PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 Rail Systems?

Bongo
06-19-16, 10:31
Hi fellas,

I got a new Colt 6920 and am not sure what the cool kids are doing on ARs these days.

I'm considering the KAC RAS, DD Omega or Centurion Arms C7. I read some posts from a few years ago but couldn't find much that's real current so wanted to ask before I started buying stuff.

All I really plan to mount to it is a light and maybe a sling, nothing too crazy. Will probably put an Aimpoint T2 on the top, already has the Magpul BUIS that it came with. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't doing this somewhat for aesthetics as I've always thought the rail systems looked cool.

Am I locked into the standard carbine length or do those Centurion Arms ones that are longer than carbine still go on/around the standard A2 FSP? I plan on leaving the A2 FSP (I think).

I know I know, all subjective of course. Please go easy on me, I've been out of the game for a little while. :cool:

jstalford
06-19-16, 10:50
Carbine cutout c4

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/deeb7c82f926d37ab8c5b93058b9d281.jpg

or fsp cutout c4

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/ba044109bb18b571efcf67ca489e1eb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
06-19-16, 10:53
IF all you want to do is to add a light and a sling, why bother with the cost and weight of a rail?

I have a couple of Colt 6920's set up using a MapPul MOE Sl hand guard. Add a cantilever rail to attach a light and a QD attachment, and you're good to go.

Eurodriver
06-19-16, 10:54
I haven't found the FSP Cutout C4 anywhere in ages. Is it still being made?

jstalford
06-19-16, 10:56
I don't think so but they pop up for sale now and then.

Turnkey11
06-19-16, 11:00
KAC RAS still my favorite.

Bongo
06-19-16, 11:02
That cutout C4 looks pretty good. What are the options on adding grips like shown in those pics (similar to what the KAC has) to ease the roughness of the rail?

jstalford
06-19-16, 11:04
That cutout C4 looks pretty good. What are the options on adding grips like shown in those pics (similar to what the KAC has) to ease the roughness of the rail?

On a quad rail? Endless...

ETA: I will be more helpful and say I like larue index clips

Bongo
06-19-16, 11:10
I looked at a few vids on youtube of it and saw some guys cutting stuff. I take it these may not be drop in?

jstalford
06-19-16, 11:11
You have to remove the delta ring hand handguard cap. If you want drop in with zero effort, just get magpul sl and call it a day.

Bongo
06-19-16, 11:20
DD AR15 LITE RAIL III 7.0 (CARBINE)
DD Omega Rail 7 (zero modification to the weapon as I understand)
KAS RAS (zero modification to the weapon as I understand)

I'm leaning towards these I think.
The Centurion looks good but I probably won't have the patience to start drilling.

Never been a fan of the Magpul looks wise.

scooter22
06-19-16, 11:31
DD AR15 LITE RAIL III 7.0 (CARBINE)
DD Omega Rail 7 (zero modification to the weapon as I understand)
KAS RAS (zero modification to the weapon as I understand)

I'm leaning towards these I think.
The Centurion looks good but I probably won't have the patience to start drilling.

Never been a fan of the Magpul looks wise.

You don't have to drill anything with the Centurion. That's the one I would choose.

Bongo
06-19-16, 14:07
You don't have to drill anything with the Centurion. That's the one I would choose.

You have to cut the O ring though right?
Is there a specific Centurion you'd go with?

I'm seriously considering the KAC RAS or the DD Omega 7 (carbine length) unless I can find a damn good reason not to.
I'll admit I'm no expert however.

sbrown3
06-19-16, 15:09
It's not as hard as you think. Just use a dremel tool to cut off delta ring. Be careful and you'll be fine. Then just use a pair of pliers and u can twist the spring pack off. I don't see the point in dropping $150 plus and not free floating the barrel. Another option is the Troy Delta Battlerail, zero modification to the weapon and will free float the barrel and it looks pretty awesome.

http://www.primaryarms.com/srai-dlt-cxbt-00/p/srai-dlt-cxbt-00/

Yes I know people here hate Troy! But the rail is great for the money

Bongo
06-19-16, 15:25
It's not as hard as you think. Just use a dremel tool to cut off delta ring. Be careful and you'll be fine. Then just use a pair of pliers and u can twist the spring pack off. I don't see the point in dropping $150 plus and not free floating the barrel. Another option is the Troy Delta Battlerail, zero modification to the weapon and will free float the barrel and it looks pretty awesome.

http://www.primaryarms.com/srai-dlt-cxbt-00/p/srai-dlt-cxbt-00/

Yes I know people here hate Troy! But the rail is great for the money

What about a DD Omega 7?
Free floats the barrel I believe.

https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/omega-rail/omega-rail-7-0-carbine.html

Mav
06-19-16, 15:39
The DD Omega does free float and is easy to install. Just put one on my new 6920 myself.

sbrown3
06-19-16, 15:54
The DD omega is a good option, just a little overpriced IMO. I personally like to run my hand out front, so the first thing I wanted to do was get an extended rail.

Bongo
06-19-16, 16:10
The DD omega is a good option, just a little overpriced IMO. I personally like to run my hand out front, so the first thing I wanted to do was get an extended rail.

What's a "fair" price on one these days? Seems hard to find them in stock. I suspect it's an old piece that no one does much these days.

sbrown3
06-19-16, 17:29
Around $200 is a decent price. If you're half-way mechanically inclined, I'd still steer you towards one of the options that uses standard barrel nut and all u have to do is cut off delta ring, i.e. Centurion, MidWest Industries gen 2 free float rail, or one of the offerings from Troy. Do a little more research and you'll find what appeals to you. My advice would be to do a lot of studying and get the one you truly want, otherwise you'll end up buying 2 or 3 times.

kirkland
06-19-16, 17:58
KAC RAS, I put one on my first colt, I like it but it is HEAVY!, I think you should reconsider the magpul handguard, it's super light, super cheap, easy to install, easy to mount lights and grips and slings.

scooter22
06-19-16, 20:18
You have to cut the O ring though right?
Is there a specific Centurion you'd go with?

I'm seriously considering the KAC RAS or the DD Omega 7 (carbine length) unless I can find a damn good reason not to.
I'll admit I'm no expert however.

The Centurion C4 is a batter rail IMO. I would go with the 7", if you can't find the cut-out or FSP version.

Removing the necessary parts is extremely easy.

Search "Centurion C4" on the site, and see what others have said.

jstalford
06-19-16, 20:24
Add to cart for cheaper price. Coupon code facebook for $5 off

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=31387

skylineracer329
06-19-16, 20:50
I have the KAC and I love it. No mods to the rifle needed. And the way it mounts it's stable enough to put a laser on there and have it hold zero.

I've got the KAC rail covers for it but I find they add bulk and it's a pain in the ass to get the top rail cover on

Can usually find used ones on eBay or grab a new but blemished one from KAC

Bongo
06-19-16, 21:21
I guess I'll reconsider the Century Arms C4 Carbine with the cut out. It seems to be recommended quite a bit. I know a few folks that would probably be glad to assist if need be.

The Magpul you guys mentioned, is there a specific magpul piece? I browsed around but couldn't find it.

jstalford
06-19-16, 21:28
https://www.magpul.com/products/firearms-accessories/hand-guards/moe-sl-hand-guard-carbine-length

Bongo
06-19-16, 21:34
https://www.magpul.com/products/firearms-accessories/hand-guards/moe-sl-hand-guard-carbine-length

Well the price is certainly right.
How difficult is taking the sling mount off the FSP?

jstalford
06-19-16, 21:36
45 seconds with a hacksaw

Baldness
06-19-16, 21:42
I have a dd omega on a 6920. Took a few minutes to install. I have zero complaints.

skatz11
06-19-16, 21:56
I really like the Daniel Defense Lite 9.5 FSP rail. I have one my fist AR I refuse to change or sell that rifle.

misfit47
06-19-16, 22:36
Take a look at the Midwest industries fsp cut rail. A few minutes with a dremel and done. Or save your parts and tear the upper down.

kirkland
06-19-16, 23:16
Well the price is certainly right.
How difficult is taking the sling mount off the FSP?

You don't even have to do remove the sling mount if you don't want to, there's also this version.
https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-mlok-hand-guard-carbine-length-ar15-m4

HMsailor
06-20-16, 11:54
I have the KAC and I love it. No mods to the rifle needed. And the way it mounts it's stable enough to put a laser on there and have it hold zero.

I've got the KAC rail covers for it but I find they add bulk and it's a pain in the ass to get the top rail cover on

Can usually find used ones on eBay or grab a new but blemished one from KAC
kac ras rail covers only go on the 3 6 9 o'clock position :rolleyes:

skylineracer329
06-20-16, 11:54
mac ras rail covers only go on the 3 6 9 o'clock position :rolleyes:

Well don't I feel like a silly goose. I figured as much after a while anyways lol

TacticalSledgehammer
06-20-16, 12:19
I really like the Daniel Defense Lite 9.5 FSP rail. I have one my fist AR I refuse to change or sell that rifle.

I've got the same thing mounted on my 6920. I love it. Installation involves a bit more time than some of the other rails, but It's rock solid.

titsonritz
06-20-16, 17:49
or fsp cutout c4

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/ba044109bb18b571efcf67ca489e1eb9.jpg

I haven't found the FSP Cutout C4 anywhere in ages. Is it still being made?

I gave up looking for one but that was the type of rail I wanted so I went with a DD RISII FSP and couldn't be happier.

Kilo 1-1
06-20-16, 18:21
As others have said, the Magpul MOE SL will meet your requirements. But as for drop in rails, I still prefer the KAC RAS. I also like the DD RIS II FSP, but it's heavy and non drop in. Both guns below are 6920s.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/27769650696_afc223d6f6_h.jpg

sbrown3
06-20-16, 19:20
Another option is the Fortis REV and REV II. Both use standard barrel nut, all u have to do is cut off Delta ring

JoshNC
06-20-16, 20:19
I've installed bcm kmr-alphas on a few colt 6920s and really like them. The centurion or a DD would be my pick for a pic rail.

Bummedic
06-29-16, 16:18
Well don't I feel like a silly goose. I figured as much after a while anyways lol

Slide it on from the rear of the upper and keep sliding past to the top rail. I have one on top... I don't use the top rail to mount anything, so I appreciate the extra cover real estate for my thumb, if need be.

Flankenstein
06-29-16, 16:37
DD Omega or KAC M4 RAS... F the "cool" (lol) kids.

dsk
06-29-16, 16:59
I couldn't find a KAC rail for a reasonable price at the time I was looking, so I bought the Midwest Industries drop-in rail from a local Cabelas instead. It gets the job done and looks nearly the same as a KAC, for what it's worth.

Bummedic
06-29-16, 17:06
I couldn't find a KAC rail for a reasonable price at the time I was looking, so I bought the Midwest Industries drop-in rail from a local Cabelas instead. It gets the job done and looks nearly the same as a KAC, for what it's worth.

Got one from a buddy who happened across a couple M4 RAS kits for a good price (both for me and him). I run an M-series MI drop-in on my BCM lightweight middy that is very nice. MI makes good stuff, and is a local (state) biz for me. Happy to support!

Falar
06-30-16, 16:39
Despite the "cool kid" running keymod these days I'm going to put a 10.75" URX II on one of my 6920s.

mdrums
07-06-16, 20:08
Good thread...I too am looking for a Free Float rail for my Colt 6920. Right now I have a Midwest drop in rail and it's really good but I want to free float. I want a rail that goes around the front site post because I do not want to remove it and I want more rile out front too.

Considering some DD, Midwest, Troy and Centurion rails.....thanks!

Bummedic
07-06-16, 20:35
Good thread...I too am looking for a rail for my Colt 6920. I want a rail that goes around the front site post because I do not want to remove it and I want more rile out front too.

Considering some DD, Midwest, Troy and Centurion rails.....thanks!

Check out the Troy Charlie (quad) and Delta rails. May not be the lightest, but locks up super tight and doesn't require any modifications to your rifle. Uses existing delta ring and proprietary barrel clamp mechanism.

mdrums
07-21-16, 21:22
Check out the Troy Charlie (quad) and Delta rails. May not be the lightest, but locks up super tight and doesn't require any modifications to your rifle. Uses existing delta ring and proprietary barrel clamp mechanism.
Thanks checked them out...high on my list...just trying to figure out if KMod or M-Lok is the way to go.

Bummedic
07-21-16, 21:25
Thanks checked them out...high on my list...just trying to figure out if KMod or M-Lok is the way to go.

M-Lok because, well, hardware store shelving and little penises. Once seen, it cannot be unseen.

The Resistance
07-22-16, 01:06
Hi fellas,

I got a new Colt 6920 and am not sure what the cool kids are doing on ARs these days.

I'm considering the KAC RAS, DD Omega or Centurion Arms C7. I read some posts from a few years ago but couldn't find much that's real current so wanted to ask before I started buying stuff.

All I really plan to mount to it is a light and maybe a sling, nothing too crazy. Will probably put an Aimpoint T2 on the top, already has the Magpul BUIS that it came with. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't doing this somewhat for aesthetics as I've always thought the rail systems looked cool.

Am I locked into the standard carbine length or do those Centurion Arms ones that are longer than carbine still go on/around the standard A2 FSP? I plan on leaving the A2 FSP (I think).

I know I know, all subjective of course. Please go easy on me, I've been out of the game for a little while. :cool:

There are not any cool kids and you shouldn't care what they or I think, but you did ask.

Take your War Horse and get a reputable/quality free float tube (There are a lot to choose from) with picatinny on top and a way to attach your light or whatever only where you need it. You don't have to have cool kid M-LOK, Keymod KMR or whatever new whiz bang attachment system is out now, tomorrow or next week. Once your light and sling are on there you don't need to dick with it every day or every week.

The only reason you need cool kid mods is so you can post fancy pictures of guns that only come out for photographs like some kind of super-model rifle. The picture sections are full of guns that appear to have never been fired. I only check out the guns that look like they get shot and show signs of wear.

You will be lost in an eternal deep and spinning pit listening to a million opinions (including mine) on what attachment system is best. Some engineer somewhere will tell you which one is scientifically better, but another engineer is making a better one than that one right now.

I am not saying M-LOK, KMR or any other attachment system is no good. War Horses have been going to war without this stuff for years. Just don't get a quad rail, too much wasted space, weight and pretty uncomfortable.

Beat Trash
07-22-16, 09:02
First off, there is nothing wrong with the Colt 6920. It is an excellent basic rifle. For the person who only owns one rifle to do it all, a 6920 with a sling, white light and a quality RDS like an Aimpoint is an excellent package.

If you really want a rail that is free floating and want to keep the FSB, then the Troy Charlie rails are a valid option.

But I really like the MagPul MOE sl hand guards for what you are trying to do. They are light weight, deal well with heat well and the side extension on the hand guard adds just enough to keep my thumb from getting burned on a hot FSB. The older 12" rails with FSB cut outs didn't work so well for me when trying to use a "C" grip with my support hand because the FSB was in the way. My son talked me into trying the new MagPul MOE sl hand guard, and once I tried it on his 6920, I'm sold.

Add into the mix the cost savings of the MagPul hand guard over some of the rails and for me it's a done deal. It's as if the 6920 and the MOE sl furniture were meant to be together.

Bummedic
07-22-16, 10:30
There are not any cool kids and you shouldn't care what they or I think, but you did ask.

Take your War Horse and get a reputable/quality free float tube (There are a lot to choose from) with picatinny on top and a way to attach your light or whatever only where you need it. You don't have to have cool kid M-LOK, Keymod KMR or whatever new whiz bang attachment system is out now, tomorrow or next week. Once your light and sling are on there you don't need to dick with it every day or every week.

The only reason you need cool kid mods is so you can post fancy pictures of guns that only come out for photographs like some kind of super-model rifle. The picture sections are full of guns that appear to have never been fired. I only check out the guns that look like they get shot and show signs of wear.

You will be lost in an eternal deep and spinning pit listening to a million opinions (including mine) on what attachment system is best. Some engineer somewhere will tell you which one is scientifically better, but another engineer is making a better one than that one right now.

I am not saying M-LOK, KMR or any other attachment system is no good. War Horses have been going to war without this stuff for years. Just don't get a quad rail, too much wasted space, weight and pretty uncomfortable.

But, but, but... we all wanna LOOK cool :-P

Eurodriver
07-22-16, 12:45
So many suggestions for rails in this thread that aren't even made anymore/been out of stock for months :(

(edited request)

I can't use a MI rail because I attach LAMs to my kit and they aren't secure enough. I think companies have really dropped the ball not continuing to offer drop in, secure quad rails for carbine length systems (and midlength)

Dirknar
07-22-16, 21:18
Basic Colt rifle and basic H&k pistol = Pretty badass!

I need to shoot it, but I really like the basic mpul handguards. I do wish centurion still made that m4 cutout rail though..

What do you guys recommend for light and mount?

I'm thinking Aimpiont pro and a magpul ms1 2pnt sling.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Dirknar77/20160722_191106_zpsykjkcdf1.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Dirknar77/media/20160722_191106_zpsykjkcdf1.jpg.html)

QuickStrike
07-23-16, 10:40
Man, I should have gotten the centurion carbine cut out rail a few months back when they were available. The little bit of extra handguard on the bottom would have been perfect for my 6920 and short arms.

Anyone know of a place?

Jewell
07-23-16, 12:48
KAC RAS, I put one on my first colt, I like it but it is HEAVY!, I think you should reconsider the magpul handguard, it's super light, super cheap, easy to install, easy to mount lights and grips and slings.

I agree. Reconsider the Magpul handguard. When I bought my 6920, I was in the same boat. All I wanted to add was a angled foregrip, and an x300. After looking around, I stuck with the Magpul handguard.

fly
07-23-16, 16:43
All I added to my LE 6920 was a MaTech rear steel sight adj. 200-600m . I'm GTG with that .

Bummedic
07-23-16, 17:12
All I added to my LE 6920 was a MaTech rear steel sight adj. 200-600m . I'm GTG with that .

I added a Colt OEM carrying handle to mine. Keeping it simple :-)

dsk
07-23-16, 21:36
But, but, but... we all wanna LOOK cool :-P

I have two 6920s. One is decked out with many of the cool kid mods. The other one is bone stock all the way down to the OEM carry handle and fat GI M4 hand guards. When at the range with all the other cool kids I of course shoot the fancy one, but once everybody else has packed up and gone home I sneak the stock one out and have lots of fun with it. :cool:

Bummedic
07-23-16, 22:20
I have two 6920s. One is decked out with many of the cool kid mods. The other one is bone stock all the way down to the OEM carry handle and fat GI M4 hand guards. When at the range with all the other cool kids I of course shoot the fancy one, but once everybody else has packed up and gone home I sneak the stock one out and have lots of fun with it. :cool:

Ha ha ha

HMsailor
07-23-16, 23:50
seems like '2' is the magic number. we have the same style.

Kilo 1-1
07-24-16, 00:09
First off, there is nothing wrong with the Colt 6920. It is an excellent basic rifle. For the person who only owns one rifle to do it all, a 6920 with a sling, white light and a quality RDS like an Aimpoint is an excellent package.

Agreed. My SF light not pictured/visible in this pic:
Basic 6920, Aimpoint PRO, KAC RAS.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8817/28437184065_e163a8dce1_b.jpg

I also used to have a Troy Delta on another upper (BCM), and it worked well as a compromise as a drop in FF rail.

QuickStrike
07-24-16, 00:15
Hummm... just acquired a dremel... tempted to chop my carry handle for a DIY rear sight. Think I remember Surf doing it.

JulyAZ
07-24-16, 00:50
Hummm... just acquired a dremel... tempted to chop my carry handle for a DIY rear sight. Think I remember Surf doing it.

If it's a removable carry handle, then what's stopping you? I say go for it.

bloodlord77
07-26-16, 16:31
I bought the le6920 socom with the m4a1 roll mark. 2013 configuration. I think mine came with the troy quad rail. Not sure if its worth the $ to buy the kac because the rail i have seems really solid. Also im not concerned with free floating as im not really shooting past 200m.

sig1473
07-26-16, 17:09
I bought the le6920 socom with the m4a1 roll mark. 2013 configuration. I think mine came with the troy quad rail. Not sure if its worth the $ to buy the kac because the rail i have seems really solid. Also im not concerned with free floating as im not really shooting past 200m.

Buy the KAC. You won't be disappointed. Locks up rock solid.

kirkland
07-26-16, 17:19

I chopped mine with a hacksaw and then smoothed out the cut with a file and then sandpaper, finished it with some cheap black paint from Home Depot. It looks great and it's the most rugged buis you can own. Works great behind an aimpoint in a lower 1/3 mount.

kirkland
07-26-16, 17:20

The Kac RAS is not free floated and although the top does lock up solid, the bottom rail does not and can move around a bit. Just fyi.

Eurodriver
07-27-16, 12:50
Just an FYI - I heard from Centurion regarding Centurion C4 Carbine Cutout rails:

"Yes, they are still in production. We had a sudden large purchase order that wiped out our stock, and we're scrambling to get them on the machines. We are hoping to have more ready in the next 8 weeks or so if things stick to schedule. No promises on ETA...but we are working to get them done as soon as we can!"

JG007
07-28-16, 00:43
Just an FYI - I heard from Centurion regarding Centurion C4 Carbine Cutout rails:

"Yes, they are still in production. We had a sudden large purchase order that wiped out our stock, and we're scrambling to get them on the machines. We are hoping to have more ready in the next 8 weeks or so if things stick to schedule. No promises on ETA...but we are working to get them done as soon as we can!"

Opposite of what they told me a month ago

Eurodriver
07-28-16, 01:28
Opposite of what they told me a month ago

She was quick to point out in a follow up email that the 12" C4 Cutout FSP rail is no longer being made.

The 7" Cutout and 9" Cutout are in production.

SkiDevil
07-28-16, 05:35
She was quick to point out in a follow up email that the 12" C4 Cutout FSP rail is no longer being made.

The 7" Cutout and 9" Cutout are in production.

This is the response that I received from Centurion last year (October) when inquiring reference the C4 FSB 12.0 rail:

"Thank you so much for your interest. The C4 12.0 FSB Rail or "C4 FSP Cutout", has been shelved for now. It was a very slow seller...kind of a niche product. We've gotten a little bit of interest lately, and have considered putting them back into production, at least a small run of them. But, it may be a while. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you.

Thank you, and I hope that we can serve you in the near future."

If there are enough of us maybe we could propose contracting a limited run with Centurion.

Tyberos
08-03-16, 18:59
I emailed Centurion the other day and received this response from Corrie in regards to the Carbine cutout and the diopter sights:

"We are definitely making the C4 Carbine Cutouts still! They are next on the machines. We had a large order that wiped out our stock...so we are scrambling to get a new batch on the production line. They may be confusing the Carbine Cutout with the 12" FSP C4...that one is temporarily shelved for now. Maybe that's the source of confusion.

The diopter sights is a whole other issue. We would LOVE to get them back in production. We have been trying to source components...but it has proved very difficult to find a reliable source...and not make the sights cost prohibitive. Trying some new avenues and we hope to be able to bring them back for you soon."

jpmuscle
08-03-16, 19:28
Good to hear about the carbine cut out. I'd dig some diopter sights though

Feline
03-04-17, 08:49
Any news about the 12" C4 carbine FSB cut-out?

Eurodriver
03-04-17, 13:07
Any news about the 12" C4 carbine FSB cut-out?

I emailed them a while ago. They were very prompt and polite in replying.

If you are wondering you could contact them for an update.

Tyberos
03-06-17, 23:08
I emailed them a while ago. They were very prompt and polite in replying.

If you are wondering you could contact them for an update.

I believe it is still shelved at this time based on my prior conversation with them.