PDA

View Full Version : COLT 2000 9MM

williejc
07-10-16, 21:30
Recently I saw(under glass)a Colt 2000 pistol from the 1990's. I was told that Colt introduced this model to compete in the l.e. market, but it failed due to reliability and accuracy problems. This one's owner compared it to a Hi-Point. Anyway, he sold it for a nice sum. I don't understand why Colt would put a turkey on the market when they already knew it was a turkey. Does anyone here have trigger time on he 2000?

Eurodriver
07-11-16, 05:38
Interesting. I had never heard of this pistol before this thread. A quick Google search revealed it was designed by Reed Knight and Eugene Stoner. Wikipedia has Massad Ayoob quoted as saying it had "pathetic accuracy".

The_War_Wagon
07-11-16, 06:34
Awww yeahhhhhhh... I remember that boat anchor. U2 even wrote a song about it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJYyPLKJcFc). :rolleyes:

cougar_guy04
07-11-16, 07:11
I don't know too much more than what's in Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_2000

If I remember correctly, the AA2000 is why a lot of Colt's museum is in Titusville, FL instead of Connecticut

Sam
07-11-16, 07:45
I handled one many many years ago. The trigger pull was the worst of all handgun I've ever felt. A high point had better trigger. lol.

DirectTo
07-11-16, 07:50
Wow, learn something new every day. This quote seems to say it best:

Colt historian, Rick Sapp, has called the pistol "one of the most embarrassing failures in the company's history."
But I have no doubts that given the time, someone will come in to say it's better than every Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, and H&K ever made because it has the oh so illustrious Colt name.

joe138
07-11-16, 07:50
I think there were actually two models. One was aluminum framed and the other was a sort of polymer. They both sucked. They were produced a little later than the Colt Double Eagle if memory serves. They were dirt cheap in shotgun new during the early to mid 90's.
I believe that one was the Colt 2000 and the other was the Colt All American or something like that.

p7fl
07-11-16, 11:12
Last time I looked the Colt 2000 was still on the USPSA approved Production gun list.

Coal Dragger
07-11-16, 17:45
Here is a video of this pile of rubbish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_RoFTWKAoY

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-11-16, 17:46
Neat gun. Lots of cool ideas but bad execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_RoFTWKAoY

PrivateCitizen
07-11-16, 17:47
It was a nasty 4-way between a 1911, CZ, P35 and a Glock. A product of the early 90s 'wonder nine' craze.

I have a cousin (guitar riff & twang goes here) that salivated over one second hand in a dealers case for months back in 96 or 97. I'd handled it in the era I was carrying a W. German P228. The Colt was dead-cat nasty. I made the obligatory effort to wave him off.

But, nope, he had to have it and ended up with it. I never did shoot it though.

Not sure what ever happened to it … but he never talks about it.

GregP220
07-11-16, 18:50
The gun magazines gushed so much over the top praise on this piece of crap. Made me stop reading gun magazines.

Now there are YouTube channels that will give "Thumbs Way Up" reviews for probably a lot less money.

wahoo95
07-11-16, 19:02
I had one briefly....it was a dog

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

okie john
07-13-16, 13:13
You have to understand where all of this came from.

By the 1980’s, Colt's glory days of selling revolvers to cops were long gone. They had quit making high-end revolvers like the Python and Diamondback, and their working-grade revolvers were basically junk. They still had two strong lines of business—1911s for the civilian market and M-16s for the DoD—but they had completely lost touch with what other buyers wanted.

The 9mm won the caliber wars when the DoD adopted the M-9 in 1985, so 1911 sales didn’t bring in the money that they had before. Also in that year, the UAW (Colt’s workforce) went out on a strike that lasted for 5 years, and quality control slipped so far that the DoD moved production of the M-16 rifle to Fabrique Nationale. Colt ended up selling the company to the UAW (oddly enough), investors, and the State of Connecticut. That’s the team that brought out the Double Eagle and the Colt 2000. Both were total failures, and Colt filed for bankruptcy in 1992.

I was in the gun business when the Colt 2000 came out. It had all the problems described, but it hit the market a decade or so after Glock, and its technology, reliability, and accuracy were far inferior. Even the S&W Sigma was a better choice, if that tells you anything. I got the impression that Colt expected the Colt name would save it, but that didn't happen.

Okie John

Eurodriver
07-13-16, 13:33
Thanks for the info.

Why would Reed Knight and Eugene Stoner be associated with a gun like that, though?

MountainRaven
07-13-16, 13:46
Thanks for the info.

Why would Reed Knight and Eugene Stoner be associated with a gun like that, though?

Sounds like they held patents and developed the prototypes, which were then sold to Colt and Colt took those patents and prototypes and screwed them up on the way to the production model.

Firefly
07-13-16, 16:25
Weren't these like really bad?

FlyingHunter
07-13-16, 19:07
Weren't these like really bad?

Yes. I had the misfortune of firing a few mags thru one. Think Hi-Point crossed with a Yugo with a trigger that reminds me of the emergency brake that was on my moms old chevy wagon mixed with reliability of a politician telling the truth...

Tomahawk_Ghost
07-13-16, 20:24
Forgotten Weapons did a review of this weapon. I think it malfunctioned on him during the review.

brushy bill
07-13-16, 20:35
The gun magazines gushed so much over the top praise on this piece of crap. Made me stop reading gun magazines.

Now there are YouTube channels that will give "Thumbs Way Up" reviews for probably a lot less money.

I'm not disputing what you posted, but I recall reading a lot of negative stuff at the time. I can't recall which rags, but especially derogatory remarks WRT reliability.

ramairthree
07-14-16, 01:28
I use one of these as my daily carry gun.

With a Beretta 9000s on my ankle and a Remington R51 in my pocket for back up guns.

Falar
07-15-16, 00:10
I use one of these as my daily carry gun.

With a Beretta 9000s on my ankle and a Remington R51 in my pocket for back up guns.

Damn, you got me and my Haskell/HI-POINT combination beat.

jyo
08-12-16, 02:04
I was in the retail firearms business when Colt released the 2000---the store owner was a heavy Colt fan and we received the first one in Kalifornia, what a POS! Bad trigger, bad reliability, not very accurate---a very unhappy pistol---worse, we field-stripped it to clean it and couldn't get it to go back together again! Had to send it back to Colt in pieces---it never came back...