training refresher in the Raleigh area

Elkhound
06-19-16, 07:00
I obtained my concealed carry about three years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't shot a handgun since then. With a recent home invasion in Cary, NC in the news, and other "world problems," I am ready to get more serious about concealed carry.

The man who trained me three years ago has moved out of state. Can anyone recommend a good person or company to provide me with a refresher course in the Raleigh, North Carolina, area? I'd prefer contacting someone who has a recommendation, rather than just contacting someone I found using Google.

Will

Treehopr
06-19-16, 09:04
I took the 5 day pistol/carbine class back in 2008; don't know if things have changed but it was one of the best classes I've ever taken.

Their HQ used to be in the Cary/Apex area but the range is in Autryville

http://www.therangecomplex.com/specialtyprofessional-firearm-courses.html

Elkhound
06-19-16, 09:58
Thanks, I'll contact them tomorrow.

Will

jdavis6576
06-19-16, 10:31
If you're looking for training on how to use a handgun and not just a refamiliarization course to punch holes at 21 feet in a static environment I recommend http://defensiveconceptsnc.com Chris and Steve conduct excellent pistol courses that get you out of the square range mentality. They often have classes in Carthage which isn't too far from you.

Elkhound
06-19-16, 15:24
Thank you. My goal is to feel more comfortable with the handgun. I feel that whatever skills I had have deteriorated significantly, and need to be brought back without developing bad form or habits.

Tzook
06-19-16, 15:48
Once you've gotten another class under your belt, I HIGHLY recommend shooting regularly. We all get busy, but you have got to get out more often than once every few years. Shooting, and even more than that fighting with a handgun is a perishable skill. It doesn't do much good to take a class and then put your gun away until you take another. Get out and train at least once a month, more would be better.

ExplorinInTheWoods
06-20-16, 04:47
I obtained my concealed carry about three years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't shot a handgun since then. With a recent home invasion in Cary, NC in the news, and other "world problems," I am ready to get more serious about concealed carry.

The man who trained me three years ago has moved out of state. Can anyone recommend a good person or company to provide me with a refresher course in the Raleigh, North Carolina, area? I'd prefer contacting someone who has a recommendation, rather than just contacting someone I found using Google.

Will

Look up if Pat Macnamara has a class going on, he's typically down in southern pines. He's a well respected trainer, former SF and CAG. If you venture down to Spring Lake you can go to Range 37 and get some classes from them. The guys that run the place are all former SF guys and most were instructors for CQB. You have a plethora of trainers near Bragg.

Wake27
06-20-16, 06:03
Check out Alias training. Mac is on there as well as several others that work around Bragg, as was mentioned. Pat is at the top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyNeverDies
06-20-16, 20:45
I recently took DH1 and DH2 from Every Day Ready on the recommendation of a friend. Their facility is in Raleigh right off of 98 and 50. It's really nice for the size of their operation. I had never taken a class at any point up to that so I don't have anything to compare it too. I'm taking a Red Back 1 class in October so that'll give me something to compare it to.

They really smoothed out my shooting personally and worked me on the fundamentals. I also did a video shoot with them for marketing so I may be biased. Usually once a month they offer all day Open Training for $50. You basically go and do a refresher on what you learned. Allows you to get range time a a nice facility with instruction with a short drive.

I plan to go back for a
http://every-day-ready.com/

They teach Center Axis Relock which I'm skeptical of. But their basics are great and I highly recommend them. I'll be taking a carbine course there in the near future. Along with more open training days. If you have any specific questions let me know.

I tried to get into an Alias/Northern Red or Defoor class but everything is booked for 2016 and for the basic class driving to Fayetteville was to long of a drive for me.

buckshot1220
06-20-16, 21:30
I haven't taken a class down here yet, but once you get a refresher down The Range in Oxford, NC has outdoor IDPA events several times a month. There is a shoot house and multiple other stages involving cars/trucks and various barricades. It's not training per se, but it is a good way keep proficient and forces some shooting on the move, unconventional positions and reloads.

the-range.com