PDA

View Full Version : Needing more lubrication?

07-09-16, 09:04
I purchased my first M4 about 2 months ago. After I took possession of it, I thoroughly cleaned it and lubed it with Breakfree CLP and using the PDF that's floating around of what and where to lube, along with how much.

It's sat in my safe for the two months and now I'm going to be taking it out today to fire for the first time. I noticed that much of the areas that were lubed "generously" now looks like it has either dripped off or dried up...or something. I'm mostly talking about the bolt carrier.

Should I relube it with the Breakfree CLP before I go shooting today, or is the CLP still protecting it with a thin film of something?

Thanks!

scooter22
07-09-16, 09:06
It would probably be fine without lubing, but lube it anyway. Always lube before shooting, if possible.

07-09-16, 09:22
It would probably be fine without lubing, but lube it anyway. Always lube before shooting, if possible.

Thank you very much!!! I will do that then.

ExplorinInTheWoods
07-09-16, 10:01
AR's like to be wet, lube it up and go. People will tell you that you can over lube it and it will get dust all over it but wipe it off and put more on it. An AR can be dirty as crap but if you lube it that gun will run. Friction is what keeps it from running.

MegademiC
07-09-16, 10:48
A squirt of clp in the bcg lube hole wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'd just shoot it and if you have a problem, wet it down.

Fwiw, I've never seen a gun fail from too much lube, but I "fixed" 2 guys guns with a couple drops.

wildcard600
07-09-16, 11:24
AR's like to be wet, lube it up and go. People will tell you that you can over lube it and it will get dust all over it but wipe it off and put more on it. An AR can be dirty as crap but if you lube it that gun will run. Friction is what keeps it from running.

A squirt of clp in the bcg lube hole wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'd just shoot it and if you have a problem, wet it down.

Fwiw, I've never seen a gun fail from too much lube, but I "fixed" 2 guys guns with a couple drops.

Exactly, if it doubt just use some more. Theres no way to "overlubricate" short of dunking the whole rifle in a barrel of oil and even that might not affect it any.

wigbones
07-09-16, 11:49
I also use CLP and it always seems to dry up a bit when left in a rifle bag for a while. I always lube it again the evening before I go shooting.

samuse
07-09-16, 14:23
It's all in the buffer tube. Pull the BCG, slather it down and go shoot. It's gonna sling off what it doesn't need in first couple of rounds anyway.

The_War_Wagon
07-09-16, 14:37
Lube it 'til it's dripping... then add a little more. :cool:

odugrad
07-09-16, 17:34
It's better to have too much of something you need than too little.

I remember watching a video with LAV not long ago where you dunked a DDM4 in a tub of oil, pulled it out, and shot it no problem.

jmoore
07-09-16, 19:38
Wetter is better:)

john

KeithTexas
07-10-16, 22:39
I put a little Lucas RednTacky on the 4 contact points on the bcg followed with some MPro7 LX.
The steel seems to absorb them both initially, but re-slickens (is that a word?) after shooting a mag or so.

kirkland
07-11-16, 18:03
My AR is a sloppy bitch that likes to run wet. Slather her with some Mobil 1 and she'll be good to go for a long time.

KeithTexas
07-11-16, 19:30
My AR is a sloppy bitch that likes to run wet. Slather her with some Mobil 1 and she'll be good to go for a long time.

Yup. I mentioned the MPro just because I thought I'd try it.
It's good, but a little grease plus the Mobil 1, Castrol Transmax ATF, etc. are plenty good too.