PDA

View Full Version : 4th Generation War Comes to America

Dienekes
06-26-16, 14:22
Just ran across this piece on Michael Yon's site, where he mentions a friend's online essay and offers some comments of his own. Although all the facts about Orlando aren't in, and in any event will probably not ever be completely aired due to pervasive CYA, we can still think out loud. For the time being, anyway.

I hope that this isn't a violation of some rule or other. As far as I'm concerned, it highlights some major issues, and connects some dots in interesting ways. I've read some of the stuff cited, and while I'm not 100% on board with any of them, there's some truth here. Maybe it's just all a restatement of not taking advice from people who don't have as much to lose as you do.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/orlando-shooting-excellent-piece-by-marine-tim-lynch.htm

HKGuns
06-26-16, 14:33
The book he mentions in his write up, "The Gift of Fear" is a great book and every female you know should read it. Very very sobering.

sevenhelmet
06-26-16, 15:11
The author lost a lot of credibility in my eyes when he said "That officer demonstrated tier one operator levels of performance in combat marksmenship and tactical decision making."

:rolleyes:

How about simply "That officer demonstrated outstanding combat marksmanship and tactical decision making." It was a good shoot, no doubt about it. But just because you shoot a couple of terrorists doesn't mean you're performing at the level of a top-tier SEAL. The use of "tier one" expressions has gotten a little out of control.

That said, I do agree with large portions of the article. Especially the notion about individuals fighting back. You don't cower from a bully, you try and break his jaw. Even if you fail, he knows he can expect resistance, which means his terrorism isn't working.

Outlander Systems
06-26-16, 17:14
He's right, but doesn't go far enough.

We are in a state of war. There will be more Orlandos. More San Bernadinos. More switched-off, spoon-fed zombies clamoring to blame inanimate objects. if I hit my thumb with a hammer, I don't blame the hammer.

Regardless, we are on our own. Until the government institutes a civilian outreach program, and provides training, get your own training. Until the government officially sanctions a "Civilian Auxiliary Assistance Support Group", pack deep and keep your ****ing lip zippered. Work on making hits on a dome-sized target at distance. Repeatedly. Do shoot/no-shoot training.

You, as the armed citizen, not the self-congratulating, disconnected-from-reality, political class are both the target of this warfare campaign, as well as the biggest threat to its success.

As I stated in the Orlando thread, we are at war with a political-religious force.

As a play on the old cliche, when seconds matter, the SWAT team is only hours away.

We. Are. On. Our. Own.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-26-16, 17:23
Bring a CCW or a tourniquet... Or both.

Inkslinger
06-26-16, 17:42
He's right, but doesn't go far enough.

We are in a state of war. There will be more Orlandos. More San Bernadinos. More switched-off, spoon-fed zombies clamoring to blame inanimate objects. if I hit my thumb with a hammer, I don't blame the hammer.

Regardless, we are on our own. Until the government institutes a civilian outreach program, and provides training, get your own training. Until the government officially sanctions a "Civilian Auxiliary Assistance Support Group", pack deep and keep your ****ing lip zippered. Work on making hits on a dome-sized target at distance. Repeatedly. Do shoot/no-shoot training.

You, as the armed citizen, not the self-congratulating, disconnected-from-reality, political class are both the target of this warfare campaign, as well as the biggest threat to its success.

As I stated in the Orlando thread, we are at war with a political-religious force.

As a play on the old cliche, when seconds matter, the SWAT team is only hours away.

We. Are. On. Our. Own.

I need a "like" button for this.