PDA

View Full Version : Active Shooter at Joint Base Andrews

BBossman
06-30-16, 08:44
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Joint-Base-Andrews-Under-Lockdown-385027091.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DCBrand

Unconfirmed right now...

"Joint Base Andrews in Maryland has been placed on lockdown following a report of an active shooter.
The base was placed on lockdown just after 9 a.m. Thursday..."

Sam
06-30-16, 08:51
Also unconfirmed is that there is some kind of training activity going on at the base. Someone might have confused the training for the real thing.

austinN4
06-30-16, 08:52
Someone might have confused the training for the real thing.

Hope so.

Sam
06-30-16, 08:56
The media are having an orgy trying to talk about a confused situation.

platoonDaddy
06-30-16, 09:01
WMAL (local DC) is only covering the AG meet with Clinton

EDIT: just a short brief on the lock-down

austinN4
06-30-16, 09:06
Joint Base Andrews confirmed to News4 that it had planned an active shooter exercise for 9 a.m. this morning.

However, at the same time as the exercise, first responders received reports of an "real-world active shooter situation" at the medical facility. The base says it investigating the incident as an ongoing active shooter situation.

ColtSeavers
06-30-16, 09:13
SNAFU

BBossman
06-30-16, 09:20
SNAFU

Crazy Joe is scheduled to fly out of Andrews today. Maybe its a ploy to keep him home and outta sight while they spin the Free Willie/AG Lynchgate.

Sam
06-30-16, 09:42
It's all over, false alarm.

Vandal
06-30-16, 09:57
Someone probably heard a door slam shut and freaked out.

Nevermind, my cynicism got the best of me. It's being reported someone saw people walking on base with long guns called it in.

Alex V
06-30-16, 10:12

Nevermind, my cynicism got the best of me. It's being reported someone saw people walking on base with long guns called it in.

Okay, this may be because I am not Mil but let me get this straight... Someone, on a military base, saw someone with a weapon and freaked out? That would be like calling the cops from an orgy and complaining about an indecent exposure incident.

Vandal
06-30-16, 10:22
Alex, there are a lot of people in the military who haven't touched a gun since basic training and have no intention of doing it again. I personally have friends who are in the Air Force as officers who I don't trust with firearms without very close supervision. Remember, they are on base and protected by people with access to real assault rifles and machine guns for defense. Most, especially in the medical field, go to work, go home rinse and repeat. They only remember they are military because of the uniform, benefits, retirement and occasionally calling someone by their rank. Very, very few military personnel are door kickers. Most are in a support role in their offices doing drone work. There are also a ton of civilians on base who likely skipped over the notification email.

Here is the update from NBC4 Washington. Report at JBA Called Unfounded (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Joint-Base-Andrews-Under-Lockdown-385027091.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DCBrand)

austinN4
06-30-16, 10:24
Okay, this may be because I am not Mil but let me get this straight... Someone, on a military base, saw someone with a weapon and freaked out? That would be like calling the cops from an orgy and complaining about an indecent exposure incident.

Most troops don't carry on base. Remember Ft. Hood? That said, since there was an armed exercise scheduled for that day..........

BBossman
06-30-16, 10:35

JB Andrews is chock full of civilian employees. Its a far cry from the days in the 50's and 60's when you could hear sonic booms from fighter jets over Prince Georges County.

Rayrevolver
06-30-16, 10:51
SNAFU

Reminds me of a crashed USAF drone that was recovered by the Army. Part of the wing was hanging in the CTF and was signed: You can't spell SNAFU without the USAF.:p

No one was hurt, right? That is a good thing.

Alex V
06-30-16, 11:13
Alex, there are a lot of people in the military who haven't touched a gun since basic training and have no intention of doing it again. I personally have friends who are in the Air Force as officers who I don't trust with firearms without very close supervision. Remember, they are on base and protected by people with access to real assault rifles and machine guns for defense. Most, especially in the medical field, go to work, go home rinse and repeat. They only remember they are military because of the uniform, benefits, retirement and occasionally calling someone by their rank. Very, very few military personnel are door kickers. Most are in a support role in their offices doing drone work. There are also a ton of civilians on base who likely skipped over the notification email.

Most troops don't carry on base. Remember Ft. Hood? That said, since there was an armed exercise scheduled for that day..........

JB Andrews is chock full of civilian employees. Its a far cry from the days in the 50's and 60's when you could hear sonic booms from fighter jets over Prince Georges County.

That's fair enough. I suppose most civilians would freak at the site of armed military personnel. Yes, I would image there be some notification about this going out to people who work on the base. Maybe Im desensitized but if I was working on a military installation and saw guys in uniform walking with firearms, I would not be calling the cops.

Sam
06-30-16, 11:24
Alex, there are a lot of people in the military who haven't touched a gun since basic training and have no intention of doing it again. I personally have friends who are in the Air Force as officers who I don't trust with firearms without very close supervision. Remember, they are on base and protected by people with access to real assault rifles and machine guns for defense. Most, especially in the medical field, go to work, go home rinse and repeat. They only remember they are military because of the uniform, benefits, retirement and occasionally calling someone by their rank. Very, very few military personnel are door kickers. Most are in a support role in their offices doing drone work.
[/URL]

What he said is right. A friend of mine from college, majored in the same electrical engineering degree as I was, took many of the same classes. He joined the NAVY and was assigned to the Pentagon. He didn't even have to wear a uniform.

I went to work for the DOD in an air force base, working side by side with air force officers who were also engineers. Most of them wouldn't know which end of a gun to point at a bad guy. They were engineers wearing air force uniforms. The security at the gate carried handguns (Berettas) but did not have magazines inserted. This was 30 years ago though, they might have been given some boolits by now.

Oh I remember a good one, a female guard carried a Smith & Wesson revolver but I didn't see any speedloader pouches, she had a double flap magazine pouch.

Arik
06-30-16, 11:27

You say that as a joke but it happened at a local community college around here right after Sandy Hook. Someone had a long black umbrella and some else called it in as a rifle

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Alex V
06-30-16, 12:18
You say that as a joke but it happened at a local community college around here right after Sandy Hook. Someone had a long black umbrella and some else called it in as a rifle

Reminds me of this meme:
http://www.pagunblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/NuttyPeople.jpg

Not sure if its true, but I can believe it.

Edit:

Also this: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-campus-lockdown-umbrella-article-1.1911630

"A California college campus was put on lockdown after a man carrying an umbrella was mistaken for waving around a rifle."

Firefly
06-30-16, 12:30
Man, how the world has gone to hell.

I remember being a kid and taking to guns to school to play with at recess and absolutely no one cared.

These days some SWAT "sniper" would bust my 8 y/o head like a grape.

I ask, what happened here?

Arik
06-30-16, 12:35
Reminds me of this meme:

Edit:

Also this: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-campus-lockdown-umbrella-article-1.1911630

"A California college campus was put on lockdown after a man carrying an umbrella was mistaken for waving around a rifle."
Well I guess we're not the only college with an umbrella problem

Digital_Damage
06-30-16, 12:41
Reminds me of this meme:
http://www.pagunblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/NuttyPeople.jpg

Edit:

would have told her she needed to do it ASAP, before I take it of the hood and use it....

to change a tire.

BBossman
06-30-16, 12:53

I remember being a kid and taking to guns to school to play with at recess and absolutely no one cared.

Conditioning...

Last summer my local county police were called to a residential neighborhood for a suspicious vehicle. It was described as an old military vehicle with a machine gun on top and a flag on the antenna... a flag with a snake on it. Turned out to be a restored M38 with a fake M2 and a Gadsden flag. A Korean War vet owned it for more than a decade and lived in the same house for 3 decades.

See something, say something...

brushy bill
06-30-16, 13:08
The security at the gate carried handguns (Berettas) but did not have magazines inserted. This was 30 years ago though, they might have been given some boolits by now.

Current protocol for USAF Security Forces is magazine inserted in magazine well, round chambered, safety off.

Not sure on other services. Army was no magazine and empty magazine well last time I knew.

austinN4
06-30-16, 14:06
Turned out to be a restored M38 with a fake M2 and a Gadsden flag. A Korean War vet owned it for more than a decade and lived in the same house for 3 decades.

GET OFF MY LAWN! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0

Firefly
06-30-16, 15:44
Old dudes who restore old Army vehicles are automatically cool.

Mr. Helper should've gotten a ticket for misuse of 911

Koshinn
06-30-16, 18:39
Current protocol for USAF Security Forces is magazine inserted in magazine well, round chambered, safety off.

Not sure on other services. Army was no magazine and empty magazine well last time I knew.

Hammer down for that double-action though.

AFAIK that's the condition all USAF personnel armed with an M9 holster it in. Which sucked in a joint environment because every Army SNCO shouts at you about your safety being off.

SeriousStudent
06-30-16, 19:36
I'm delighted there was not a real active shooter.

The hot wash from this should be interesting. I hope there's a lot of useful data the security forces gain from this.

JoshNC
06-30-16, 19:55
While this was a false alarm, it is abhorrent that our military bases, recruiting centers, etc have become de facto gun free zones. I have to ask if this would (could) ever happen in Israel where soldiers are armed and ready to fight at their military installations.

Moose-Knuckle
07-01-16, 05:10

I don't know, when I was in Jr. High I watched on the TV as Federal troops killed Americans in Waco.

We've been ****ed up for a long, long time . . .

Moose-Knuckle
07-01-16, 05:12
Conditioning...

Last summer my local county police were called to a residential neighborhood for a suspicious vehicle. It was described as an old military vehicle with a machine gun on top and a flag on the antenna... a flag with a snake on it. Turned out to be a restored M38 with a fake M2 and a Gadsden flag. A Korean War vet owned it for more than a decade and lived in the same house for 3 decades.

See something, say something...

Unless of course it concerns a muslim(s): Boston, San Bernardino, Orlando, . . .