PDA

View Full Version : Med profile 16in midlength barrels

Mav
07-09-16, 10:35
Why arent there any options for a 4150 medium profile taper barrel with a mid length gas? Daniel Defense makes one supposedly but I cant seem to find one in stock anywhere. I saw that BCM makes a 14.5in medium profile barrel but not a 16. I've also seen plenty of stainless barrels with a SPR type profile but again no 4150 medium profile barrels. Im dying for one to use for a RECCE build. Is the market just not there for these types of barrels?

Torquetard
07-09-16, 10:57
PWS makes a 16" medium contour, so does Sionics.

bad aim
07-09-16, 11:01
Centurion Arms also (or used to?) make a medium contour, too, IIRC.

GH41
07-09-16, 11:02
Define medium profile taper.

Mav
07-09-16, 11:57
Medium profile as in a thicker profile than a pencil barrel and tapered from thicker by the chamber to it's skinniest to the muzzle. Something more akin to the Daniel defense s2w profile.

The scionics looks promising if the accuracy is there. A melonite/nitride finish would be ideal as well.

turnburglar
07-09-16, 12:14
Bcm light and medium weight ELW profile is thicker in the chamber and tapers out. Smartest profile, don't know why it took so long.

jackblack73
07-09-16, 12:47
Bcm light and medium weight ELW profile is thicker in the chamber and tapers out. Smartest profile, don't know why it took so long.

The EMW is not available in 16" though.

misfit47
07-09-16, 13:15
That seems like the most useful contour to run. I don't understand why the "gov" profile is made. The taper profile should be a piece of cake to crank out just like the gov pattern.

PrivateCitizen
07-09-16, 13:28
Government profile/M4 just has the additional cut-out forward of the front sight base to accommodate the M203. I doubt it serves any other purpose.

misfit47
07-09-16, 13:34
That's the m4 contour. Gov is the A2 style. Heavy front, skinny under handguard.

TheNegativeOne
07-09-16, 14:33
Ive always perfered the socom barrel. Id have it on all my rifles if i could.

Mav
07-09-16, 14:52
Id settle for a socom profile barrel if they came with a midlength gas. The Daniel Defense S2W seems to be the only barrel that checks all the boxes unfortunatley for me (CHF, Nitride, Midlength, Tapered medium profile). I wish BCM would make their EMW in 16, i cannot fathom why they dont. The scionics may be a place holder for the time being until DD makes more or bcm decides to make some.

Ron3
07-09-16, 15:27
Armalite has medium profile barrel/uppers/rifles.

Off memory, I think they are 1:9, chrome lined, med. Gas length. I don't recall if 4140 or 4150, but I don't think that matters, generally.

Biggy
07-09-16, 16:32
Ballistic Advantage has their Hanson profile 16 " inch mid-gas barrel with a .750 gas block that weighs in at 27 oz. More info on it here : http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-hanson-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

MJN1957
07-09-16, 17:06
I'll just leave this here:

DD 5.56, S2W, 16" Mid-Gas, In Stock (http://wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=11129447)

Good to deal with, fast shipping, grab it if you want it before I do.

I've ordered 10+ uppers with that barrel from DD for local LE. All have been reliable, 1 MOA accurate with decent ammo, and minimal zero shift when hot.

TheNegativeOne
07-09-16, 17:10
Id settle for a socom profile barrel if they came with a midlength gas. The Daniel Defense S2W seems to be the only barrel that checks all the boxes unfortunatley for me (CHF, Nitride, Midlength, Tapered medium profile). I wish BCM would make their EMW in 16, i cannot fathom why they dont. The scionics may be a place holder for the time being until DD makes more or bcm decides to make some.

I dont think youre "settling" with sionics. From what ive read around the web they do it right.

03rone
07-14-16, 20:25

Just curious as to why a medium profile? Weight issue? The BCM BFH 16" Mid Length (ENHANCED LIGHT WEIGHT) Barrel, Stripped (.625) is 1lb 6oz VS the BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length (ENHANCED MEDIUM WEIGHT - FLUTED) Barrel, Stripped (.750) at 1lb 10oz.

or is it accuracy issue, or just want to use .750 gas block?

Mav
07-14-16, 20:43
Accuracy and less poi shift when it gets warm.

crusader377
07-15-16, 12:15
Although it is not a midlength, I have been extremely impressed with my BCM 16" Socom profile barrel combined with H2 buffer. Very soft shooter even with full pressure 5.56 loads while having great reliability with lighter .223 loads. It also has very good accuracy, its priced competitively, and built by a company who has a well documented record of producing high quality rifles.

Mav
07-15-16, 14:13
dont have to sell me on BCM, I have a couple of their complete uppers and a bunch of their other parts. What kind of accuracy are you seeing with the BCM socom barrel?

Jsp10477
07-16-16, 13:14
http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/4307

If nitride is an option this may work. I have one of his 18" barrels and am happy with it. Keep check on his site and order when you see them in stock because they usually sell out quickly.

MegademiC
07-16-16, 19:09
What is the od of a med contour?

Centurion lw barrels are very nice, I'll check taper and/or OD

Renegade04
07-17-16, 07:48
Is the LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrel what you guys are talking about?

http://www.larue.com/556-predatar-barrel

concreteguy
07-24-16, 13:13
http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/4307

If nitride is an option this may work. I have one of his 18" barrels and am happy with it. Keep check on his site and order when you see them in stock because they usually sell out quickly.

+1 for AR performance.

Sent from my buckeye using Tapatalk

Dirknar
07-24-16, 18:58
+1 for AR performance.

Wow, the price is right on those barrels! They look to tick all the right boxes, what kind of accuracy are you guys seeing? I'm very ingested in their 20" spr[style] contour.

Jsp10477
07-24-16, 21:36
If I get home from work early enough tomorrow, I'll shoot a 5x5 and post it instead of tossing out a number. Remember, you aren't buying a Kreiger or Bartlein. He explains the difference on his site.

http://ar15performance.com/faqs Scroll down a bit.

jerrysimons
07-25-16, 09:42
Noveske 16" CHF light-recce around 29oz. That DD S2W is more like a tapered heavy profile. I'd say Novekse is the ticket also Sionics (the accuracy is there and the gas-port much more modest than Noveske barrels)

crusader377
07-25-16, 12:30
dont have to sell me on BCM, I have a couple of their complete uppers and a bunch of their other parts. What kind of accuracy are you seeing with the BCM socom barrel?

My BCM is pretty new and I don't have many rounds through it yet and haven't done any formal accuracy tests. What I can tell you that the BCM Socom barrel combined with their standard PNT trigger is very solid in the accuracy department. I did shoot it at 50M and put 10rds into a quarter sized group using PMC X-TAC and this was with a fixed 3 power optic (Burris AR-332) and standard plastic handguard. I'm planning to put a freefloat rail and better optic on it and with match ammunition I'm confident it would be a 1 MOA or near 1MOA barrel.

Dirknar
07-25-16, 12:49
+1 for AR performance.

If I get home from work early enough tomorrow, I'll shoot a 5x5 and post it instead of tossing out a number. Remember, you aren't buying a Kreiger or Bartlein. He explains the difference on his site.

http://ar15performance.com/faqs Scroll down a bit.

Cool! Well, i really like his honesty on the website. Im sure his barrels would suit me just perfectly. Coyotes and rockchucks at 600 yards are pretty small targets anyways.. i much prefer 2 to 300yrds haha

Mav
07-25-16, 14:59
Wow, never heard of them but that looks almost exactly like what I'm looking for. May have to do some more digging for reviews on them but that seems promising.

Jsp10477
07-25-16, 19:16

A buddy met me at my parents place and loaned me a fixed 20x swfa ss scope to shoot these groups. I shot these prone off a bipod and rear bag. No wind today and I seemed to hold steadier than usual. 69gr smk over 24.7 gr of varget. If you notice, the group's were starting to open up on the 5th group. I didn't keep an exact time between groups, long enough to walk the 100 yards and back while shootin the breeze.

Nothing really special about the rifle. Arp barrel, bcm upper, bcm 15" alpha, Daniel Defense lpk, SSA-E trigger, bcm reciever extension, Daniel Defense bcg, and an Anderson stripped lower.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics
ETA: thumbnail pic is the description of this barrel from his site.

ISiman/oh
07-25-16, 20:38

A buddy met me at my parents place and loaned me a fixed 20x swfa ss scope to shoot these groups. I shot these prone off a bipod and rear bag. No wind today and I seemed to hold steadier than usual. 69gr smk over 24.7 gr of varget. If you notice, the group's were starting to open up on the 5th group. I didn't keep an exact time between groups, long enough to walk the 100 yards and back while shootin the breeze.

Nothing really special about the rifle. Arp barrel, bcm upper, bcm 15" alpha, Daniel Defense lpk, SSA-E trigger, bcm reciever extension, Daniel Defense bcg, and an Anderson stripped lower.

With you posting this I wish I could return my 18" stainless barrel from PSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrigandTwoFour
07-25-16, 20:49
I didn't see it mentioned, but Criterion makes a 4150 hybrid profiled (thick to thin) barrel in 16" mid with 1/8 twist and Wylde chamber.

http://criterionbarrels.com/barrels/ar-15/ar-15-hybrid

Available in a slightly heavier .750 profile at the gas block, from Brownells (2.02 lbs)
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar15-m16-criterion-barrels-prod54733.aspx

Or a .625 profile at the gas block, from Midwest Industries (1.63 lbs), pic below
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1309

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/C16HYB_barrel.jpg

Dirknar
07-25-16, 21:09

Thank you for taking the time and posting this! Great help! Looks like great accuracy to me.. definetly minute of coyote.

Jsp10477
07-26-16, 07:27
You're welcome.