PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Gen 3 Lower: Install "tension screw"

Armadillo
06-21-16, 22:42
I have contacted Noveske to get a replacement tension screw that I lost. In case they don't get back to me, does anyone know where to get some? Also, how are they to be installed inside the lower and with what tools?

What does the top of the screw put pressure on to keep the upper tighter?

Below is all I can find on the subject...

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=665029

scooter22
06-21-16, 23:04
It put's pressure on the upper receiver tab that the take-down pin goes through.

It's installed from the bottom. You have to remove the grip.

It's there to ensure a tighter fit, if that's something your concerned about.

Iraqgunz
06-21-16, 23:40
Unnecessary and doesn't do anything unless you are OCD. Finish your build and shoot it.

I have contacted Noveske to get a replacement tension screw that I lost. In case they don't get back to me, does anyone know where to get some? Also, how are they to be installed inside the lower and with what tools?

What does the top of the screw put pressure on to keep the upper tighter?

Below is all I can find on the subject...

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=665029

Eurodriver
06-22-16, 08:41
Noveske has gone full retard lately.

Seriously. Poor John.

themonk
06-22-16, 08:52
This is the part - http://amzn.to/28M8tBa

GH41
06-22-16, 10:09
It put's pressure on the upper receiver tab that the take-down pin goes through.

It's installed from the bottom. You have to remove the grip.

It's there to ensure a tighter fit, if that's something your concerned about.

Not all grips have to be removed. My B5 is drilled for it and it would be easy to drill any other for access. I have a Mega lower with the screw but I wouldn't pay extra for it. The whole loose fit crap is just that. Crap.

sig1473
06-22-16, 11:55
Odd, my Noveske Gen3 Chainsaw Lower I recently purchased has no tension screw for it. Lucky me I guess.

Skyyr
06-22-16, 14:48
Noveske has gone full retard lately.

Seriously. Poor John.

Agreed. Sad, but agreed.

I wanted to put together some more precision builds before the next panic and I desperately wanted them to be Noveske, but they're just not the same. Billet receivers, tension screws, using DPMS LPK's - just not the same no-frills badassery they used to be.

I ended up buying all of the components stripped so I could build a quality Gen 1 Noveske the way I wanted it, but I think that's it for me for Noveske.

^Rb
06-22-16, 16:15
using DPMS LPK's

Can you cite your source for this please? I'm immediately skeptical and dismissive.

Skyyr
06-22-16, 16:27
Can you cite your source for this please? I'm immediately skeptical and dismissive.

Directly per Noveske, over the phone. In fact, I called back and talked to two different people to confirm - they've been using DPMS parts kits for at least a year or so. Their exact words, when asked, were "DPMS, or whatever is available." I asked what was being used on current builds and they said DPMS.

In fairness, it's not that DPMS can't produce a quality part, it's all of the junk/out-of-spec parts that are mixed in. If you went through and culled the DPMS parts for only in-spec ones, they would likely be just as good as Colt or LMT. The problem is that few places would go through the effort, and I suspect that Noveske isn't either.

Also, I think a DPMS parts kit is still fine for the majority of lowers. In my experience, a parts kit either works or it doesn't, with exception to some of the high wear items like bolt catches and triggers. My main issue is the premium being charged for the rifles. While everyone else's prices have for the most part went down (or remained the same), Noveske's have went up. It just becomes super hard to justify the cost in light of this.

But don't take my word for it - feel free to call them and ask them yourself.

Please don't take any of this as Noveske bashing - I'm not. I have several of their rifles, so I'm more just disappointed at the direction they've went and that I can't justify recommending them at their current price and in their current state. YMMV

Armadillo
08-05-16, 00:59
I finally got around to order some from Noveske.

The rep answered my email promptly and gave me his extension.

I called and got the parts for a good price + shipping.

He took the time to explain their use and answer a few more questions.

Despite just ordering screws, the rep was patient and friendly.

Keep in mind that some Gen 3 lowers (newer?) have a different thread pitch.

I can't remember what the prefix letter was but you will need it to be sure you are getting the correct tension screw.

I probably won't need these but I'm glad I have them.

I stored them in a special container that has tiny parts.