PDA

View Full Version : HAWAII SUBMITS ITS GUN OWNERS TO FBI DATA BASE

williejc
06-25-16, 04:02
I saw that Hawaii's governor signed legislation to turn over to the FBI its gun owner files. One purpose is to allow nation wide monitoring of the gun owners in case of wrong doing--whatever that is. In a related but different matter, I have been told that the FBI maintains a list of CHL holders. In Texas one gives up all rights to privacy upon applying for a CHL so I suspect that my name is on every list between Waco and DC. Eventually, I fear that these lists will become shit lists.

Eurodriver
06-25-16, 04:20
I am curious about this and have found no answer online.

I have bought a rifle and a pistol while stationed in Hawaii. This was more than 6 years ago.

Did they submit all firearm registrations or is this only going forward? Because that sucks I'm on "the list" now.

I also don't see how this will pass a challenge in court due to FOPA. the law specifically forbids keeping a list of gun owners by the federal or any state government.

newyork
06-25-16, 04:55
http://www.staradvertiser.com/breaking-news/hawaii-becomes-first-state-to-put-gun-owners-in-database/

Moose-Knuckle
06-25-16, 05:11
What's next, RFID chip implants?

JC5188
06-25-16, 05:59
How exactly do they know someone is a "gun owner"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
06-25-16, 06:58
How exactly do they know someone is a "gun owner"?

You have no idea. Coming from a free state, I didn't either. But they know alllll about you.

All weapons in Hawaii are registered. Its a process that involves 3 trips to the police station along with fingerprints and a fee and 2 week waiting period for *each* handgun you want to buy, and being ridiculed by the "I hate white people but they pay me to be here and tread on the rights of my island brothers" sell outs at HPD while you do it.

Also noteworthy to mention is that if you miss the timeline your permit is available (it's like 5 days) you forfeit your registration fee and have to start all over again. Also there is only one station on Oahu that allows you to register firearms and it's M-F business hours only so if you work and live on the north shore buying a handgun requires at minimum 8 hours of missed work in order to make the drive and wait in line three separate days. You also must provide proof of handgun training before they will give you a permit to purchase a handgun. The permit however is specific to a handgun you've already bought. Not a general purchase permit.

Buying rifles is slightly easier, but not much. They do not have an AW ban however.

The only things that are truly banned are NFA items and rifle type pistols. After living there and moving back home and seeing all of the stupid AR pistol things I consider that a law I could probably get behind if only ;)

austinN4
06-25-16, 06:58
I also don't see how this will pass a challenge in court due to FOPA. the law specifically forbids keeping a list of gun owners by the federal or any state government.

The law only stops those who obey it.

ABNAK
06-25-16, 08:28
I am curious about this and have found no answer online.

I have bought a rifle and a pistol while stationed in Hawaii. This was more than 6 years ago.

Did they submit all firearm registrations or is this only going forward? Because that sucks I'm on "the list" now.

:lol:

Oh God, I've got some beachfront property in Arizona to sell ya too!

glocktogo
06-25-16, 08:43
You have no idea. Coming from a free state, I didn't either. But they know alllll about you.

All weapons in Hawaii are registered. Its a process that involves 3 trips to the police station along with fingerprints and a fee and 2 week waiting period for *each* handgun you want to buy, and being ridiculed by the "I hate white people but they pay me to be here and tread on the rights of my island brothers" sell outs at HPD while you do it.

Also noteworthy to mention is that if you miss the timeline your permit is available (it's like 5 days) you forfeit your registration fee and have to start all over again. Also there is only one station on Oahu that allows you to register firearms and it's M-F business hours only so if you work and live on the north shore buying a handgun requires at minimum 8 hours of missed work in order to make the drive and wait in line three separate days. You also must provide proof of handgun training before they will give you a permit to purchase a handgun. The permit however is specific to a handgun you've already bought. Not a general purchase permit.

Buying rifles is slightly easier, but not much. They do not have an AW ban however.

The only things that are truly banned are NFA items and rifle type pistols. After living there and moving back home and seeing all of the stupid AR pistol things I consider that a law I could probably get behind if only ;)

Are you saying they don't have a black market for guns?

Never register, never submit. This is perfect proof of why. Connecticut and New York will follow suit. Just hide and watch. :(

Eurodriver
06-25-16, 09:23
All *legally owned* guns are registered ;)

Pilot1
06-25-16, 09:55
Hawaii is pat of Japan and China. It is not the USA.

williejc
06-25-16, 10:25
Did anybody ask the FBI if it wanted the extra work? Or if it would accept the data? And just how complicated(expensive)is this task?

JC5188
06-25-16, 10:32

Damn. What a shit show.

I wonder if the criminals there register their stolen guns...you know, because they are supposed to?

I DO love the brown ladies however, so I guess there's still a reason to visit. :)

williejc
06-25-16, 10:56
Quick research showed that H has 1.45 million people, and gun ownership rate is 5.1/1000 people. The math revealed that about 7500 people are gun owners. So, when put in place, the intent will be to determine who among this 7500 will commit crime in the 49 other states. Since H is isolated, the probability of any of the 7500 legal gun owners "getting in trouble" in the other 49 is thin and slim. And remember, they jumped through hoops to buy the weapons in the first place.

Well, I guess that former Hawaii resident Eurodriver will have at least a couple more people peeping through his keyhole. :stop:

MountainRaven
06-25-16, 12:20
Damn. What a shit show.

I wonder if the criminals there register their stolen guns...you know, because they are supposed to?

I DO love the brown ladies however, so I guess there's still a reason to visit. :)

IIRC, SCotUS has held that it is a violation of the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution for felons to be charged with failing to register firearms. And specifically NFA firearms.

Because possession of firearms by a felon is a violation of the law, requiring a felon to register their firearms is forcing them to incriminate themselves.

IOW, it's still illegal for felons to possess firearms, but it's not illegal (not any more or less illegal, anyway) for them to possess unregistered firearms, including illegal/unregistered machine guns, SBRs, and silencers.

Eurodriver
06-25-16, 13:16
Wooowwwwww

JC5188
06-25-16, 14:01
IIRC, SCotUS has held that it is a violation of the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution for felons to be charged with failing to register firearms. And specifically NFA firearms.

Because possession of firearms by a felon is a violation of the law, requiring a felon to register their firearms is forcing them to incriminate themselves.

IOW, it's still illegal for felons to possess firearms, but it's not illegal (not any more or less illegal, anyway) for them to possess unregistered firearms, including illegal/unregistered machine guns, SBRs, and silencers.

Well, yeah.

My point was that their policy has ZERO potential to accomplish what they claim that it will. Just like all other gun control policy.

Also, why do they spend so much time on this as opposed to other behaviors? As a cause of death, illegal firearms pale in comparison to the other leading causes. If you take out suicides, twice as many people in the US die from STDs as do from guns of any type. And that's just the preventable CoD numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preventable_causes_of_death#Leading_causes_in_the_United_States

MountainRaven
06-25-16, 14:06
Wooowwwwww

Haynes v. United States.

A link to the Wikipedia article: here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haynes_v._United_States).
Link to FindLaw article: here (http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/390/85.html).

Highlights:
Ruling made in 1968.
7-1 decision - Earl Warren dissenting, Thurgood Marshall did not participate.
NFA amended shortly after to make it a crime only for those who can lawfully possess NFA firearms to possess unregistered NFA firearms.
Original ruling continues to be used to block prosecution of criminals for possession of unregistered firearms under state and local registration laws.

Well, yeah.

My point was that their policy has ZERO potential to accomplish what they claim that it will. Just like all other gun control policy.

Also, why do they spend so much time on this as opposed to other behaviors? As a cause of death, illegal firearms pale in comparison to the other leading causes. If you take out suicides, twice as many people in the US die from STDs as do from guns of any type. And that's just the preventable CoD numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preventable_causes_of_death#Leading_causes_in_the_United_States

I thought that went without saying.

Although one of the architects of the '94 AWB was on NPR last week saying that the NFA severely curtailed the use of SBRs and machine guns in the commission of crimes (I think he was arguing for the amendment of the NFA to include registering "assault weapons").

Koshinn
06-25-16, 14:09

Ive read that case.

To reiterate: if caught, they cant be charged with BOTH illegal possession of a firearm (due to being a felon) and possession of an unregistered firearm, just illegal possession.

One of the reasons I left Hawaii.

To add, there is a 10 rd mag capacity limit on pistols too. There is a "dont ask dont tell" thing going on regarding AR pistols. The idea is, if 11+ rd pistol mags are banned an AR pistols exist, are 11+ rd STANAG 5.56 mags banned? Possibly yes, but then since AR pistols are banned, the 11+ rd pmag won't be used in a pistol, so it should be considered a rifle mag. Maybe. Thus gun stores openly sell 30+ rd pmags and no one talks about it or has been arrested for owning one.

For the benefit of the haoles ( :p ), the only difference with rifles is that a rifle permit is for all rifle purchases for 1 yr, while the pistol permit is for the specific pistol. There's some other crap going on with Hawaii gun laws, but they usually arent enforced.

Like technically, a gun can only be legally owned between your house and the range or your house and the gun shop/smith, but not at the range or shop/smith. Or that firearms are banned at the police station, so taking one in to register is technically a crime, but would probably be entrapment so they don't do anything.

MountainRaven
06-25-16, 14:15
Ive read that case.

To reiterate: if caught, they cant be charged with BOTH illegal possession of a firearm (due to being a felon) and possession of an unregistered firearm, just illegal possession.

In any event, it is no more illegal for a prohibited person to possess an M2 machine gun than it is for them to possess a 10/22.

JC5188
06-25-16, 15:17
I thought that went without saying.

Goes without saying? Of course it goes without saying.

It was an obvious rhetorical question. You think I was actually asking if felons registered their stolen guns?

Come on, now...lol

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-25-16, 15:19
Wasn't there also a sign off in Hawaii from your doc that you aren't crazy?

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-25-16, 15:33
Goes without saying? Of course it goes without saying.

It was an obvious rhetorical question. You think I was actually asking if felons registered their stolen guns?

Come on, now...lol

Pot shops here have to pay taxes....

Honu
06-25-16, 15:55
few thoughts being from the islands :)
I can totally see this happening and I can also say I would think its a inside quiet gov test as Hawaii is used a LOT as a test bed since its so isolated
oahu is not representative of the other islands so much and I can see say the big island for the most part ignoring most all of this especially in more local areas
did not read is this Oahu only or all islands ?

if you a local boy (hapa or haole can be local) in good connection you can have whatever you want and no worries
its who you know in the islands not what you know

the islands have a 3rd world charm with the safety of the USA
anyone who has lived there and hung with true locals the way people live eat work especially more so on outer islands knows this
example dog is on the menu ! and again your car no pass inspection no worries you can go to someone I know and pass

when I lived on Lanai I had guns high capacity mags etc... no registration no worries nobody cared ! and I was local haole there so I could get away with it :)
I would not bring them to Maui though !!!! again who you know ! not what is the law etc...

if you look up the gun laws they are insane and they used to be even more insane and in some ways gotten better
scary stuff

the islands did a survey of the ice (batu) use and it was something like %48 said they are using it !!!!!!
its beyond epidemic and for sure over half your resort hotel workers be using !!!!!

every single person I knew has had a car stolen there including me ! I kid you not EVERY SINGLE friend
Hawaii is like 3rd in the USA for car theft but the problem is that is just the reported ones !
we have had Dengue fever outbreak multiple times
the flesh eating bacteria thing was killing people maybe 3-5 a year and only a few reports the rest is covered up under other things
look up bronchial related deaths 3x any other state !
the petty crime is HUGE and easily IMHO most likely the most of any state as its everywhere and all the time again only a few get reported for how many happen
(edit to add) still super safe as far as anything happening to you personally very safe only tourists that die are the stupid ones who do not listen to weather or the way they drive) and tourist cars rarely almost never get stolen !!!!! broken into yes but never stolen cause again the cops will get you for that

example when my truck was stolen there was no worry to find it ? just another truck but when you dumb enough to steal from the (local construction company) young brothers and you steal there back hoe and leave it in your YARD !!!!! and the helicopter tour guy seems some back hoe where there should not be and reports they find yours and others trucks !!!! and of course you screw with young brothers not so good for you !!!!!

again I miss it what I know and loved and you look over that when you local cause again its what you know ! so ya kinda live around it but I can also see why so many move there and then shortly move off island cause its not what they thought it was !!!! and that means everything that some can no come to grip with :)

its sad about laws like this but really again I say this cause its only going to effect some malahini and sadly I can see them being so ignorant that they could see it as keeping outside folks from moving there as they would think you are the bad guys with guns and they wont even deal with all the issues they have already !!!!
and again I can see it as a test bed as that is common to happen

side note I found some places here though that sell local things so I can have my good shoyu and my coconut crackers and manapua and mochi treats :)
so hey mainland not so bad :) not the islands cause I can have cool guns but no have the awesome beaches and stuff guess its all a balance :)
also my kids 7,12 dont have to go through the pounding so much by the small % that ruin it for the rest of the locals who are truly amazing people :)
so dont wrap up all Hawaiian local folks as bad most are shirt off there back for you kinda folks and its that small % that make it bad for everyone :)
sadly the politicians are some of the worst self centered corrupt folks IMHO

Firefly
06-25-16, 15:59
Wow.....And people actually want to vacation there.

JC5188
06-25-16, 16:12
Pot shops here have to pay taxes....

Please see Honu's post above.

Honu
06-25-16, 16:15
hahahah its awesome though seriously visit Maui or Kauai or big island in that order IMHO skip Oahu !!!!
sadly you never leave anything in your rental and or on the beach when swimming !
you go to beach to swim bring cheap rubber slippers and your hotel towel that is it !!!! your drivers lic and a couple bucks in a clip in your pocket
lucky the crime for violence is insanely low its just the petty stuff :) so in some ways safer physically than other places

like very few murders say on Maui very few
which in itself should say nobody is shooting anyone up so why the more laws STUPID !!!!!!
criminals dont use guns in the islands much

if you have never been so worth going :) the food alone is worth it fresh fish plate lunch etc...
its so much safer than most parts of the world and I would never go to Chicago or NY or LA etc..

Eurodriver
06-25-16, 16:19
So does anyone know if this applies to all firearms currently registered in HI? or only new purchases?

Ther system is pretty old school from what I recall. Everything was being done on paper forms. It must take a long ass time to get that info to the Feds

Jokes on them though. The only two AR15 Lowers I bought and registered in Hawaii are now NFA registered SBRs.

People always talked to me like "Wow! I can't believe you work here!"

Sure, driving from Kailua passed Mokapu into Hawaii Kai was probably the most epic drive in the history of driving but you still have to go to work. I don't get why anyone would vacation in Hawaii. Tourists get spotted a mile out and they never even go to the truly beautiful places.

Honu
06-25-16, 16:36
but I LOVED going to work !!!! ya just have to have the correct job :) hahahahaha
me on the right
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=40164&d=1423253645

my work was awesome :)

Sure, driving from Kailua passed Mokapu into Hawaii Kai was probably the most epic drive in the history of driving but you still have to go to work. I don't get why anyone would vacation in Hawaii. Tourists get spotted a mile out and they never even go to the truly beautiful places.40164

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-25-16, 18:34
Went to Maui for spring break. Did a whale watching tour where the "expert" told me that killer whales don't eat people because we have too many chemicals in us....

What the hell happens to a stolen car in Hawaii? Pretty hard to get it out of state to chop shop?

I was so picturing Honu as a big Samoan looking guy who couldn't reach the shift key.

Honu
06-25-16, 18:46
OH MAN slap that expert off the boat !!!!
if it was from the stupid whale foundation there I can see why a bunch of lefty idiots :)
or they brought over a expert from the mainland meaning some tool got the job :) ahahahahahaha

hahahahahaha to funny not huge samoan that cant reach shift key or that little dot one . :) ahhaahah it is funny to see someone who you see post online and think HUH not what I thought they were !!!! plus this is old pic of me like 20 years ago :)
my brain to fast fingers to slow :) got to keep some of that lazy island stuff going :)

cars either end up in more local places used local say on Maui up country or Hana or happy valley etc.. and never come out or just driven for a few days then dumped
or they end up parted out and some whole going to the Philippines in a container

Went to Maui for spring break. Did a whale watching tour where the "expert" told me that killer whales don't eat people because we have too many chemicals in us....

What the hell happens to a stolen car in Hawaii? Pretty hard to get it out of state to chop shop?

I was so picturing Honu as a big Samoan looking guy who couldn't reach the shift key.

Moose-Knuckle
06-26-16, 02:53
the islands have a 3rd world charm with the safety of the USA

This describes my experience to the proverbial "t".

look up bronchial related deaths 3x any other state !

Why is that, tropical climate?

side note I found some places here though that sell local things so I can have my good shoyu and my coconut crackers and manapua and mochi treats :)

If you're ever in TX we have L&L's in DFW and San Antonio! I wished we had Zippy's too.

Moose-Knuckle
06-26-16, 02:58

We honeymooned there, best trip of my life.

Actually got depressed at the airport when we had to leave.

Honu
06-26-16, 05:20
VOG
volcanic fog its the sulfur dioxide is the stuff that gets you !!!
sadly that is why I had to move never bugged me and one year it hit me
coughing blood passing out cause my lungs were so choked up with it etc..
went from 4+ minute breath hold free diving guy in good shape to not being able to breathe enough to stay conscious !!!
had me on all kinds of meds and said enough is enough and moved

once I had it I was shocked at how many other do
with our kids our doc said about half the kids in school use inhalers when the vog rolls in they call it environmental asthma

also I can say on our boat most us were in good shape but one of us always seemed to have bronchitis ?

yeah L&L is not bad but nothing like true plate lunch :) ahaahhaahha
but I am pretty good cook make my own stuff my 12 year old girl LOVES loco moco etc..

a couple other Hawaiian plate lunch places here I have to try someday :)

This describes my experience to the proverbial "t".

Why is that, tropical climate?

If your ever in TX we have L&L's in DFW and San Antonio! I wished we had Zippy's too.

Wake27
06-26-16, 06:48
Well this blows.

Eurodriver
06-26-16, 07:06
We honeymooned there, best trip of my life.

Actually got depressed at the airport when we had to leave.

Stay for another 3 and a half years and you'll be celebrating when your sentence, I mean vacation, is over.

I'm also assuming you didn't spend much time in the Puna district of the big island or Wainaea...

That place sucks.

Averageman
06-26-16, 11:21
http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/view.php?pk_id=0000000135

Yes it is the 9th Circuit Court.
Now please take a look at that Map. Clearly this insures that the issue will be heard soon and by the SCotUS. This in conjunction with a few other cases shows the direction Hillary wants to take this.

Eurodriver
06-26-16, 11:55
What.

Turnkey11
06-26-16, 12:58
I have about 20 guns in the registry at HPD, I only own 6 of them now, 2 have been form 4'ed. Good luck with the accurate list.

Eurodriver
06-26-16, 13:14
I have about 20 guns in the registry at HPD, I only own 6 of them now, 2 have been form 4'ed. Good luck with the accurate list.

I'm in a similar boat, but that's not what concerns me. What bugs me (and presumably others) is that this is not a list of guns but a list of people.

Koshinn
06-26-16, 13:20
Well this blows.

Did you switch your residency to Hawaii or are you keeping whatever you had before?

Honu
06-26-16, 16:11
you stationed there ? or live there not in military ?

just curious I would hope the military could do something to exempt this idiocy for the people stationed there !!!!

Well this blows.

nml
06-26-16, 16:13
Look at the ICE "rap back" where they release dangerous felons without proper channel notification. Or Linda Woodford Navy accounting. Or Medicare and IRS mass fraud schemes.

These people aren't good at running things. This thing is useless.

Honu
06-26-16, 16:32
gun crime in Hawaii is super super low and always was the lowest in the US sure it still is !!!
murders almost never happen on Maui as example
a few reasons surf shorts being the biggest nobody wants to be packing a gun so maybe one in a back pack ? but even then with petty theft being so bad you can never just hit the beach and go surf etc..your backpack and stolen gun will get stolen ! and its kinda a cultural thing
heck even the old McDonalds commercials told the kids skip school surf is up come grab some spam and eggs before you go !!! so the whole society is about being lazy and playing
also why bother with a gun its much more fun to pound someone you have beef with along with 20 of your friends to make sure you win
and domestic violence is rampant again along with petty crime ! again you don't want to kill them you just want to pound them !
a local with a beed against you will never say hey haole boy you like me kill you ! NO its always hey haole boy you like me pound you
almost nobody wants to kill others except the gangs and again the gangs will kill each other as do domestic abuse people etc..
but guns are not the only choice used stabbing and machete attacks and drownings and accidents
but again bad guys use guns in crimes but rare and they are always stolen guns so as we know NONE of these will do anything to the criminals only the good guys

so I can see the gov using this as a prime example of how SENSIBLE gun laws worked we have the island to prove this !!!! because everyone was in a database it was easy to find the bad guy etc..

well once again Hawaii is WHO you know and not WHAT so the police already know who the bad guys are and who the bad guys are with a gun !!!!! and once again the shanty areas nobody has legal guns and none of those will be registered to those owners

and my other thought is when does the you are responsible for your guns come into play if you do not lock em up proper etc.. I can see them making laws that make you share responsibility !

I can guarantee you this was not Hawaii idea as much as it was current admin and then use this paradise as the example for all states to follow with cause look how awesome it has worked there !!!

Wake27
06-26-16, 18:08
Did you switch your residency to Hawaii or are you keeping whatever you had before?

you stationed there ? or live there not in military ?

just curious I would hope the military could do something to exempt this idiocy for the people stationed there !!!!

Stationed here. I'm still a VA resident but I have registered firearms so I'm sure I'm on there.

Honu
06-26-16, 18:14
I really hope you folks stationed there can get exempt somehow from this insanity !!!! wonder what its going to do to folks like you now ? will that follow you etc.. ?

freaking insane whats going on

Stationed here. I'm still a VA resident but I have registered firearms so I'm sure I'm on there.

Koshinn
06-26-16, 18:44

Good luck :(

I'm visiting hawaii next weekend actually lol, haven't seen my family there in about a year and a half.

Eurodriver
06-26-16, 19:04
I still haven't seen any specifics how this list is being submitted. All of my shit is on paper; I don't even know if they put it in a computer system. Does anyone have details? Are they just mailing the pink copies of the registration to the FBI?

SteyrAUG
06-26-16, 21:20
I'm in a similar boat, but that's not what concerns me. What bugs me (and presumably others) is that this is not a list of guns but a list of people.

Way I figure it, I've probably been on "the list" since I was 12.

Moose-Knuckle
06-27-16, 03:23
Stay for another 3 and a half years and you'll be celebrating when your sentence, I mean vacation, is over.

I'm also assuming you didn't spend much time in the Puna district of the big island or Wainaea...

That place sucks.

Nope we just stayed on O'ahu and did all that corny tourist stuff. My only regret is that I didn't have time (were there seven days) to do the USS Missouri and Aviation Museum of the Pacific. Hell, Pearl took us one whole day.

We plan on going back but we're do Maui one trip and maybe Kaua'i. I would like to visit the Big Island if for no other reason than Volcano National Park and would love to visit Mauna Kea when it's snow capped.