PDA

View Full Version : Wtf - lower pin slid out

tb417
09-01-08, 02:10
***WARNING About to show my obvious lack of knowledge!***

So I finally took my new Stag 2L out to the range today. I took her out of my case as proud as a new father, even took the far left spot so as not to hit anyone with my spent cases. After 15 rounds or so (firing 3 shots at a time to attempt to zero my buis.) I brought her to shoulder, flipped off my safety and squeezed the trigger, only to have nothing happen.

After performing all failure to fire drills I could think of, I noticed the one of the pins (the lower one) had slid to the left and popped down and back into the receiver. After about an hour of uneducated "Field Surgery" I got it back into place. Then went about 100 rounds without incident.

So I now ask those more familiar than I, "Is this something that commonly happens?" "How do I prevent this?" and "Is this what the 'Anti-Walk' thing you guys keep writing about is?"

Sorry I only ask questions and don't really contribute, but I don't really have enough knowledge in this area. But if you ever need electrical advice...

Thank you in advance,

Tom

Iraqgunz
09-01-08, 02:42
By "lower" pin I assume you mean the trigger pin? It helps to do some research of the parts and their names when asking for help (plenty of resources online) so that you can get the right info.

I would check that the hammer spring is installed correctly (the legs should go over the trigger pin) not under as some people tend to do when the have taken their lowers apart and then reassembled.

I highly suggest that you get some resource material and get yourself up to speed on the weapon, parts, cycle of operation, etc....

Parabellum9x19mm
09-01-08, 02:46
if its a brand new factory rifle, I'd contact Stag. where did you buy this rifle by the way? it sounds VERY suspect. have hard time believing this could happen on a brand new rifle, but i guess i'll believe anything at this point, because i've had some back luck myself with quality control.

fire control group pins (hammer and trigger pins) shouldn't fall out like that. from your description it sounds like the trigger pin.

does it have a standard milspec trigger? because if it does, that trigger pin goes through a trigger and disconnector, which in turn holds the disconnector spring in place between the disconector and the trigger. if your pin walked out, you need to make sure you threaded the needle properly and that the disconnector spring is back in place.

if its a 2 stage trigger, there isn't a separate disconnector and spring. if its a 2 stage it could be standard "two piece" type like a GA, RRA, LMT, Jard....or it could be a "cassette" type like Timney, CMC.....for the cassette type trigger groups you definitely want KNS FCG pins so everything stays in place and your pins dont spin and egg out your FCG pin holes in your lower.

since it fired another 100 apparently, however it happens to be set up, it seems you got it working again...but for future reference, and i'm not trying to flame here: if you have a serious failure like that and you don't even know the names of the parts affected or have any concept of how the weapon operates, it might not be a good idea to just try to monkeywrench things together goonsmith style, pull the trigger and hope for the best.

would be a better idea to have someone who is competent un-f*ck your rifle for you and make sure everything is kosher and GTG before you try to send 100 more downrange.

either the lower is out of spec, the lower parts (at least the FCG pins) are out of spec, or the receiver is very very worn. obviously those pins shouldn't just slide out. especially on a brand new rifle after 15 rounds.

if it is a brand new weapon you should have just packed it up for the day and called Stag, especially if you really have no knowledge of the AR. just telling it like it is. if that happened to me on a brand new factory complete lower, i wouldn't try to fix it on the spot. somethings obviously screwed up, have them make it right. and BTW, that totally sucks, i hope you figure it out.

good luck, be safe!

Iraqgunz
09-01-08, 07:13
After thinking about this a little longer here is what you should do.

1. Contact Stag Arms and explain the situation.

2. Advise them that you would like to send the weapon back to them for further examination.

3. If this is indeed a new weapon as you state and you start messing around with it you may screw up any warranty that you have. Especially since you have a very limited knowledge of the weapon and its parts.

4. There could be a number of things going on here. LPK is not properly installed, incorrect parts, etc...although again we are talking about a new weapon, it can still happen.

5. I would be very hesitant to take it to local "gunsmith" for a few reasons. He may not know Jack S. Shit about the AR, and since the weapon is new it should be under some type of warranty and you should not have to pay to have a weapon fixed that should have been GTG out of the box.