PDA

View Full Version : How to balance weight of AR 15?

MrTuna
06-22-16, 16:48
I finished my first build and the rifle is front heavy. I made the mistake of not considered the weight of each component. The biggest culprit is the Wilson Combat 18" 5.56 SPR barrel weighing 41 ounces. I went overboard on the handguard length and installed a 16 inch Mega Arms Wedgelock. I will never use that much real estate up front but it's not much heavier than the next shorter one. It has the Vltor A5 receiver extension and buffer system. I'm thinking of putting on a bipod and just using it for distance precision. The Harris bipod is a tank. Anything lighter that's still strong?

Thanks!

Sent from my bunker in the desert using Tapatalk

Benito
06-22-16, 16:57
Heavy and long barrels are gonna make balance front heavy f'sho. Short of using a carbon fiber wrapped barrel, or a shorter and/or lighter barrel, you could go for one of them fancy Titanium muzzle devices. Perhaps a heavy stock, like a UBR.

SteveL
06-22-16, 17:58
What type of optic are you going to use? I'm guessing with an SPR barrel you'll be using a variable power scope. If so that will add some weight toward the rear and help balance things out some.

MistWolf
06-22-16, 18:24
How much does the rifle weigh and where is it's point of balance?

MrTuna
06-22-16, 19:41
How much does the rifle weigh and where is it's point of balance?

That's something I have to figure out. I swapped the MilSpec buffer for the A5 system and that added some weight to the back. I can't afford a UBR or PRS right now.

MrTuna
06-22-16, 19:43
What type of optic are you going to use? I'm guessing with an SPR barrel you'll be using a variable power scope. If so that will add some weight toward the rear and help balance things out some.

I haven't decided on an optic yet so I am running my ACOG to try and get some decent 100 yard groups.

MistWolf
06-22-16, 20:10
Finding the balance point is easy. Just lay it across your finger and move it back & forth until you feel where it balances

MrTuna
06-22-16, 20:13
Finding the balance point is easy. Just lay it across your finger and move it back & forth until you feel where it balances

Thanks,
It balances right in the middle of the barrel nut which is large on the Mega handguard.

bad aim
06-22-16, 20:28
I have a 16" rifle-length MRP with a M600U at the front and it's front heavy as heck. Placing a magnifier behind the Aimpoint did help balance it out a bit more-- heavier optics do help.

MrTuna
06-22-16, 21:55
I have a 16" rifle-length MRP with a M600U at the front and it's front heavy as heck. Placing a magnifier behind the Aimpoint did help balance it out a bit more-- heavier optics do help.

Sounds like a plan. I'm going to go with something with 8-10x at the top range.

mack7.62
06-23-16, 03:06
Put a stock with some storage on it and add some lead. Competition shooters added a precast lead weight to the butt stock storage compartment of A2 stocks to counteract the heavy match barrels.

masakari
06-23-16, 04:58
Magpul UBR stock or ACS. Use the storage space.

misfit47
06-23-16, 05:10
The other guys posted helpful advice. Now we gotta see some pics!

ColtSeavers
06-23-16, 09:25
I finished my first build and the rifle is front heavy. I made the mistake of not considered the weight of each component. The biggest culprit is the Wilson Combat 18" 5.56 SPR barrel weighing 41 ounces. I went overboard on the handguard length and installed a 16 inch Mega Arms Wedgelock. I will never use that much real estate up front but it's not much heavier than the next shorter one. It has the Vltor A5 receiver extension and buffer system. I'm thinking of putting on a bipod and just using it for distance precision. The Harris bipod is a tank. Anything lighter that's still strong?

Thanks!

Your plan is to use this rifle for long range precision shooting with a bipod and (likely) a variable powered scope? Not humping it around all day on ruck marches, patrols or walkabouts?

If so, then I wouldn't worry about the weight, as more will be better for less movement due to recoil when shooting as well as the weight point of balance being further forward will help keep the muzzle from jumping and the bipod legs planted.

I have an 18" ARP barreled SPR-isb build with a 15" YHM Diamond competition (non quad) rail, Harris bipod, Burris Veracity 2-10x scope pushed as far forward as it can go (for as close to NTCH cheeckweld as possible) in an Aero SPR scope mount and ACE Skeleton stock with no butt pad tfor the same purpose that balances just forward of the barrel nut. As the point of balance is so far forward, it swings heavily when shot transitionally in hand, but it's an anvil when resting on the bipod that allows me to see my shots at 10x with no movement to the sight picture.

Long story short, let the mission drive the gear. Do you need lighter weight? Does the point of balance need to be at a certain location?

MrTuna
06-23-16, 09:54
Your plan is to use this rifle for long range precision shooting with a bipod and (likely) a variable powered scope? Not humping it around all day on ruck marches, patrols or walkabouts?

If so, then I wouldn't worry about the weight, as more will be better for less movement due to recoil when shooting as well as the weight point of balance being further forward will help keep the muzzle from jumping and the bipod legs planted.

I have an 18" ARP barreled SPR-isb build with a 15" YHM Diamond competition (non quad) rail, Harris bipod, Burris Veracity 2-10x scope pushed as far forward as it can go (for as close to NTCH cheeckweld as possible) in an Aero SPR scope mount and ACE Skeleton stock with no butt pad tfor the same purpose that balances just forward of the barrel nut. As the point of balance is so far forward, it swings heavily when shot transitionally in hand, but it's an anvil when resting on the bipod that allows me to see my shots at 10x with no movement to the sight picture.

Long story short, let the mission drive the gear. Do you need lighter weight? Does the point of balance need to be at a certain location?

Good point! I built it with the goal of learning to shoot accurately at distance. I have a low back injury and recently had a procedure done so I can't shoot a heavy rifle off hand for long especially one that's front heavy. Maybe my next build should be a lightweight one.
I will take some pics today [emoji3]

misfit47
06-23-16, 10:20
Instead of building a light one, you could wait for a 6720 to come up.

nova3930
06-23-16, 12:04
It's not just the weight of each component, it's the center of mass. Your rail for instance may only be an ounce or two heavier than the next size down, but you take a double hit because it's center of mass is further out from your pivot point ie the pistol grip.

Skyyr
06-23-16, 12:28
The handling of the gun has less to do with actual weight and more to do with the center of balance/gravity, as noted previously in this thread.

The best way to balance a front-heavy, already-built rifle is to get a heavier stock. Look at the Magpul UBR or the PRS. This will make the rifle heavier, obviously, but it will balance better. If you're running a precision rig, weight typically isn't a primary concern anyway.

The best way to prevent a rifle from being perceived as front-heavy is a tapered barrel profile. Bushmaster's A3 "heavy" patrolman barrel, Noveske's Recon barrels, Colt's SOCOM barrel - barrels that start off larger and taper down to a smaller diameter will be perceived as balancing better, all other things being equal.

Renegade04
06-23-16, 16:19
I have to say this, choosing an 18" SPR barrel is a good idea if it is going to be a bench gun or shot from a bipod. The extra weight of the barrel is a plus. Now, there are other ways to getting good accuracy with lighter weight barrels. A few months ago, I finished up on a lightweight build using a 18" LaRue Tactical Stealth barrel. I used several lightweight components including a B.A.D. LW receiver set, B.A.D. LW ambi-safety, and a 14" FORTIS SWITCH 556 System handguard. I also used a BCM A2 buffer system with a MFT Battlelink stock and a few other goodies. I made sure I used a nice lightweight trigger (Elftmann 3-gun, curved). It is topped off with a VORTEX Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope in an ADM RECON mount. The build came in at 9lb. 5.3 ozs. with an empty 30-round PMAG. The balance is superb as is the trigger. A lot of thought and planning went into the build based on my desired outcome. Seeing that you already have the 18" SPR barrel, you best and cheapest option is to throw a bipod (I prefer Harris) on there and call it a day. Other wise, I would recommend looking into getting a replacement barrel. Something like the LaRue Tactical Stealth or PredatAR barrels. The PredatAR is the lightest of the two and both are very accurate barrels.

http://www.larue.com/556-stealth-barrel

http://www.larue.com/556-predatar-barrel

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202015/ARs/BAD%20build/022_zpsfwvbesty.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202015/ARs/BAD%20build/022_zpsfwvbesty.jpg.html)

wahoo95
06-23-16, 18:14
Balance out a front heavy rifle with a heavy stock. Moving the point of balance rearward will make the rifle feel and handle like it a lighter.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MrTuna
06-23-16, 19:05
I will eventually put a heavier stock on it to balance it out. I'm going to get my sand bag out and see what kind of groups I can shoot.

misfit47
06-23-16, 19:17
I recently assembled a similar upper. 18" woa spr barrel, midwest 15" handguard. It's getting a bipod for sure. It hangs nicely off hand but gets ridiculous when I screw on my 30 cal suppressor.