PDA

View Full Version : wal-mart won't sell ammo during "emergencys"

bullseye
08-31-08, 09:29
stopped at a local wal-mart [jackson,ms.] yesterday to get a few odds and ends to prepare for gustov, went to the sporting goods dept., was gonna pick up 500 rds. of "value pack" fmj to give to a guy i do a lot of work for, they said all the ammo is locked up in the back. "why??" i had to ask. seems wal-marts policy is to keep ammo from potential looters. i had to ask her with a straight face, "ma'am, can i ask your opinion of something?" sure, she said "ARE THESE SUM-BITCHES CRAZY, OR JUST ON DRUGS"???? what about law-abiding citizens ability to defend them-selves from these looters. "iknow, she said, i understand the order comes from federal officials. something like this is like a 3 foot high fire,,,,it really burns my ass. i'm sitting on 3k .556, 5k .45's, 6k 9mm's, 2k .40 s&w's, plus all my hunting gear and ammo, ,,but,,, if someone actually did really need some ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stupid -ass policy, ,,,,,,,,,,

ToddG
08-31-08, 09:34
i understand the order comes from federal officials.

I'd like to see that in writing. I'm not aware of any agency claiming to have such authority.

Just one more reason why you need to have enough ammo on hand before danger comes knocking ...

Safetyhit
08-31-08, 09:41
They could at least wait until the storm is in the immediate area. :rolleyes:

Very stupid and knee-jerk.

Abraxas
08-31-08, 09:43
I Fn hate walmart. It is the devil

RogerinTPA
08-31-08, 09:45
Echo what Todd said. I'm glad you were thoughtful enough to help out a friend, but if you live on the Gulf coast or SE US and not prepared, don't have a contingency (plan A&B) for natural disasters, then it's on you when you are caught unprepared. Being a Floridian, I have minimum 2 weeks of food, water, camping stove, several propane tanks for the grill, a few months of ammo and rotate the stock as depleted.

Just one more reason why you need to have enough ammo on hand before danger comes knocking ...

M4arc
08-31-08, 09:52
This is one, of many, reasons why I started buying my ammo at Dick's Sporting Goods. 100 rounds of UMC is the same as a WWB Value Pack and I don't have to put up with Wal-Mart's PC bullshit.

ST911
08-31-08, 09:57
I'd like to see that in writing. I'm not aware of any agency claiming to have such authority.

Agreed.

I have seen it in print for various places and industries as a best-practice for loss prevention during emergency/disaster. See also: electronics stores, pharmacies, etc.

Yup.

chadbag
08-31-08, 10:47
Wal-Mart -- just say no to Chinamart

Iraqgunz
08-31-08, 11:30
My wife was a dept. manager at WalMart for 7 years until we moved to AZ. She basically quit a few months early because of the constant BS that went on. There were alos some violent events that happened at her store and the management did nothing about it. They will also not sell ammo 72hrs. before July 4th or New Years because which is a L.A County ordinance. Apparently someone thinks that will stop those who fire into the air on those holidays.

Some of the stories that she would tell me were freakin' amazing. Definitely, not the same WalMart that was created by Sam Walton.

tinman44
08-31-08, 11:38
funny, i only shop at walmart during "emergencys"

Nathan_Bell
08-31-08, 11:41
My wife was a dept. manager at WalMart for 7 years until we moved to AZ. She basically quit a few months early because of the constant BS that went on. There were alos some violent events that happened at her store and the management did nothing about it. They will also not sell ammo 72hrs. before July 4th or New Years because which is a L.A County ordinance. Apparently someone thinks that will stop those who fire into the air on those holidays.

Some of the stories that she would tell me were freakin' amazing. Definitely, not the same WalMart that was created by Sam Walton.

Too bad we can't hook him up to a turbine. I am certain he is spinning in his grave fast enough to power a small city.

IIRC Didn't Walmart once boast that everything was made in America?

Kevin
08-31-08, 16:05
IIRC Didn't Walmart once boast that everything was made in America?

I recall that as well.....

thopkins22
08-31-08, 16:11

Walmart employees blame all of their freedom hating policies on the federal government. I asked why ALL of their ammo was locked up out of sight, and got the same line about federal regulations. I explained that she was wrong and that it must be walmart's policy, not law...don't think I got through though.

MarshallDodge
08-31-08, 16:59
This reminds me of someone's signature I saw recently: "I [heart] Wal Mart threads." :D

One more reason to keep your local shop in business. :cool:

Robb Jensen
08-31-08, 19:17
Good reason to support your local gunshops...........I'm just sayin'

NickB
08-31-08, 19:27
stopped at a local wal-mart [jackson,ms.] yesterday to get a few odds and ends to prepare for gustov, went to the sporting goods dept., was gonna pick up 500 rds. of "value pack" fmj to give to a guy i do a lot of work for, they said all the ammo is locked up in the back. "why??" i had to ask. seems wal-marts policy is to keep ammo from potential looters. i had to ask her with a straight face, "ma'am, can i ask your opinion of something?" sure, she said "ARE THESE SUM-BITCHES CRAZY, OR JUST ON DRUGS"???? what about law-abiding citizens ability to defend them-selves from these looters. "iknow, she said, i understand the order comes from federal officials. something like this is like a 3 foot high fire,,,,it really burns my ass. i'm sitting on 3k .556, 5k .45's, 6k 9mm's, 2k .40 s&w's, plus all my hunting gear and ammo, ,,but,,, if someone actually did really need some ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stupid -ass policy, ,,,,,,,,,,

"I can buy the ammo now or come back with bolt cutters when the looting starts...your call." :p

czydj
08-31-08, 20:11
"I can buy the ammo now or come back with bolt cutters when the looting starts...your call." :p

That reminds me! I need to pick up a good bolt cutter next time I'm in Sears...

CarlosDJackal
08-31-08, 20:38
I'd like to see that in writing. I'm not aware of any agency claiming to have such authority...

How much are you willing to bet that it is probably a local ordinance that someone like Nagin made into law. :rolleyes:

Pilgrim
08-31-08, 20:58
This could be a potential bummer to the unprepared. Though I doubt that there are very many unprepared folk here at M4C.

I am 'guilty' myself of getting a box or two of ammo from Walmart sometimes myself.

Reason being, at work I can order ammo from this (http://http://www.ar-g.com/intro2.cfm) distributorship. We don't sell to the public too much, we just put in an order here and there when we want something for ourselves. Last week we placed an order for Winchester 9mm load # USA9MMVP (white box). MY dealer price was $18.40 per 100 round box. During lunch break, I ran down to Walmart to check their price and found it to be $19.97 retail. Factor in the FedEx delivery charges I had to pay, and Walmarts retail just about equals my wholesale price.

As to this apparent policy of withholding ammo from the public preceding some type of calamity... yeah that sounds like something Walmart would do... and only adds to the contempt with which I view the company.

losbronces
08-31-08, 21:31
I've never seen them have any ammo that I would carry anyway.

NCPatrolAR
08-31-08, 21:36
Hmmm, interesting. I have never had a problem at the Wal-Marts around here and frequently shop there. Range/training ammo is much cheaper there than anywhere else and they have plenty out to buy. They also have a number of long guns available for purchase.

JLM
09-01-08, 03:12
Faggotry.

That is all :o

Razoreye
09-01-08, 18:12
A.) Why aren't you prepared ahead of these emergencies.
B.) Maybe it's store policy or maybe it is a strong suggestion from some gov't agency. Either way, a lowly employee isn't going to know shit, they don't tell 'em anything. Stop harrassing them, chances are they'll make some bullshit up just to get rid of the bitching customer.
C.) Complain to the local gov't if there is some ordinance or law that's just stupid.
D.) Forget made in America, it's nice but it was a marketing campaign and welcome to the world of globalization.
E.) WalMart has done more good for this country than anyone else.

bullseye
09-01-08, 18:41
talked to one of my old cronies today, he bought a ruger #1 45-70 at one place saturday, said he also went to bass pro shop [3-4 miles from above wal-mart] and they were selling the snot out of ammo. i'm still irritated about such gross stupidity, this is positively wal-mart's policy.

DarkX
09-01-08, 18:45
Back when I did a lot of waterfowl hunting....

Left the house late one morning [I was late at 0300] and somehow grabbed the wrong waterproof/accessory ammo can....the one without ammo. Realised this when I stopped for gas and thought, "Hey, I'll just stop at the Wal-Mart SuperCenter".

Walked right on in with all my hunting garb on....proceeded to the sporting goods section and picked up four boxes of my favorite 3.5 mag shotshells. Was told when I got up front to the cashier that I could not buy ammo until after 0600....

When I asked why, I was told that the rule was store policy for public safety....I asked them how dangerous I appeared to be with all my duck hunting gear on and exactly which part of the public they were trying to protect. Of course, an intelligent answer was not available.

That was my last time buying ammo at Wal-Mart. They're fools!

chadbag
09-01-08, 18:55

I'd love to hear how you got to this one.

Alpha Sierra
09-01-08, 21:06
I seriously hope there is some hidden sarcasm there that I missed.

10MMGary
09-01-08, 23:46
A.) Why aren't you prepared ahead of these emergencies.
B.) Maybe it's store policy or maybe it is a strong suggestion from some gov't agency. Either way, a lowly employee isn't going to know shit, they don't tell 'em anything. Stop harrassing them, chances are they'll make some bullshit up just to get rid of the bitching customer.
C.) Complain to the local gov't if there is some ordinance or law that's just stupid.
D.) Forget made in America, it's nice but it was a marketing campaign and welcome to the world of globalization.

Amen brother!

I'll start worrying about the local mom & pop guy down the block type businesses bottom line when they start worrying about mine. Do you guys and or gals buy your clothes from the local tailor or seamstress, how about your food, do you make sure it all came from a local farm and is being sold by a local one of a kind market? Of course you only buy your gas/petrol from the little independent service station even though he or she is 20 cents more on the gallon, correct? I'll keep buying my ammo from whoever gets me what I want at the lowest price. Sometimes that is my local WM sometimes it isn't. I also must have the only good WM in the entire nation, as I seem to be able to go in buy what I want, pay for it and leave with no problems.

thopkins22
09-01-08, 23:56
Do you guys and or gals buy your clothes from the local tailor or seamstress, how about your food, do you make sure it all came from a local farm and is being sold by a local one of a kind market?
Whenever possible I absolutely do. Generally the price is comparable, and I know that I'm buying quality. I'm not "green," but there is a LOT to be said for not paying to ship your milk/eggs/lamb/beef/vegetables hundreds if not thousands of miles. There's also a lot to be said for boosting your own dwindling economy instead of making China/Taiwain/Saudi Arabia rich(though you should have the choice).

chadbag
09-02-08, 00:34
I sometimes get stuff at Wal-Mart. But more often I do my grocery shopping at a local run place. And if there is more than one of the same sort of item on the shelf, I buy the made in USA one most of the time.

I needed a toilet plunger. There was a made in the USA one and a made in Korea one. I bought the made in the USA one even though it was a bit more expensive.

I am not perfect. But I don't buy any firearms stuff at Wal-Mart anymore. Not when they do all they can to trample the 2A. (video-taping gun sales etc)

Joe_Friday
09-02-08, 08:22
My local Wal-Mart will not sell any ammunition unitl after 0700. That is the only stipulation though. I do however, try to purchase from one of the local gun stores if possible but more for selection than price. Wal-Marx does not have a very good selection down here.

Gutshot John
09-02-08, 09:00

I'd bet dollars to donuts that this is what management "told" them to say figuring people won't argue with the Feds and won't make Wal-Mart look bad by shifting blame to the Feds.

ST911
09-02-08, 10:16
I'd bet dollars to donuts that this is what management "told" them to say figuring people won't argue with the Feds and won't make Wal-Mart look bad by shifting blame to the Feds.

I've heard Walmart employees erroneously cite federal law/regs and the ATF so much that it almost has to be in the management manual somewhere.

The average Walmart buyer is unlikely to know better, so it works most of the time. They then propagate the info further.

markm
09-02-08, 11:28
I've never seen them have any ammo that I would carry anyway.

That's true too.

d90king
09-02-08, 12:33

Care to elaborate on that one or did I miss something along the way.....

markm
09-02-08, 12:41
Care to elaborate on that one or did I miss something along the way.....

Maybe he means by employing the dumbest members of society and giving a place for illegal aliens to let their children run wild. :confused:

d90king
09-02-08, 12:46
Maybe he means by employing the dumbest members of society and giving a place for illegal aliens to let their children run wild. :confused:

I thought it was the low wages or putting hard working businesses out of business or maybe their lack of a pro gun agenda while making plenty of money on the sale of those items.

markm
09-02-08, 13:15
The guy could be posting from CHINA! He could be hanging out there after the Olympics.

He never said USA... just "this country"

Renegade
09-02-08, 13:16
The people who do not have guns & ammo prior to an emergency are the same folks who do not have an evacuation plan, gasoline, food, generator, etc.

Stupid always hurts...

Renegade
09-02-08, 13:19
I am not perfect. But I don't buy any firearms stuff at Wal-Mart anymore. Not when they do all they can to trample the 2A. (video-taping gun sales etc)

I do not think I have been in a gun store in 20 years that did not have a video security system.

chadbag
09-02-08, 13:27
I do not think I have been in a gun store in 20 years that did not have a video security system.

We are not taking about a video security system. We are talking about actual video taping of the transaction and this video stored away with identifying information on it so that if they ever get a gun trace request for a gun they can black list the buyer etc. Google it -- it was a big announcement Wal-Mart made a month or two ago about "doing something about gun crime."

Abraxas
09-02-08, 15:15

The funniest thing I have read in a while

Abraxas
09-02-08, 15:21
The people who do not have guns & ammo prior to an emergency are the same folks who do not have an evacuation plan, gasoline, food, generator, etc.

Stupid always hurts...

True as this is, sometimes it is not the stupid one that is hurt, and that is what bothers me

Striker5
09-03-08, 08:01
It is probably some home brewed policy by some scaredy cat store manager. I had a Wal-mart guy tell me they could only sell 100 rounds to one person per day when I asked for five 9mm value packs. I told him that was ridiculous and I wanted to talk to the store manager - "Oh, hey I was just kidding, heh heh".

Your thing sounds like a douche bag trying to protect the community from people that shoot more than 50 rounds a month.

Iraqgunz
09-03-08, 08:16
And here's the thing. Even if the sale was refused. Where I used to live in California we had (4) Walmarts in a 20 mile radius. If I was seriously intent on circumventing the bullshit policy I would drive to all four stores and no one would be any the wiser. Better yet, I would just continue to purchase via internet and save myself the gas, sales tax, crappy selection. In the end these stupid policies do absolute zero to prevent crime. They just inconvenience a customer.

It is probably some home brewed policy by some scaredy cat store manager. I had a Wal-mart guy tell me they could only sell 100 rounds to one person per day when I asked for five 9mm value packs. I told him that was ridiculous and I wanted to talk to the store manager - "Oh, hey I was just kidding, heh heh".

Your thing sounds like a douche bag trying to protect the community from people that shoot more than 50 rounds a month.

d90king
09-03-08, 08:41
The guy could be posting from CHINA! He could be hanging out there after the Olympics.

He never said USA... just "this country"

Good point...

alw357
09-03-08, 19:38
Wal-mart Sucks!! Can't Keep my wife out of there.