PDA

View Full Version : M&P LE model

ballsout
08-31-08, 12:31
I finally got my M&P9 w/trijicon nite sights for $450 new. However it is a law enforcement model# 309701. Will I have any legality issues with this weapon as a civilian?

nickdrak
08-31-08, 12:38
I finally got my M&P9 w/trijicon nite sights for $450 new. However it is a law enforcement model# 309701. Will I have any legality issues with this weapon as a civilian?

Negative. Unless you portrayed yourself as a LEO when you purchased it. The only difference with S&W's LE models is that they come with 3 magazines instead of 2, and the special pricing which is discounted for LE purchase. I also think that night sights come standard on all of the LE models.

RogerinTPA
08-31-08, 17:52
You're OK. I echo what Nickdrak said. They also put "For Military/Law Enforcement Only" on firearms as a sales pitch IMHO to fool you into believing you purchased something exclusive and not for civilians. If it was illegal by law, a normal gun shop wouldn't be legal to sell it. My Colt 6920 has the same thing on it.;)

The-Jarhead
09-01-08, 09:52
You're OK. I echo what Nickdrak said. They also put "For Military/Law Enforcement Only" on firearms as a sales pitch IMHO to fool you into believing you purchased something exclusive and not for civilians. If it was illegal by law, a normal gun shop wouldn't be legal to sell it. My Colt 6920 has the same thing on it.;)

x2. The LMT lower I bought for my new carbine has the restricted markings on them, which is a $25 option from LMT. It's just extra eye-candy, the lowers are exactly like the unmarked ones in every other way. I originally ordered a lower without the marking, and was told the unmarked ones were in stock, but turns out they weren't, so he sent one with markings at no extra charge.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l150/The-Jarhead/Carbine/IMG_0887.jpg

Beat Trash
09-01-08, 16:12
Smith & Wesson's LE model M&P's come with a third magazine, and no lock in the rear of the frame. Though I have yet to see a M&P at ANY store with the lock.

Most stocking dealers carry guns with night sights standard from the factory. But the gun can be had both ways.

I purchased two M&P9's prior to the end of the first promotion. I received two extra magazines and a $50.00 rebate per pistol. These guns are going to be set aside for my kids, until they are old enough (In the event of another ban prior to their turning 21).

As they will be sitting for a few years, I did not want Night sights, only to have them burn out in the safe. The final cost after the rebate was $370 plus tax per gun.

I believe the LE sales pricing also applies to Fire, EMS, Active Duty Military, and a few other areas. Glock has a similar program.

If you are in the mid-Ohio area, contact Vance's Shooting supply in Columbus.

The only legal issues a non-LEO might face would be in they were in a state prohibiting the 17 rd capacity magazines.