PDA

View Full Version : Not a bad year, so far....

multistage
07-09-16, 21:33
Kinda went a little HK nuts. But after going through every other handgun known to man, HKs are it.

Can't believe it only took me 20 odd years to discover the HK USP. Oh well, 1911s aren't a bad way to spend your youth.

HKGuns
07-09-16, 21:54
You done well sir.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-10-16, 14:33
Ausgezeichnet!!

samuse
07-10-16, 16:05
I traded a fleet of P2000s for Glock 19s. THAT was a dumb move....

Big A
07-10-16, 16:16
Just curious what made you choose these models over other offerings from HK? Was there something you didn't like about the P30, VP9, etc? Just wondering what went into your decision is all.

Blstr88
07-10-16, 16:26
I love my USP compacts too (I have one in 9 and .40) but I find they're too "big" to justify the low capacity. I wish someone would figure out a way to fit 15-rounds into a USP compact...which I find hard to believe isnt possible, as big as it is.

Love them otherwise though, hard to beat the feel of a USP in my opinion.

Kenneth
07-10-16, 17:09
^^^ that's the same thing I say about the HK45. You should be able to fit more then 10 in a mag. I mean the M&P45 and the FN hold what 13 and 15?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirectTo
07-10-16, 17:17
Same here. I had two and liked the way they shot (though not really the way they felt, or the mag prices), but the capacity is too low for the size and weight and away they went.

Nice collection you've got going though OP.

Blstr88
07-10-16, 17:27
G19, Sig P229 and even Beretta PX4 compact all hold 15 rounds...no reason USPc9 shouldnt too!

Again, all that said they are totally sweet pistols, hard to beat the options with safety/decocking lever too. The mags arent cheap but damn they are reliable, and personally I LOVE the european "under the trigger guard" ambi mag release versus your typical one-sided button.

If only they could cram 15-rounds into those magazines somehow....

Sweet collection you got there...just dont start down the long, dark P7 road.....theres no coming back from there!

SiGfever
07-10-16, 18:15
My USPc .40 is the smoothest shooting .40 that I have shot, definitely a keeper. Plus 12 rounds of .40 works for me along with the fact that it just feels right. Mine in a V1 with Meps (green front, yellow rear).

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-10-16, 22:02
The P2000 is my favorite pistol for edc tasks.

Rayrevolver
07-11-16, 11:44
There used to be a time when I shot more and "gun forum'd" less. Back then I had no money for anything other than ammo.

I will try HK one more time and see how we get along. Have one of these incoming which I am funding by selling 2 Glocks.

Pic stolen from hkpro:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachments/hk-handgun-talk/30276d1426974384-picking-up-new-usp-9-tactical-not-sd-12-hours-first-usp-img_0256-copy.jpg

Should have the muffler in a few months to screw on.

MountainRaven
07-11-16, 19:32
I love my USP compacts too (I have one in 9 and .40) but I find they're too "big" to justify the low capacity. I wish someone would figure out a way to fit 15-rounds into a USP compact...which I find hard to believe isnt possible, as big as it is.

Love them otherwise though, hard to beat the feel of a USP in my opinion.

Since when is 13 rounds "low capacity"?

It's the same capacity as a BHP or a G23, but it's not as aged as the BHP and it's a 9mm. Further, many folks download their Glock magazines by one round to make it easier to seat with the slide in battery (something no current or recent production H&K handgun suffers from), making the difference between a G19 and a P2000 or a USP9c one, single round.

^^^ that's the same thing I say about the HK45. You should be able to fit more then 10 in a mag. I mean the M&P45 and the FN hold what 13 and 15?

The FN is huge. If you think the USP 45 or G21 are big... you haven't played with the FN. And its 15-round magazine doesn't fit flush - the flush fitting magazines hold 14 rounds, which isn't much of an improvement over the G21 (13, 13-1), XD/XDm (13), or USP (12).

As for the M&P... there are 14-round magazines, but they're roughly the same length as 10-round 45 Auto 1911 magazines. And then there are 10-round magazines that fit flush. And they're only technically 10-round magazines in the same way an 8-round Wilson 47D is technically an 8-round magazine: Yes you can stuff the magazine to its listed capacity, but the magazine won't be happy about it - and you will need a loading tool to do it. And you'll get really sick of slapping (more like open palm striking) the magazine to get it to seat.

In essence, the HK45 10-round magazine is to the M&P45 10-round magazine as the 8-round Wilson Vickers Duty Magazine is to an 8-round Wilson Rogers 47D.

The H&K magazines are grossly over-engineered. They readily load to capacity and seat easily when fully-loaded. H&K designed their magazines to function 100% when loaded to capacity for years and years. S&W and Glock made theirs to hold as many rounds as possible, function and use be damned.

Kenneth
07-11-16, 19:54

It's the same capacity as a BHP or a G23, but it's not as aged as the BHP and it's a 9mm. Further, many folks download their Glock magazines by one round to make it easier to seat with the slide in battery (something no current or recent production H&K handgun suffers from), making the difference between a G19 and a P2000 or a USP9c one, single round.

The FN is huge. If you think the USP 45 or G21 are big... you haven't played with the FN. And its 15-round magazine doesn't fit flush - the flush fitting magazines hold 14 rounds, which isn't much of an improvement over the G21 (13, 13-1), XD/XDm (13), or USP (12).

As for the M&P... there are 14-round magazines, but they're roughly the same length as 10-round 45 Auto 1911 magazines. And then there are 10-round magazines that fit flush. And they're only technically 10-round magazines in the same way an 8-round Wilson 47D is technically an 8-round magazine: Yes you can stuff the magazine to its listed capacity, but the magazine won't be happy about it - and you will need a loading tool to do it. And you'll get really sick of slapping (more like open palm striking) the magazine to get it to seat.

In essence, the HK45 10-round magazine is to the M&P45 10-round magazine as the 8-round Wilson Vickers Duty Magazine is to an 8-round Wilson Rogers 47D.

The H&K magazines are grossly over-engineered. They readily load to capacity and seat easily when fully-loaded. H&K designed their magazines to function 100% when loaded to capacity for years and years. S&W and Glock made theirs to hold as many rounds as possible, function and use be damned.

Good train of thought and makes a lot of sense. I never really noticed it but the Hk45 does load easy with a full mag and a closed slide.

Talon167
07-11-16, 20:11

H&K designed their magazines to function 100% when loaded to capacity for years and years.

My USP45 mags have worked perfectly, despite putting up with some sh*tty conditions. After 12k though my USP, I don't think I've cleaned them once. Well, maybe once.... I actually don't remember but you get the point.

And, yes, they're easy to load on a closed slide.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/Cannons/CC_HET1_2014/PC287592b_zpsf457d160.jpg

williejc
07-11-16, 20:37
For several years I've owned a P2000 in 357 Sig and also bought a factory 40 S&W barrel. I like the P2000 for the same reasons as everybody else. However, I would not sell a Glock 19 to buy one. I can work on the Glock but would not attempt detail disassembly on the HK. This fact does not condemn the model. CDNN often has good deals on HK P2000 mags. Monitoring their website will pay off. When I bought mine, I sent customer service a copy of the dealer form to "register" the pistol with them for any needed service. This procedure was either suggested or required by them at the time.

Blstr88
07-11-16, 21:21

I guess you make a solid point - giving up 1 or 2 rounds over some similarly sized pistols is a fair trade off for increased reliability. Ive never had a single issue with an HK magazine...they are awesome.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-11-16, 22:18
Yeah I've never worried about my P2000 "only" holding 13 rounds. My G19 and G23 were really tight with the mags loaded to capacity. The fully loaded P2000 mags seat like a Glock mag that's downloaded by one round.

DirectTo
07-11-16, 23:24
S&W and Glock made theirs to hold as many rounds as possible, function and use be damned.
Yeah, you're always hearing about S&W and Glock mags just falling apart.

The fanboy is strong with this one.

w3453l
07-12-16, 16:23
I really like the P2000 also. I know I've mentioned this before, but everytime I go shooting the P2000 gets shot the most by far.

I have other guns that many would argue to say they are far more enjoyable to shoot (VP9 and Beretta 92), but they end up just laying there everytime.

To add to the point made about 13 round capacity: P30/VP9 15 round magazines work in the P2000 and P2000SK. I like to use the X-grip extensions in mine to avoid over inserting (not sure if it's a legitimate problem, but it doesn't hurt).

I know the 15 round mags extend a little, but for a carry gun they make a great spare. If you're going to carry a reload that minimal length difference in the spare 15 round mag vs 13 round isn't as significant as a gun with the longer grip in holster.

Blstr88
07-12-16, 16:58
I really like the P2000 also. I know I've mentioned this before, but everytime I go shooting the P2000 gets shot the most by far.

I have other guns that many would argue to say they are far more enjoyable to shoot (VP9 and Beretta 92), but they end up just laying there everytime.

To add to the point made about 13 round capacity: P30/VP9 15 round magazines work in the P2000 and P2000SK. I like to use the X-grip extensions in mine to avoid over inserting (not sure if it's a legitimate problem, but it doesn't hurt).

I know the 15 round mags extend a little, but for a carry gun they make a great spare. If you're going to carry a reload that minimal length difference in the spare 15 round mag vs 13 round isn't as significant as a gun with the longer grip in holster.

I did not know that! If they work in the p2000 i assume they'll work in the USP compact, since the p2000/uspc share mags too.

What are your thoughts on p2000 vs USP compact?

w3453l
07-12-16, 17:50
Yes they should work in the USP compact.

As for the USPc,

I have not shot one, but I have handled them numerous times at the store since I've always been teased to buy a USP of some type.

The grip texture is a little more aggressive on the USPc than the P2000. Although I wouldn't say it's painfully aggressive if that makes any sense (I don't suppose that it would be uncomfortable worn under a shirt.

The P2000's slicker grip makes it comfortable to wear under a shirt; your skin won't get scratched.

The P2000 does have three back straps to choose from for the grip; the USPc does not. Mine has the med sized back strap that came installed; I still haven't tried the othe sizes, but the USPc's grip felt a tiny bit bigger than the P2000 with med back strap.

The P2000 is more streamlined vs the USPc. I'd imagine the USPc would be more prone to printing. I haven't measured them on a scale, but the USPc feels a bit heavier. Whatever the difference in weight, it is marginal so I wouldn't dismiss a USPc solely on weight.

My P2000 is a V2 LEM. I really like it, but I know that generally people either hate it or love it. It takes some adjustment to learn it, but I don't find it to be as difficult to get down as most critics of the LEM make it seem. From my experience of having other shooters try the P2000: the ones that understand the purpose of the trigger and how it's supposed to be shot have a much higher appreciation of it. Regardless of how well they shoot it they see the potential in how good of a defensive/carry gun it is once the LEM learning curve is through.

This brings me to say that with the USPc you have more trigger options. I believe there is even a match LEM hybrid. There is no match trigger for the P2000 as far as I know.

The USPc has a proprietary light rail, but adapters exist. The P2000 has a standard light rail.

The P2000 is almost identical to a Glock 19 in size, and I found that the Glock 19 printed more for me. I mention this because one of the biggest praises of the Glock 19 is its size. The USPc may be slightly larger than a Glock 19 (I haven't looked at Glocks in a while, but I had a 19 that I compared with my P2000 before selling it).

I think I covered it all. To sum it up, they are very similar although I'd give the edge to the P2000 if you're going to use it for carry. The only real plus I can see in the USPc vs P2000 is that match trigger option (if that's a big deal to you). Then again everyone's body, method of carry, dress &c are different, so concealing the USPc may be easy for you. I know that some people even carry the full size USP's without any trouble.

Blstr88
07-18-16, 14:55
I ordered and received two P30 mags today along with the X-grip...I cant believe I didnt know about that earlier! Love it. The mags barely stick out anymore than the standard mag with pinky extension anyway, and even though the +2 rounds isnt much its much more fitting for a pistol of this size I think. I put 15 rounds through the USPc from each mag today, no issues of course!

Blstr88
07-18-16, 18:37
Just for reference, incase anyone is wondering. Both USP compacts, one with the normal USP mag with pinky rest and the other with P30 mag/Xgrip

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/Mobile%20Uploads/AAAAB28F-51EF-4CBA-820A-7990F69900F9_zps4hpxyqjm.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/Blstr88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/AAAAB28F-51EF-4CBA-820A-7990F69900F9_zps4hpxyqjm.jpg.html)
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/Mobile%20Uploads/DB313188-EA94-4208-AC35-1D8CC29E01C1_zpsdpw3qmfj.jpg (http://s271.photobucket.com/user/Blstr88/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DB313188-EA94-4208-AC35-1D8CC29E01C1_zpsdpw3qmfj.jpg.html)

Arik
07-18-16, 20:08
The only HK I sold was a P2000 9mm. That trigger was just bad, very very bad, heavy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

samuse
07-18-16, 22:05
The only HK I sold was a P2000 9mm. That trigger was just bad, very very bad, heavy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I used to shhot a V3 P2000 and I always said 'If the trigger was as good as the decocker, it'd be a great pistol!'.

Five_Point_Five_Six
07-18-16, 22:30
Light LEM with the heavy TRS is my preferred HK trigger.

Pappabear
07-19-16, 00:04
I believe the legendary reliability is in large part due to the mags. A quick study or comparison of HK mags to any other is an eye opener. They wreak of quality.

I must admit I send my triggers to Bill Springfield to get "reset screw" put in back of trigger like you see in the Experts or other premium HK's. And yes, light LEM is my favorite. The HK45C has one of their best factory triggers. Don't ask me why. PB

Rayrevolver
07-19-16, 13:47
I just converted my USP9T to the "Hybrid" Match LEM. This uses the light LEM TRS + Match Flat Spring + Match HS. Note that the newer USP Tacticals do NOT come with match springs, just the match trigger and hammer.

nova3930
07-19-16, 14:46
One thing not in the collection right now is an HK. May need to rectify that soon. The USPs have a certain aesthetic that's very pleasing. Outside of vintage war rifles I was having a hard time directing my collection lately but now I know which way to go.

I like mine thus far but you're right, it's one big damn pistol. Enormous even. End of the day, packing a lot requires a big gun. 15 rounds of 45 ACP, suppressor ready and RMR ready.....