PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Fugitive Arrest at Funeral Gone Wrong--Wyoming, 6/30/16

Dienekes
07-02-16, 10:15
Whatever your views on the infamous war on drugs, it's going to be very, very hard to put a positive spin on his one. Shades of F&F; "What could go wrong here?"

http://www.douglas-budget.com/news/article_1d12d29e-3f0b-11e6-b619-9f6e6f4f858c.html?mode=jqm

A man in his mid-40s was shot and killed by law enforcement following his father's funeral outside of a church Thursday afternoon, according to local police and witnesses at the scene.

The man, who family members identified as Scott Ramirez, was shot and killed in the parking lot of the St. James Catholic Church in Douglas at approximately 3 p.m., prompting officials to place the city on lockdown.

Ramirez' cousin, who asked not to be named, told the Budget that Ramirez was confirmed dead about 30 minutes after the shooting in the emergency room at Memorial Hospital of Converse County.

Following the incident, hospital officials, before hearing the patient's name, would not provide any information. Officials said that it was "against the law" to give patient status updates.

The Douglas Police Department confirmed that it was an officer-involved shooting, but would not say which department or agency was involved. Witnesses said the agents were undercover.

Apparently no one involved in "planning" this had a lick of common sense. I don't like anything about drugs (much less illegal alien criminals that used to be my stock in trade) but why couldn't this guy be scarfed up more professionally? It's a long way from Douglas to anywhere, and LOTS of places to do it. And while the guy was probably not an altar boy, neither was he Jack the Ripper...

In my probationary days I did some pretty dumb stuff--but geez!

Firefly
07-02-16, 10:18
I'm at a point in life where killing or dying over drugs is looking pointless as hell

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-02-16, 10:23
Am I missing something? Bad guy is now dead bad guy? What's the problem?

Averageman
07-02-16, 10:28
From the article;

"Even in the face of growing violence in our culture, we expect as a civil society and encourage as a community of faith, that we make a stronger commitment to peaceful resolutions and enforcement of laws and a demonstration of greater respect for human life and the common good," the press release said.
Wake Up, you're dreaming.

Thugs are going to Thug, Cops are gonna Cop and if you don't want to die bleeding in the streets make better choices in life.
I don't think it's worth dying for, but others do, so what are you going to do?
If it isn't drugs it will be something else. Anytime there is money to be made going against the law, someone will be there to collect it.

Don Robison
07-02-16, 10:58
From the article;

"Even in the face of growing violence in our culture, we expect as a civil society and encourage as a community of faith, that we make a stronger commitment to peaceful resolutions and enforcement of laws and a demonstration of greater respect for human life and the common good," the press release said.
Wake Up, you're dreaming.

Thugs are going to Thug, Cops are gonna Cop and if you don't want to die bleeding in the streets make better choices in life.
If it isn't drugs it will be something else. Anytime there is money to be made going against the law, someone will be there to collect it.

This^^^

Life is full of choices. Like many I don't think drugs are worth dying over so I don't deal in them. If someone does, they know the possible outcomes.

ABNAK
07-02-16, 11:02
If it isn't drugs it will be something else.

Guns?

I get what you're saying but with the current political currents flowing like they seem to be we as gun owners could very well find ourselves the target of such statements in the future when we fail to comply with an edict from The Palace to turn in our guns or else.........

MegademiC
07-02-16, 11:03
Can't really make a judgement based on lack of details. If you don't want cops at your dad's funeral, don't break the law.

Bulletdog
07-02-16, 12:05

Here's a suggestion: How about we stop making everything illegal in this "free" country? There are so many laws that even law enforcement professionals can't keep track of them all.

If whatever this guy did wasn't illegal, then we wouldn't have to send guys with guns to go shoot him. When will we learn that you simply cannot tell adults what they can and can't do? No more victimless crime.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-02-16, 12:09
Here's a suggestion: How about we stop making everything illegal in this "free" country? There are so many laws that even law enforcement professionals can't keep track of them all.

If whatever this guy did wasn't illegal, then we wouldn't have to send guys with guns to go shoot him. When will we learn that you simply cannot tell adults what they can and can't do? No more victimless crime.

This I am fine with. If I do something that doesnt hurt ANYONE else, whats the problem?

26 Inf
07-02-16, 12:29
There isn't enough information in the story to understand the circumstances.

On the one hand it could be one of the Marshalls was threatened with lethal force and responded appropriately. On the other hand it could be that the guy was simply trying to escape and was shot to prevent escape. Or something else. We don't know.

One problem may be that too many folks think U.S. Marshalls and Justified are true to life - including some Marshalls; we have that same problem with the young cops I used to train.

Firefly
07-02-16, 12:32
There isn't enough information in the story to understand the circumstances.

On the one hand it could be one of the Marshalls was threatened with lethal force and responded appropriately. On the other hand it could be that the guy was simply trying to escape and was shot to prevent escape. Or something else. We don't know.

One problem may be that too many folks think U.S. Marshalls and Justified are true to life - including some Marshalls; we have that same problem with the young cops I used to train.

This.

I doubt it was a one person funeral. Other people were put in the line of fire

T2C
07-02-16, 15:56
It is unfortunate the suspect was killed during the arrest process. I would imagine he is not the first suspect taken into custody after a funeral.

Here is a link to the arrest warrant http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/douglas-budget.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/cf/bcfb9180-3fcc-11e6-8f33-eff57984b800/5776d6fc84352.pdf.pdf

Moose-Knuckle
07-03-16, 04:31
I would imagine he is not the first suspect taken into custody after a funeral.

Nope:

Warlocks Motorcycle Gang Busted Police Spring Trap After Funeral Of 'Brother'

March 3, 1991|By Jim Leusner of The Sentinel Staff

DAYTONA BEACH — One minute, 100 motorcycle gang members were laying a brother to rest. The next, they were laid out on the ground, machine guns pointed at their heads.

The gunmen were federal, state and local police officers, who crashed a funeral procession outside a cemetery Saturday afternoon searching for 30 Warlocks gang members wanted on weapons and explosives trafficking charges.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1991-03-03/news/9103030583_1_warlocks-motorcycle-gang-undercover-agents

Averageman
07-03-16, 09:11
Guns?

I get what you're saying but with the current political currents flowing like they seem to be we as gun owners could very well find ourselves the target of such statements in the future when we fail to comply with an edict from The Palace to turn in our guns or else.........

No, it wont be gun owners, they will go underground with all of that and hang in hoping for change.
There will be a rise in gun thefts and gangs of thugs doing home invasions to get those guns. The people getting busted will still be the guys who get popped dealing dope. Mostly low level guys trying to move up the ladder.

Busting Criminals at funerals, family reunions and emergency rooms is as old as time. I'm sure some Roman Centurions showed up at some Celtic festivals to bag the local resistance leaders. Someone, once said "They always go home eventually."
It is as true for this guy as it was for Bonnie and Clyde.

T2C
07-03-16, 09:17
...................Apparently no one involved in "planning" this had a lick of common sense. I don't like anything about drugs (much less illegal alien criminals that used to be my stock in trade) but why couldn't this guy be scarfed up more professionally? It's a long way from Douglas to anywhere, and LOTS of places to do it. And while the guy was probably not an altar boy, neither was he Jack the Ripper...

In my probationary days I did some pretty dumb stuff--but geez!

How would you handle this situation? What would you have done differently?

Dienekes
07-03-16, 10:16
As somebody said, "I'll find a way." Just because something's legal doesn't mean it's smart or right...

A lot of stuff that seemed important at the time to get done right damn now isn't even a memory any more. Unless you watched "The Untouchables" on TV no one even knows about Prohibition.

Happy Independence Day to all.