PDA

View Full Version : POF Renegade Plus vs LWRC DI vs new DDm4v7....opinions please!

BlazinCajun
06-23-16, 09:30
I'm in the market for another AR, my first one was an Colt 6920. Based on availability in the area, I have narrowed my choices down to these three. Trying to stay in the $1500-1700 price range. I wouldn't be opposed to other recommendations, but I'm the type of person that wants to see the rifle in person before I buy it and these are what's available in my area. I want to stick with a midlength gas system, 14-16" barrel, and rail covering at least to front low profile gas block. Price is negligible for me, but I will list the price anyways for them.

POF Renegade Plus $1669
This rifle is a thing of beauty....seriously! For being straight out the box, the fit and finish is perfect. The action is smooth, fully ambi lower controls, 3.5 flat single stage trigger (one of the best triggers I ever felt out of the box). Everything on it feels great to me, it has a lot of upgraded features and you can tell POF put some serious thought into this rifle. My only concern is there isn't many reviews out on it and POF has been a piston company since they've opened their doors and this is one of their first direct impingement rifles. I've also read mixed reviews about some of their guns (50/50 chance of getting a lemon) and barrels (lots of accuracy problems with their puritan barrels), but these were all issues from years ago. This is the one that overall felt the best in my hands. Specs here ---> http://pof-usa.com/the-renegade-plus/

DDm4v7 (Mlok rail model) $1500
This was my second favorite out of the three. The rail system is what really stands out on the rifle. We all know DD is second to none in terms of customer service and quality. Overall and great rifle that will be backed by one of the best companies in the business. The only thing holding me back from getting this one is that the POF felt so good in my hands, but I'm seriously contemplating just getting this one since I will have a peace of mind knowing that it is a DD and has been PROVEN of the years. Specs here ---> https://danieldefense.com/firearms/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7tm.html

LWRC DI $1600
Another beautiful rifle that comes with a lot of nice upgrades straight from the factory. I felt like this gun wasn't as "tight and smooth" as the POF though. Little more wobble/play in the collapsible stock, and the charging handle just felt like not as high quality as the POF charging handle. Specs here ---> https://www.lwrci.com/p-839-lwrci-di.aspx

Just trying to get some more feedback from you guys. Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed! Hopefully some of you may have shot these three and can give me some real world feedback...thanks!

WickedWillis
06-23-16, 10:17
I own an older DDM4V7, the pre-M-lok model, and it is a wonderful rifle. At $1500 with the M-lok rail seems damn hard to beat imo. My second choice would be the LWRC, even though I have zero experience with their DI guns. The DD is going to be awesome and last you a lifetime right out of the box.

JC5188
06-23-16, 10:58
DD, LWRC (I have their piston ar), would pass on POF.

So the DD because we know it's proven. The LWRC because if the di is the same quality as my M6A2 (I have no way to know, just assume) then it's a fine rifle, and no on the POF because of just what you stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeyjoe
06-23-16, 11:02
If I had to choose between those three, id choose the DDm4v7, without question.

BlazinCajun
06-23-16, 11:15
Anybody have any experience shooting the POF Renegade Plus or any other POF rifles in general? I think I've just about talked myself into the DD based on FULLY knowing what kind of rifle I will be getting! But dangggg...that POF sure felt nice!

dangrullon87
06-23-16, 11:36
DD, LWRC (I have their piston ar), would pass on POF.

So the DD because we know it's proven. The LWRC because if the di is the same quality as my M6A2 (I have no way to know, just assume) then it's a fine rifle, and no on the POF because of just what you stated.

Nothing but love for LWRC, I have the M6IC (piston) best rifle I've owned. Never had a malfunction and chews up anything I shoot through it and this is at about 7000 rounds down pipe (2000+ suppressed).

Skyyr
06-23-16, 12:37
I'd pass on the POF. DD and LWRC are likely going to be similar, with the nod going to Daniel Defense for customer service and known quality in DI AR's.

I personally like the aesthetics and ergos of the LWRC better, but little details like the goofy spiral fluting, proprietary rail attachments, etc. make the DD a more solid long-term setup, in my opinion.

JC5188
06-23-16, 13:27
Nothing but love for LWRC, I have the M6IC (piston) best rifle I've owned. Never had a malfunction and chews up anything I shoot through it and this is at about 7000 rounds down pipe (2000+ suppressed).

Yeah mine has been solid.

TexasAggies
06-23-16, 16:10
Can you spring a little more for a KAC sr15?

BlazinCajun
06-23-16, 16:31
Can you spring a little more for a KAC sr15?
Possibly....depends on how much more we are talking, condition of rifle, etc. Are you selling one?

Benito
06-23-16, 18:22
BCM. Take your pick of configuration. Lots of amazing rifles. KMR-Alpha rails or otherwise, etc. that'd be my recommendation.

scooter22
06-23-16, 18:30
BCM. Take your pick of configuration. Lots of amazing rifles. KMR-Alpha rails or otherwise, etc. that'd be my recommendation.

This. Or a KAC if you really want to spend all of your cash on a gun.

civiliansheepdog
06-23-16, 18:40
I would also go BCM. History of consistent, boring reliability with excellent customer service is the order of the day for AR15 purchases.

Benito
06-23-16, 22:00
Nothing wrong with DD either. Solid manufacturer that has really expanded their offerings. MLOK, KeyMod different lengths etc.

Colt is obviously good but only if you like the carbine length gas and FSP configuration.

700M1
06-23-16, 22:23
I purchased the lwrc di and am very happy with it. It's light weight and fully ambi controls, a long with the nickel bolt helped sell it (as well as the immediate availability). All sound like solid choices, though!

masenomics
06-23-16, 22:36
Vote for Daniel Defense.

WS6
06-23-16, 23:09
Of the choices offered, DDM4.

Steve-0-
06-24-16, 00:45
My affliation aside. Why go with any brand that has based their entire business on the theory that piston is superior to DI and suddenly decided to make a DI gun. Obviously one choice is not the case. Do your research and im sure youll find the answer. Since your not in the piston market, there are plenty of options of solid built carbines out there.

C-grunt
06-24-16, 04:36
My department's SWAT team went to POF guns a few years ago. Although they were piston guns so its not an apples to apples comparison with what you are looking at.

That being said they started to have serious malfunction issues with the guns. Since they are local the guys with the broken guns would take them straight to POF to get fixed. Several of the guys were told that A. they were using too hot of ammo (American Eagle 55 grn 223 ball ammo mostly) and B. they were shooting the guns too much.

Even if their DI guns are more reliable those excuses given to our guys were ridiculous and pretty much concreted the fact that I wont buy from them.

C-grunt
06-24-16, 05:07
Steve-0- makes a good point. He also make a good rifle.

Somnus
06-24-16, 05:54
I have had no problems with my DD V2, old V7 or MK18 pistol. I have been running the V2 for several years I n 3 gun with perfect function. I'm looking for a new V7 now!

Eurodriver
06-24-16, 06:22
My department's SWAT team went to POF guns a few years ago. Although they were piston guns so its not an apples to apples comparison with what you are looking at.

That being said they started to have serious malfunction issues with the guns. Since they are local the guys with the broken guns would take them straight to POF to get fixed. Several of the guys were told that A. they were using too hot of ammo (American Eagle 55 grn 223 ball ammo mostly) and B. they were shooting the guns too much.

Even if their DI guns are more reliable those excuses given to our guys were ridiculous and pretty much concreted the fact that I wont buy from them.

Impossible. DI guns shit where they eat and are notoriously less reliable than piston guns like AK! the POF and other piston guns are in fact just as good as Colt or even better for this reason.

I've got 85 rounds through my piston AR with no issues that weren't magazine related!

Tigereye
06-24-16, 06:41
I have the older DD V7 and a couple of other DD rifles. Get the DD and drive on. Or get a BCM or Sionics. I have no experience with POF or LWRC.

methical20
06-24-16, 09:44
There are plenty of great choices out there other than the three that you selected, but of those three, it is a NO BRAINER. Get the DD. The LGS here has the new V7 for 1325. Can't beat that.

TMS951
06-24-16, 14:41
I love the look of that rail on the new V7, seems much better than the previous slim rails.

I'd go with the Daniel Degense no question. Looks like a sweet blaster.

I'd also have trouble buying a DI gun from two companies who spend years preaching the short coming of the DI system and pushing piston guns. Now they are making DI guns? Wait I though DI was crap and piston was the only way...

Jsp10477
06-24-16, 15:13
Of your choices listed, Daniel Defense. Honestly, if I were you, I'd get a 6920 oem and put whatever rail I wanted on it. You'll have about $1k in it and have enough left for an aimpoint. I own both mid and carbine length gassed carbines and I really don't see much difference. ymmv

MajorLonghorn
06-26-16, 00:26
I have a POF P415 and a couple of LWRC Six8 rifles, but no DD. The POF is remarkably accurate and my LWRCs are not far behind. I had a gas issue with one of the Six8s but LWRC fixed it. The only issue with these is that they are piston guns, and thus relatively heavy. You are comparing their DI guns, which are new and lighter. DD's reputation speaks for itself, but you are essentially getting a mil-spec rifle with little in the way of upgrades. You can get a comparable BCM for a little less money.

JG007
06-28-16, 23:58

using DD now?

JG007
06-29-16, 00:03
Of course you cant argue with colt/BCM/DD and they are the sure thing......but, I know some good guys that like their POF and im actually going to shoot a buddy's renegade+ tomorrow at the range, those specs do look impressive

will be interesting if pof, and pws, start selling more DI guns than piston

BlazinCajun
06-29-16, 09:35
Well guys, I went ahead and bought the new Daniel Defense ddm4v7 with the 15" mlok rail https://danieldefense.com/firearms/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7tm.html. Found it in stock and at a great price, so I jumped on it! Just too many doubts with POF, although I'm sure the Renegade Plus is a great rifle. ALMOST got the BCM Reece, but it came down to price and I was able to get the V7 for over $200 less. The LWRC DI, I just didn't care for the overall feel of it, seemed like a really well built rifle though!

civiliansheepdog
06-29-16, 15:25
I do not think you will be disappointed.

Torquetard
06-29-16, 17:34
1) tear up a piece of paper into 3 pieces
2) write their rifles down on each one separately
3) put them in a (preferably coyote or kryptek typhoon color) hat and draw