PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6720 mod

blgjr64
07-05-16, 08:44
I have a 6720 and I am thinking of giving it a change. My plan is:

- Replace barrel with BCM 14.5 MID ELWF
- Pin&Weld B.E. MEYERS 556-ASR FLASH HIDER (249 OMEGA) http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/be-meyers-249-asr-249-omega.html
- BCM MID length gas tub
- BCM Low Profile Gas Block
- BCM KMR13

I understand that some may ask why don't I just stick with what I got, but I have my reasons.

I wanted to run this by the thread to see if anyone with more knowledge could see any issues with what i have planned above? (over-gassed/under-gassed, etc.)

Any advice or knowledge y'all can drop on here is appreciated. And if you don't see any issues with my plan above, then giving a thumbs up would be good to hear.

Thanks

JoshNC
07-05-16, 09:19
That would be a fine setup, though I am not a fan of perm attached muzzle devices. You will inevitably want to swap the device at some point. This will require a gunsmith and cost money. I would recommend you keep the 6720 barrel, chop the gasblock to low-pro, add a 13" KMR-alpha, and put the money you would have spent on the barrel towards an Aimpoint and/or ammunition.

JasonB1
07-05-16, 09:27
+1 to the first response or more cost effective to sell the Colt barreled upper and replace with BCM instead of separating it.

MegademiC
07-05-16, 09:31
+1 to the first response or more cost effective to sell the Colt barreled upper and replace with BCM instead of separating it.

This was my thought. I'd price it out because I'd imagine it would be cheaper to sell and just buy it outright from bcm.

GH41
07-05-16, 09:44
+2 for 1st and 2nd response. I don't understand the logic for buying a lightweight 14.5" if he will be using a can (Based on his MD selection).

RAM Engineer
07-05-16, 09:49
How many rounds through your 6720 upper? I might be interested. ;)

blgjr64
07-05-16, 10:42
Well I have already done some decent work to my 6720. Chopped the gas block, CMR 14" rail, Aimpoint T1, Geissele trigger, rattle canned upper/lower FDE, etc. Looks nothing like a stock 6720 lol. Its a very nice set up and I have had it for sometime now.

With new things on the market (specifically BCM barrels and rails) I wanted to make some changes. Kind of refine the rifle to my likes/needs.
I love the new stuff BCM has come out with in the last couple of years. The ELWF barrels and KMR's are amazing, I have them on other things and enjoy them over everything else I have used.

Like i said, I'm looking at refining my 6720. If anyone wants a 6720 barrel and CMR 14" in the future let me know lol.

Just wanted to throw my idea around at y'all and see if I was missing anything or running into any technical difficulties. I appreciate the feedback.

PrevailFI
07-05-16, 10:50
I considered doing similar, but in the end the change to midlength gas wasn't worth it. I dremeled down my FSB, put on a 13" rail and Battle comp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RAM Engineer
07-05-16, 12:25
There are lots of marketing buzzwords out there, but I haven't seen any evidence that BCM makes a better barrel than Colt, which have been proven to be some seriously good shooting barrels.

blgjr64
07-05-16, 12:55
I agree, Colt barrels are solid. Iv been wanting to do a 14.5 build for some time and thought of this set up and I am thinking of running with it. I want a lighter set up, and love the feel/ergonomics of the KMR. I was thinking the 14.5 BCM ELWF barrel would also lighten it up a little over the 6720 barrel.

Does anyone know the actual weight difference between the 14.5 BCM ELWF vs. 6720 barrel?

I like the B.E. MEYERS 556-ASR FLASH HIDER (249 OMEGA) for its flash suppression and suppressor capabilities. I want to put a can on this rifle at some point down the road.

Thanks for the input.

Press Check
07-05-16, 13:24
Trading a Colt barrel for a BCM barrel is the equivalent of trading an apple for an apple, and in my opinion, the edge goes to Colt. As far as the weight, the 16" Colt 6720 pencil barrel is the exact same weight as a 16" BCM ELW-F barrel, so the same applies.

My 6720 weighs under 5lbs with a KMR9 and Colt Fiberlite stock, and that's with BUIS, full mass Colt carrier and a carbine buffer system.

JasonB1
07-05-16, 14:01
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Barrel-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-14.5-elw-std.htm

1lb 5oz.

Think the stripped 6720 is 1lbs 6oz

Probably a minor "feel" difference due to the weight being further to the rear making the BCM seem lighter also.

Press Check
07-05-16, 14:56
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Barrel-ENHANCED-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-14.5-elw-std.htm

1lb 5oz.

Think the stripped 6720 is 1lbs 6oz

Correct, the 16" Colt weighs 1.388lbs, or 1lbs, 6oz.

HardToHandle
07-05-16, 22:26
Trading a Colt barrel for a BCM barrel is the equivalent of trading an apple for an apple, and in my opinion, the edge goes to Colt.

I have both a 6720 and a BCM 14.5 Pencil with a permed BCM. They are generally set up the same, shot the same and both impressive. Balance is remarkedly similar due to the placement of the front site tower.

My go to is the Colt, but they are effectively the same upper, minus 1.5" shorter. You win either way.

Rogue556
07-05-16, 23:02
You are going to pay roughly $470 ($270 for the barrel and $200 for the KMR-A) plus the cost of having a muzzle device pinned, so probably just over $500 for the parts and labor alone. BCM sells the entire upper assembled (without BCG and CH) in the exact configuration you want for $618 (in stock currently as well). If you're set on that setup then I'd honestly spend the extra $100-$120 for a complete upper. Quick and easy and leaves you with a spare which is never a bad thing.

I have that exact setup (14.5 ELW-F and KMR-A) and it's pretty awesome. It's my current go to rifle.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

blgjr64
07-06-16, 08:41
Thanks everyone for all the input. I may just get the upper already configured the way I want from BCM and keep the 6720 upper.

I appreciate all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
07-06-16, 20:21
I use a factory assembled BCM upper consisting of a 14.5" ELW-f with a 13" KMR rail for work. I also own a 6720 that I use as my "travel gun" when out of town on vacation, ect. I prefer the feel of the BCM 14.5" gun. But if I had it to do over, I'd go with the 16" ELW-f so as not to be limited to a pinned and welded flash suppressor. But with that said, the 6720 is an excellent gun.

I agree in that for the money you would spend converting the Colt upper over, you might as well purchase a complete second BCM upper. Then I'd wait for a sale on a lower and have two guns.