PDA

View Full Version : Winchester "Desert Defender"

Slater
07-09-16, 13:46
Compared to the likes of Remington, Mossberg, Benelli, etc., Winchester shotguns are somewhat under the radar. This is their so-called "Desert Defender" which (IIRC) was introduced at this year's SHOT Show. Interestingly, Winchester's website lists this particular finish as already discontinued.

Comes with an installed choke and fiber optic (removable) front sight. Not exactly sure what type of tan finish has been applied. It's made in Turkey, so possibly their process consists of a rattlecan and an oven :D. It does have a chromed barrel and chamber, though.

Haven't heard Winchesters really referred to as "hard use" shotguns, but it's a decent HD and range blaster gun.

Anyone have any positive/negative experiences with this brand?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/HPIM1661_zpsyk2iutbt.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/HPIM1661_zpsyk2iutbt.jpg.html)

JasonB1
07-09-16, 19:56
Haven't seen the new ones, but it appears to be laid out like the 1200/1300. If so, the safety and bolt release are located great for right handers and the spring loaded bolt carrier group makes for a very fast cycling pump.

Slater
07-10-16, 10:26
I was curious as to the differences (if any) between the older 1300 series and this newer SXP iteration. This is from an "American Hunter" article:

The 1300 was made in the New Haven, Conn., Winchester plant until it closed in January 2006. At the time, Winchester management agreed with the union not to make the 1300 for three years. Winchester re-engineered the gun, renamed it, and found a Turkish vendor to produce it. Those guns are coming into the country now in 3-inch, 12-gauge, both as an 18-inch, cylinder-bored Defender model and a field gun with a 26- or 28-inch barrel. My test gun was a field model with a 28-inch barrel.

The SXP is not a Turkish-designed gun with an American brand. It’s a gun made to Winchester’s specifications in Turkey. The new gun combines the lines of the popular Super X3 semi-auto, the old fast-pumping action, and several significant improvements over the old model. Says Glenn Hatt, Winchester product manager: “This gun will function better than any 1300 ever made.”

Available in black synthetic, the 1300 takes styling cues from the Super X3. The stock has the X3’s semi-Cubist pattern of lines and planes. Red W’s here and there decorate the stock and receiver, and it even has replicas of the X3’s Quadra-Vent in the forearm. Of course, gas vents on a pump serve no purpose; they’re like the chromed, fake vent holes on the sides of 1950s cars.

More significantly, the SXP has the X3’s rib profile and stock dimensions, a near-parallel comb arrangement that fits many shooters. It also has the soft “Inflex” recoil pad with a hard insert on the heel found on the X3 and Browning Maxus semi-autos. The barrel is bored to Browning’s standard overbore of .742, and the gun takes Invector-Plus chokes.

Among the changes to improve the durability of the SXP is the elimination of the distinctive “fishtail,” V-shaped joint between the head of the stock and the rear of the receiver. The new straight-line joint is much stronger, while the receiver itself is made of aircraft-grade aluminum that is tougher than the impact-extruded aluminum of the old guns. Inside, the action bars and the plate upon which the bolt sits have been made from three pieces into one. Not only does that make the gun much easier to take apart—you can remove the action bars and bolt as one piece—it eliminates a source of wiggle and wear that was a weakness of the old design.

JasonB1
07-10-16, 13:11
I hadn't noticed the V joint deletion. Never could understand that one since it seemed to add complexity to manufacturing and IMO didn't look very good either.

Didn't notice it in that write up, but the chromed chamber and bore of the Turkish guns may be a plus as well.

williejc
07-13-16, 21:55
FN of Belgium owns Winchester and Browning, and this shotgun is made under their supervision. The same gun without the desert finish is sold in box stores for way under $300. Browning does the service on this shotgun and any other sporting firearm and handgun sold under the name Fn or Winchester. I had a fancy finish Fn security shotgun costing more than twice as much as the plain Jane Winchester named version. Browning techs told me that it was made in the same factory as the
"cheap" one, and the only difference was that the barrel was made in Belgium. My guess is that it might be stamped made in Belgium but is actually made in Turkey. I could discern no difference between it and the cheap version.

For me if Fn makes it, then it's ok meaning that high standards with good quality control are in place. That's my bias. So, I'll tell you that this shotgun is good and backed by the best warranty in the business. For a Turkey product that's saying a lot.

strambo
07-19-16, 23:43
Shoulda called it the Dessert Defender and it would sell like hot cakes!

bjxds
07-20-16, 07:52
The SXP in general is a good value for the price. A buddy has had one for a couple of years now, clay shooting, hunting, range use, NO Hard use, and it functions well with a various loads. It is fast for a pump, but takes some getting use to.

If I was going to buy a an ALL Around pump gun, I would probably buy one. If I was looking for a dedicated HD pump gun it would be the 590A1.

It is NOT a Benelli, Beretta, Mossberg 590A1 or older 870, BUT for $350 bucks you get a good deal, it just depends what you are looking for?

locknload223
08-28-16, 10:47
Winchester is definitely under the radar. I have an older Ranger 120 and it has the smoothest action I've ever cycled, like butter. It was my first purchase and I'll never let it go.

austinN4
08-28-16, 11:28
I saw one of these (OP) factory new in FDE somewhere. I think it might have been Texas Gun Trader.

Found it on the Winchester site: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/sxp/sxp-dark-earth-defender.html
Looks like it and the Desert Defender are still being offered.

Turnkey11
08-28-16, 12:44
Still controlled feed? Thats my only gripe with my 1300 defender, might be handy if I ever fire my shotgun inverted off of a rope.

williejc
08-28-16, 17:10
As we speak, Academy in Central Texas has this Win security shotgun(desert brown)for $279.

austinN4
08-28-16, 18:04
As we speak, Academy in Central Texas has this Win security shotgun(desert brown)for $279.

Also, they are available in 12 and 20.

austinN4
08-31-16, 13:19
Looked at and handled one in "Dark Earth" today. Looks a bit light to my eyes but not too bad. At least they didn't put the red lettering on it the way they do on the black version. The lettering on the DE is black and looks good. The action felt solid but the stock set is plasticy and is a slightly darker shade than the metal parts. The web site says the LOP is 13.75 but it felt closer to 13 to me, which for me is a good thing.

I may get one for grins, but I don't really need another shotgun. And I believe Winchester has a rebate going on.