PDA

View Full Version : Can the media/gov change minds on guns

nof555
06-19-16, 14:42
I've thought about this for a while now, and wanted to get you all's take on it. I was baffled by the recent drastic view change on smoking in the last 7-10 years. When I went to high school that's what we did possibly to be cool, possibly to rebel, or just plain curiosity. I smoked until around 4 years ago when it would effect my running.

Now I'm glad I quit, and I know it's terribly bad for you, but I believe the gov/media had the largest part to do with the change from being common to being a nuisance. And I believe with the proper amount of money and support they could use the same tactics against us. Tobacco was a multi billion dollar industry, with plenty of lobbyists and support, yet they still lost the battle. So lets look at the recent tactics used and see how they could be reflected on to the population and gun industry.

First, post ads on smoking products stating their danger and what they can cause. This one has obviously been done, as there are warning labels all over gun/ammunition boxes. I'm fine with this one, as some people really are that stupid.

Second, they removed smoking ads in magazines and television in an effort to keep new kids from smoking. Though this would be the hardest to enforce, I can't see how they were able to get away with it for smoking. Legally I don't understand how the government can make a law restricting how a business can advertise, but if they accomplished it here you never know.

Third, start youth related television and radio ad campaigns describing how bad smoking is and that it's uncool. This I could see more easily, there are enough anti gun groups that would love nothing more to get on TV and preach to the masses about how dangerous they are, how many deaths they cause, and how none of your favorite pop stars, actors, inspirational figures like guns.

Fourth, isolate and belittle users. No smoking sections/restaurants turned into smoking corners and outcast areas put in places no one else wants to go. We've all seen them in amusement parks, little cramped smoking areas that make me think of animals crammed in a zoo. They already have gun free zones, so I guess this has somewhat already been accomplished. Possibly incentives could be offered to restaurants or other public places to be gun free.

Fifth, ban flavored cigarettes to deter new smokers. Think AWB here I guess, as they tend to attract the younger generation to shooting more than grandpa's hunting rifle.

Sixth, start placing pictures of people who have been a victim/scarred from smoking on TV ads and smoking packages. I can see it now, a picture of Gabby Giffords in the hospital or victims from one of the mass shootings on the next box of .556 I buy. Or worse, trying to eat my dinner and have someone who failed a suicide by shotgun telling me how access to guns ruined his life. I absolutely despise those smoking commercials, I swear every time they come on I'm trying to eat.

In summary, these government actions have completely changed the view on the younger generations perception on smoking. It's no longer what they do to be cool, it now makes them be an outcast. Again I understand that smoking really is terrible and guns aren't if used safely. But I don't think the government cares, and could see the same campaign used on guns actually be successful in changing young minds to be antigun. In 1965 42.4% of people smoked, now 17.8%. In the 1970s over 50% of households had guns, and now only 32%.

Do you believe the media and government could run a successful similar campaign against guns without actually banning them? After all, smoking is still legal.

JC5188
06-19-16, 14:51
I've thought about this for a while now, and wanted to get you all's take on it. I was baffled by the recent drastic view change on smoking in the last 7-10 years. When I went to high school that's what we did possibly to be cool, possibly to rebel, or just plain curiosity. I smoked until around 4 years ago when it would effect my running.

Now I'm glad I quit, and I know it's terribly bad for you, but I believe the gov/media had the largest part to do with the change from being common to being a nuisance. And I believe with the proper amount of money and support they could use the same tactics against us. Tobacco was a multi billion dollar industry, with plenty of lobbyists and support, yet they still lost the battle. So lets look at the recent tactics used and see how they could be reflected on to the population and gun industry.

First, post ads on smoking products stating their danger and what they can cause. This one has obviously been done, as there are warning labels all over gun/ammunition boxes. I'm fine with this one, as some people really are that stupid.

Second, they removed smoking ads in magazines and television in an effort to keep new kids from smoking. Though this would be the hardest to enforce, I can't see how they were able to get away with it for smoking. Legally I don't understand how the government can make a law restricting how a business can advertise, but if they accomplished it here you never know.

Third, start youth related television and radio ad campaigns describing how bad smoking is and that it's uncool. This I could see more easily, there are enough anti gun groups that would love nothing more to get on TV and preach to the masses about how dangerous they are, how many deaths they cause, and how none of your favorite pop stars, actors, inspirational figures like guns.

Fourth, isolate and belittle users. No smoking sections/restaurants turned into smoking corners and outcast areas put in places no one else wants to go. We've all seen them in amusement parks, little cramped smoking areas that make me think of animals crammed in a zoo. They already have gun free zones, so I guess this has somewhat already been accomplished. Possibly incentives could be offered to restaurants or other public places to be gun free.

Fifth, ban flavored cigarettes to deter new smokers. Think AWB here I guess, as they tend to attract the younger generation to shooting more than grandpa's hunting rifle.

Sixth, start placing pictures of people who have been a victim/scarred from smoking on TV ads and smoking packages. I can see it now, a picture of Gabby Giffords in the hospital or victims from one of the mass shootings on the next box of .556 I buy. Or worse, trying to eat my dinner and have someone who failed a suicide by shotgun telling me how access to guns ruined his life. I absolutely despise those smoking commercials, I swear every time they come on I'm trying to eat.

In summary, these government actions have completely changed the view on the younger generations perception on smoking. It's no longer what they do to be cool, it now makes them be an outcast. Again I understand that smoking really is terrible and guns aren't if used safely. But I don't think the government cares, and could see the same campaign used on guns actually be successful in changing young minds to be antigun. In 1965 42.4% of people smoked, now 17.8%. In the 1970s over 50% of households had guns, and now only 32%.

Do you believe the media and government could run a successful similar campaign against guns without actually banning them? After all, smoking is still legal.

I doubt it. Anti gunners are not nearly as populous as they would like you to think. Most of the polls they cite as to ubc's are the result of very vague questions that if you aren't an active gun enthusiast, you'll likely not understand. Most casual 2A supporters have no idea that ubc includes passing a grandfathers shotgun down to a grandkid, or a private sale between two lifelong friends. They think gun shows are a arms dealer free-for-all without any checks at all.

I will say we need to be more vigilant in pointing these things out, IMO.

ETA...and, that was a loooooong frickin' post, bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nof555
06-19-16, 15:08
I doubt it. Anti gunners are not nearly as populous as they would like you to think. Most of the polls they cite as to ubc's are the result of very vague questions that if you aren't an active gun enthusiast, you'll likely not understand. Most casual 2A supporters have no idea that ubc includes passing a grandfathers shotgun down to a grandkid, or a private sale between two lifelong friends. They think gun shows are a arms dealer free-for-all without any checks at all.

I will say we need to be more vigilant in pointing these things out, IMO.

ETA...and, that was a loooooong frickin' post, bro.

Bored at work on a Sunday my friend.

JC5188
06-19-16, 15:53
Bored at work on a Sunday my friend.

Lol...roger that.