PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon HD Night SIghts Review: My favorite Carry Sights

ExplorinInTheWoods
06-27-16, 20:23
So most of us have used or own a pistol with some night sights and most people will agree that they should be a must have on a carry, home defense, duty, or fighting pistol. Up until a year ago my night sight experience had just been with the standard 3 dot sights then my dad as a gift gave a done up glock 19 with HD night sights. These sights still retain the tritium rears and front but they have put a new spin on them. The most glaring difference is the blacked out U notch rear sights, the tritium vials have been blacked out for daytime shooting but glow in low light conditions. Some shooters complain that lining up the 3 dots can be confusing or take to long and hinder front sight shooting. The large U allows for quick acquisition of targets but does not sacrifice accuracy as much as one would think. With practice you can still make accurate center mass hits at 25 yds. The rear sights have also been serrated to reduce glare. These rear sights also have a shelf that allows you do rack the slide on a shoe, belt, or a table. These sights also sport a large front sight with luminescent paint around the front vial in either neon orange or yellow. This paint can be charged with a light and be even brighter in low light conditions. Overall I really enjoy these sights and recommend them to anyone wanting to try some new sights.

http://youtu.be/-Pe1vWHRzXQ

bad aim
06-28-16, 08:40
I love my HD's on my PPQ.

For my uses, such as a CCW firearm, it's perfect. The orange is fast to pick up and the tritium is a nice touch. However, I do find the front post to be a bit wider than my liking when I'm trying to be more precise on the square range.

But hey, you can't have everything in life. ;)

CAFGU
06-28-16, 08:58
Love them too, fast front sight acquisition

MStarmer
06-28-16, 11:56
I love em too, just not the price. I usually concede and end up with Ameriglo Hack's on most of my guns, tritium in the back isn't a huge deal breaker to me. $140-$160 vs. $62 is a more reasonable price point for me.

WickedWillis
06-28-16, 13:14
I think they are incredible sights. I have a set of the Orange on my Glock 19 Gen 4. My only complaint is the rear sight is very sharp, and I have cut myself, and cut through a beater on more than one occasion doing speed draws from concealment. Other than that, they are amazing.

I love em too, just not the price. I usually concede and end up with Ameriglo Hack's on most of my guns, tritium in the back isn't a huge deal breaker to me. $140-$160 vs. $62 is a more reasonable price point for me.

I agree with this as well, you pay a pretty penny for them.

MStarmer
06-28-16, 14:14
I have them on my 320 and PPQ, I concur on the sharp point. I don't notice it as much on the 320 but on my PPQ with the triangle slide they definitely can bite you if you're not careful. That's one the reasons I don't edc my PPQ anymore due to shooting a few fun shoots with "cold starts" and not being able to manipulate the slide as well as I can on a more traditional design.

nova3930
06-28-16, 14:36
I agree with this as well, you pay a pretty penny for them.

I'll add a third. I looked at them on a friend's gun and liked them, but I didn't like em $80 more than the Hackathorns. Just wasn't enough difference between the subdued rear on the Trijicons vs plain black on the Ameriglos for me.

MStarmer
06-28-16, 14:46
Hard to beat optics planets price with a coupon code and free shipping. Sight picture is still fantastic;
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/mstarmer/20160131-DSC_2072-2.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/mstarmer/media/20160131-DSC_2072-2.jpg.html)

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/mstarmer/20140930-DSC_1982-2.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/mstarmer/media/20140930-DSC_1982-2.jpg.html)

Warp
06-28-16, 14:50
I love the Trijicon HD's. I don't buy any other night sights now and have even purchased HD's to replace existing Ameriglo Pro Operator sights on a couple carry guns. I prefer the yellow/green front.

My favorite is a pair with yellow front paint, green front tritium and yellow rear tritium, for Glock 9/40 pistols. I only have one set of those, finding them in stock is a PITA

WickedWillis
06-28-16, 14:55
I love the Trijicon HD's. I don't buy any other night sights now and have even purchased HD's to replace existing Ameriglo Pro Operator sights on a couple carry guns. I prefer the yellow/green front.

My favorite is a pair with yellow front paint, green front tritium and yellow rear tritium, for Glock 9/40 pistols. I only have one set of those, finding them in stock is a PITA

Those Ameriglo Spartans are a direct competitor to the HD's, with a rounded rear and no U-notch. Not a bad idea, very comparable in price though.

http://ameriglo.com/collections/glock/products/glock-spartan-operator-sets

bad aim
06-28-16, 15:30
My only complaint is the rear sight is very sharp

Yep, that's no lie. I swear Trijicon sharpens them at the factory. On the bright side, it's a fantastic last-ditch weapon if you run out of ammo. :)

Flankenstein
06-28-16, 15:40
Love them. Haven't experienced any of the "sharpness" problems many complain of.

Dennis
06-28-16, 19:22
Yep, that's no lie. I swear Trijicon sharpens them at the factory. On the bright side, it's a fantastic last-ditch weapon if you run out of ammo. :)
These are perfect carry sights except for the rear angled sharp rear sight. Depending on your weapon, holster angle, cover garment, and specific build it can take chunks out of your arm and shirt. I tried to love them but couldn't...

I switched over most all my carry/duty pistols to 10-8 sights with a similar U notch but thinner blade for easier accuracy.

Dennis.

Ron3
06-28-16, 19:55
Glad you like them.

I don't. Front sight is too wide and less precise at longer ranges for me. (Beyond 15 yds) I'd never have different colored fronts and rears. Instantly annoying.

I like a bright, thinnish front sight (white, or lime/green) and medium width black rear sight. (.115-.125 front and a .130-.140 rear for 3.5-4 inch barrel pistol)

The theory that works for me has been:

5 yds not looking at sights, up to 15-20 yds, need a bright front sight, rears don't matter much but should not draw my attention off the front sight. Beyond that I want sights that offer fine precision.

Warp
06-28-16, 19:58
Glad you like them.

I don't. Front sight is too wide and less precise at longer ranges for me. (Beyond 15 yds) I'd never have different colored fronts and rears. Instantly annoying.

I like a bright, thinnish front sight (white, or lime/green) and medium width black rear sight. (.115-.125 front and a .130-.140 rear for 3.5-4 inch barrel pistol)

What do you mean about different colored front and rear? Daytime the rear sight is just a plain matte black and the front sight is whichever color you selected. Most of the sets are all green tritium and I'm betting that all pistols they make the sights for can be had with all green tritium.

I'm quite new to shooting at 25 yards (used to do like one or two mags once every six months) and I shot this with my G19 using Trijicon HD's. The flyer was of course completely on me

http://i.imgur.com/RvFOugg.jpg

Uprange41
06-28-16, 22:55
I tried HD's for a second time recently, and for a second time, decided I just don't need or want night sights. But, they're the only ones I'd use if I were to stick with them. They're just the perfect night sights, IMO.

Kenneth
06-29-16, 09:38
I have them in my M&P and I like them. The front tritium went dead right away though. They were installed by a very reputable dealer here so I don't know that it was installation error. I have a light mounted on that gun and when using the light you don't need night sights. The ambient light is enough to get a good sight picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bear13
06-29-16, 12:15
I had hd sights on my vp9. Loved them. My talo g43 has similar sights on it. Ameriglo I believe.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160629/7eb854a05f01ed63b1c81a949d0128ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGTMAJ
06-29-16, 12:39
No sharpness but boy are they much better than my original Trijicons on my Glock

Ron3
06-30-16, 14:22
What do you mean about different colored front and rear? Daytime the rear sight is just a plain matte black and the front sight is whichever color you selected.]

That sounds fine. I've seen several sets in person and they were different colors. I suppose those were pieced together by the owners/installer.

ColtSeavers
06-30-16, 15:39
That sounds fine. I've seen several sets in person and they were different colors. I suppose those were pieced together by the owners/installer.

Are you talking about the seals around the rear sight's vials and the glow in the dark stuff around the front vial or the actual vials? Trijicon allows you to choose different colored tritium vials combinations (green, yellow and orange), but I do not believe they allow you a choice in seal colors other than their factory offerings (black for rear sight and whatever color you choose for the front sight).

Warp
06-30-16, 16:00
Are you talking about the seals around the rear sight's vials and the glow in the dark stuff around the front vial or the actual vials? Trijicon allows you to choose different colored tritium vials combinations (green, yellow and orange), but I do not believe they allow you a choice in seal colors other than their factory offerings (black for rear sight and whatever color you choose for the front sight).

Yeah...the factory Trij HD night sights are all matte black rear sights, green tritium front, and either the yelow/green or the orange front paint. Rear tritium can be green (typical) or yellow (hard to find IME). Not a lot of options really

I actually own three different factory setups now. Green front paint with all green tritium, orange front paint with all green tritium, and green front paint with yellow rear tritium (the last is my preference but hard to find). I only have one orange and would rather it be green, I might look for somebody who did the opposite and try for a front sight trade or something at some point lol

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-18-16, 22:23
there are a lot of different options out there, its nice so you get to figure out what you like