PDA

View Full Version : Dead Air muzzle break vs. flash hider

eo500
07-01-16, 16:38
I have a Dead Air Sandman S in NFA jail, but am trying to set up some rifles and a pistol for when it comes in. My question is should I fit my uppers with flash hiders or muzzle breaks? I plan on using the suppressor most of the time, but not always. It will be for a 16" 5.56, 10.5" 5.56, and an 8.5" 300BLK.

I know that the break will be louder when unsuppressed, but is there a difference in sound when suppressed?

Also, how much difference is there in longevity when using a flash hider vs. the break? The Dead Air breaks are supposed to be really good, and the three-pronged flash hider is also "tuned" to eliminate ping. Any help is appreciated.

jackblack73
07-01-16, 20:54
I'll be interested in hearing the responses to this thread. I'm in a similar situation as you. I have an Omega in jail (would have gotten a Sandman S but the Omega was just sitting in my FFL's display case) with a 16" 5.56, 11.5" 5.56, and 9" 300BLK. I decided to go with flash hiders because, with only one can, they'll obviously still be shot plenty unsuppressed. And I figured I don't shoot often enough to worry about the additional wear from a flash hider to a brake.

BigWaylon
07-01-16, 21:19
You're not really going to notice any difference in sound with the suppressor. The masses will tell you the brake will act as a sacrificial baffle. Probably does...but I don't shoot enough (and have enough hosts/cans to spread the pain) for it to matter. I prefer FHs on mine, so that's what they all have. Doesn't matter if it's 10", 20", or anywhere in between...or caliber.

nml
07-01-16, 21:26
Longevity should not be an issue without automatic fire, very short barrels, and or tens of thousands of rounds down range. I don't know what dead air testing revealed but that is how tough they made the blast baffle sound.

I would make your choice on how you want the gun to behave unsuppressed. It is a hell of a brake and you want to treat it as such.

wigbones
07-01-16, 22:44
I had a similar situation where I needed 3 suppressor mounts. I eventually decided on a flash hider for the 16" and 12.5", and a brake for the 14.5".

ffhounddog
07-02-16, 00:04
I use a Flash Hider on all my 5.56 with the Sandman-S. PWS 7.75 and a 10.5 LMT. I am debating on also doing the same to my LWCRi M6A2 10.5. It currently sports a Gemtech G5 PWS Triad mount.

wahoo95
07-02-16, 06:32
I wear ear pro when I'm shooting so I went with a brake.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BufordTJustice
07-02-16, 15:50
For my Saker 762, i run a flash hider on my 18" and a brake on my 11.5". The shorty wears the can virtually all the time.

NWS
07-02-16, 16:09
Flash hider on the 5.56 11.5". All 5.56s I will use flash hiders. I will save the brake for a 300 blackout just to have a use for the included mount.

eo500
07-03-16, 21:25
Thanks for all of the input, I think I'm going to go with the flash hiders as long as my dealer is willing to swap out the included 7.62 brake. If not I guess the 300BLK will wear a brake.

TommyG
07-05-16, 15:02
Similar story - brake on my 30 cal bolt gun and 11.5 5.56, flash hiders (when I can find them) for 14.5 and 16 inch uppers.

jethroUSMC
07-05-16, 18:23
Muzzle brake = sacrificial blast baffle, not so much for a flash hider....The best flash hider is keeping the can on the firearm.

I have a Dead Air Sandman S in NFA jail, but am trying to set up some rifles and a pistol for when it comes in. My question is should I fit my uppers with flash hiders or muzzle breaks? I plan on using the suppressor most of the time, but not always. It will be for a 16" 5.56, 10.5" 5.56, and an 8.5" 300BLK.

I know that the break will be louder when unsuppressed, but is there a difference in sound when suppressed?

Also, how much difference is there in longevity when using a flash hider vs. the break? The Dead Air breaks are supposed to be really good, and the three-pronged flash hider is also "tuned" to eliminate ping. Any help is appreciated.

Dave_M
07-05-16, 19:00
Muzzle brake = sacrificial blast baffle, not so much for a flash hider....The best flash hider is keeping the can on the firearm.

I always see people saying that, but I have seen very little data to back it up aside from brakes tailor-made to act as a sacrificial baffle and not brakes in general. The evidence I've seen touted around consisted of photos of an eroded brake that ran inside a silencer. Of course, my flash hiders do the same thing.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but I'd like to see more data on it.

jethroUSMC
07-05-16, 21:07
DaveM,

Totally agree. I should have worded it as "supposed to". I'd like to see more data as well. Ultimately it's a personal choice. Since Dead Air uses Stellite like SilencerCo I'd have less concerns about any significant wear, again I'd like to see more data on Stellite vs. inconel also.

Honestly, my choice is an older one starting out with AAC and hating the tuning fork effect of their flash hiders, it doesn't bother everyone like it does me. But since owning several suppressors I just always stick with the brake as the default option. If I take a rifle out to shoot a suppressor is attached - muzzleloader excluded. When I go to a class I use a suppressor to avoid sending the cunsussive blast to other students.

I always see people saying that, but I have seen very little data to back it up aside from brakes tailor-made to act as a sacrificial baffle and not brakes in general. The evidence I've seen touted around consisted of photos of an eroded brake that ran inside a silencer. Of course, my flash hiders do the same thing.

TommyG
07-05-16, 22:28
Does anyone have a 5.56 flash hider in hand? If so where did you find it?

Righter13
07-06-16, 02:51
I don't have one in hand but DSG Arms usually has them in stock.

foxtrotx1
07-09-16, 20:58

I don't see how it coulndn't work. There are 3 pieces of extra metal slowing down unburnt powder and hot gasses before you get to your blast baffle. Whatever particles hit you 1rst baffle will either have lost energy (in the form of motion and heat) from hitting the others.

Think about it this way: The blast baffle always erodes more than the baffles in front of it? Why? it's sacrificial, just like a brake would be.

Have you guys ever seen the photos of suppressors with prong flash hiders after heavy round counts? The area where the prongs are show less wear.... http://i.imgur.com/uuuoa05.jpg