PDA

View Full Version : A2 Flash Hider vs Battlecomp 2.0

ContractSoldier
07-06-16, 19:54
Could someone advise me as to what one gains, other than a savings in weight by going with a Battlecomp 2.0?

From the research that if done, the standard, A2 flash hider compensator weighing in at 2.06 ounces, offer better flash suppression and many in the comments sections over the internet, question if there's that much of a recoil and muzzle climb reduction over the standard A2 flash hider compensator, with the Battlecomp 2.0 and and say the Battlecomp 2.0 is louder.

Per the tests below, the Battlecomp 2.0 produces a brighter flash. I ask because I'm in the process of building a lightweight carbine and I do not want a muzzle device that weighs more than the standard A2 flash hider compensator. It would be nice if there was something that offered better flash suppression and recoil and muzzle climb reduction over the A2 standard flash hider compensator, while being the same length and the same weight or less.

Firefly
07-06-16, 20:01
If your aim is just light and handy, I'd stick to an A2 or a Vortex.

Battlecomp seems to ring bells indoors and the benefits are kinda meh.

JMO but the best brake I've shot so far was the MAMS. That sucker works, especially with a .308. But with a 5.56 it's kinda nickel and dime for what youre doing.

One man's opinion.

ContractSoldier
07-06-16, 22:25
I'll probably go with the A2 flash hider compensator. For the money, it performs better than many higher priced muzzle devices, at half the weight.

They use them on the MK18 Mod 1, or something close and no problems with recoil and muzzle climb with increased flash that would be expected from a lighter SBR barrel.

My build will have a Bravo Company USA barrel that's a 16 inch mid length weighing 1 pound and 6 ounces. So recoil and muzzle climb with flash should be less than a MK18 Mod 1.

I will research the Vltor. What do you recommend?

556BlackRifle
07-07-16, 01:35
The A2 is actually a pretty good all around unit. For $15 it's hard to beat.

Stickman
07-07-16, 01:45
If your goal is flash suppression, stick with the A2. If you are looking more for a compensator, the BC will be much better. While there are better comps on the market, they tend to blow massive flame. The BC does a pretty good job of taming flash, not up to A2 levels, but better than a lot of other comps on the market.

ETA- The Battle Comp works well enough that if you are doing rapid fire 3 or 4 round engagements, you will feel the muzzle dip down a bit. Kinda odd the first couple times you play blaster man, but it is very controllable.

GH41
07-07-16, 06:30
OP, You mentioned lightweight.. How much are you willing to pay for it? http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/collections/muzzle-devices/products/v-seven-ti-flash-hider

Nightstalker865
07-07-16, 07:01
Have you considered the BCM Mod 0 Comp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephantrider
07-07-16, 07:55
OP, You mentioned lightweight.. How much are you willing to pay for it? http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/collections/muzzle-devices/products/v-seven-ti-flash-hider

^ "NOT A FLASH HIDER" ^ FYI

I've played with the Battlecomp, and while it does help a bit with controlability, I did not care for the downward push that it creates. The A2 does the same push, but not as bad as the BC, since it is closed on the bottom 180 degrees.

I went with a flash hider that has some downward facing slots to help balance it out.
https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/muzzle-devices/daniel-defense-flash-suppressor-assembly.html

MistWolf
07-07-16, 11:28
Over the years, I've found the Battlecomp to be a good balance of controlling muzzle rise, flash suppression and blast on a 16 inch barrel. On a 20 inch barrel, flash and blast is a tick more than with the A2 but there is push compared to the shorter barrels. On a 10.5 inch barrel, it really keeps the muzzle down but flash is big and the blat loud. Most folks who notice muzzle dip are those with a more aggressive shooting stance. I love my Battle comps in both 5.56 and 7.62.

The A2 is cheap and effective. All in all, I say get the A2, shoot the rifle and see where it takes you

TheNegativeOne
07-09-16, 14:48
I noticed quite a difference between the a2 and the bcm mod 0. Give that a try, its like $100.

03rone
07-15-16, 01:54
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/ a good read/watch. They even have a part2 where they try other muzzle devices.

My recent build with a complete BCM upper came with the mod 0, haven't shot it yet as I'm still waiting for the rest of my parts to come in, but if I was to change it I'd probably pick from one of the muzzle devices from this shoot out. It's the only quantifiable comparison I can find on the web, all other comparison's are based on the reviewers "perception". At least here the approach was scientific'ish.

Scoby
07-15-16, 08:52
If your goal is flash suppression, stick with the A2. If you are looking more for a compensator, the BC will be much better. While there are better comps on the market, they tend to blow massive flame. The BC does a pretty good job of taming flash, not up to A2 levels, but better than a lot of other comps on the market.

ETA- The Battle Comp works well enough that if you are doing rapid fire 3 or 4 round engagements, you will feel the muzzle dip down a bit. Kinda odd the first couple times you play blaster man, but it is very controllable.

Agree. The BC works very well on a 7.62 x 51 rifle.

PrivateCitizen
07-15-16, 10:08
With any new setup I'd start A2 as long as it is an option (not pinning). See where it goes. Be given a reason for deviation rather than inventing one.

The only non-A2 I have anymore is a Griffin FlashComp.

elephantrider
07-15-16, 11:07
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/ a good read/watch. They even have a part2 where they try other muzzle devices.

My recent build with a complete BCM upper came with the mod 0, haven't shot it yet as I'm still waiting for the rest of my parts to come in, but if I was to change it I'd probably pick from one of the muzzle devices from this shoot out. It's the only quantifiable comparison I can find on the web, all other comparison's are based on the reviewers "perception". At least here the approach was scientific'ish.

That is not such a good idea, since that test only dealt with one aspect of the muzzle device characteristics.

03rone
07-15-16, 12:24
That is not such a good idea, since that test only dealt with one aspect of the muzzle device characteristics.

Which is the amount of rearward movement each device had. I agree its not "complete" but I think it goes beyond most reviews. If there was a test to quantify and compare muzzle device performance on a x,y&z axis. I believe that would be best in terms of knowing what you are paying for when purchashing that device. Or atleast have a base line of expectation.

Until then muzzle device comparisons will be too subjective via web, and youll only get some type of info after purchasing and trying out different devices, which can be costly. So unless I want to spend the extra cash to try out all these devices, the review above atleast gave me an idea of what to expect for my money atleast on 1 axis. Which to me is a better starting point, vs reviews that dont quantify results.

HansTheHobbit
07-15-16, 12:51
There's really no big secret to flash hiders or muzzle brakes. They all do about the same thing in terms of performance, it's just a give and take. The more braking capability you have, the brighter the flash and the louder the report. My personal feeling is to go for one or the other, i.e. a pure FH or pure brake. As far as hybrid devices go, the A2 is REALLY good at what it does, which is why it's so ubiquitous and so heavily copied. It has a slight mitigating effect for muzzle climb, although its primary purpose is reducing dust signature, and it gets rid of 90 plus % of flash. Really, there's no better hybrid device for the AR than the A2. The battle comp gives you a little more reduction in muzzle climb, but it's also much louder and doesn't have any discernible effect on flash. I think you can do much better by going with a pure brake, which will totally eliminate muzzle climb and recoil without much more negative sides effects than the battle comp. For the AR, if you're going to use a brake, then I think it only makes sense if it totally eliminates recoil, as there's not much recoil to begin with. JMHO, of course,YMMV.

One thing that's not up for debate, though, is using brakes indoors without hearing protection. If you're going to be using this gun for potential home defense, then don't even think about it. Firing a .223 with a brake in a hallway has a very good chance of blowing out an eardrum. Even with hearing protection, brakes can still do some damage in the long term, so be sure to double up when at the range if you decide on a brake.

PrivateCitizen
07-15-16, 15:50
There's really no big secret to flash hiders or muzzle brakes. They all do about the same thing in terms of performance, it's just a give and take. The more braking capability you have, the brighter the flash and the louder the report. My personal feeling is to go for one or the other, i.e. a pure FH or pure brake. As far as hybrid devices go, the A2 is REALLY good at what it does, which is why it's so ubiquitous and so heavily copied. It has a slight mitigating effect for muzzle climb, although its primary purpose is reducing dust signature, and it gets rid of 90 plus % of flash. Really, there's no better hybrid device for the AR than the A2. The battle comp gives you a little more reduction in muzzle climb, but it's also much louder and doesn't have any discernible effect on flash. I think you can do much better by going with a pure brake, which will totally eliminate muzzle climb and recoil without much more negative sides effects than the battle comp. For the AR, if you're going to use a brake, then I think it only makes sense if it totally eliminates recoil, as there's not much recoil to begin with. JMHO, of course,YMMV.

One thing that's not up for debate, though, is using brakes indoors without hearing protection. If you're going to be using this gun for potential home defense, then don't even think about it. Firing a .223 with a brake in a hallway has a very good chance of blowing out an eardrum. Even with hearing protection, brakes can still do some damage in the long term, so be sure to double up when at the range if you decide on a brake.

Clarification:

Comp: refraction of blast up reducing rise
Brake: refraction of blast back reducing perceived recoil

The Battlecomp is the former.

elephantrider
07-16-16, 00:37
Which is the amount of rearward movement each device had. I agree its not "complete" but I think it goes beyond most reviews. If there was a test to quantify and compare muzzle device performance on a x,y&z axis. I believe that would be best in terms of knowing what you are paying for when purchashing that device. Or atleast have a base line of expectation.

Until then muzzle device comparisons will be too subjective via web, and youll only get some type of info after purchasing and trying out different devices, which can be costly. So unless I want to spend the extra cash to try out all these devices, the review above atleast gave me an idea of what to expect for my money at least on 1 axis. Which to me is a better starting point, vs reviews that dont quantify results.

You are missing the point a bit. It's not that they just looked at rearward movement and not vertical/lateral stability, but that they ignored a host of other aspects that apply to any muzzle device. That test is an excellent data point fore rearward recoil characteristics, but that is all. In addition to muzzle rise/dip and lateral stability, other things to consider are: muzzle flash characteristics, sound/blast perceived by the shooter, sound blast perceived by observers or fellow shooters, and any back pressure added to the gas system.

There are other device 'round-up tests' out there, and when you look at each one with a critical eye you can get a pretty good idea of how each device works with respect to upsides and downsides.

elephantrider
07-16-16, 00:48

The battle comp "reduces" muzzle rise so much that it actually makes the muzzle dip to the point that you have to alter your hold to compensate for it. It also adds back pressure to the gun, adds some muzzle blast and sound, and handles flash with mediocre to poor performance. It has been surpassed by newer hybrid devices IMO.

You do get a lot for the ~$9 that an A2 sets you back. Very acceptable performance.