PDA

View Full Version : Handguards too hot in sunlight

chris.decker.944
06-19-16, 21:48
I never have a problem with the heat from the barrel, but today I was out in direct sunlight and my A2 handguards got too hot to hold. Are there any other hand guards that would fare better? (Metal vs plastic, free float vs 2-piece, desert tan vs black, etc.) I prefer holding the handguard directly, otherwise I'd use a forward grip. Should I just wear a glove?

bad aim
06-19-16, 22:00
I have found that spray-painted handguards don't get as hot.

Or wear gloves?

TMS951
06-19-16, 22:09
I have found that spray-painted handguards don't get as hot.

Or wear gloves?

It's about it being black more than anything else. Like a black car.

Paint it a light color like 'sand'

wildcard600
06-19-16, 22:32
This is one of the reasons why i like FDE so much as it dosen't get nearly as hot during a range session vs my OD or black furniture (due to sunlight that is).

Dionysusigma
06-19-16, 22:58
Gloves are useful for hot handguards/ protection against sharp things/ avoiding abrasion/ impact resistance. All gloves will reduce dexterity to some extent, though. Unless someone implements an idea I had a little while back of 1" laptop/GPU fans constantly circulating air through the fore end and barrel, things getting hot from burning propellant and solar radiation is a basic drawback of shooting.

Five5six
06-19-16, 22:58
+1 on the gloves.

kirkland
06-19-16, 23:07
Gloves are useful for hot handguards/ protection against sharp things/ avoiding abrasion/ impact resistance. All gloves will reduce dexterity to some extent, though. Unless someone implements an idea I had a little while back of 1" laptop/GPU fans constantly circulating air through the fore end and barrel, things getting hot from burning propellant and solar radiation is a basic drawback of shooting.

Oh you may be on to something there!

MistWolf
06-19-16, 23:15
This is why I avoid metal handguards and why my ARs are painted tans & light browns

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Liberty/ARPile002_zpsfe1ba810.jpg

titsonritz
06-20-16, 11:04
This is one of the reasons why i like FDE so much as it dosen't get nearly as hot during a range session vs my OD or black furniture (due to sunlight that is).

Exactly. Gloves don't work for the face.

SomeOtherGuy
06-20-16, 12:55
Most of my handguards are tan or gray partly for this reason.

Gloves are also a good idea, as much because of the gas block and exposed barrel as because of the handguard. But I shoot regularly without gloves, and yes gloves do reduce your dexterity somewhat.

Take off your black handguards, clean them with a water-based householder cleaner, then spray with Krylon camo or fusion in your choice of color.

trinydex
06-21-16, 11:56
leave guns in the shade. throw something over the guns if you're in the desert.

Bacon Six Actual
06-21-16, 15:57
Paint it, wear gloves and grow a beard, or just don't be a girl about it.

Iraqgunz
06-21-16, 16:16
Time to move on.