PDA

View Full Version : Machine Guns Aren't Protected By The Second Amendment, Court Rules

223to45
07-02-16, 15:08
That this was already settled?

"Machine Guns Aren't Protected By The Second Amendment, Court Rules" - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/machine-guns-second-amendment-ruling_us_57769b2ee4b09b4c43c03f30?section=

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Alex V
07-02-16, 16:59
Seems like we are getting kicked in the balls left and right lately. I wasn't about to spend $30K on a machine gun, but it's nice to know I can (in a free state) if I wanted too.

We were making good progress for a while now it seems like we are getting smacked around a bit.

JasonB1
07-02-16, 17:12
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Miller

Firefly
07-02-16, 17:17
And twitter isn't protected by the First under that logic

Koshinn
07-02-16, 17:50
And twitter isn't protected by the First under that logic

This.

And if they say "well it's usual because they're rare in modern times too", banning an item then citing it's rarity for continuing the ban is circular and that person should be kicked in the balls.

SteyrAUG
07-02-16, 18:22
This is why we need to strike the "sporter clause."

jpmuscle
07-02-16, 18:23
Does the government possess select fire weapons? Yes. End of discussion.

ETA they'd be common use if they weren't so restricted. Like, duh

Renegade
07-02-16, 18:36
"Shall Not Be Infringed"

Does not mean what it says.

Outlander Systems
07-02-16, 18:37
The NRA is a wholly reactionary institution.

How do we make this happen? It's the dumbest ****ing thing in the history of US Firearms legislation, other than the ban on shoulder things that go up.

This is why we need to strike the "sporter clause."

JasonB1
07-02-16, 20:14
This.

And if they say "well it's usual because they're rare in modern times too", banning an item then citing it's rarity for continuing the ban is circular and that person should be kicked in the balls.

That was why I never got excited over Heller.

JasonB1
07-02-16, 20:16

How do we make this happen? It's the dumbest ****ing thing in the history of US Firearms legislation, other than the ban on shoulder things that go up.

The NRA lobbied for GCA 68 which saddled us with the sportier clause.

Benito
07-02-16, 20:43
Yep, unelected, unaccountable elites deciding what plain English means and with the power to erase natural rights and create new rights out of thin air.
Just what the Founders fought for.

Firefly
07-02-16, 20:57
You know....I pay the NRA good money every five years. Why can I not own a freaking full auto foreign gun over the counter by now? What do they do with my money. That's a hundred plus smackers. NAACP and ACLU gets shit done. Why not NRA?

I just want a Carl Gustav without The Man looking at fingerprints(which they've had since I was 22), or looking at my ugly mug (which I'm sure they've had since my first Driver's License) and knowing where I live (which they already do because taxes), and forcing me to pay $200 (which they don't) need.

They've already been up my colon up with a periscope since I was a young adult. Why not cut me some slack?

JoshNC
07-02-16, 21:01

At the request of domestic manufacturers who wanted to quell competition from importers like Sam Cummings. Unbelievable.

SteyrAUG
07-02-16, 21:02

And thankfully FOPA 86 undid some of the more draconian parts of the 68 GCA. No military surplus firearms, ammo sales logged the same as gun sales, no ammo shipped to your home, no crossing state lines with prohibited weapons regardless of destination and of course any profitable sales or trades could have you prosecuted for being an unlicensed FFL.

I don't think most here would have survived the Carter years with the gun laws. Of course under Obama a LOT of FOPA 86 has been heavily eroded, especially the part protecting "non dealers" from making trades or sales regardless of any favorable terms.

While the anti gun crowd has gone on the attack against "assault weapons", I really wish the NRA would take the offensive and go on a focused effort to remove the "sporter clause" once and for all. Wish it was the priority of every pro gun organization and every gun owner. If we could all rally behind that one, the way the average person fully supports Bruce Jenner's right to be considered a woman, we could really put an end to a lot of this nonsense.

Sadly I'd wager that 50% of NRA members, let alone gun owners, even know what the "sporter clause" is or what it does. It's not really important like making sure nobody calls a magazine a clip or making sure you click your safety on and off between each string of fire.

SteyrAUG
07-02-16, 21:03
That was why I never got excited over Heller.

I was excited to the extent that if the decision went the other way, we'd really be well screwed at this point. The entire nation could be experiencing the California dream.

Outlander Systems
07-02-16, 21:12
My tinnitus demands cash and carry cans. Instant NICS me, and let me have my shit.

JasonB1
07-02-16, 21:23
I was excited to the extent that if the decision went the other way, we'd really be well screwed at this point. The entire nation could be experiencing the California dream.

It doesn't seem to be working as portrayed though. In common use is way too easy to achieve via bans much like someone claiming they don't want to take guns from, or commit other nefarious acts against, the law abiding.

Firefly
07-02-16, 21:30
No really. Because of NAACP they always have to pop a black guy in every commercial, he cannot be the object of risicule, and if he is; he can only be ridiculed by a black woman. Plus why the burglars in alarm commercials are fat white guys.

ACLU makes it where trannies can use whatever bathroom and 12 year olds can transition.

All well and good and whatever...

So why the hell has NRA not gotten me my goddamn suppressors and full auto back? That shit was legal before 1934.

If I had Bill Gates money I'd be suing people left and right in Federal Court, bribing judges, and commissioning Taylor Swift and Pussy Riot to make gun rights songs as both are currently the most respected musicians in the world at present.

SteyrAUG
07-03-16, 01:20
It doesn't seem to be working as portrayed though. In common use is way too easy to achieve via bans much like someone claiming they don't want to take guns from, or commit other nefarious acts against, the law abiding.

It's more of a road block than a true barrier, but it's better than having nothing.

BBossman
07-03-16, 05:43

Much like the Republican party, the NRA makes money on inaction and promises. After every major loss of liberty and freedom, they both act like a public TV pledge drive.

Alex V
07-03-16, 07:32
The NRA, just like any other political entity is in it for themselves. They are in it for the money and power.

cbx
07-04-16, 09:08
NRA isn't interested in expanding rights, or making sure you have the ones granted to you by the bill of rights.

What they are interested in is rallying their members, to constantly donate, and running ads for people to join when anything gun control comes up. Which is every 5 minutes or so.

They do just enough to stay relevant. It's a business, that plays on fear. Nothing more. They didn't do F all in California. Why not? Wouldn't that be more constructive than hammering guys in Tennessee and idaho with phone calls on their lunch hour?

I contribute to them. But I have to be completely honest, the more time goes on, the more I feel like I'm wasting my money.

sevenhelmet
07-04-16, 11:36
That's why I directly contribute to GOA instead of the NRA. I do the NRA "round up" thing every time I buy something off midway, but that's about it.

BoringGuy45
07-04-16, 15:51
Much like the Republican party, the NRA makes money on inaction and promises. After every major loss of liberty and freedom, they both act like a public TV pledge drive.

They didn't even want to be involved in DC v. Heller. They're a fudd organization. Granted, they are not pro-gun control fudd. But, they are the types or really don't care TOO much unless unless it involves hunting laws. The NRA runs away hooting and hollering about their "great" victory when an already pro-gun state does something like extend black powder season an extra week or allows hunting on Sundays. But, some law is passed banning commonly owned weapons, they stand up and say, "We're pretty pissed off about this and we think this law should be repealed. That's our opinion. You can now go back to doing whatever you were doing."