PDA

View Full Version : Weaponology had Larry Vickers on and...

Seth Harness
08-29-08, 19:36
Hes a much different kind of person than I guess I had anticipated. I learned he was a Green Beret, which I didnt know until watching this show. He seems confident yet humble and not boisterous or arrogant, which he could be and justifiably so given his credentials and knowledge. His nature almost demands your respect. Very cool guy!

I guess my question is, can anyone point me in the direction to learn more from him? ie. book or books, website etc...

Thanks.

SeriousStudent
08-29-08, 19:41
http://www.vickerstactical.com/

Mr. Vickers is a member here.

Seth Harness
08-29-08, 20:01
did I have it wrong when I learned he was a green beret??
If I did, my mistake. Sorry about my misunderstanding. Story of my life :D

Jay Cunningham
08-29-08, 20:17
I have never seen Larry wear a beret.

;)

Robb Jensen
08-29-08, 20:22
I have never seen Larry wear a beret.

;)

I've seen Buck wear a 'weed' hat ! ;)

John_Wayne777
08-29-08, 20:27
He seems confident yet humble and not boisterous or arrogant, which he could be and justifiably so given his credentials and knowledge. His nature almost demands your respect. Very cool guy!

I guess my question is, can anyone point me in the direction to learn more from him? ie. book or books, website etc...

Thanks.

M4C is privileged to have Mr. Vickers as a member here. If you'll look around you'll find him giving input on a number of issues, especially when it comes to training.

Mr. Vickers also advertises a number of his training courses here on M4C. I've attended five courses with Mr. Vickers including 3 this summer and I have a fifth coming up next weekend, as well as the Vickers/Hackathorn Low Light II course in November. They've all been a valuable learning experience.

You should really try to get into some of his courses. In real life he is a pretty nice guy....nice enough to let a dude like me play with his STMG and his brand new PKM.

ThirdWatcher
08-29-08, 20:40
I was assigned to Ft Bragg, NC in 1975 and served as a Military Policeman. I don't remember ever coming into an Special Forces warrior (except maybe at the PX). SF pretty much kept to themselves on Smoke Bomb Hill. I assume they policed themselves (as most are NCOs and officers).

I have NEVER seen a blowhard "the older I get, the better I was" kinda jerk that was actually WAS in SF. IMHO, SF are THE professional soldiers in my beloved Army.

Like any other professional (attorney, physician, or soldier) I listen when they have something to say.

Iraqgunz
08-29-08, 20:45
A "Green Beret" is headgear. If you meant that he was Army Special Forces, that is probably correct. All that I know about him is that he was a Delta Operator aka CAG. My boss and a few others know him from back in the day.

did I have it wrong when I learned he was a green beret??
If I did, my mistake. Sorry about my misunderstanding. Story of my life :D

ThirdWatcher
08-29-08, 20:59
The only reason I mentioned SF was that Delta didn't (officially?) exist in 1975 and the stockade was still being used for what it was designed for. I have no inside knowledge but I suspect that Delta recruits from SF.

Seth Harness
08-29-08, 21:01
M4C is privileged to have Mr. Vickers as a member here. If you'll look around you'll find him giving input on a number of issues, especially when it comes to training.

Mr. Vickers also advertises a number of his training courses here on M4C. I've attended five courses with Mr. Vickers including 3 this summer and I have a fifth coming up next weekend, as well as the Vickers/Hackathorn Low Light II course in November. They've all been a valuable learning experience.

You should really try to get into some of his courses. In real life he is a pretty nice guy....nice enough to let a dude like me play with his STMG and his brand new PKM.

I would love to take part in a course/courses of his. Taking a Vickers course, would be my first course, would that be recommended?

RogerinTPA
08-29-08, 21:40
If you read his Bio on his website, he was both SF and a Delta Operator. When I was at Bragg back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for guys to have several years in the Regular Army doing other jobs before going to the SOF side. SF and SFOD-D recruit from all MOSs but most are of the SF/Ranger variety.

Alpha Sierra
08-29-08, 21:44
He seems confident yet humble and not boisterous or arrogant, which he could be and justifiably so given his credentials and knowledge.
It seems that people who have seen the elephant have nothing to prove, therefore do not feel the need to boast or self-aggrandize.

Acquaintances of mine (mostly USNA classmates) who have been involved in Naval Special Warfare are the same way.

chadbag
08-29-08, 21:52
I was assigned to Ft Bragg, NC in 1975 and served as a Military Policeman. I don't remember ever coming into an Special Forces warrior (except maybe at the PX). SF pretty much kept to themselves on Smoke Bomb Hill. I assume they policed themselves (as most are NCOs and officers).

I have NEVER seen a blowhard "the older I get, the better I was" kinda jerk that was actually WAS in SF. IMHO, SF are THE professional soldiers in my beloved Army.

Like any other professional (attorney, physician, or soldier) I listen when they have something to say.

unlike Richard Marcinko

John_Wayne777
08-29-08, 22:52
I would love to take part in a course/courses of his. Taking a Vickers course, would be my first course, would that be recommended?

Sure. If you want to learn, learn from the best. Mr. Vickers is one of the best instructors you'll find. There are a number of very good instructors out there (and on this site) but if you listen to people who know what they are talking about you'll often see LAV ranked as one of the better guys in the business.

It's not just that he's a gun geek or that he was a member of an elite group of warriors...the guy actually knows how to teach. Teaching is a skill unto itself, and not one that everyone has.

ThirdWatcher
08-30-08, 00:34
"Teaching is a skill unto itself, and not one that everyone has."... another thing I've always admired about SF... teaching people how to defend themselves and their families from insurgents is pretty noble IMHO.

ToddG
08-30-08, 03:32
There are some instructors who really know how to shoot well.

There are some instructors who really know guns inside and out on a technical, mechanical, gunsmithing level.

There are some instructors who really live and breathe the study of historic and modern small arms.

There are some instructors who really have an impact on the firearms industry as designers and consultants.

There are some instructors who have real significant and relevant small arms experience on a first hand operational level.

There are some instructors who really understand teaching.

LAV, to the best of my knowledge, is the only person who falls into all of those categories.

Sam
08-30-08, 13:25
Everything you want to know about LAV's background is listed on his website. Take one of his classes to get the rest of the good stuff. I've taken 3, and looking forward the the fourth.

Lagadelphia
08-30-08, 13:51
I saw him on an episode about the SAS and he was talking about the MP-5. They had some filler reel introducing him and he was driving a pick up with a lawnmower in the back. I laughed because I remember reading a quote attributed to him going something like "If you are going to treat your gun like a lawn mower, get a Glock."

30 cal slut
08-30-08, 16:25
Everything you want to know about LAV's background is listed on his website. Take one of his classes to get the rest of the good stuff. I've taken 3, and looking forward the the fourth.

#4 for me will be next weekend. can't wait. :D

Seth Harness
08-31-08, 08:42
Sure. If you want to learn, learn from the best. Mr. Vickers is one of the best instructors you'll find. There are a number of very good instructors out there (and on this site) but if you listen to people who know what they are talking about you'll often see LAV ranked as one of the better guys in the business.

It's not just that he's a gun geek or that he was a member of an elite group of warriors...the guy actually knows how to teach. Teaching is a skill unto itself, and not one that everyone has.

In my mind if you have the opportunity to learn from the best, take advantage of it. I figured there would be a series of courses I would need to take before I got to him.
I read alot here and other places but mostly here. It may sound goofy or whatever but when I read about a drill or tactic that sounds usefull or effective, I go to the range and practice that. Some of the stuff cant be done at the range I go to, but pretty much all the fundamentals can. AAAnyways, Im very interested in official training courses. :o

You guys have taken a number of his classes, are they progressive like "such and such class 1,2 and 3" or a different subject matter??
I know your paying good money to learn from him but if he were to break into a story or two from his past, I wouldnt stop him from telling it. :D

Sam
08-31-08, 10:50
You guys have taken a number of his classes, are they progressive like "such and such class 1,2 and 3" or a different subject matter??
I know your paying good money to learn from him but if he were to break into a story or two from his past, I wouldnt stop him from telling it. :D

A story from his past? Some of it is on his website or you can read the book "Six minutes to freedom", the last chapter dealt directly with LAV and 22 or his former coworkers.

The 3 classes under my belt were all different, general tactical pistol, general tactical carbine, and 1911 operator course. The fourth will be 1 day carbine/1 day pistol refresher.

yrac
08-31-08, 11:14
I figured there would be a series of courses I would need to take before I got to him.

Seth - I think you'll find that Larry has a lot to offer to shooters with very little to no formal training. You can refer to the following course annoucement: Vickers Tactical Pistol I (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13083). While this particular class is full, the annoucement provides good information on the level of preparation required of students at a basic Vickers pistol class.

On a general note, with any good trainer, you don't have to be "advanced" to take a basic course. The most important thing is to show up and stay "switched on." Be safe, bring quality weapons/gear, pay close attention and actively incorporate the instructor's constructive guidance into your technique. If you keep this in mind, you will come away from the class a far more effective shooter than when you started.

You'll get a LOT of good information of the "I saw this particular weapon/technique/gear succeed/fail under these conditions" variety. As far as specific questions about specific missions, you probably won't get too far. I think the usual response from Larry to the "what did you do in the military" question is "I was in the Army," with no further elaboration. Maybe some general information about the skill levels and qualifications expected of those in his former unit, but nothing mission-specific.

Jay Cunningham
08-31-08, 15:18
Seth - I think you'll find that Larry has a lot to offer to shooters with very little to no formal training. You can refer to the following course annoucement: Vickers Tactical Pistol I (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13083). While this particular class is full, the annoucement provides good information on the level of preparation required of students at a basic Vickers pistol class.

On a general note, with any good trainer, you don't have to be "advanced" to take a basic course. The most important thing is to show up and stay "switched on." Be safe, bring quality weapons/gear, pay close attention and actively incorporate the instructor's constructive guidance into your technique. If you keep this in mind, you will come away from the class a far more effective shooter than when you started.

We are hoping to organize informal M4C Training Groups where Vickers alumni help prep n00b shooters who have the desire to learn for Larry's classes.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18554

John_Wayne777
08-31-08, 15:33

The higher level classes have more challenging drills in them than the basic classes as a general rule. The exact content of each course I've taken with Mr. Vickers has depended upon the skill level of the class and what Mr. Vickers thought we needed to work on.

Mr. Vickers has plenty of entertaining stories...mostly about past training endeavors. His former job isn't exactly the sort of thing one talks about at parties for a number of reasons.

Nathan_Bell
08-31-08, 16:10
In my mind if you have the opportunity to learn from the best, take advantage of it. I figured there would be a series of courses I would need to take before I got to him.
I read alot here and other places but mostly here. It may sound goofy or whatever but when I read about a drill or tactic that sounds usefull or effective, I go to the range and practice that. Some of the stuff cant be done at the range I go to, but pretty much all the fundamentals can. AAAnyways, Im very interested in official training courses. :o

As others have mentioned LAV really doesn't tell tales out of school, but you will learn a great deal. If you have the proper sense of humor you will be grinning during most of the class as well.

TurretGunner
09-02-08, 11:09
"Teaching is a skill unto itself, and not one that everyone has."... another thing I've always admired about SF... teaching people how to defend themselves and their families from insurgents is pretty noble IMHO.

Most of the time, they are the ones training the insurgents. SF's Primary mission is to train foreign assets for whatever the reason may be. That is why language school is a mandatory part of the training unless you already have profficency in one of their desired languages.

markm
09-02-08, 11:23
I look forward to seeing LAV in a weaponology episode. I get a little chuckle every time they show him.

They should have him talk about prehistoric weapons.... I could see it now....

"Here we have a caveman's club. This particular club is outfitted with a crimson trace laser as you can see." :p

Sidewinder6
09-02-08, 13:02
I had to chuckle when I read the OP here and thought to myself, that was sort of admiting you just discovered Peyton Manning played High School football.

buzz_knox
09-02-08, 13:35
I had to chuckle when I read the OP here and thought to myself, that was sort of admiting you just discovered Peyton Manning played High School football.

Being from Knoxville, it wouldn't surprise me to find people around here who would argue Manning never played HS football. Instead, he was sent directly from Heaven to Neyland Stadium to bring light to the masses.

30 cal slut
09-02-08, 13:46

I don't get the impression that the classes are "progressive."

I like LAV's classes because he's ALWAYS emphasizing the fundamentals.

Proper sight alignment and trigger control. Hit the effin target.

And he's not afraid to tell you if your shooting sucks. :D

I've attended Carbine/Pistol I, Low Light I, and Carbine/Pistol II. In each class, I've learned something new, and in each subsequent class I have picked up on things that I may have missed in prior classes. For myself, repetition is GOOD.

Cold Zero
09-02-08, 19:16
They should have him talk about prehistoric weapons.... I could see it now....

"Here we have a caveman's club. This particular club is outfitted with a crimson trace laser as you can see." :p

hahahaha. L.O.L.:D