PDA

View Full Version : Record Keeping, Logging, Inventory, Maintenance

The_Watcher
06-25-16, 11:20
I have been shooting for two decades and over that period of time I have accumulated a lot of stuff. I am considering beginning to record an inventory of my firearm related paraphernalia- including the firearms themselves. I was never in the military and have never really kept detailed logs of rounds fired, maintenance, cleaning, replacement, or inventory of ammunition, magazines, RDS, BUIS, Rails, Lowers, etc.

If you are, how are you monitoring these things? Digital(excel, programs specific for this)? Handwrtitten logs?

If you are not, why not? Are you only monitoring round count?

Eurodriver
06-25-16, 12:16
I'm a numbers guy. I use excel.

I keep a simple list of my firearms by type, manuf, serial number, round count, and upgrades along with the zero distance and dope for specific distances and ammunition combos. I also have load data if that weapon uses hand loaded ammo.

I store it on my PC encrypted.

austinN4
06-25-16, 12:23

I do the same.

SourwoodJD
06-25-16, 12:39
Old school spiral bound notebook.
Brand, model, cal, SN, accessories, date purchased, price, from whom, and notes.

I need to step up to the comp world but would definitely want it secured.

Zirk208
06-25-16, 12:51
I use a spiral bound "Rite in the Rain" notepad, strictly to track round count. Nothing has broken or been replaced yet, but I imagine I'll add notes along the way for things like that. I don't track cleaning.

Firefly
06-25-16, 15:54
I use those little nondescript looking journals from Barnes and Noble.

I would use excel but I like having it written down because, well, it is my comfort zone.

Ryno12
06-25-16, 17:58
I keep digital pictures of all my firearms & serial numbers for insurance purposes. Beyond that, I don't see any value added to keeping records of anything else.

Gunnar da Wolf
06-25-16, 18:12
I've been using Powerpoint to keep photos of each gun along with a bullet point page with brand, cost, serial number and accessories listed. When a gun is sold or disposed of it goes to the end of the presentation with a notation of who it was sold to.

For the guns that I keep a log on i use one of the small notebooks sold at Target, Walmart or in the book store.

SomeOtherGuy
06-25-16, 18:15
I use a spreadsheet. It is extremely valuable when:
-I don't know if an optic is sighted in, or with what ammo at what distance;
-I want to use the same lube as last time and can't remember;
-I don't know when I last shot a gun or upper; or
-Some combination of ammo and rifle, or magazine and rifle, isn't reliable and I need to remind myself what it is. (And no, this doesn't always mean X is crap for not working with Y - for example I have a Noveske lower that doesn't play well with a Daniel Defense upper.)

It also lets me easily keep track of round count, so if something breaks or wears out, I can look at the use and decide if it was at its lifespan or if I need to figure out why it broke.

1toughdog
06-25-16, 18:36
Excel spread sheet: 1) firearms with serial numbers, DOP, purchase price and approximate current value; 2) scopes/sights/accessories; 3) ammunition; 4) reloading components, bullets (by caliber/weight) (pistol/rifle) powder, primers, brass; 5) reloading dies and ancillary equipment. And other stuff for nex-of-kin with relative value. Inventory allows me to check at a glance what I need and what I don't. Right now I need small rifle primers and a few pounds of IMR 3031 - tomorrow's job!

Doing the inventory was a pleasant task as I found some stuff I forgot about.

Having it available is reassuring and allows for - easy access to keep current.

EzGoingKev
06-25-16, 18:41
I have a database set up in Access.

donlapalma
06-25-16, 19:28
Another Excel user here. Track all firearms, magazines and silencers. Date of purchase, dollars spent on firearms / parts / upgrades, round count of each firearm & magazine, modifications made & when, maintenance log, any stoppages / malfunctions, and analysis of all firearms & related gear that I've sold to see how much of the original cost I was able to recover (helps me price future items too). It also tracks what type of ammo I've shot through each firearm.

bad aim
06-25-16, 19:45
I keep non-sensitive information in an Excel format on Google Drive so I can access it anywhere.

samuse
06-25-16, 22:57
I keep track of mag and ammo inventory memtally. I always need more, so that's simple.

Since I really only shoot one AR and one high volume handgun, I keep a rough mental estimate of cases shot. Carry pistols get over-maintained due to lack of record keeping.

I keep a shitload of spare AR parts, SR-15 E3 parts, Glock, and Sig parts. I always need more mags. I get bored and sell a gun long before I wear it out, usually 20-25K rounds.

blade_68
06-27-16, 10:47
Rite in rain notebook with SN for record of ownership.
Long range gun log book... need a good range to rebuild dope for after mods....and Old dope in logbook for different rifle.
Digital photos showing sn and optics.
Ammo if I don't know that means need to buy more magazines and parts same.

Slater
06-27-16, 13:00
For anyone owning an HK firearm, there's a gen-u-ine HK record book for you:

https://us.hkwebshop.com/HKWebShop/show/byItemID/10046//258

nova3930
06-27-16, 13:08
Excel with hardcopy backup. Try and break up maintenance into easy to remember, kitchen sink intervals.

Dienekes
06-27-16, 13:36
Started keeping track a long time ago: file folder for each weapon, typed notes as to when, where, and how. NO way could I ever stay current or remember everything I did to a gun 20-30 years ago. I do keep a basic inventory on a computer program to include estimated values, but it's minimal. I fully expect them to someday go poof like Hilary's e-mails.

Same for vehicles.

titsonritz
06-27-16, 15:10

Ditto

jpmuscle
06-27-16, 15:45
Started keeping track a long time ago: file folder for each weapon, typed notes as to when, where, and how. NO way could I ever stay current or remember everything I did to a gun 20-30 years ago. I do keep a basic inventory on a computer program to include estimated values, but it's minimal. I fully expect them to someday go poof like Hilary's e-mails.

Same for vehicles.
Just keep them on a secret server and you'll be fine

HKGuns
06-27-16, 16:42
I use an app on my iphone called GunLog SPC. Works really well for me and allows you to associate pictures with your data.

Firefly
06-27-16, 16:57
I use an app on my iphone called GunLog SPC. Works really well for me and allows you to associate pictures with your data.

I don't want to be "that guy" but does this data get shared?

Like for android(which I regret), Amazon's App wants access to everything that it really has no need or good reason to have. So I don't use that app.

HKGuns
06-27-16, 17:49
Nope and I am very careful about my privacy settings on my phone. On the Iphone you can control what applications are able to access in the privacy settings. It is just as safe, if not safer, than keeping it on a spreadsheet on your computer. (Most computers have had the Chinese or Russians crawling around at one point or another.)

nml
06-28-16, 22:24
Only round counts. If you find an extra gun it is that same feeling as finding an extra five in your pants.

Round counts should be digital so everyone overseas knows not to **** with the USA.

SeriousStudent
06-28-16, 22:35
I use an Excel spreadsheet uploaded into Office 365. I can upload round counts and other data at the range, and then access it on the laptop for the reloading bench I am building at the garage.

Wake27
06-29-16, 06:50
I use My Gun Database. Good program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAVDOC
06-29-16, 08:37
I run stuff until it breaks or until I get close to a rough estimate of interval replacement schedule for things like springs. I do not get ocd about this stuff. A barrel for example is good until the accuracy falls to an unacceptable level regardless of round count. I once had a match rifle ( garand) that was way past reject by gauge but still held ten ring accuracy at 600 yards- it was shot at this point for at least 2000 more rounds before accuracy fell off.
Being a curio and relics guy I have plenty of 80+ year old rifles with all original parts still getting it done.

Captiva
07-05-16, 20:29
Anyone want to share their spreadsheet template?

Sent from my AT&T rotary wall phone using Tapatalk

Wallace's
07-05-16, 21:13
I keep digital pictures of all my firearms & serial numbers for insurance purposes.

This is what I do. Several copies, but I also keep a hand written one as well as a flash drive too.

BatteryOperated
07-06-16, 05:39
All of the above. I use the excel spreadsheet and have pictures and serial numbers of every weapon. The MSRP cost and the purchase price of all add-ons such as rails, sights, lights, RDS's and mounts are also included. This gives me an estimate of total value of an assembled OEM pistol or rifle. I also keep a round count of how much ammo of each caliber I have on hand, and how much used at the range. This also includes how much per round I spent on a certain ammo purchase. I guess I have nothing better to do ;-)

Screwball
07-06-16, 07:15
I use My Gun Database. Good program.

There were a few with that name (iOS), but mine has an M&P pistol on the icon. If the same one, I'll agree with that.

I keep pictures, serial numbers, and descriptions on my phone mainly in case of theft. I do use it to quickly see modifications I've done, as well as show someone what I have. I do keep a file, locked up, which has most of the sale documents and some receipts (like trips to Robar)... but that is cumbersome to look through. There is no sharing of data, unless you physically want to make a PDF sheet of a gun. Secured by either my fingerprint/PIN on the phone, or the secured iPhone backup on my laptop (can't load without a password).

People did mention round counts, and I also started implementing it in AmmoBase (iOS app). First off, I have a complete database of all the ammo I own... which is great. If I'm at a Cabela's or a gun show, I can see how many rounds of 10mm I have, the basic specifics (manufacturer, bullet type, weight), and how much I paid for them. There are links to pages like Gunbot, for extra reference.

I predominantly keep my ammo in plastic ammo boxes (Cabela's), which currently works out to six different ones (have some calibers, usually surplus, in smaller boxes... which I call generic boxes). I put a number on each and marked which one has what. If I want to pull out .22 CBs, quick lookup, and I can open the right one without searching for them. Might sound pointless, but those boxes get HEAVY when you have them fully loaded. Only issue is ammo in guns/magazines, but I just leave them listed in the box until they are shot...

When I do shoot, there is a button on each ammo page for range sessions. Click it, select the gun (I put a serial number and associated calibers for quick reference on each gun profile), date, number of rounds fired, and number of malfunctions. There is also a notes spot, which I use if there is anything I want to remember... such as the original issues when my .45 D/I had to go back due to an issue with gas rings (I wrote exactly what happened at the range, talk with the manufacturer, and then a post follow up with what was found to be wrong). I used to keep a bound book on it, but it went MIA at the range... which stunk, because I had a few years in it. This one I'm a little less worried about... so the security is similar to the other app. But AmmoBase allows you to save a backup to the phone, as well as sync to Dropbox. I mainly do that because of having lost my book, I rather be able to recover this data... none of which is truly usable.

I did try iDatabook... but that pretty much is an abortion.

agr1279
07-06-16, 08:39
I keep the info in a military style round count book. I used to keep the info on a computer but one or two crashes in the late 90's and early 00's I lost everything so I went back to paper.

Dan

BuzzinSATX
07-06-16, 09:06

I've used the "Gun Log +P" iPhone app for several years. I mainly use it as a tracker for firearms, accessories, and a quasi ammo inventory. I think it is a lesser version of the "SPC", and I agree it is really useful.

I'm not very detailed at record keeping, just the main stuff like dates, $ amounts, serial #s, who, what, where, when guns were bought/sold. I don't really track rounds fired. I can also include photos of the firearms (4 per gun in my app). I typically take a full photo of the gun, a closeup of the serial number, a pic of the receipt, and a pic of a bill of sale if I sold it.

But this app is capable of doing a lot more, like maintenance records and round counts, range sessions and parts inventories. Just not something I really care to use. I have a hard time keeping up with my ammo with any real detail.

FYI, this app's developer is "Slink Works"

Take Care,

Buzz

HKGuns
07-07-16, 09:26
I've used the "Gun Log +P" iPhone app for several years. I mainly use it as a tracker for firearms, accessories, and a quasi ammo inventory. I think it is a lesser version of the "SPC", and I agree it is really useful.

I'm not very detailed at record keeping, just the main stuff like dates, $ amounts, serial #s, who, what, where, when guns were bought/sold. I don't really track rounds fired. I can also include photos of the firearms (4 per gun in my app). I typically take a full photo of the gun, a closeup of the serial number, a pic of the receipt, and a pic of a bill of sale if I sold it.

But this app is capable of doing a lot more, like maintenance records and round counts, range sessions and parts inventories. Just not something I really care to use. I have a hard time keeping up with my ammo with any real detail.

FYI, this app's developer is "Slink Works"

Take Care,

Buzz

I use it in nearly the same way. I have far too much going on to count rounds.

+P was discontinued and SPC is the follow on app to +P. I started with +P and switched to SPC when it was discontinued.

BuzzinSATX
07-07-16, 14:12
I still use +P and I believe it's still supported with updates.

Did your data migrate from +P into SPC automatically? Or was it a hassle?

Also, do you find SPC worth the trouble to upgrade?

Take Care,

Buzz

HKGuns
07-07-16, 20:50
I still use +P and I believe it's still supported with updates.

Did your data migrate from +P into SPC automatically? Or was it a hassle?

Also, do you find SPC worth the trouble to upgrade?

Take Care,

Buzz

No it required me to manually copy a file to the new software using iTunes.

Wasn't hard just not something you normally have to do. Good instructions on the website of the company though.

03rone
07-15-16, 01:30
SourwoodJD
For just secure docs archiver, I keep an old pc around encryted, and never put it online anymore, with a backup of it to an external stored elsewhere.

And I keep my records per firearm, sn, round count, accessories,& costs. I always cringe when I see the last part, I haven't gone to dope yet as I've not stepped up to over 200yrds maybe when I get my first bolt action.