PDA

View Full Version : Interesting weapons seizure at Holland Tunnel, NYC

rocsteady
06-21-16, 18:21
A trio of gun nuts from Pennsylvania were busted Tuesday morning as they tried to enter the Holland Tunnel armed to the teeth in a souped-up truck — and claimed they were on a mission to rescue a kidnapped friend, law enforcement sources said.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/21/3-arrested-with-loaded-guns-body-armor-at-holland-tunnel/

rocsteady
06-21-16, 18:24
Would have been less obvious if they had chosen to drive a tank!

ETA local news is now reporting that the female they were going to "rescue" has been contacted and was not in need of any rescue

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-21-16, 18:35
A trio of gun nuts from Pennsylvania were busted Tuesday morning as they tried to enter the Holland Tunnel armed to the teeth in a souped-up truck — and claimed they were on a mission to rescue a kidnapped friend, law enforcement sources said.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/21/3-arrested-with-loaded-guns-body-armor-at-holland-tunnel/

I saw that movie!

Firefly
06-21-16, 18:42
I watched enough Eek the Cat as a lad to know that it always hurts to help.

Leave it in God's hands.

Alex V
06-21-16, 19:25
The best part is the .50cal bottle opener. I'm sure that's a super dangerous item. After all, it can open large illegal sugary drinks.

I don't really see any ammo either lol.

cougar_guy04
06-21-16, 19:31
Good grief. At least they went low-key with taking the shop truck instead of taking something conspicuous.

The sticker on the ammo can is a nice touch.

Also, obligatory:
http://m.quickmeme.com/img/66/661e54c8e253ef02649f59d6ced3ef7fd11b60f21dc6412fd55469cf3c86ddcd.jpg

Outlander Systems
06-21-16, 19:35
LOLz @ "Night Goggles."

WTAF!?

Arik
06-21-16, 19:35
The best part is the .50cal bottle opener. I'm sure that's a super dangerous item. After all, it can open large illegal sugary drinks.

The ammo was kept in a different building for fear of the AR mowing down hundreds of innocent civilians

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cougar_guy04
06-21-16, 19:39

That was in another picture:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Holland-Tunnel-Arrest-Weapon-Ammon-Ballistic-Vests-Terrorism-Investigation-New-York-383805691.html

JC5188
06-21-16, 19:40
I don't ever want to hear from folks up north about rednecks down south....

LOL!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arik
06-21-16, 19:46
Love the color coded red, white and blue shotgun shells and the "shoot your local heroin dealer" ammo can

Big A
06-21-16, 19:51
LOLz @ "Night Goggles."

WTAF!?

This article is so weird.<br />
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Holland-Tunnel-Arrest-Weapon-Ammon-Ballistic-Vests-Terrorism-Investigation-New-York-383805691.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand<br />
<br />
<b> 3 Arrested With Multiple Loaded Guns, Knives, Body Armor at Holland Tunnel on Way to NYC</b><br />
<br />
No names. No nothing? Just &quot;gun enthusiasts&quot; riding into NYC with AR15s in plain view? whatttt<br />
<br />
From the link:<br />

The guns seized included long-range weapons as well as handguns. <b>A camouflage helmet with what appeared to be night goggles was also recovered</b>.<br />
<br />
I know I want some NODs the size and shape of ballistic goggles. Anyone else?<br />
<br />

Drugs were in the vehicle along with the guns, according to one law enforcement official. <b>One of the suspects allegedly told authorities the trio was en route to Queens to try to save a friend who is on heroin and being held against her will.</b> Police are looking for the possible woman in Queens.<br />
<br />
And the ammo can in the photo conveniently has a decal on it that says &quot;shoot your local heroin dealer&quot;. And where is the crack in the windshield of the vehicle photographed that initiated the traffic stop?<br />
<br />
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................

Arik
06-21-16, 19:53
I've been through that tunnel on the NY side. 3 hours to move .8 miles!!!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160622/5a7efa1a2ee4836ba9bd40d9da29b401.jpg

TF82
06-21-16, 20:26
Hm, I wonder how this is going to shake out. I'm no expert in NJ gun laws, but I doubt they're worse than NY's so they're stopped for a broken windshield the officer observes what appear to be two legal pistol magazines and that constitutes probable cause? Maybe the totality of the circumstances that being the presence of the pistol magazines in a truck advertising the presence of guns occupied by out of state residents who don't have NJ pistol permits. I guess I could see that working out. I wonder what the condition of the weapons was inside the vehicle and what statements, other than going to rescue a friend in NY (great idea), were made. Finally, how much stuff did they pack that they couldn't just throw that cooler in the bed?

That was finally until I looked at their website. It appears that they also sell chips, which I think is kind of a nice touch.

AKDoug
06-21-16, 20:52
Hm, I wonder how this is going to shake out. I'm no expert in NJ gun laws, but I doubt they're worse than NY's so they're stopped for a broken windshield the officer observes what appear to be two legal pistol magazines and that constitutes probable cause? Maybe the totality of the circumstances that being the presence of the pistol magazines in a truck advertising the presence of guns occupied by out of state residents who don't have NJ pistol permits. I guess I could see that working out. I wonder what the condition of the weapons was inside the vehicle and what statements, other than going to rescue a friend in NY (great idea), were made. Finally, how much stuff did they pack that they couldn't just throw that cooler in the bed?

That was finally until I looked at their website. It appears that they also sell chips, which I think is kind of a nice touch.

Jersey's laws are way worse than New York's in regards to firearms.

Benito
06-21-16, 20:57
Obligatory "AR-15 assault rifle" nonsense thrown in as usual.

P2000
06-21-16, 21:12
I see a barrel shroud on that assault shotgun, big enough to obscure the bead sight so that everyone gets aimed at the same time. And look at that assault bandoleer with red, white and blue assault shells, each color represents a different way to violate someone's gender identity, or possibly they are gang colors. Could they be in three gangs all at once? I'm glad everyone is OK. 😁

Arik
06-21-16, 21:25

Ask Alex.

I think they are allowed up to 15 round mag. No muzzle devices and stocks have to be pinned. HP ammo seems to be a maybe.

So those 1911s would be fine as far as mags go. I'm guessing those arnt 15 rounds or less Pmags though. And that looks like a muzzle device in the AR pistol. Guessing the shotgun stock isn't pinned

Actually aside from the AR mags I don't know. People do go from Pa to shoot at Ft Dix in NJ so that's obviously legal.

SeriousStudent
06-21-16, 23:46
I take more stuff to the range on a Saturday.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooosers.

SteyrAUG
06-22-16, 00:01
I read up to the part that said "rescue a friend on heroin" and stopped caring about any of them.

Moose-Knuckle
06-22-16, 03:11

They made a movie about them . . . in 1986!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ekCmgdbJc

Moose-Knuckle
06-22-16, 03:25
LOLz @ "Night Goggles."

WTAF!?

Dodge SUV?! Umm, that was a Dodge Ram truck, short bed with a camper.

They failed to list the 12 gauge pump as an Assault Shotgun and those assault knives as well.

Looks like the truck of one of those weekend warrior types who are into Zombie cosplay from TOS. But vehicle wraps are all the rage these days, if you look at the pic it's obvious the owner also owns a LGS.

My LGS has a Ford F-150 Raptor with custom wrap in bright colors with firearm industry logos all over it. Parked out front in the parking lot gets a lot of attention from the street.

rocsteady
06-22-16, 05:09
Ask Alex.

I think they are allowed up to 15 round mag. No muzzle devices and stocks have to be pinned. HP ammo seems to be a maybe.

So those 1911s would be fine as far as mags go. I'm guessing those arnt 15 rounds or less Pmags though. And that looks like a muzzle device in the AR pistol. Guessing the shotgun stock isn't pinned

Actually aside from the AR mags I don't know. People do go from Pa to shoot at Ft Dix in NJ so that's obviously legal.

So , FOPA says you can take a gun that you legally own in one state and travel through another as long as your point of destination is somewhere that you're allowed to own that gun. However you can't go from PA into New Jersey and shoot at Fort Dix unless one of two things happens, first you can go to a "training" range with almost any type of rifle, but if it's not designated as a training range the gun has to be legal in New Jersey ( pinned stock, pinned compensator, no bayonet lug and absolutely no 30 Rd magazine as they carry double extra evil in NJ)

JC5188
06-22-16, 05:31

Wasn't even a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arik
06-22-16, 07:18
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/21/gun-nuts-drove-monster-truck-to-nyc-to-rescue-heroin-addict.html

Update. Looks like he had just lost his daughter to heroin.

It appears they are about an hour from me.

Alex V
06-22-16, 07:22
Ask Alex.

The NJ assault weapons ban is similar to the national one we had. After all, the '94 federal ban was based on the '93 NJ ban from what I have been told. ARs can only have two evil features: 1. pistol grip, 2. detachable box magazine, 3. collapsible stock, 4. bayo lug, 5. flash hider. Since they have 1 and 2 by default, 3-5 have to be removed. This means pinned stock, no bayo lug and brake or comp pinned/welded to barrel regardless of barrel length.

If you look the AR these knuckleheads had, it ha a pistol receiver extension with foam padding. AR pistols are illegal in NJ and NY regardless of evil feature count.

Yes, mags have to be 15 rounds or less, I doubt those are pinned/modified PMags and Hexmags. NY the limit is 10.

Jersey's laws are way worse than New York's in regards to firearms.

In some cases yes, in some no. NJ can have 2 "evil features" on an AR, NY can have ZERO!. NJ is 15 rounds, NY is 10. IN NY to buy a handgun you need a 9 month review and a carry permit. In the 5 boroughs and LI the NYPD "Administratively Restricts" your carry permit for To and From the range. In upstate NY this is usually not done, so you have a real carry permit but it doesn't work in NYC.

As do I lol

So , FOPA says you can take a gun that you legally own in one state and travel through another as long as your point of destination is somewhere that you're allowed to own that gun. However you can't go from PA into New Jersey and shoot at Fort Dix unless one of two things happens, first you can go to a "training" range with almost any type of rifle, but if it's not designated as a training range the gun has to be legal in New Jersey ( pinned stock, pinned compensator, no bayonet lug and absolutely no 30 Rd magazine as they carry double extra evil in NJ)

What is a training range? I thought as long as the gun is legal in NJ, you can bring it to an NJ range and shoot.

By the way an NJ judge ruled that an NRA sticker on your vehicle is enough PC to pull over and search. Fun, ain't it?

Arik
06-22-16, 07:29

I'm not sure if Ft. Dix counts as a "training tange" but I know of enough Pa guys that go there consistently enough that I'm guessing there are certain rules allowing this. Personally I don't know why they do this but they do. We certainly have plenty of ranges on this side but whatever floats their boat. The only time I step foot in NJ is if it's work related or if I'm going to their liquor stores. PA liquor stores suck, there are probably better liquor stores in Saudi Arabia. Either way I go unnamed

rocsteady
06-22-16, 07:47
The NJ assault weapons ban is similar to the national one we had. After all, the '94 federal ban was based on the '93 NJ ban from what I have been told. ARs can only have two evil features: 1. pistol grip, 2. detachable box magazine, 3. collapsible stock, 4. bayo lug, 5. flash hider. Since they have 1 and 2 by default, 3-5 have to be removed. This means pinned stock, no bayo lug and brake or comp pinned/welded to barrel regardless of barrel length.

If you look the AR these knuckleheads had, it ha a pistol receiver extension with foam padding. AR pistols are illegal in NJ and NY regardless of evil feature count.

Yes, mags have to be 15 rounds or less, I doubt those are pinned/modified PMags and Hexmags. NY the limit is 10.

In some cases yes, in some no. NJ can have 2 "evil features" on an AR, NY can have ZERO!. NJ is 15 rounds, NY is 10. IN NY to buy a handgun you need a 9 month review and a carry permit. In the 5 boroughs and LI the NYPD "Administratively Restricts" your carry permit for To and From the range. In upstate NY this is usually not done, so you have a real carry permit but it doesn't work in NYC.

As do I lol

What is a training range? I thought as long as the gun is legal in NJ, you can bring it to an NJ range and shoot.

By the way an NJ judge ruled that an NRA sticker on your vehicle is enough PC to pull over and search. Fun, ain't it?

I was actually speaking from my perspective as a federal LEO, and when we are doing training for work at our range on Fort Dix I can bring the long guns even though they are not New Jersey legal. But right down the street is Range 14, which is a public range and I cannot go there after training is over with the AR still in my vehicle. Matter of fact I can't even make a stop to visit or do anything else other than head straight back to New York after it's over or I would be considered a felon.

Obviously, this makes everyone in New Jersey much, much safer

rocsteady
06-22-16, 07:54
The more I think about it, I believe that if they were just heads up to say they were heading to Maine or someplace where they could legally own those guns and just said they were heading to a range there to shoot, then they may have been OK under the Firearms owners protection act

Alex V
06-22-16, 08:12
I was actually speaking from my perspective as a federal LEO, and when we are doing training for work at our range on Fort Dix I can bring the long guns even though they are not New Jersey legal. But right down the street is Range 14, which is a public range and I cannot go there after training is over with the AR still in my vehicle. Matter of fact I can't even make a stop to visit or do anything else other than head straight back to New York after it's over or I would be considered a felon.

Obviously, this makes everyone in New Jersey much, much safer

Oh, okay.. Gotcha. Yes cause R14 is a public range so as long as the gun in NJ legal you are good to go.

Arik
06-22-16, 08:58
The more I think about it, I believe that if they were just heads up to say they were heading to Maine or someplace where they could legally own those guns and just said they were heading to a range there to shoot, then they may have been OK under the Firearms owners protection act
Through NYC Holland tunnel? Maybe up 287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge or 87 way up to Albany but going into Midtown Manhattan up through Harlem and up into either Mt. Vernon or Yonkers? I don't think any cop from that area would have bought that.

ColtSeavers
06-22-16, 09:10

I'm going to go with this, minus the knives and bottle opener. That 'weapons cache' seems pretty mundane to me.

rocsteady
06-22-16, 09:41
Through NYC Holland tunnel? Maybe up 287 to the Tappan Zee Bridge or 87 way up to Albany but going into Midtown Manhattan up through Harlem and up into either Mt. Vernon or Yonkers? I don't think any cop from that area would have bought that.

I'm saying it would have been a much, much better thing to say then "we're going to Queens on a vigilante mission". Then you could argue that you are just not good with a map rather than being in the mess they're in now.

CoryCop25
06-22-16, 10:40
Sooooooooooo......

I know this guy. He was a potential business partner. We decided to re-open an indoor range that had been closed for several years. The timing was right because the only other indoor range in the area was about to close.
I knew the building owners and did a nice pitch to get them to lease us the property. We began remodeling (He is a carpenter by trade who was on disability, and pain pills, after a fall) and it was looking to be a nice place. I had a classroom for 40+ students and a rather large gunsmith shop. There were many environmental issues that had to be fixed and I had two crews that were working on them for free until Cramsey pushed them away, going the route of cutting many corners which later cost him $125K in OSHA fines. About 75% of the way completed, Cramsey decided that he wanted free laborers and hooked up with a local group called Lehigh Valley Open Carry. Due to their very anti-police views, I voiced my opinion against their presence, not to mention having some of my tools stolen, and I was quickly ousted from the business.
Cramsey was more interested in making a quick buck by renting lanes to any idiot and my view for this place was more geared toward professional training and instruction.
During his 2 short years of operation, I would get reports of some of the goofy things that would go on in that place. This winter, his daughter was found dead in a warehouse with another male. The bodies were severely decomposed and it took a bit to determine the cause of death which, expectedly, was a heroine overdose. Use of pills and later heroine was not a secret with that group later in the game. The last I heard about Cramsey was that he was actually living in that truck. I'm sure losing a child to anything is devastating but when you add the Elmer Fuddness to the mix things got real stupid real quick. There is also a husband and wife that worked at the range. They live in the town where I work. They went through a nasty divorce and you can't believe all the shenanigans they were pulling. Apparently stupid breeds stupid at Higher Ground Tactical.

djegators
06-22-16, 11:11
Sooooooooooo......

I know this guy. He was a potential business partner. We decided to re-open an indoor range that had been closed for several years. The timing was right because the only other indoor range in the area was about to close.
I knew the building owners and did a nice pitch to get them to lease us the property. We began remodeling (He is a carpenter by trade who was on disability, and pain pills, after a fall) and it was looking to be a nice place. I had a classroom for 40+ students and a rather large gunsmith shop. There were many environmental issues that had to be fixed and I had two crews that were working on them for free until Cramsey pushed them away, going the route of cutting many corners which later cost him $125K in OSHA fines. About 75% of the way completed, Cramsey decided that he wanted free laborers and hooked up with a local group called Lehigh Valley Open Carry. Due to their very anti-police views, I voiced my opinion against their presence, not to mention having some of my tools stolen, and I was quickly ousted from the business.
Cramsey was more interested in making a quick buck by renting lanes to any idiot and my view for this place was more geared toward professional training and instruction.
During his 2 short years of operation, I would get reports of some of the goofy things that would go on in that place. This winter, his daughter was found dead in a warehouse with another male. The bodies were severely decomposed and it took a bit to determine the cause of death which, expectedly, was a heroine overdose. Use of pills and later heroine was not a secret with that group later in the game. The last I heard about Cramsey was that he was actually living in that truck. I'm sure losing a child to anything is devastating but when you add the Elmer Fuddness to the mix things got real stupid real quick. There is also a husband and wife that worked at the range. They live in the town where I work. They went through a nasty divorce and you can't believe all the shenanigans they were pulling. Apparently stupid breeds stupid at Higher Ground Tactical.

Wow....

djegators
06-22-16, 11:14

No doubt....last week I had 4 ARs, 4 9mm pistols, and 2 10/22s.

Yesterday had two ARs, and about 6 pistols.

Arik
06-22-16, 12:05
Sooooooooooo......

I actually thought about you when I read the news. Not to sound weird lol. I was like...."I think we have a cop from Emmaus on this board! Wonder if he knows the guy"

I go up there a few times a year to Shangy's

CoryCop25
06-22-16, 17:08
I actually thought about you when I read the news. Not to sound weird lol. I was like...."I think we have a cop from Emmaus on this board! Wonder if he knows the guy"

I go up there a few times a year to Shangy's

Shangy's is 2 blocks from my house.... Hit me up for a cold one next time you are in town.

Firefly
06-22-16, 17:33
Lately I just take my 10/22 and a .38.
I need to lug my KAC again but being gun poor, it makes me leery to shoot any of my FGMM as that is my putting away ammo.

But yeah just looking at that truck reminded me of Mountain Dew

Safetyhit
06-22-16, 18:47
Sooooooooooo......

Now I can see why your text was less than sympathetic. Having daughters yourself I thought that maybe there may be a degree of, dare I say for lack of a better term, "understanding" that just perhaps a good, well intended fellow may have been pushed over the edge mentally by the loss. However the full story explains quite a bit so I'll revert back to my initial assessment.

Plus after seeing the vehicle they apparently hoped to drive around NYC in loaded with no-no's and drugs while taking selfies smiling like they were headed to Disneyland...well let's just likewise hope that the election insanity makes this incident suddenly become a distant and irrelevant memory.

Arik
06-22-16, 18:49
Shangy's is 2 blocks from my house.... Hit me up for a cold one next time you are in town.
Will do

CoryCop25
06-23-16, 09:26
Two thoughts I have about this incident......

Stopped for a broken windshield???? No friggin way! Someone tipped the police off. Cramsey has burned a lot of bridges lately. Millions of vehicles on that road per day and a cop is going to waste his/her time making a stop for an equipment violation???

My opinion on the media coverage was that they were trying to take the spotlight off the terrorism aspect and move it to those evil guns.

TF82
06-23-16, 23:37
Sooooooooooo......

Just one question, which side of potato chips for sale at the counter would you have come down on?

Eurodriver
06-23-16, 23:53
Crazy! M4C is a small world! :)

Guys like that give us a bad name. But guys like Cory make it better. I wish you had gotten your chance to make that range, it sounded like something with potential.

CoryCop25
06-24-16, 10:25
Crazy! M4C is a small world! :)

Guys like that give us a bad name. But guys like Cory make it better. I wish you had gotten your chance to make that range, it sounded like something with potential.

I had it all set up. I was going to have the local community college doing armed security certification classes, constable training classes and we were going to do an all woman CCW class. Not to mention the fact that I could get some real known people to come teach. Sometimes you gotta know when to walk away. It sucks because there was real potential to make good money. But when you have a guy who wants to cut every corner including not getting an FFL and using his own personal guns as rentals, the red flag went way up!

Arik
06-24-16, 11:09
I had it all set up. I was going to have the local community college doing armed security certification classes, constable training classes and we were going to do an all woman CCW class. Not to mention the fact that I could get some real known people to come teach. Sometimes you gotta know when to walk away. It sucks because there was real potential to make good money. But when you have a guy who wants to cut every corner including not getting an FFL and using his own personal guns as rentals, the red flag went way up!
Damn that's a shame too cause there isn't much around here in the way of training and I can't pick up and leave for classes in other states. The time off + transportation + hotel + instructor fee......it's not doable. But to be able to drive an hour or so would be awesome

S&T is around here but that all.

CoryCop25
06-24-16, 11:46
S&T is top notch.
I was going to have them there regularly.
I've been RSO for him lately, he's a good friend.

Arik
06-24-16, 12:18
I was there for the rifle class in April? When it started raining and then snowing and raining again!

sgtrock82
06-24-16, 16:38
I was there for the rifle class in April? When it started raining and then snowing and raining again!

Ive been curious, where or how does one sign up for these S&T/ steel city classes?

Arik
06-24-16, 16:42
Ive been curious, where or how does one sign up for these S&T/ steel city classes?
Check their website S&T training. He also posts here in the training section

WickedWillis
06-24-16, 17:05
Everyone knows it wasn't a busted windshield. His boasting on social media about where he was, and where he was going, and what he was going to do when he got there is what got them "randomly" stopped. Seriously, way to allow the Government to go easy mode on tracking your ass. I'm sorry that he lost his Daughter, but it seems this guys was well on his way to a confrontation with Law Enforcement at some point along his vigilante journey.

Arik
06-24-16, 17:28
I'm trying to figure out what that "MERICA" double stack extended mag goes to!? Looks like all the handguns are 1911 ish

cougar_guy04
06-24-16, 17:56
I'm trying to figure out what that "MERICA" double stack extended mag goes to!? Looks like all the handguns are 1911 ish

Looks like a mag for an Uzi/Colt pattern 9mm carbine.

Alex V
06-24-16, 18:38

You have to email Joe directly. Really nice guy it seems. I'll be taking two of his classes later this summer/fall.

CoryCop25
06-25-16, 10:40

I was there.
Joe is good with email so hit him up for a class. If for whatever reason you don't get in touch with him, shoot me a message and I will call him.