PDA

View Full Version : Why quote other posters so much?

MookNW
06-19-16, 17:50
Man, one thing that bugs the hell out of me is scrolling through a page of forum members quoting other people's posts. Especially in gun pic threads. I don't need to read that crap/look at that pic more than once.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-19-16, 17:52
Man, one thing that bugs the hell out of me is scrolling through a page of forum members quoting other people's posts. Especially in gun pic threads. I don't need to read that crap/look at that pic more than once.

I don't know.

MookNW
06-19-16, 18:00
Should seen that one coming. Sorry if in wrong forum.

jstalford
06-19-16, 18:04
Quoting A. Notifies another user that you responded to your comment if they use tapatalk which can be helpful in getting a response and B. Clarifies which post you're responding to avoiding confusion in a long or fast moving topic.

IMHO it's a helpful feature. I do agree that quoting a post with 10 pics in it can get old.

Another pet peeve is when people quote multiple posts but don't use the multi quote function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Bravo
06-19-16, 18:06

What he said...

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-19-16, 18:12
In all seriousness, I think you need some context sometime, but I'll often whack the images out so that the thread isn't that long. That way you can still see what the comment is relative to, but not clutter things up.

26 Inf
06-19-16, 18:26
Another pet peeve is when people quote multiple posts but don't use the multi quote function.

Okay, 'splain this multi-quote function, please.

jstalford
06-19-16, 18:28
https://youtu.be/vfbWdEEhSo8

Or in tapatalk, tap a post, click "more," click multi quote, tap the posts you want to quote and they'll turn blue.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/fa18a1b69e57d645d944a0e8f3ca9a22.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/36aee50272564a9356f72a48750cb180.jpg

26 Inf
06-19-16, 18:45
Thanks - I thought you meant on the forum. I no tapatalk, I grew up two generations too early.

jstalford
06-19-16, 18:54
Thanks - I thought you meant on the forum. I no tapatalk, I grew up two generations too early.

The vid shows how to do in from the main site on a computer.

Honu
06-19-16, 18:54
AND THERE IS ALWAYS THAT GUY

I do think sometimes it helps know who you are responding to :)
but do so agree when its loaded with pics or as I do just delete all but the part I want to respond to :) and take out the pics

I don't know.

and that also !

agree !!!!

Quoting A. Notifies another user that you responded to your comment if they use tapatalk which can be helpful in getting a response and B. Clarifies which post you're responding to avoiding confusion in a long or fast moving topic.

IMHO it's a helpful feature. I do agree that quoting a post with 10 pics in it can get old.

I could not agree more :)

What he said...
yup ditto that :)

In all seriousness, I think you need some context sometime, but I'll often whack the images out so that the thread isn't that long. That way you can still see what the comment is relative to, but not clutter things up.

I often need it a lot :)

Okay, 'splain this multi-quote function, please.

this is mulit quote to the multi most :)

https://youtu.be/vfbWdEEhSo8

Or in tapatalk, tap a post, click "more," click multi quote, tap the posts you want to quote and they'll turn blue.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/fa18a1b69e57d645d944a0e8f3ca9a22.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160619/36aee50272564a9356f72a48750cb180.jpg

never used the tap talk app yet :)
OH should have taken out the pics :) sorry my bad

yeah that is why to :) I think my eyes are bad enough I had to get a larger phone :) hahahhah

Honu
06-19-16, 18:57
OH by the way your inbox is full :)
to funny cause I was posting here then saw I had a message :)

this is often another reason I quote someone :)
but his inbox really is full :)

I don't know.

ST911
06-19-16, 19:00
Quote as little as possible to make your point. There's rarely a need to quote a picture or a video. Doing otherwise is just lazy.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-19-16, 19:01

What?

SteyrAUG
06-19-16, 20:15

Because if you post "nice comment" or "nice gun" in a 10 page thread nobody know what or who you are referencing.

Honu
06-19-16, 21:08
ditto :)

Because if you post "nice comment" or "nice gun" in a 10 page thread nobody know what or who you are referencing.

ColtSeavers
06-19-16, 22:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

AmIdoingitright?

Koshinn
06-20-16, 00:28

AmIdoingitright?

I think so

26 Inf
06-20-16, 09:30

Serious observation - instead of quoting pictures, etc, what would be the problem of posting 'Hey Steyr, ref post #15 - good job!'

sevenhelmet
06-20-16, 10:16
@26 Inf, I have done exactly that. I also like to truncate quotes to just the sentence to which I'm responding, rather than re-post someone's diatribe.

Anyone else ever read the archives from other forums (notably TOS, but there are others) where the original post is quoted in literally every single follow-on post, and there is no quote box? It makes them extremely irritating to read...

jstalford
06-20-16, 10:28
Serious observation - instead of quoting pictures, etc, what would be the problem of posting 'Hey Steyr, ref post #15 - good job!'

If you're just saying nice pic, it could work. But if they've posted multiple times in a thread, no one knows what post # is what. Scrolling back a couple pages is more annoying (to me) than scrolling past ONE quoted pic. But quote ONE pic at the most if necessary. Don't quote all 10 of they're pics and the wall of text they wrote.

However if you're asking a question about it, it does not notify the person if they use tapatalk and it makes it harder for them to know what you're talking about.

Honu
06-20-16, 15:35
fact is if it was the correct thing to never quote why is there a quote function :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-20-16, 16:18
I view the forum, and most forums, by time of post. I guess if you viewed it by threading by reply you'd know what responses were to what. I find time posted to be more relevant, but I guess the other way works for Reddit. I'm guessing that after a certain volume of posts, the reply threading beats out the time sequencing.

SeriousStudent
06-20-16, 19:46

Until one of those wretched moderators comes along and deletes a post, and throws all the numbers off.

26 Inf
06-20-16, 19:49
Until one of those wretched moderators comes along and deletes a post, and throws all the numbers off.

To quote the Baird: 'First, let us kill the moderators.'

SeriousStudent
06-20-16, 19:51
As far as I am aware, only one mod here is an attorney.

He's also a good shot, so you may wish to consider that. :cool:

brushy bill
06-20-16, 20:47

Just an idea (possibly a bad one), but couldn't the mods just type, "Deleted Post" and leave the poster/post? That way, poster would see his/her post deleted & numbers would stay same. Probably a reason this isn't done though.

usmcvet
06-20-16, 21:10
fact is if it was the correct thing to never quote why is there a quote function :)

And a multi quote function. Seriously? Kinda a lame post here OP. =)
It a conversation online. Not a bunch of people talking to themselves.

TF82
06-21-16, 20:40

AmIdoingitright?

The dude.

TF82
06-21-16, 20:41

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about people who quote in two posts in a row?

TF82
06-21-16, 20:47

Would this maybe be better in the Site Questions and Comments section?

SeriousStudent
06-21-16, 23:43
Just an idea (possibly a bad one), but couldn't the mods just type, "Deleted Post" and leave the poster/post? That way, poster would see his/her post deleted & numbers would stay same. Probably a reason this isn't done though.

And here's the reason. I can make a questionable post "invisible" to everyone but the mods/staff, and ask someone to review it.

"I say, old boy. Would you mind glancing at post #56 in that frightful thread about the election over in the Colonies? There's a good chap."

If I actually delete it, then nobody can see it.

And if someone was actually being naughty (fat chance of that, huh?) then nobody else can review it, if it's a judgement call. And there's no "pattern" to examine when someone is clearly in the wrong.

You asked a good question, it's just not as easy as it would seem at first glance.

MookNW
06-22-16, 01:26
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about people who quote in two posts in a row?
I like the @tf82 technique. I know it's easy to quote, because there's a button for it, but just scrolling through all the hooey makes my teeth hurt. The Double tap is worse even.

usmcvet
06-22-16, 15:44
I like the @tf82 technique. I know it's easy to quote, because there's a button for it, but just scrolling through all the hooey makes my teeth hurt. The Double tap is worse even.

It can be very frustrating. It's much better now with internet speeds.