PDA

View Full Version : Which hammer with ramped bolt (9mm)?

Paulinski
08-31-08, 07:39
I'm currently running RRA 9mm with RRA non-ramped bolt.

I plan to get my bolt ramped and I'm wondering which hammer I should be using with the ramped bolt?

Thanks in advance

Paul

vinesr6
08-31-08, 10:50
Colt style or the DPMS hammer.

Paulinski
08-31-08, 10:54
Another question.

I understand that RRA 9mm hammer will not work with ramped bolt but I'm confused why?

Is the 9mm hammer and unramped bolt hard on hammer pin as opposed to standard hammer and ramped bolt?

vinesr6
08-31-08, 11:10
Another question.

I understand that RRA 9mm hammer will not work with ramped bolt but I'm confused why?

Because the notch on the semi auto hammer (RRA style) is meant to catch the notch on an un-ramped bolt.
Is the 9mm hammer and unramped bolt hard on hammer pin as opposed to standard hammer and ramped bolt?

Ramping the bolt makes cocking easier, and puts less stress when cocked. Ramping the bolt may not be necessary but for a few bucks why not do it for smoother functioning.

Paulinski
08-31-08, 23:22
Thanks for the info.

So ramped bolt / AR-15 hammers and I should be good to go?

If not which hammer should I get? Colt?

vinesr6
09-01-08, 10:23
Ramped bolt = COLT or DPMS style (smooth face w/o the notch).

I got my modified (tail piece removed) Colt hammer from M60Joe.

Plinkster
09-18-08, 00:47
[QUOTE=Paulinski;211948]Another question.

I'm a newbie so take it for what it's worth, but after I got my bolt ramped, just for S&Gs I tried the stock RRA hammer and it appeared that the square notch on the top, front of the hammer would catch on the groove that is machined into the bolt (and is still exposed after ramping) and not allow the bolt to go back into battery. I had to remove the lower to get it unstuck. You can't even pivot it open because the bolt is still part way into the stock.

Jeff