PDA

View Full Version : Advice on build

mikelowrey
06-22-16, 00:37
Hey Gang,

Since I cant have a SBR I been looking into building a pistol. Now, I have done my research and search different sites for answers about having a 7.5 in AR Pistol and all I have read is bad things about it. Let me state this information is about 2-3 years old and was looking to see if there is new improvements and to see if it is still worth it to build a 7.5. You might ask: What's the purpose? Simple, I want to build the smallest 223 AR Pistol possible to be able to have in a very discreet bag. Dont get me wrong, everybody I read recommends the 10.3 but if I go with that I would not be able to make it very portable. If my calculations are correct, getting a 7.5 with a SB-tactical SBM4 (folded) Ill be looking at around 17-18 inches Total which would be great for a bag I have that have an inside space of 19 inches.

What ya say? TIA

bruin
06-22-16, 00:50
Get a Law Tactical folding stock adapter if you want the smallest 5.56 AR pistol possible. Folding 10.3" or 11.5" is worlds better than a collapsible brace 7.5".

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mikelowrey
06-22-16, 00:59
Get a Law Tactical folding stock adapter if you want the smallest 5.56 AR pistol possible. Folding 10.3" or 11.5" is worlds better than a collapsible brace 7.5".

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the quick reply, that thing is what I meant to say in the OP, to use it with a SBM4, I thought that it came with it but it looks I am wrong. I was looking a Radical Firearms through Primary arms, reviews shows good things, any experiences? I wish I could get a MK18 but is out of budget.

Leaveammoforme
06-22-16, 03:52
If you're set on 7.5" 5.56 you'll want to go piston. Otherwise don't waste your money.

The Adams Arms/Huldra factory built set-up works. If it's out of your budget you should go 11.5" with any of the actual quality manufacturers.

http://www.adamsarms.net/7-5-pdw-tactical-elite-upper

mikelowrey
06-22-16, 11:54
If you're set on 7.5" 5.56 you'll want to go piston. Otherwise don't waste your money.

The Adams Arms/Huldra factory built set-up works. If it's out of your budget you should go 11.5" with any of the actual quality manufacturers.

http://www.adamsarms.net/7-5-pdw-tactical-elite-upper

Thanks for that option @Leaveammoforme, This one looks very promising, do I need to worry about any problems like I have read about this size?

daddyusmaximus
06-22-16, 12:34
If I was set on .223/5.56 I'd go with the Law Tactical folder and a 10.5" barrel.

If I wanted a shorter barrel, I'd look at .300 Blackout.

I sold a 7.5" 5.56 that ran like a Swiss watch, wish I'd kept it, but by all accounts, I got very lucky getting the combination of parts just right.

Leaveammoforme
06-22-16, 13:08
Thanks for that option @Leaveammoforme, This one looks very promising, do I need to worry about any problems like I have read about this size?

Nope, boring'ly reliable. Mine is one of the earlier ones and is factory ported to run on a carbine buffer.

The only issue I've ever had was when I installed a Ciener 22LR conversion. I ran about 50 rounds through it. Problem showed up when I removed the conversion and attempted to turn the gas back on.

Gas plug was major stuck and would not turn. After a few minutes of piddling around it finally broke loose. Amazing amount of trash from .222 projectiles rattling down a .224 bore had jammed it up.

That's when I learned my lesson on the 22 conversion and wondered how much trash must be in peoples DI guns that use them.

mikelowrey
06-22-16, 23:05
Thank you again,

One last thing, Since I don't have one, how or where can I find the overall size of a 7.5 & 10.3 upper? I have looked everywhere but only find total size of the whole rifle.

Leaveammoforme
06-23-16, 03:06
I don't own a 10.3" but I do have an 11.5". Rough measurement from forward assist to end of A2 flash hiders.

7.5" AA barreled upper is 16.5"

11.5" BCM barreled upper is 20.5"

All things the same, I assume we could subtract 1.2" from 20.5" and end up 19.3" as an overall length for a 10.3" barreled upper.

You could shave a little more length by removing the forward assist and installing a thread protector on the muzzle. Although I would recommend a bigger bag before going that route.