PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 FPB1

Badhair
07-05-16, 21:47
I have been saving my money for quite awhile a decided to buy the Colt 6920 fbp1. After much research I purchased it and shot it this last weekend with nice results. Love it.
I was back at my dealer buying more ammo and was talking to another salesman there and he said he would never buy a Colt. He stated that they have a poor warranty, have proprietary parts, and may not be around much longer as a company. In other words I made a mistake.
Can someone set this straight ? I researched this a long time and this is a bunch of money for me. Proprietary parts ? This seems to go against the grain of most everything I have read about the 6920.
If this post is in the wrong spot , I apologize, I am a newbie here.
Thanks in advance.

thebarracuda
07-05-16, 22:02
Worry not friend. The 6920 is THE standard. Never talk to that guy again.

Ever.

MegademiC
07-05-16, 22:09
Colts been "going out of business"/"losing their contract"/ etc since I got into ars, about 2007.

Ddue was most likely trying to sell you a dpms, or bushmaster, or just really has no clue.

HardToHandle
07-05-16, 22:13
I have been saving my money for quite awhile a decided to buy the Colt 6920 fbp1. After much research I purchased it and shot it this last weekend with nice results. Love it.
I was back at my dealer buying more ammo and was talking to another salesman there and he said he would never buy a Colt. He stated that they have a poor warranty, have proprietary parts, and may not be around much longer as a company. In other words I made a mistake.
Can someone set this straight ? I researched this a long time and this is a bunch of money for me. Proprietary parts ? This seems to go against the grain of most everything I have read about the 6920.
Thanks in advance.

Conversation redux - Insert Chevy for Colt and corvette for 6920. Technically true, but effectively BS in reality.

scooter22
07-05-16, 22:15
Solid purchase.

Gun store employees often spout ill-informed BS.

Nothing is proprietary on a 6920...

Korgs130
07-05-16, 22:17
Worry not friend. The 6920 is THE standard. Never talk to that guy again.

Ever.

It doesn't seem that the salesman has any clue. You picked up a rock solid carbine that as Cuda said, "is THE standard." No proprietary parts what so ever. Enjoy it!

Zirk208
07-05-16, 22:53
Thanks in advance.

I stopped listening to gun store counter guys a long time ago. Now I'm, "just looking"
I imagine he's still parroting the old "proprietary parts" line from the oversized trigger pins from the AWB era from 94-2004. Some things never change.
I imagine he also had a lovely ___________ (insert: bushmaster, DPMS, del-ton, RRA, Stag, etc) that he would gladly sell to you in place of the Colt.
As Grant has said here, Colt sells every gun they make. They will continue to be around. The issues they have are at the top of the corporate level, not with the end product.
Shoot you gun, smile, and be happy.

MistWolf
07-05-16, 23:10
Colt has been going out of business since the 1800s

556BlackRifle
07-06-16, 00:59
That salesman was probably trying to steal you away from the other salesman by giving you a line of BS. He's wrong. The Colt 6920 is a solid platform, it doesn't contain any proprietary parts and Colt should be here for the foreseeable future.

Falar
07-06-16, 01:03
Proprietary parts....lol.

They don't have the M4 contract anymore though.

Butch
07-06-16, 04:03
That happens a lot; counter people bashing a gun they sell. I like ask, "If it's so bad, why do you sell them"? That always gets 'em.

Leonidas24
07-06-16, 04:49
That happens a lot; counter people bashing a gun they sell. I like ask, "If it's so bad, why do you sell them"? That always gets 'em.

While a salesman should never bash a sale completed by a previous salesman, Colt has shit for margin in it and dealers often make the least amount of money off of it. When a dealer can buy in to DPMS for $300 and sell for $600, that's a hell of a deal for that dealer because that keeps the lights on. But when a dealer buys into a Colt at $850 for instance, and sells it at MSRP, it's no where near as good of a deal for that dealer. There's a place for even DPMS and Bushmaster even though we don't like to admit it, but as I mentioned before salesmen that bash the brands they carry are too stupid to set straight and are lucky to have even gotten their shoes on without mommy having to tie them.

Falar
07-06-16, 08:16
While a salesman should never bash a sale completed by a previous salesman, Colt has shit for margin in it and dealers often make the least amount of money off of it. When a dealer can buy in to DPMS for $300 and sell for $600, that's a hell of a deal for that dealer because that keeps the lights on. But when a dealer buys into a Colt at $850 for instance, and sells it at MSRP, it's no where near as good of a deal for that dealer. There's a place for even DPMS and Bushmaster even though we don't like to admit it, but as I mentioned before salesmen that bash the brands they carry are too stupid to set straight and are lucky to have even gotten their shoes on without mommy having to tie them.

I remember when Colts went for a premium. I paid $1299 for my first 6920 (not the greatest price that was available at the time, I think mid 1100s was possible but I was impatient) and in the bullshit of late '08 and pretty much all of '09 when everything was scarce and high dollar I think I saw them as high as 1599 on GB. I'm not talking about the one or two random private sellers trying to get a high price (some of those guys were seeking 1999+) but many of the dealers to include the larger ones that frequent the site.

It seems like after that wave of panic buying/supply issues they flooded the market with product. Before they expanded the product line I think the old school original 6920 could be had for the 800 dollar range by around 2011 if I remember right. Talk about a deal. I was able to convince many people that wanted their first AR to get a 6920 during that time due to this pricing.

556m16
07-06-16, 10:38
Colt customer service is great, best around.
I sent in a gun 5 years out of warranty and they replaced the upper for free, they even paid shipping both ways.
Also had to send in a 901 and same great customer service.

misfit47
07-06-16, 11:47
That clerk was right. I'll cover shipping and ffl fees just send it to me for disposal.

Bummedic
07-06-16, 14:02
I own one carbine-length AR... and it's a Colt. Yes, they've been in financial troubles for a while now. Yes, they lost the USGI contract... but they're still the standard by which all others continue to be measured. Enjoy your purchase!

dsk
07-06-16, 14:34
I remember when Colts went for a premium. I paid $1299 for my first 6920 (not the greatest price that was available at the time, I think mid 1100s was possible but I was impatient) and in the bullshit of late '08 and pretty much all of '09 when everything was scarce and high dollar I think I saw them as high as 1599 on GB. I'm not talking about the one or two random private sellers trying to get a high price (some of those guys were seeking 1999+) but many of the dealers to include the larger ones that frequent the site.

It seems like after that wave of panic buying/supply issues they flooded the market with product. Before they expanded the product line I think the old school original 6920 could be had for the 800 dollar range by around 2011 if I remember right. Talk about a deal. I was able to convince many people that wanted their first AR to get a 6920 during that time due to this pricing.

My SP6920 was $1100 back in 2010, and I thought it was a good deal. None of my local Wal-Marts carried them, but the stores that did were selling them for around $1080. Those who bought one when prices dipped to as low as $850 got lucky. In my area they're back up to at least $1000 now. One store wants $1200, but they're known for having high prices.

Falar
07-06-16, 15:45
My SP6920 was $1100 back in 2010, and I thought it was a good deal. None of my local Wal-Marts carried them, but the stores that did were selling them for around $1080. Those who bought one when prices dipped to as low as $850 got lucky. In my area they're back up to at least $1000 now. One store wants $1200, but they're known for having high prices.

There were great deals too be had in the years after the '09 panic buy leading up to the next panic buy. I think the best deal I saw was a Fort Worth area well known dealer that eventually moved some LE6920s (pre-'13 config with the M4 style furniture and 2 mags and carry handle, late '11/early '12) for $830 or so. I urged everyone I knew with budget guns like DPMS, Bushmaster, S&W, etc to move into a "real" AR around that time and many did take my advice.

Prices aren't too bad now.

Just got one of the ones with the Magpul MOE furniture for $939 and one of the OEM2s for $760. The OEM2 is a ****ing steal and probably will be the only AR15 I ever buy again. No more wasted take-off parts (well, the receiver ext sometimes and the grip) and paying for things you don't use!

misfit47
07-06-16, 16:17
The oem is for the most part a very good deal. I picked up a couple of colts that were solid bargains. The first was a 6920 that picked up a 6921 barrel, miculek comp (pinned, welded), magpul moe stock, a cheap floating quad rail. Knew the rail had to go. Got it for 800. Got a 6720 magpulled out for same price. Don't regret either of them and would do it again. They make a darn good rifle and will last a lifetime.

Bummedic
07-06-16, 17:33
Paid a little more than I should have for my 6920, but I don't mind. I'll never get rid of it. It's my m4gery now. Added a Colt carry handle and FSP side sling mount, a KAC M4 RAS, and a gen 1 Sopmod stock. Debated leaving the milspec grip and trigger guard, but upgraded to Magpul. May still revert.

titsonritz
07-06-16, 17:35
Ignore Elmer Fudd, he is full of shit and deserves his DPMS or whatever POS he recommends. This belongs in the "Stupidest shit you hear in gun shops" thread.

SiGfever
07-06-16, 17:40
Colt is and always has been a very fine rifle. The clue that the salesman was talking crap was that his lips were moving. You did very good and that rifle will have value when others don't. My carbine length is a LE6920MP-B, damn fine rifle.

KOLT_AID
07-06-16, 18:41
The "proprietary part" of my 6920 is reliability. I can't tell yet if durability is also proprietary since only 3500 rounds were fired through it as of today.

CPM
07-06-16, 20:13
I cannot remember a single piece of good advice I have ever heard, either indirectly or directly, at a gun shop.

Bummedic
07-06-16, 20:37
I cannot remember a single piece of good advice I have ever heard, either indirectly or directly, at a gun shop.

Not true... unfortunately, the good and honest ones tend to be put out of business by the others (happened to my fav one).

Pushbutton2
07-06-16, 21:14
Some Colts run a half moon Bolt Carrier
https://youtu.be/4X_D6UH3dLM

556m16
07-06-16, 22:23
They have not used those in years.

scoutfsu99
07-06-16, 22:43

Aaaand you're years out of date. Maybe if you had said "older Colts" or something along those lines.......but yea, they - along with every other swinging dick manufacturer - don't use those anymore. Welcome to 2016. Buy what you can, when you can. You'll be thankful in the long run.

dsk
07-06-16, 22:58

I just picked up a 6920-OEM that I had transferred in from Grabagun, and the salesman at my FFL looked at it and asked me why I didn't buy a Colt from him at the same price. He pointed to an Expanse on the wall and said all it lacked was the dust cover and forward assist. I had to tell him that it also lacked a chrome-lined barrel. I can imagine had I not set him straight about the stuff he was selling in his own store he'd have sold that Expanse to somebody expecting it to have a chrome-lined barrel. Unfortunately there are also ignorant salesmen out there telling people that Colt ARs still use enlarged hammer/trigger pins, commercial BCGs and proprietary takedown pins, just as they also don't even realize that Colt has been making Series 70 1911 pistols again for well over a decade.

Falar
07-06-16, 22:58
Might as well bring up the old ".170" pins as well.

darr3239
07-07-16, 02:08
Also had to send in a 901 and same great customer service.
??

I sent my 901 in for an upper replacement and it took several phones calls and months to get it back. Everyone said they were working on it, except for the last "supervisor" who made it happen.

The issues are not usually concerning their products, it's their customer service that seems to track like their bankruptcy's.

Jake D
07-12-16, 11:43
I picked my 6920 with all Magpul furniture in the odd bounty hunter camo at my LGS last October for $849. It's my first AR and I didn't think that I did too bad.

Josefius
07-12-16, 12:22

My LE6920 came with an M16 bolt carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

misfit47
07-12-16, 12:40
Didn't they quit the half moon carriers a few years ago?

dsk
07-12-16, 16:13
The old half-moon BC's are a product of Colt's bygone days when they also used oversized takedown pins and hammer/trigger pins to keep people from dropping in the giggle parts.

kirkland
07-12-16, 17:09
Just another gun store counter salesman idiot. I've heard a few doozys from those guys over the years. Fear not, your Colt is good to go.

misfit47
07-12-16, 17:19
The old half-moon BC's are a product of Colt's bygone days when they also used oversized takedown pins and hammer/trigger pins to keep people from dropping in the giggle parts.

These days they have the Web of material left in the lower.

dsk
07-12-16, 19:15
These days they have the Web of material left in the lower.

True, but unless you're trying to do something naughty that doesn't stop you from using whatever parts you please in your Colt AR. The old proprietary parts were a huge PITA, especially if you wanted to swap uppers.

misfit47
07-12-16, 19:19
That's true

Pushbutton2
07-12-16, 19:32
They have not used those in years.

I was not aware. Thank you [emoji106]

veeklog
07-12-16, 21:39
Thanks in advance.

There are more 6920's out there to throw a rock at, so the salesman is a moron. Colt is the basis where all AR's are based on. Some a little better like KAC, but that list is very short