PDA

View Full Version : Smoking the Meat and making the sauce.

Averageman
07-03-16, 12:00
So who else is celebrating early with some BBQ?
The sauce should be rocking this year, its like South Texas Heat meets Memphis Sweet and Sticky.

_Stormin_
07-03-16, 16:32
Did some smoked sausage and chicken today. Kicked it all off early this morning and they just hit the cutting board an hour ago. A-MA-ZING...

I'm dying to head back to the kitchen for seconds, but just trying to convince myself to save it for tomorrow.

26 Inf
07-03-16, 17:18
A little off subject, but just got back from the new local Rib Crib. This was my third trip and I've found the meat to be pretty good. I'm doing a low carb thing, so far I've tried dry rubbed ribs and chicken breast. The ribs are awesome and the chicken just slightly less so. Is this true of all locations? I'm not a competition BBQ judge, but I know what I like.

ETA: I hate auto correct.

AKDoug
07-04-16, 02:17
Got two sets of baby backs in the fridge already rubbed up. Going in the smoker tomorrow. Smoker is currently occupied with 15# of jalapeno summer sausage and 9# of salami. I'm not a big sauce guy. I like my ribs with straight up salt and pepper, smoked for a bit, then finished at 225* until done.

Moose-Knuckle
07-04-16, 05:54
I'm grilling out my speciality, ribeyes today.

donlapalma
07-04-16, 08:49
I did a full packer brisket and two racks of baby back ribs yesterday. The ribs were probably some of the best I've ever made. The brisket cooked way faster than expected so I ended up holding it longer than I should have. That was murder on the flat but the point was still juicy and moist. My sauce was on the sweet side and I left the heat out this time so my family would enjoy it more. They don't like spicy like I do!

murphman
07-04-16, 09:13
Pork butt on and maintaining temp, lets see how she turns out in 8 hours. Started my smoking adventures this past winter and mainly stuck to baby back ribs so this is my first pork butt.

Hmac
07-04-16, 09:15
Our tradition for the 4 July holiday (this year 24 family members in attendance) is a couple of whole turkeys smoked on the Big Green Egg, BBQ sauce painted under the skin. It's the burgers that get the full BBQ treatment. This year it was Jucy Lucy's cooked sous vide, then seared on the BGE. That turned out to be the only way to feasibly cook and serve 30 burgers in a reasonable time frame, and they were perfect.

Gunfixr
07-04-16, 09:22
Raining now, been raining since sometime late Saturday, early Sunday.
I'll still grill in some rain, but it's been coming down pretty good.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

donlapalma
07-04-16, 10:53
The ribs are awesome and the chicken just slightly less so. Is this true of all locations?

The ribs have more fat content than the chicken breast. So that could be part of the reason why the ribs were more satisfying to your taste buds.

Kain
07-04-16, 18:31

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

I ended up grilling the in the rain today, myself getting soaked. since my kitchen bitch was more worried about keeping the umbrella over themselves instead of the grill master and the grill. I miss my old kitchen bitch, gonna have to drag his ass up for the next major grilling weekend, I'll bribe him in ammo or liquor, lol. Burgers, some thin ribeyes that weren't worth grilling yesterday, and dogs. I swear I ate some much red meat this weekend that I am shitting medium rare.

As far as pork butts go, You go to get them cooked so that you can just pull that bone right out. That is when you know they are good. As far as sauce, I have a recipe that I was given from an old pit master, and I think I am sworn to secrecy under pain of death. It is good ol' southern style pork BBQ though and always a crowd favorite. God knows it is an art form.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-04-16, 22:23
Slice up green pepper and onion, put in pot with beer and bring to a boil, uncovered.
After about 15 minutes add bratwurst and bring back to boil. Turn once to make sure evenly cooked for 15 minutes. Remove brats and set aside for 15 min. Continue boiling pepper and onions.
Preheat grill to hot. Coat brats in BBQ sauce. Put brats on grill, and baste top side with BBQ sauce. Turn as BbQ sauce chars, and reapply BBQ sauce to top side. Repeat and repeat until outside charred. The BBQ sauce on top keeps moisture in and dries a bit so that the sugars can char better.
Pot with beer, onion and green peppers should be almost boiled down. Veggies should be soft and easy to cut. Remove from heat and let sit.

Take brats off after about 15 min total time. Put in bun, appLy ground mustard with horseradish, top with the onion and green pepper.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

_Stormin_
07-05-16, 19:54

Yeah, the weather here has decidedly sucked. I still managed to grill every day of the three day weekend. Too many years of living in Seattle to let some liquid sunshine slow me down.

RazorBurn
07-05-16, 20:11
Had 20 friends and family over yesterday for my annual Fourth of July shindig. Grilled right at 7 pounds of ground round, and 48 Ball Park Beef frands, plus all the sides and extras. My mom brought my favorite bananna pudding to finish it off with. Had a nice long day of setting off bottle rockets and firecrackers and at dark we brought out the heavy artillery. It was a great weekend and day! Sad thing is I didn't hardly have any leftovers other than potato salad, macaroni salad, and baked beans. I was really looking forward to some leftover burgers and hot dogs. :) The weather for the most part cooperated. Luckily I have a large carport on the side of my house to cover everyone and everything.

AKDoug
07-06-16, 02:11
I did a full packer brisket and two racks of baby back ribs yesterday. The ribs were probably some of the best I've ever made. The brisket cooked way faster than expected so I ended up holding it longer than I should have. That was murder on the flat but the point was still juicy and moist. My sauce was on the sweet side and I left the heat out this time so my family would enjoy it more. They don't like spicy like I do!

How are you holding it? I keep mine wrapped in tin foil and a towel, then drop it into a smallcooler, specifically a Grizzly 15 quart. It is the perfect size for a packer brisket and will only drop 30* in 6 hours.

donlapalma
07-06-16, 08:52
How are you holding it? I keep mine wrapped in tin foil and a towel, then drop it into a smallcooler, specifically a Grizzly 15 quart. It is the perfect size for a packer brisket and will only drop 30* in 6 hours.
That's exactly what I do as well. Just didn't turn out for me this time. Getting that perfectly cooked brisket is tough to do!