PDA

View Full Version : Dead Air Ghost Review

mikeyd501
06-22-16, 10:58
I recently purchased a Ghost M (6/20/16) based on reviews like this one from NFA Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7hWbTQdyJE. When I inspected the box I noticed that it only had one end cap. Later I called Dead Air and spoke with someone who had to check with someone else about the end cap and I was told they changed the design and that the new end cap would take the wipe. Great news! I then inquired about getting the piston that I needed and was told that he did not believe it came with one unless I paid full retail but he would check and call me back. What the? I was at a business lunch when he called me back so I did not want to go further into it with him but he said they do not offer pistons.

I called them this morning as I had some time and I spoke with Brent Taylor who is the Director of Customer Relationships. I explained to him I made my decision to purchase this based on several factors, one of them being that it came with a piston. I explained that the video which features the owner, Mike Pappas, says you get a piston (1:12 mark on the video). Nothing on their website, which I went through, contradicts this statement.

The response and attitude from Mr. Taylor was that of going to the DMV. He could care less about making this right with me and said that I could go to my dealer and ask for a refund. I hope they correct their website soon so that no one else is misled like I was. Maybe they can put a disclaimer on the YouTube video as well.

Of all the other suppressors that I own, this was by far the worst experience (customer service) that I have had. I own Gemtec, SEI, Innovative Arms, Silencerco and AWC. I would put SEI customer service head and shoulders above what I got from Brent Taylor.

You don't get a piston when you buy a Dead Air Ghost. That is my public service announcement. I will let you know my thoughts on the can when I shoot it (fingers crossed).

MD

NWS
06-22-16, 23:51
I did get one with my Ghost from Quiet Riot but it was advertised as coming with one from the dealer. It is dealer specific like some other manufacturers. I do agree that there was some early information that caused some confusion. Originally both end caps would be supplied but now only just the wipe one with no plans to make the flat one. Sucks that your dealer didn't include a piston if they made you believe it was going to come with one.

Chuck TX
06-23-16, 01:02
That's a bummer. Looks like it depends on the dealer. With Capitol Armory there's a drop down to select which piston you want with it (no apparent extra charge). Did you get it on a discount?

I was contemplating a DA Ghost but there was too much uncertainty of when they'd be available so I went with an Octane 45. Kind of wish I'd pounced on a Rugged Obsidian when I had the opportunity. So ist das leben.

mikeyd501
06-23-16, 01:05
It wasn't the dealer that led me to believe that. It was the promotional video that I linked in my first post. I understand that things change but the manufacture or the distributor (Brent Taylor) need to get their information out in a clear and concise manor and then take care of the customer when they have these issues.

They want down a few pegs in my book. They may or may not have the best can going but they lost me as a repeat customer when they had a chance to do the right thing and then blew it!

Mike

mikeyd501
06-23-16, 01:13
That's a bummer. Looks like it depends on the dealer. With Capitol Armory there's a drop down to select which piston you want with it (no apparent extra charge). Did you get it on a discount?

I was contemplating a DA Ghost but there was too much uncertainty of when they'd be available so I went with an Octane 45. Kind of wish I'd pounced on a Rugged Obsidian when I had the opportunity. So ist das leben.

Chuck,
It is a $70 piston at retail. I'm guessing $30 cost to the manufacture. The manufacture and distributor could have had a disclaimer out 10 minutes after talking to me about this issue and maybe had to give away a couple of pistons. Big deal. Once they had the lid shut on the confusion they would not have to honor the "piston is included with the cost of the can" video SANFU.

Short sighted on Brent's part. I guess that's one way to run your business and treat your customers.

Mike

vereceleritas
06-23-16, 11:27
I think what people in this thread are trying to tell you, is to check with your dealer first. Most pistol suppressors don't ship with a piston in the box so that the customer can choose which thread pitch they want. It's usually the dealer's responsibility to ask you which piston you want and included it when you pick up the suppressor.

The if you "paid full retail" comment from Dead Air is implying that the dealer should have charged you less if they didn't include a piston with your Ghost. That leads me to believe that a piston should have been included. You need to have a talk with your dealer about that.

mikeyd501
06-23-16, 11:43
I am totally aware how piston deals work. Have you looked at their website and the YouTube video?

Mike

CRNA
06-23-16, 12:04
I was turned off by the ghost because they refused to disclose any decible numbers.

vereceleritas
06-23-16, 12:46
I've looked at both the video and their website. I don't know what I'm supposed to get out of it. Are you upset about them not including both end caps, not having a piston, or both?

If it's about the piston, your dealer likely has it, which is why I recommended you talk to them. Since you know how piston deals work, you know that the dealer is responsible for supplying you the piston.

If it's about the end caps, yeah, that is on Dead Air for changing course and not letting it be well known.

NWS
06-23-16, 12:52
I was turned off by the ghost because they refused to disclose any decible numbers.

They didn't post any partial numbers until they were completed with all the tests. They publish numbers in their manual page 4 http://deadairsilencers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Ghost-Manual-Low-Res.pdf

Also numbers are good but the tone is what really stands out. Very impressive feedback from people who attended suppressor shoots to hear it live with many other cans. The Obsidian and Ghost are top performers.

NWS
06-23-16, 12:54
If it's about the end caps, yeah, that is on Dead Air for changing course and not letting it be well known.

They definitely should have been a little more upfront that the details may change as I feel it was rushed for pre-shot show and shot show videos. Beyond the end cap change it also wasn't listed that the extended baffles and tube are aluminum. Their site only mentioned Ti and 17-4 for a long time.

Eurodriver
06-23-16, 19:07
This is why I just buy known quantities from known dealers.

Sucks for the new guys, but my money is hard earned and I'm not trying to be a Guinea pig.

Why did you get this suppressor? What benefit does it offer over the more established brands?

mikeyd501
06-23-16, 20:14
My money is also hard earned and I buy what I want. Due to my job I can afford to. This is not their first venture into making suppressors nor is it my first time buying one. It might be the best can made but I'm not crazy about their customer service.

But I appreciate your concern.

Mike

ETA; If it was perfectly clear from the get go I still would have bought the can, I'm just giving you the heads up on their customer service. I will report back on how I like the can when I have a chance to shoot it.

Eurodriver
06-23-16, 21:12
No need to get defensive homie. You're right, you can spend your money however you wish.

But when you stray from the big names in the gun realm this type of result is what you get more often than not - I was just trying to understand your reasoning for buying it.

Does it perform better than the competition? Lighter? Outside of the customer service dickhead experience do you like it?

Chuck TX
06-24-16, 22:31
Chuck,
It is a $70 piston at retail. I'm guessing $30 cost to the manufacture. The manufacture and distributor could have had a disclaimer out 10 minutes after talking to me about this issue and maybe had to give away a couple of pistons. Big deal. Once they had the lid shut on the confusion they would not have to honor the "piston is included with the cost of the can" video SANFU.

Short sighted on Brent's part. I guess that's one way to run your business and treat your customers.

Mike

No, I dig what you're saying. I also thought, from the way the Ghost is presented, that it came with the two end caps and a piston. When they're running ~$850 one would expect it to be ready to rock right out of the box. Hell, for that much some extra wipes would be nice.

This is why I just buy known quantities from known dealers.

Sucks for the new guys, but my money is hard earned and I'm not trying to be a Guinea pig.

Why did you get this suppressor? What benefit does it offer over the more established brands?

Dead Air (and Rugged) were both started by some of the people that made SilencerCo the behemoth it is today. People that are very well established in the industry. So while the companies may be relatively new, the folks behind them have proven themselves.

The Dead Air Ghost is a modular 45 can that has about the longest and shortest configurations out IIRC. Plus the addition of an optional wipe end cap (or rather optional non-wipe end cap it seems, LoL). It boasts some pretty impressive #'s. Well balanced and seems impressively quiet wet with the wipe. Certainly has a lot of appeal. Personally, I'm still on the fence with the Ghost because of the Alum 2 front baffles (last I heard). Plus the pistons are proprietary instead of being swappable with SiCo like Rugged's. Enough to give me pause.

The problem in this case is they seemingly changed what is included with the Ghost without making it known. To find that it doesn't even come with both end caps is a real turnoff at that price point.

Disappointed to hear about Mike's less than stellar CS experience. Especially since Mike Pappas (Dead Air) is the guy who had a lot to do with SiCo's great CS.

Mike, what color are the Alum baffles? Seen some Blue and some Red.

mikeyd501
06-25-16, 12:09
Chuck,
I will have to get back to you on that one. I am traveling until next week.

Mike

SonOfAGunn
06-25-16, 14:50
The aluminum baffles on mine are dark blue. I'll post pictures when I can take it home which should be soon.

EDIT: It won't be soon. If the stamp takes as long as my other ones it should get here in about a month.

Chuck TX
06-26-16, 22:46
Chuck,
I will have to get back to you on that one. I am traveling until next week.

Mike

Cool. Seems they all have Blue front baffles now. Swear I saw one with Red, must have been a demo version or possibly some other can. I went ahead and bought a Dead Air Ghost. I was torn between it and the Rugged Obsidian, but the Obsidian ain't in stock so that settled that. Always wanted a can with a wipe anyway. Plus the K setup is very kurz.

Can't wait to hear how it is once you get to shoot it.

NWS
06-27-16, 14:05
Cool. Seems they all have Blue front baffles now. Swear I saw one with Red, must have been a demo version or possibly some other can. I went ahead and bought a Dead Air Ghost. I was torn between it and the Rugged Obsidian, but the Obsidian ain't in stock so that settled that. Always wanted a can with a wipe anyway. Plus the K setup is very kurz.

Can't wait to hear how it is once you get to shoot it.

The one they had at Shot Show was red. Was in a lot of media pictures and videos. Looks like all production ones are blue. I have a feeling I won't be using the extended module much at all. I really like the size of the compact config with a wipe.

Fireman1291
06-28-16, 12:53
I haven't read the entire thread so It may have been answered. But SiCo, Rugged and Dead Air all do this now. When you buy a can it does technically come with a piston at the MSRP price, but they don't ship with one. Your dealer is supposed to order one piston for you in your desired thread pitch and include it at MSRP. The fault is on the dealer, not Dead Air.

mikeyd501
06-28-16, 13:17
I haven't read the entire thread so It may have been answered. But SiCo, Rugged and Dead Air all do this now. When you buy a can it does technically come with a piston at the MSRP price, but they don't ship with one. Your dealer is supposed to order one piston for you in your desired thread pitch and include it at MSRP. The fault is on the dealer, not Dead Air.

If you look at my first post I was under the impression (as were a few people) that it came with 2 end caps (watch the video). I called Dead Air and got in touch with their customer relations manager (Brent Taylor). I was informed that it only came with one end cap. I then inquired about the piston and was told it does not come with one and that I would not be getting one from them for the Ghost. In other words they do not provide them to the dealers and I have to buy it. This was also a contradiction to the video that features the owner of Dead Air, Mike Pappas. Bad customer service (Brent Taylor) & misleading marketing. I hope the can works as advertised but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm guessing SiCo's stellar customer service reputation is due to others, not these guys.

If I had to do it over I would have went a different direction.

Fireman1291
06-28-16, 13:58
If you look at my first post I was under the impression (as were a few people) that it came with 2 end caps (watch the video). I called Dead Air and got in touch with their customer relations manager (Brent Taylor). I was informed that it only came with one end cap. I then inquired about the piston and was told it does not come with one and that I would not be getting one from them for the Ghost. In other words they do not provide them to the dealers and I have to buy it. This was also a contradiction to the video that features the owner of Dead Air, Mike Pappas. Bad customer service (Brent Taylor) & misleading marketing. I hope the can works as advertised but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm guessing SiCo's stellar customer service reputation is due to others, not these guys.

If I had to do it over I would have went a different direction.

I don't have to watch the video. It's my video.

If you watch it again you'd hear me state this is a pre-production unit. (look at upload date) Pre-production being the key word; things change. They determined that nobody will run the non-wipe cap and they redesigned the wipe cap so you don't need to use a wipe for it to compress the stack. So you only need one, the wipe version.

It's a great can by a great bunch of people. Your dealer owes you one piston of your thread pitch choice and you need to grow up and stop bashing companies over something so trivial. It's a can....buy it and shoot it. You just bought one of THE best 45 cans on the market. Be happy you didn't buy something outdated.

mikeyd501
06-28-16, 14:37
I don't have to watch the video. It's my video.

Your dealer owes you one piston of your thread pitch choice and you need to grow up and stop bashing companies over something so trivial. It's a can....buy it and shoot it. You just bought one of THE best 45 cans on the market. Be happy you didn't buy something outdated.

First, please no ad hominem attacks. I think we are above that, don't you?

As far as the piston goes, that is NOT what Brent Taylor told me. Do you work or represent Dead Air in any way? Do I have your word that my dealer is owed a piston from Dead Air? Once again, Mr. Taylor told me the complete opposite. Maybe through your contacts you can get this resolved for me?

Do you really think I was bashing them (as you call it)? Isn't it or right that when we buy and pay for a product or service and feel that we did not get what we paid for to voice those concerns? Any company that I do business with who provides, in my opinion, substandard service or products will be told such and have a chance to make it right. As you may have read, (or not) I did not say anything about the performance or the quality of the can, just my experience with Mr. Taylor.

Here is my suggestion for you, please update or attach a disclaimer to your video. This way no one else will be confused.

Thank you for the great reviews that you do.

Mike

Fireman1291
06-28-16, 15:24
First, please no ad hominem attacks. I think we are above that, don't you?

As far as the piston goes, that is NOT what Brent Taylor told me. Do you work or represent Dead Air in any way? Do I have your word that my dealer is owed a piston from Dead Air? Once again, Mr. Taylor told me the complete opposite. Maybe through your contacts you can get this resolved for me?

Do you really think I was bashing them (as you call it)? Isn't it or right that when we buy and pay for a product or service and feel that we did not get what we paid for to voice those concerns? Any company that I do business with who provides, in my opinion, substandard service or products will be told such and have a chance to make it right. As you may have read, (or not) I did not say anything about the performance or the quality of the can, just my experience with Mr. Taylor.

Here is my suggestion for you, please update or attach a disclaimer to your video. This way no one else will be confused.

Thank you for the great reviews that you do.

Mike

I already gave you Mike Pappas personal cell number via PM at his request. And no I don't work for them. Just friends.

You seem to still not understand. Your dealer owes you a piston. If you paid full retail for the can, then your dealer is supposed to order you one piston in your choice thread pitch. HE HAS TO PAY FOR IT. It's not free. You already paid for it when you paid full retail.

I'll lay it out.

1. Customer buys can at full retail and tells dealer he wants a .578x28 piston.
2. Dealer gives customer Form4 all filled out so they can mail it off
3. In the meantime the dealer orders your .578x28 piston
4. Piston shows up
5. Dealer calls you when form4 comes back
6. You take home can and piston that he ordered in for you
7. Order more pistons at your expense for various hosts
8. Enjoy your new can

1slow01Z71
06-28-16, 15:26
People can explain it to you again and again but we cant understand it for you. Fireman is correct, youre citing preproduction models and none of the big can manufactuers ship their cans with pistons so your dealer can provide you with the one you want. Dealer price lists show the price for the can and a separate price for pistons. The dealer then combines the two prices and decides what they want to sell the can for as long as its within the guidelines of their MAP agreement with the manufacturer.

Plain and simple, you dont understand how the "piston thing" works, and the provided end cap will run with or without a wipe so wheres the angst?

Any of yall bitching about the last few baffles being aluminum, have yall ever cleaned a pistol can? Theres practically nothing caught in the end baffles of a full length can. Even when shot wet with wire pulling gel. Nevermind the fact that very few will even use that module once they enjoy the shortness.

mikeyd501
06-28-16, 16:35
Fireman1291,
I understand and I get it. Not my first can, nor my first time dealing with poor customer service either. You and a few others reading and posting on this thread are missing my point, so I will quote myself. "The response and attitude from Mr. Taylor was that of going to the DMV. He could care less about making this right with me and said that I could go to my dealer and ask for a refund. I hope they correct their website soon so that no one else is misled like I was. Maybe they can put a disclaimer on the YouTube video as well."

I will call your friend Mr. Pappas tomorrow. Bottom line, regardless of "how the piston thing works", your video says one thing, their website did not dispute that (it does now!), . It was at the time I purchased it implied, IMO, that you get a piston of your choice.

Mike

Sensei
06-28-16, 18:10
This seems really simple to me. If you paid full retail, then you are owed a piston. The dealer SHOULD be the one to provide this to you. You SHOULD have made a good faith attempt to contact your dealer to correct what is likely a simple mistake. If your dealer does not respond AND you paid MSRP, then you SHOULD let us and Dead Air know who this dear is that is ripping off customers. You are letting us know so that we can avoid this asshole in the future. You are letting Dead Air know so that they can contact this business partner and set them strait.

IDEALLY, this should have never made it to the Internet if you paid the MSRP. Mr. Taylor SHOULD have asked you to send him the receipt so that he could do the leg work on your behalf even if you had not yet contacted the dealer (because this is how good customer service is done). If his dealer (i.e. business partner) refused to send a piston after you paid full MSRP, then Mr. Taylor SHOULD have sent you one by priority 2nd-day mail from Dead Air. He should have then dropped this dealer or notified his distributor so that more customers are not cheated by an unethical business partner. Again, this is how customer service is done at most successful small business enterprises, and it's why I avoid start-ups in the gun industry like the plague.

On the other hand, you have nothing to complain about IF you purchased the can at a discount from the MSRP. In fact, you SHOULD tell us now if this is the case and you made a mistake (no biggie - it happens). Having said that, I would have eaten the cost of the piston in this case even if you paid less than MSRP just to keep you as a loyal customer - but that is just me.

Sound about right?

Fireman1291
06-28-16, 18:37
I recently purchased a Ghost M (6/20/16) based on reviews like this one from NFA Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7hWbTQdyJE. When I inspected the box I noticed that it only had one end cap. Later I called Dead Air and spoke with someone who had to check with someone else about the end cap and I was told they changed the design and that the new end cap would take the wipe. Great news! I then inquired about getting the piston that I needed and was told that he did not believe it came with one unless I paid full retail but he would check and call me back. What the? I was at a business lunch when he called me back so I did not want to go further into it with him but he said they do not offer pistons.

I called them this morning as I had some time and I spoke with Brent Taylor who is the Director of Customer Relationships. I explained to him I made my decision to purchase this based on several factors, one of them being that it came with a piston. I explained that the video which features the owner, Mike Pappas, says you get a piston (1:12 mark on the video). Nothing on their website, which I went through, contradicts this statement.

The response and attitude from Mr. Taylor was that of going to the DMV. He could care less about making this right with me and said that I could go to my dealer and ask for a refund. I hope they correct their website soon so that no one else is misled like I was. Maybe they can put a disclaimer on the YouTube video as well.

Of all the other suppressors that I own, this was by far the worst experience (customer service) that I have had. I own Gemtec, SEI, Innovative Arms, Silencerco and AWC. I would put SEI customer service head and shoulders above what I got from Brent Taylor.

You don't get a piston when you buy a Dead Air Ghost. That is my public service announcement. I will let you know my thoughts on the can when I shoot it (fingers crossed).

MD

Oh I read your post. I can only imagine the self righteous attitude you had when you called LMAO.

Your post explains things very clearly. You didn't and still don't understand that your dealer owes you a piston. The cans are NOT shipped with pistons.... how would they know which you needed at the distributer level? Your dealer should have asked you which ONE piston you wanted with your purchase. In fact... what did your dealer say when you asked about a piston? Did you even call your dealer or just pick up the phone and start yelling at a DA customer service rep about piston that YOUR DEALER owes you?

This thread is fail.

mikeyd501
06-28-16, 18:55
Oh I read your post. I can only imagine the self righteous attitude you had when you called LMAO.

Did you talk to Mr. Taylor and hear this from him directly? He is entitled to his opinion on our conversation. You were not on the call nor do you personally know me. Once again, why the personal attacks? I get that you are coming to the defense of your friend and that you have skin in the game with them. I am just a consumer who was not happy with their customer service.

I will talk to Mr. Pappas tomorrow. If it is resolved I will report it here. If it is not, same.

Mike

Fireman1291
06-28-16, 19:01
Did you talk to Mr. Taylor and hear this from him directly? He is entitled to his opinion on our conversation. You were not on the call nor do you personally know me. Once again, why the personal attacks? I get that you are coming to the defense of your friend and that you have skin in the game with them. I am just a consumer who was not happy with their customer service.

I will talk to Mr. Pappas tomorrow. If it is resolved I will report it here. If it is not, same.

Mike

Nope I haven't talked with Brent. But knowing Pappas.... you're about to be hooked up for your troubles. Even though this issue should have never come up because your dealer should have asked you which piston you want when you bought it. The endcap change was made public; and it comes with two wipes to start you off and the takedown tool, manual and a sock.

Im not coming on the defense of anyone I just hate it when people jump to conclusions and bash without getting their facts straight. Pet peeve. I tried to not get involved in this thread but I had to.

Let us know what Mike does to fix what your dealer screwed up. Thx.

1slow01Z71
06-28-16, 19:43
What did you dealer say when you complained about not getting a piston? Why did you walk out the door without a piston?

dbain99
06-28-16, 20:51
Will it be confirmed MSRP was or was not paid ?
Will the dealer be held accountable ?
Will the squeaky wheel get oil ?

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

Chuck TX
06-28-16, 22:49
Theres practically nothing caught in the end baffles of a full length can. Even when shot wet with wire pulling gel. Nevermind the fact that very few will even use that module once they enjoy the shortness.

Those of us who roll their own cast lead may still to be concerned with ease of cleaning. Most may not shoot enough for it to matter. Some do.

Did find this from Magee from TOS:

I wouldn't characterize the Ghost 45 as an aluminum can. There are four alu baffles (plus a steel one) in the module. If you make it to the 10K or 20K round count and there's actually enough buildup in there to affect things, send it in and DA will take care of it for you. They pop apart easily for cleaning when the time comes.

That'd make for some interesting CS. :p

Nope I haven't talked with Brent. But knowing Pappas.... you're about to be hooked up for your troubles. Even though this issue should have never come up because your dealer should have asked you which piston you want when you bought it. The endcap change was made public; and it comes with two wipes to start you off and the takedown tool, manual and a sock.

Im not coming on the defense of anyone I just hate it when people jump to conclusions and bash without getting their facts straight. Pet peeve. I tried to not get involved in this thread but I had to.

Let us know what Mike does to fix what your dealer screwed up. Thx.

Good to hear.

How much length difference is there between the wipe and flat end cap?

mikeyd501
06-29-16, 11:00
I just got off the phone with Mr. Pappas. We spoke about many things including what great customer service is. Bottom line, they are moving their customer service back to their corp office so that he can keep an eye on it. He would have not known about this issue if I had not posted it here after I got nowhere with Mr. Taylor.

Piston is being shipped to me and I will report back on how it shoots when I get the chance to do so.

Mike

Fireman1291
06-29-16, 13:23
I just got off the phone with Mr. Pappas. We spoke about many things including what great customer service is. Bottom line, they are moving their customer service back to their corp office so that he can keep an eye on it. He would have not known about this issue if I had not posted it here after I got nowhere with Mr. Taylor.

Piston is being shipped to me and I will report back on how it shoots when I get the chance to do so.

Mike

So now you have two pistons! That worked out! What thread pitch is your dealer giving you and what thread pitch is DAS giving you? I assume you finally called your dealer like you should have in the first place. You're welcome BTW.

vereceleritas
06-29-16, 13:36
Good to hear that Dead Air is shipping you a piston.

Did you ever contact your dealer about the piston and what was their response?

I think answering that question will clear up some confusion for the rest of us.

1slow01Z71
06-29-16, 13:40
So youre a thief now. Pappas gave you a piston so you shut up yet you cant be bothered to take it up with your dealer who should have supplied the piston. You've been asked multiple times if you've contacted the dealer yet you dodge the question every time.

I like how you talk shit about this Brent guy, yet you dont even understand how pistol cans are sold.

Fireman1291
06-29-16, 16:38
So youre a thief now. Pappas gave you a piston so you shut up yet you cant be bothered to take it up with your dealer who should have supplied the piston. You've been asked multiple times if you've contacted the dealer yet you dodge the question every time.

I like how you talk shit about this Brent guy, yet you dont even understand how pistol cans are sold.

THIS pretty much sums it up.

Dave_M
06-29-16, 17:04
Did you ever contact your dealer?

Straight from the Dead Air webpage:

MSRP of the Ghost-M includes a Piston of your choice and will need to be specified with your dealer. The Ghost-M silencer does not ship to your dealer with a piston. This allows for you to choose the piston most useful to your application, and your dealer can order your piston at the time of your purchase if they do not have one in stock. If you’re paying less than MSRP, please verify with your dealer that the Piston is included in the price you pay.
http://deadairsilencers.com/product/ghost-m/

mikeyd501
06-29-16, 19:50
Did you ever contact your dealer?

Straight from the Dead Air webpage:

http://deadairsilencers.com/product/ghost-m/

Dave,
Yes I contacted my dealer. You may PM me for the results. Dead Air is making some changes due to the misinformation that was on Fireman1291 video. The link you posted is one of them. I deal with people as if they were sitting in front of me. That is how I expect to be treated. I don't do well with internet tough guys, so guys like Fireman1291 and 1slow01Z71 will have to keep themselves entertained by talking shit about me. I will post how the can does when I shoot it.

Mike

Dave_M
06-29-16, 21:41
Dave,
Yes I contacted my dealer. You may PM me for the results. Dead Air is making some changes due to the misinformation that was on Fireman1291 video. The link you posted is one of them. I deal with people as if they were sitting in front of me. That is how I expect to be treated. I don't do well with internet tough guys, so guys like Fireman1291 and 1slow01Z71 will have to keep themselves entertained by talking shit about me. I will post how the can does when I shoot it.

Mike

I really have no dog in this fight and I don't know any of you from Adam, but I don't know if I'd call the video 'misinformation' so much as 'early' information. Though incorrect both may be, one implies a level of malice that the other one does not. A lot can change when something hits full production. It may well be that those lines of text were added after your experience, in which case this kind of issue may be curtailed in the future.

FWIW I imagine you'll be pleased with the suppressor. The examples I've shot were all very good. Well, for pistol silencers that is.

GrahamKAC
06-29-16, 22:37
Fellow Ghost owner here checking in....

So what I've gathered here so far is that my suppressor should be including a piston, but only if I paid MSRP?

Didn't see one in the box, so this is something the dealer should be giving me for free?

My dealer didn't ask what sized piston I needed when I purchased my can, nor did he have any Dead Air pistons on the shelf.

Frankly I didn't think to ask considering I've got 4 handgun cans from 3 different dealers, and I've always had too buy my piston separate.

Which leads me to ask what the breaking point is for including a free piston at the dealers expense?

If I paid $20 less than MSRP, should I get the piston? $40 less than MSRP? If I paid MAP?

Just trying to bolster the logic for my argument should the dealer not see things my way.

vereceleritas
06-30-16, 00:28
Dave,
Yes I contacted my dealer. You may PM me for the results.

Any particular reason you can't post that information to this thread? I think that information is an important part of this situation and it would be helpful to future buyers.

Sensei
06-30-16, 04:11
So now you have two pistons! That worked out! What thread pitch is your dealer giving you and what thread pitch is DAS giving you? I assume you finally called your dealer like you should have in the first place. You're welcome BTW.

Where did he say that he got an extra piston? My understanding is that his can shipped without a piston. Thus, Pappas was making things right by sending him one. The way I see it, this is a win-win for everyone.

Is that really necessary? Relax Hommie, everyone got what they needed. Nobody stole anything.

Fireman1291
06-30-16, 08:25
Dave,

Mike

Just calling a spade a spade. Why won't you let others know the whole story? If you are going to publicly bash a company, don't you think it's right to lay all the facts out on the table?

SonOfAGunn
06-30-16, 12:09
Fellow Ghost owner here checking in....

So what I've gathered here so far is that my suppressor should be including a piston, but only if I paid MSRP?

Didn't see one in the box, so this is something the dealer should be giving me for free?

My dealer didn't ask what sized piston I needed when I purchased my can, nor did he have any Dead Air pistons on the shelf.

Frankly I didn't think to ask considering I've got 4 handgun cans from 3 different dealers, and I've always had too buy my piston separate.

Which leads me to ask what the breaking point is for including a free piston at the dealers expense?

If I paid $20 less than MSRP, should I get the piston? $40 less than MSRP? If I paid MAP?

Just trying to bolster the logic for my argument should the dealer not see things my way.

I bought mine from Quiet Riot Firearms and didn't pay full pop. When I picked up my DA Mask they had my Ghost on hand and showed it to me. They told me that I could pick a piston to include with the can when my stamp came in. I'll call today to see exactly how that works. I would like to be able to walk away from the store with a complete can and not have to come back to pick up a piston at a later date.

SonOfAGunn
06-30-16, 12:13
Just got off the phone. It comes default with a .45 piston, and any other ones that I need will be paid out of pocket.

Sensei
07-01-16, 08:38
Just got off the phone. It comes default with a .45 piston, and any other ones that I need will be paid out of pocket.

Then, this is sounding like Dead Air needs to get on the horn with their distributors and retailers and remind them to get the customer's piston preference when submitting the Form 4. Basically, this is just a communication issue that is very easy to fix.

GrahamKAC
07-01-16, 08:49
I bought mine from Quiet Riot Firearms and didn't pay full pop. When I picked up my DA Mask they had my Ghost on hand and showed it to me. They told me that I could pick a piston to include with the can when my stamp came in. I'll call today to see exactly how that works. I would like to be able to walk away from the store with a complete can and not have to come back to pick up a piston at a later date.

Just to clarify, was your piston in the box or did Quiet Riot give you one?

NWS
07-01-16, 09:47

My Ghost from Quiet Riot did not have a piston in the box. It was shipped from them a few weeks later. I did order a Ghost in early February and I don't think they even had the pistons manufactured yet.

SonOfAGunn
07-01-16, 12:41

The piston wasn't in the box.

ChrisG19
07-02-16, 18:08
Hold up, the Ghost does not ship to dealers with a piston. It's up to the dealer to include one or not just like SilencerCo. Rugged does ship with a .578x28 piston so if your dealer says they don't come with one, you're getting ripped off.

MegademiC
07-03-16, 09:01
Fwiw, my ga rev9 came with a piston. When I purchased it, online, there was an option I chose for which piston I wanted.

This whole thing seems odd that:
1, op still has not stated if msrp was price.
2, has not stated what came of conversation with dealer (where the question should have been stated instead of here, imo.)
3, did the dealer Recieve a piston? Did dealer pay for piston?

I don't see what DA directly has to do with it, but good on them for giving away a free piston.
As someone who has worked with cs issues for 9 years, I can't blame them for losing patience when some one refuses to hear what you say, when examining how the purchasing works. Not saying it's right, but there comes a point where you just give up and the person either makes the purchase or goes elsewhere... which brings us back to the point that the purchase was made with the dealer, so that's who you go to first.

When making a purchase, I suggest you explicitly understand what the deal is before pulling the trigger. It avoids situations like this.