PDA

View Full Version : Question about the stripped Colt lowers sold by Specialized Armament.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 13:13
I have emailed Specialized Armament and Ken Elmore says they are new from the factory (never been assembled) stripped lowers.

Reading around here would lead you to believe that all stripped Colt lowers started as a factory complete rifle... So what's the truth?

Ryno12
07-05-16, 13:35
I've bought their stripped lowers before & all evidence points to them never being assembled. What I've seen with my own eyes corresponds with Ken's answer to your question.

Some people here dispute that and say otherwise.

BillBond
07-05-16, 13:54
For many years SA would break down complete rifles.
Maybe that has changed ?
But some things occurred at SA over 10 years ago that convinced me to not believe everything Ken says.

misfit47
07-05-16, 14:03
I don't believe it to be correct.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 14:08
I've bought their stripped lowers before & all evidence points to them never being assembled. What I've seen with my own eyes corresponds with Ken's answer to your question.

Some people here dispute that and say otherwise.

From what I have seen of Colt factory assembled lowers you would not be able to hide the fact that it was once assembled.

I have not yet bought a stripped Colt lower from SA though and it's a lot of money to spend on a stripped lower only to find out that it's not what you thought it was, I would definitely want it to be brand new (not stripped from an assembled rifle).

Ryno12
07-05-16, 14:17
From what I have seen of Colt factory assembled lowers you would not be able to hide the fact that it was once assembled.

I have not yet bought a stripped Colt lower from SA though and it's a lot of money to spend on a stripped lower only to find out that it's not what you thought it was, I would definitely want it to be brand new (not stripped from an assembled rifle).

I agree. I've also bought known dealer stripped lowers & it was extremely obvious that they were once assembled. The one from SA had no marks whatsoever. Identical to other factory stripped lowers that I've purchased.

If Ken confirmed that they were never assembled, I see no reason to believe otherwise.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 14:51
Other than Colt, where could one find a stripped lower that is known to be good quality that doesn't have any of those ridiculous "Gen 2 features" like threaded bolt catch pins, threaded takedown detent pin holes and upper tensioning screws?

I would prefer no selector stops as well but they aren't a deal breaker.

misfit47
07-05-16, 14:53
Bcm has good ones.

BBossman
07-05-16, 14:58
Looking at my Colt AR's as an example, I'd be suspicious of a Colt lower that wasn't covered in 'handling" marks.

Ryno12
07-05-16, 14:59
Bcm has good ones.

Yep...

556Cliff
07-05-16, 15:17
Bcm has good ones.

I don't think that I have ever seen any stripped BCM lowers though.

Ryno12
07-05-16, 15:24
I don't think that I have ever seen any stripped BCM lowers though.

Yes, they come factory assembled. Are you specifically looking only for stripped ones?

556BlackRifle
07-05-16, 15:25
So if you bought a "Colt Lower" that the seller represented to have never been built into a rifle, completed a transfer through your local FFL as an other, then later built it into a pistol, but later it was found that the lower came from a disassembled rifle. It wouldn't seem like the BTAF would have a case against you personally. Wouldn't want to be Ken from SA though.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 15:31
Yes, they come factory assembled. Are you specifically looking only for stripped ones?

Yep, stripped is what I want.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 15:35
So if you bought a "Colt Lower" that the seller represented to have never been built into a rifle, completed a transfer through your local FFL as an other, then later built it into a pistol, but later it was found that the lower came from a disassembled rifle. It wouldn't seem like the BTAF would have a case against you personally. Wouldn't want to be Ken from SA though.

Ken also told me that all Colt stripped lower receivers are registered as rifle receivers because Colt doesn't want any pistol builds with their name on them.

Press Check
07-05-16, 15:43
Ken also told me that all Colt stripped lower receivers are registered as rifle receivers because Colt doesn't want any pistol builds with their name on them.

LOL..

556Cliff
07-05-16, 16:22
LOL..

I know right? This makes me think that they left the factory as fully assembled rifles that were then stripped down at Specialized Armament.

GH41
07-05-16, 16:26
Looking at my Colt AR's as an example, I'd be suspicious of a Colt lower that wasn't covered in 'handling" marks.

Can you imagine what a Colt blem would look like?? Like it got run over by a truck.

Skyyr
07-05-16, 16:37
I've got no dog in this fight, but I called Colt 2-3 weeks ago and asked them specifically about SAW's lowers. Colt said, directly, that they "have not sold them that way for years."

Not claiming that SAW's being dishonest, and the Colt rep I talked to could easily be mistaken. Just saying, that's directly per Colt.

Ryno12
07-05-16, 16:59
I've got no dog in this fight, but I called Colt 2-3 weeks ago and asked them specifically about SAW's lowers. Colt said, directly, that they "have not sold them that way for years."

Not claiming that SAW's being dishonest, and the Colt rep I talked to could easily be mistaken. Just saying, that's directly per Colt.

So that means that they have indeed sold them factory stripped (at least at some point), contrary to what some people say.
I purchased mine a couple years ago and, based on what I saw, what Ken says, and now Colt...

Is it possible that SAW still has stock left over from those days? Based on their price, I wouldn't see why not.
...Or maybe he still has lead on them.

Press Check
07-05-16, 17:53
On the pricing, SA is not too far off what I have seen and paid for Colt lowers over the last 10 years or so. I have paid $350 for a new, completely stripped 6920 lower, and have paid $900 for a new, assembled 6921 lower that was deregistered and removed from the NFA registry.

For quite some time, Colt has commanded that pricing for stripped lowers, assembled lowers, and LE restricted lowers.

Colt is what it is, period.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 18:47
On the pricing, SA is not too far off what I have seen and paid for Colt lowers over the last 10 years or so. I have paid $350 for a new, completely stripped 6920 lower, and have paid $900 for a new, assembled 6921 lower that was deregistered and removed from the NFA registry.

For quite some time, Colt has commanded that pricing for stripped lowers, assembled lowers, and LE restricted lowers.

Colt is what it is, period.

I don't have a problem with the price, it's just that I don't really know what I'm getting that has me holding back.

Press Check
07-05-16, 19:00
I get that, and get the principle of the issue, but is there a tangible difference between one that is new and disassembled, and one that is new and never assembled? I bought one that was new and disassembled, but showed no signs of disassembly.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 19:20
I get that, and get the principle of the issue, but is there a tangible difference between one that is new and disassembled, and one that is new and never assembled? I bought one that was new and disassembled, but showed no signs of disassembly.

I suppose not... If anyone can disassemble a lower correctly it would be the guys at Specialized Armament.

Maybe what bugs me is that they are potentially lying about it and no one really seems to know for sure one way or the other.

daniel87
07-05-16, 19:26
if it not a true stripped reciever then you cant make a pistol if it was from a disassembled rifle.

that would make the pistol illegal.
and the owner a....

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

daniel87
07-05-16, 19:28
Other than Colt, where could one find a stripped lower that is known to be good quality that doesn't have any of those ridiculous "Gen 2 features" like threaded bolt catch pins, threaded takedown detent pin holes and upper tensioning screws?

I would prefer no selector stops as well but they aren't a deal breaker.
seekins.

mine is good. the one with out integrated trigger guard

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ryno12
07-05-16, 19:34
Maybe what bugs me is that they are potentially lying about it and no one really seems to know for sure one way or the other.

If you asked him & he gave you an answer, why wouldn't you believe him? Otherwise, why bother asking?

Molon
07-05-16, 19:45
Maybe what bugs me is that they are potentially lying about it . . .

So you have no proof that Specialized Armament is lying about this matter, yet you post that they are “potentially lying about it.”? Libelous BS like this does not belong in a technical forum on a website of this caliber.

Press Check
07-05-16, 20:05
Based on a previous post, what SA claims seems to be contrary to what Colt claims. IIRC, the M4 Carbine lower debuted in mid 2011, and since that time, I have never heard of them being offered as stripped, never assembled.

markm
07-05-16, 20:05

For whatever reason... Ken will hold onto his inventory like a lunatic. I remember all the stuff he had during the last, BIGGEST panic. He could have become a pretty rich man had he unloaded the BCGs and stuff he had.

I believe he probably does have new old stock Stripped lowers.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 20:07
If you asked him & he gave you an answer, why wouldn't you believe him? Otherwise, why bother asking?

The only reason I sent an email to SA asking about it was because of other posts here on this forum insisting that all stripped Colt lowers came from complete rifles.

Ryno12
07-05-16, 20:12
The only reason I sent an email to SA asking about it was because of other posts here on this forum insisting that all stripped Colt lowers came from complete rifles.

I totally understand. I'd believe Ken though over pretty much everyone else, especially when it comes to products from SAW.

556Cliff
07-05-16, 20:17
So you have no proof that Specialized Armament is lying about this matter, yet you post that they are “potentially lying about it.”? Libelous BS like this does not belong in a technical forum on a website of this caliber.

I'm not saying Ken Elmore is lying, that's why I said potentially... Apparently it was the wrong choice of words.

Captiva
07-05-16, 20:19
if it not a true stripped reciever then you cant make a pistol if it was from a disassembled rifle.

that would make the pistol illegal.
and the owner a....

...victim of a erroneously filled out form 4473. Not a felon.

Iraqgunz
07-05-16, 20:32
You asked SAW directly and were given an answer. Accept it or don't. But we aren't going to engage in a bunch of needless speculation. As markm also stated I wouldn't be surprised to learn Ken was sitting on stuff for a long period of time.