PDA

View Full Version : Marines admit they misidentified one man in iconic 1945 Iwo Jima photo

WillBrink
06-23-16, 07:13
Mr. Schultz is the type of person we should all strive to emulate. Today, the book would have been written before he hit chow, every friend he had and everyone within ear shot would know, the Twitter sent with selfie out with the flag in the background making some idiotic hand gesture. Admittedly much easier to insta-communicate to the world around you today, but it matters not really. Why didn't he tell anyone?

Maybe getting that flag up was its own reward, or he felt it would be bragging by coming forward to "claim" his spot in history, maybe he just wanted to put it all behind him, or maybe felt it would detract from the others, several of whom died later. We will never know. What we do know is, Mr. Schultz survived the most terrible of all human experiences to do what had to be done, and apparently asked no credit for it beyond what ever medals and such he received. Today, people would be lined up for the talk shows with useless and web site built before he even got home from the event.

Be more like Mr. Schultz and realize no matter what you have done, some SOB did it before you, and did it with far less, and probably did it better, and asked nothing in return. The generals take the credit, the Pvt. 1st Class Harold Schultz's do the actual work and often, the dying.

Mr. Schultz humbles me to my core and reminds me, as it should you, that you just aint shit and a dose perspective is in order.

Marines admit they misidentified one man in iconic 1945 Iwo Jima photo

The Marine Corps investigation identified a man who has never been officially linked to the famous photo: Pvt. 1st Class Harold Schultz, who died in 1995 and went through life without publicly talking about his role.

“Why doesn’t he say anything to anyone,” asked Charles Neimeyer, a Marine Corps historian who was on the panel that investigated the identities of the flag raisers. “That’s the mystery.”

“I think he took his secret to the grave,” Neimeyer said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/06/23/flag-raiser-marine-iwo-jima-photo/86254440/

WillBrink
06-24-16, 08:26
No one? Seems a damn interesting story and modern lesson to me. Hmmm.

brushy bill
06-24-16, 08:50
I thought it was interesting as well. Appreciate the fact that service was willing to admit potential for error and not succumb to organizational momentum/concerns about image. Not always the case in bureaucracies.

26 Inf
06-24-16, 11:19
No one? Seems a damn interesting story and modern lesson to me. Hmmm.

I read it and got the same things from it that you mentioned. Just didn't want to be that guy who posts 'yeah, I like the Glock 17, also'

WillBrink
06-24-16, 11:39
I read it and got the same things from it that you mentioned. Just didn't want to be that guy who posts 'yeah, I like the Glock 17, also'

There's times when being "that guy" is not always a negative.

dwhitehorne
06-24-16, 12:39
“Why doesn’t he say anything to anyone,” asked Charles Neimeyer, a Marine Corps historian who was on the panel that investigated the identities of the flag raisers. “That’s the mystery.”

“I think he took his secret to the grave,” Neimeyer said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/06/23/flag-raiser-marine-iwo-jima-photo/86254440/

Everyone I have met who has actually been there and done that doesn't feel the need to tell everybody. The current "look at me" culture will never understand that. David

SteyrAUG
06-24-16, 14:01
Kinda sad. I mean wasn't that the entire point of 2006's "Flags of our Fathers"? Wasn't that supposed to be the definitive "set the record straight" on the matter?

And now we learn another guy never got credit.