PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9c for CCW

Blstr88
06-27-16, 04:23
Hey guys, wanted to get your thoughts on the M&P 9c for daily CCW.

I've been carrying an M&P Shield regularly for a few years now but have recently been thinking of upgrading to something with a little more capacity. From what I've gathered the M&P 9c is similar in size to the Shield, basically a double stack version of it...and I like that the 9c can accept the fullsize M&P9 magazines, giving me the ability to carry a 17 round reload.

Unfortunately from my internet searches Ive been reading a lot of negatives about the pistol, primarily its trigger - is it really as bad as some people say? I'm no expert shooter, I just want a simple rugged CCW that will work when I need it to.

Just looking for some honest feedback. And for anyone who does carry one, any recommendations on AIWB holsters that work well for you?

Palmguy
06-27-16, 06:39
If you find the trigger to be problematic, adding an Apex sear and striker block will fix that.

WillBrink
06-27-16, 08:02
Hey guys, wanted to get your thoughts on the M&P 9c for daily CCW.

I've been carrying an M&P Shield regularly for a few years now but have recently been thinking of upgrading to something with a little more capacity. From what I've gathered the M&P 9c is similar in size to the Shield, basically a double stack version of it...and I like that the 9c can accept the fullsize M&P9 magazines, giving me the ability to carry a 17 round reload.

Unfortunately from my internet searches Ive been reading a lot of negatives about the pistol, primarily its trigger - is it really as bad as some people say? I'm no expert shooter, I just want a simple rugged CCW that will work when I need it to.

Just looking for some honest feedback. And for anyone who does carry one, any recommendations on AIWB holsters that work well for you?

Everything in the M&P line is generally GTG. The trigger is not a strong point of the design (but gotten better with each gen), and many will add an Apex kit to it. People whine about everything and anything. If you're rec is "simple rugged CCW that will work when I need it to" you found it.

Gingerkid
06-27-16, 08:29
I carried the M&Pc since they were first released and then moved to a Shield a couple of years ago. Out of the box, the M&Pc would likely have an even better trigger from a 'pull weight' standpoint. My Shield trigger was something stupid, around 8lb - now fixed with APEX parts. Both are great guns, the Shield obviously is thinner and more comfortable/concealable.

As mentioned, APEX goodies can cure any trigger issues... with that said, I would guess a stock M&Pc would have a better trigger than what you are currently used to on your Shield.

jdgiii
06-27-16, 10:08
I own and carry a S&W Shield, M&P9c, and a M&P9. They all get carried based on my attire and/or where I will be. I always carry the largest one I can. I most often end up carrying the compact. It is a good compromise between compact size and firepower. Slightly smaller than a G19 yet larger than a G26. It is the newest manufacture (Feb 2016) of the 3 and I will say that it has the best trigger. That being said I have oredered Apex trigger fss kits for the 9 and 9c. I hope to wring a little more accuracy out of them by this upgrade. I haven't decided if I will do anything with the shield trigger yet, which happens to have the heaviest perceived pull of the 3 pistols. For an aiwb holster I have experience with the G-Code and Dale Fricke Designs. Both are gtg. I agree with WillBrink about the whiners. Try to put your hands on one and shoot it. Good Luck.

carbine357
06-27-16, 16:18
m&p 9-c is better out of the box than any shield PERIOD

I have carried them all.

9-c with an apex is damn near the perfect gun if u cant carry a 1911.

take the spare mag, add an arrendono extension
'add the full length spring from the full size m&p 9mm.
30 rds in a small pkg. carry every day in a galco shoulder rig

life is good

carbine 357

WickedWillis
06-27-16, 17:56
m&p 9-c is better out of the box than any shield PERIOD

I have carried them all.

9-c with an apex is damn near the perfect gun if u cant carry a 1911.

take the spare mag, add an arrendono extension
'add the full length spring from the full size m&p 9mm.
30 rds in a small pkg. carry every day in a galco shoulder rig

life is good

carbine 357

I could not disagree with this statement more. You can't call it "better out of the box than any Shield PERIOD" when the M&P9c trigger is garbage from the factory. The Shield is superior right out of the box in everything except for capacity. The 9c is a compromise gun, and I personally regretted buying one, so I sold it at a loss.

It feels bulkier to me than the full-size (I know, that is probably just me), and I never shot it close to as well as I did the full size, or the Shield for that matter. My least favorite Smith by a million miles. YMMV.

WillBrink
06-27-16, 18:36
I could not disagree with this statement more. You can't call it "better out of the box than any Shield PERIOD" when the M&P9c trigger is garbage from the factory. The Shield is superior right out of the box in everything except for capacity. The 9c is a compromise gun, and I personally regretted buying one, so I sold it at a loss.

It feels bulkier to me than the full-size (I know, that is probably just me), and I never shot it close to as well as I did the full size, or the Shield for that matter. My least favorite Smith by a million miles. YMMV.

That was the biggest surprise to me. I have had 3 M&P, including the dreaded first gen FS 9mm, that gave me zero problems. I fully expected the Shield to be just a single stack M&P, and such is not the case. The trigger is heavy, but smooth, clean break, and a reset no out of the box M&P can match. I was really surprised by that. As it was CCW mostly appendix, I kept the heavy stock trigger considering other than heavy, it was GTG. I don't know what the design differences are internally, but sure have give S&W credit where it's due for clearly not just shrinking down an M&P. Any tech savvy types tell us what the internal differences are between them?

rjacobs
06-27-16, 20:46
Ive got all 3(FS, C, and Shield). Carried them all. They all have ended up in different roles.

FS is my range/comp gun. Started with Apex DCAEK and Warren Tactical sights. Carried like this for ~2 years in a Super Tuck. Swapped to Apex FSS trigger and Dawson fiber sights(fiber front, black rear).

C now has the DCAEK and the Warren Tactical sights. It sits in my in car safe in my daily driver with 2 spare full size mags. Shoot it once a year and give it a cleaning.

Shield is stock, but I need to get sights and and apex kit for it. Daily carry since spring 2013. Shoot it every 6 months. 8+1 in the gun and 8 round spare. Carried in a LaTour Customs holster since day 1. I dont feel under-gunned in 99% of daily situations.

When I feel I need more gun I will carry an H&K P30 or HK45 as I dont like carrying the full size M&P with the FSS trigger and non night sights.

Blstr88
06-28-16, 01:12
Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like it would at least be worth it for me to check out.

Im certainly not planning to fully replace my Shield for CCW, in warmer months with a light T-shirt on it's hard to beat the conceal-ability of that single stack 9...but I live up in NH where it's very common to at least be wearing a heavy wool shirt/sweat shirt...often a full on winter coat. In those situations where it's easy to carry anything I want to have a similar setup as my Shield with + ammo capacity.

Thanks again for the info, I think I'll search around and pick one up to give a go.

JC5188
06-28-16, 05:41
I carry a 40c and love it. My favorite carry gun. I don't know how it compares to the 9c, but the trigger in mine is very good for a box-stock striker gun. Very sharp, audible click when it breaks.

It can be finicky about ammo however, so I stick with gold dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfer
06-30-16, 19:45
My M&PC came with a reasonable trigger, as good as a Glock. I can't attest to other trigger pulls but it was not bad. I did change out to an Apex and have been very happy with it.
As far as shootability it shot 11/2" 25 yard 3 shot groups with my 146 gr. handload right out of the box. I plan to work on some 10 shot groups soon to see what it can do.
You will be very happy with the M&PC, mine is 9mm.

nova3930
06-30-16, 20:35
an mp9c was my first ccw. good pistol with the caveat that there are other pistols a little more size efficient for the same capacity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mattpittinger
07-01-16, 03:14
I've carried and shot M&Ps for quite some time. FS on the range and C for carry.
A while back I started running my full size slide on my compact frame, and I'm never going back. If bees had knees they would be made of that set up.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160701/f92ba0f40ade932171b6612c22367eb1.jpg
I ran factory triggers, found if you just shoot the crap out of them they get very good.
Ameriglo pro dots.
Compact mag in the gun, full size spare.
Please ignore stippling, that was a first attempt at it 4 or 5 years ago.

JC5188
07-01-16, 05:17
I've carried and shot M&Ps for quite some time. FS on the range and C for carry.
A while back I started running my full size slide on my compact frame, and I'm never going back. If bees had knees they would be made of that set up.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160701/f92ba0f40ade932171b6612c22367eb1.jpg
I ran factory triggers, found if you just shoot the crap out of them they get very good.
Ameriglo pro dots.
Compact mag in the gun, full size spare.
Please ignore stippling, that was a first attempt at it 4 or 5 years ago.

You know, re: the trigger, that's a great point. I dry fire the SHIT out of mine...like everyday kinda shit. If I'm watching tv, I'm df, so a couple hours a day. The trigger on mine has vastly improved over time.

mattpittinger
07-01-16, 05:18
Practice makes the best polish

cfoecke
07-01-16, 06:09
If the trigger is the only thing your worried about I was told by a S&W tech I know that all of this years guns come with the same triggers as the pros.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

JC5188
07-01-16, 07:08
Practice makes the best polish

True dat...

Big L.E.E.
07-01-16, 07:11
I've been carrying a 9c for years. Once I added a Apex DCAEK kit, it became my favorite carry piece. I had a Shield for a while, but sold it. I didn't find the Shield to be that much more concealable than the 9C, and found the grip a little to thin on the Shield for comfortable shooting.

Blstr88
07-01-16, 09:55
I wouldnt say Im worried about the trigger...just wanted to get some info from guys who own them. I know how online forums can be...Ive read plenty about how terrible triggers are on forums only to find they work perfectly fine for my needs (my HK USPs in particular). However there does seem to be an abundance of M&P Trigger woes.

Im sure it'll be just fine for me, and it seems the Apex kits are an easy fix if I find I dont like it.

I'm going to shop around and pick one up in the coming days. Now I'll just need a holster...I've got one of Al Latours custom IWB holsters being made right now for the Shield so if I like that I may get a second one for the M&P compact...seems to be nothing but good reviews from those holsters.

MegademiC
07-01-16, 12:35
The biggest complaints I read about with the triggers is reset, or lack of. Mine is extremely difficult to feel. I take my finger off the trigger every shot so it's irrelevant. I never understood how it impacts ones shooting.

Mine has gotten much smoother over time, but I also practice dry fire ing by smashing the trigger to the rear, so I don't notice the take up or break.

If you don't want to torque the gun while shooting .2 sec splits, you need to practice like youre shooting .2 sec splits. I'm not a geat shooter, but that's my reasoning for not caring about triggers, unless it's so heavy it's slowing you down. I'd have to get a heavy trigger and timer to see at what point the wheels fall off.

Jake D
07-01-16, 13:16
I'm a big M&P fan. I have a full size M&P 9, a Shield 9, I bought my wife a Shield 9, and my dad bought a Shield 9 on my recommendation. I personally feel that the Shield is the best single stack 9mm ccw pistol out there right now. That all being said if I was going to carry something larger it would be the Sig P320 compact. I rented one at the range a couple of weeks back and was amazed by it. Every bit as good if not better ergonomics as the M&P, points great, accurate, and the trigger is out of the box better than any of my M&Ps or my Glock 19.

carbine357
07-07-16, 17:49
don't remember asking you

since I have been carrying a gun for 40 or so years didn't think I had to check with someone on a gun board. why dont u dial it down a little and be more polite. it may not be for u. I hate Glocks and don't shoot them well. not for me but I don't disrespect the 1,000's that stake their lives in them. seems u are out in the cold by yourself. l.o.l.

carbine357

Blstr88
07-07-16, 18:03
don't remember asking you

since I have been carrying a gun for 40 or so years didn't think I had to check with someone on a gun board. why dont u dial it down a little and be more polite. it may not be for u. I hate Glocks and don't shoot them well. not for me but I don't disrespect the 1,000's that stake their lives in them. seems u are out in the cold by yourself. l.o.l.

carbine357

....?

WickedWillis
07-07-16, 18:08
....?

I can guarantee that was in response to my post on page 1, but the gentleman doesn't know how to use the quote system.

Skunk Pilot
08-27-16, 12:31
I purchased 2 NIB Shield 9's about 16 months ago. Both of the triggers were horrible, I mean very bad. My first M&P was the 9L which I had to get the newer sear so I could install the Apex Tactical FSS & Trigger kit ( pre-ordered and took a chance ). The Apex FSS was VERY good. I've owned 3-4 M&P9 FS's and 3 M&P9C's ( One point owned a G23 Gen3 with factory 3.5 lb. trigger job like 10 yrs ago IIRC ).

I got the Shield 9 so I would have a lighter more concealable gun. Problem is I have major neck and back problems ( 3 hr. routine after I wake up so I can somewhat function for the day ). I liked the Shield initially at the 4 o'clock position. Turns out it really started hurting my lower back more, even after cranking up my TENS unit. So I had to start carrying it at 6 o'clock. Which I do not like, but it's what I need to work with for now ( looking into Appendix carry ). I decided that if I am going to carry behind my back then I might as well carry the 9C and have more rounds and get 4-5 FS 17 round mags with the X-Grip. So that's what I did.
I had a 3 yr. old M&P9C with Apex DCAEK and polymer trigger. I got 2 NIB M&P9C's last October '15 or so. The triggers on both were MUCH improved. On a 2012 M&P9 FS I did the Dan Burwell trigger job (downloaded PDF doc many years ago). It turned out fantastic, well except for the over-travel and pre-travel, but that's where Apex Tactical comes in. I got a brand new M&P9 FS in June '16 and did a blind test with the triggers. My older FS ( that I worked on ) was just a little bit better, the newest M&P9 FS was MUCH improved, it was hard for me to tell, which says A LOT.

I am happy with the M&P9C that I carry (just put on night sights at LGS where got new FS and had night sights put on that too). However, 6 weeks ago for 3 weeks I was seriously looking into pocket pistols since it would be nice to wear certain items of clothing and still have at least a handgun on me. I'll probably just get a true pocket pistol eventually instead of a Walther PPS M2 or Shield again. Well I may just get the Shield because it's an M&P and it Always cycled my reloaded 2.5gr TiteGroup with 147gr bullets with the stock guide rod and spring ( which surprised me ). The pocket pistol will probably be a very, very small 9mm or more likely .380. With the 380 I'll just have to use wussy recoil rounds so I can actually practice with the damn thing ( or want to because of my neck ).

With Active Shooters and/or Terrorists I opted for the extra capacity. I carry a spare 12 round in my TENS unit belt holder which works good. I should look into a mag pouch for a FS 17rd mag, but with the TENS unit and cell phone on my belt ( the 6" phone is very, very cumbersome with a handgun (positioned anywhere) and a TENS unit, my smaller 4.5"-4.6" is still a PITA while carrying ).

Norman
08-27-16, 17:58
I’ve had a 9c for 4 years, no problems what so ever. The factory trigger is comparable to a 5.5lb Glock but with a slightly longer and less positive re-set. Still very shoot-able.

GMMillwright
08-28-16, 05:51
Happy with my 9c. Only mods to date are Tru-Glo TFX sights. Carry IWB in a Comp-Tac Minatour.

YukonGlocker
08-28-16, 10:09
I've been carrying both the fullsize and compact since they first came out. Over time I learned that I had no practical use for the compact. IWB/OWB, the fullsize carries just as well...better actually because the barrel length keeps the grip from tilting out. If I can conceal the compact, the fullsize is just as concealable whatever the situation. If I need something smaller than the fullsize, I need something smaller than the compact as well. So, although my M&P compacts were functionally great pistols, I've sold them all and either carry the fullsize or something smaller (e.g., Shield/G43). If you don't like the trigger, they are rather easy to smooth up or otherwise change parts out. I really, really like the M&P pistols...get the trigger where you like it, and put some good sights on it (I prefer the 10-8 rear with green fiber optic front) and it's a great machine.

multistage
08-29-16, 22:37
Pretty popular gun. Inexpensive, reliable, accurate.