PDA

View Full Version : Troy vs. A.R.M.S. buis

mattjmcd
08-30-08, 14:24
I currently use a Troy folder on one of my rifles. I've been pretty happy with it. For a new upper I was considering trying the A.R.M.S. unit. Any major issues to be aware of? I've heard some less than flattering reviews of some of the offerings from A.R.M.S. but the sight appears to be good kit. I *think* I like the idea of the spring.

What say you? Go or no-go?

Thanks.

Broadway
08-30-08, 14:47
Troy - if is ain't broke don't fix it. Same reason Larue and Noveske use them. A.R.M.S. rep for soft metal in their levers has gone on for years. That's why they break under normal use where Larue's can't be beat off with a hammer.

ballsout
08-30-08, 15:32
I currently use a Troy folder on one of my rifles. I've been pretty happy with it. For a new upper I was considering trying the A.R.M.S. unit. Any major issues to be aware of? I've heard some less than flattering reviews of some of the offerings from A.R.M.S. but the sight appears to be good kit. I *think* I like the idea of the spring.

Thanks.

remember the more features (i.e. "a spring") the more that can go wrong.

jhs1969
08-30-08, 19:27
I've used both and currently run the Troy. I don't really recall any negatives on the ARMS I just feel the Troy's are a stronger unit.

RD62
08-30-08, 20:02
I ran an original ARMS #40 for years with no issues. I even used it for a good while only running irons.

I recently built a MK18 type SBR with LMT fixed back-up sight. I liked the LMT and in an effort to maintain commonality between my SBR and 16" gun, sold the ARMS on the 16 and replaced it with a fixed LMT.

Were I to buy a new folding BUIS, it would probably be the one MagPul is working one when it gets released or the Troy, if I went with another ARMS it would be the lo-pro.

I really don't see the spring in the ARMS as any issue. If your running an optic it'll more than likely be stowed the majority of the time. If irons only it'll be up most of the time. I didn't have a lot of back and forth.

-RD62

Edited to add: I also like how the ARMS mounts to the rear most part of the rail, above the charging handle. Just an aesthetics thing.

Boltgun
08-30-08, 20:43
I don't mind either sight. I perfer a sollid rear BUIS (larue/LMT) but if you are going to go with a flip up you won't go wrong with either. Out of the two mentioned, I would go with the Troy as I prefer a solid lock up with the sight deployed but the ARMS will spring back up if knocked...not like the older GG&G MAD sights.

Boltgun

Bushytale
08-30-08, 22:29
The GG&G sights are good as are the MI and ARMS, but Troy is considered the best for a reason. ;)

Cold Zero
08-30-08, 23:12
I have owned and used both for several years. The ARMS 40 does not lock in the up position, the Troy does.

The Troy is more robustly built and is the way to go without a doubt. M.H.O.

DHC45
08-31-08, 00:22
I ran an original ARMS #40 for years with no issues. I even used it for a good while only running irons.

I recently built a MK18 type SBR with LMT fixed back-up sight. I liked the LMT and in an effort to maintain commonality between my SBR and 16" gun, sold the ARMS on the 16 and replaced it with a fixed LMT.

Were I to buy a new folding BUIS, it would probably be the one MagPul is working one when it gets released or the Troy, if I went with another ARMS it would be the lo-pro.
I really don't see the spring in the ARMS as any issue. If your running an optic it'll more than likely be stowed the majority of the time. If irons only it'll be up most of the time. I didn't have a lot of back and forth.

-RD62

Edited to add: I also like how the ARMS mounts to the rear most part of the rail, above the charging handle. Just an aesthetics thing.

Agree 100%. I am a fan of the spring-loaded BIUS. Was at a carbine competition and turned on my optic awaiting the buzzer... "shooter ready?!?!" I nodded... *BEEEEEP* Rifle came up, no dot... battery dead... (Way before advertised time for the optic.) No worries, a flick of the thumb had my ARMS #40 in play in less than a second without having to really change my shooting hand grip. Not my best time (too much 'dot' shooting, not enoug irons practice) but still not bad.

Parabellum9x19mm
08-31-08, 00:41
i used the ARMS 40L on one build, where i needed a little extra clearance for a large optic.

other than that, i like Troy

BC520
08-31-08, 02:11
If you are in a climate where you need to wear heavier gloves in the winter, it can be difficult to work the lever with them on.

I also prefer my sight to be ready to go with the large aperature. ARMS 40L has the small one come up first. Not good if you're in a fight and the threat is close.

Eye Spy
08-31-08, 02:36
I have both ... never had problems with either ... both are solid in their construction ... it's a personal preference thing IMO.

Robb Jensen
08-31-08, 08:55

Thanks.

The only other BUIS I would use other than a TROY is a Midwest Industries SPLP if you want very low profile, if you don't want/need very low profile the Midwest Industries ERS. Both are very well made sights.

ST911
08-31-08, 09:59
ARMS:Troy :: DPMS:Colt

Paulinski
08-31-08, 10:26
I had an ARMS 40 - now I only use Troy and ARMS is long gone.

C-Fish
08-31-08, 15:33
The only other BUIS I would use other than a TROY is a Midwest Industries SPLP if you want very low profile, if you don't want/need very low profile the Midwest Industries ERS. Both are very well made sights.

Agreed, I just installed a MI SPLP on my reworked 14.5 and it is perfect... I had been using a chopped carry handle but needed a smaller sight (length wise) due to the addition of a CASV-EL. I looked at Troy, ARMS and liked the MI best, local shop gave me a brake on it as well (marked $135, I got it for $100). :D

Solid
08-31-08, 16:55
The benefit to springed like in the ARMS is that it is pretty difficult to rip the sight off the base. Rather than resist movement like a locking sight this one can be pushed back. It immediately returns perfectly once nothing is pressing on it.

Deploying it is nice since it can be done one handed with a simple flip of a level.