PDA

View Full Version : Hydration Day Pack

shadow93
07-10-16, 23:13
I've been doing a lot more hiking and day long trips this year now that I'm done with school and am looking to pick up a hydration pack for single day trips somewhere around $100. I've been looking through the Camelbak line because that's the name that's pretty much synonymous with hydration packs to me. The Lobo and the Rogue look a little too small for me. The MULE looks like it would work good but looking at it, its seems like the hydration line would rub your neck after a day hike. The Rim Runner looks really nice but a 20L pack might be more than I need. I try to keep what I hike with as minimalist as possible. Anyone have any other good companies to look at or should I just decide between these packs?

zombiescometh
07-10-16, 23:46
I switched to geiger rig awhile back and couldn't be happier.
http://www.geigerrig.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

soulezoo
07-11-16, 10:51
I've run a number of MULE's over the years and had no issues like you describe. Just route the tube properly. Zip tie or speed tape accordingly. The only thing I didn't like about the MULE was the capacity being on the small side. But it sounds like that is what you want.

You live in an era blessed with a lot of good choices. Shop around. Camelbaks aren't the only game in town any longer.

shadow93
07-11-16, 11:19
Soulezoo, you are right. We live in an era with too many choices sometimes.

I might just look for a bag and buy the hydration bladder separate. Camelbak is just a know name that works and with packs that are worthwhile at a decent cost.
I have been looking at the Goruck Bullet 15L as well. It looks like a solid pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soulezoo
07-11-16, 14:56
Soulezoo, you are right. We live in an era with too many choices sometimes.

I might just look for a bag and buy the hydration bladder separate. Camelbak is just a know name that works and with packs that are worthwhile at a decent cost.
I have been looking at the Goruck Bullet 15L as well. It looks like a solid pack.

That is what I ended up doing. I bought a platypus 100oz bladder and stuck inside a pack I bought separately that was just the right size for me as a "one day" pack.

I spent $25 on the platypus and another $25 on the bag (clearance on DVOR). So I have a total of $50 invested. This was a fair amount (maybe 50-75%?) larger than the MULE and less than 1/2 the cost.
I should add that the pack I bought had a dedicated bladder compartment already.

austinN4
07-11-16, 15:18
I use one of these: http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/manta-ag-36-MANTA36_675.html

I really like the suspension system. You can use different hydration systems in it. I use the Osprey Hydraulics bags but prefer the CamelBak Big Bite valve to the the Osprey valve.

Just noticed it is almost double your price point. If you can wait for their Labor Day sale, you can likely pick one up for 20% off at REI. Also, the smaller versions are less $. All Ospreys have a lifetime warranty.

bad aim
07-11-16, 15:55
This LBX pack is perfect for day trips. Separate compartment for bladder, leaving plenty of room for other stuff. It can surprisingly swallow a huge load, but it still looks svelte and sleek.

http://lbxtactical.lbtinc.com/packs/backpacks/0064c.html

daniel87
07-11-16, 15:59
my rim runner is good.
just dont over load it, use a scale. it has straps to cinch the extra bulk

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Benito
07-11-16, 20:29
I love my Geigerrig. Source is pretty good too. Both of these are better than Camelbak, in my experience.

SeriousStudent
07-11-16, 20:37
I have found the Source bladders to be very easy to fill and to keep clean. I use them in all my hydration rigs, regardless of the pack maker.

Ledanek
07-12-16, 14:51
Source and Camelbak have some good reviews as far as easiest maintenance.
I used to drink from tube, but, now back to Nalgene and Platypus just for ease and conveniece.

beavo451
07-13-16, 00:04
Tactical Tailor removable operator pack is $87 on Amazon.

Tigereye
07-13-16, 06:01
Have you looked at the Hill People Gear Tarahumara? Might fit the bill.

BrigandTwoFour
07-13-16, 08:39
FWIW, GoRuck is having a sale on their Rucker packs (a slightly stripped down version of the awesome GR1) for $109 as part of a July sale

http://www.goruck.com/xij/c/99

shadow93
07-15-16, 21:26
I'm really stuck hard looking at the HPG Tarahumara, and the Goruck Bullet. I looked hard at the First Spear Comms Pack (small) but I'm thinking that will be a different niche for me than the others would. Has anyone run a hydration bladder with the Tarahumara? A bladder isn't necessary, I've never used one, I just thought for convenience's sake it might be nice.

BrigandTwoFour
07-16-16, 17:35
I'm really stuck hard looking at the HPG Tarahumara, and the Goruck Bullet. I looked hard at the First Spear Comms Pack (small) but I'm thinking that will be a different niche for me than the others would. Has anyone run a hydration bladder with the Tarahumara? A bladder isn't necessary, I've never used one, I just thought for convenience's sake it might be nice.

As much as I'm a fan of GoRuck's gear, I think the Tarahumara is the winner in your comparison. The Tarahumara looks less military/tactical, offers a few more external features useful for day hiking (pockets/lashing points), and has the more comfortable shoulder straps.

Though, if you're going for a more streamlined look, the Bullet has less straps hanging around the outside, a better thought out hydration pocket, practically bomb proof construction, and lets you use the molle on the outside.

What's more important to you?

Jellybean
07-17-16, 23:01
$100?
For $25 or so more you can get an AWS beaver-tail assault pack (if you want to risk ordering from their site. :p ). It's awesomesauce.
Can carry either a little stuff, or quite a pile, beavertail zips on/off if you don't want it.
Fits a 2L Source bladder just about exact.
Does fairly well with weight- had mine up to 18 lb, and it wasn't to bad. Shoulder straps maybe a little stiff, but if they don;t eventually break in, they're DIY replaceable with any shoulder straps that attach via 1" webbing.

http://www.awsin.com/proddetail.asp?prod=50657
The pictures on the site are junk.

shadow93
07-22-16, 19:00
Well I ended up ordering the Tarahumara today. When it gets here later this week I'll see how i like it. Hopefully I get it before GoRuck finished their Christmas in July sale and I can make a decision then. I might end up ordering a Source bladder to use in it as well.

noonesshowmonkey
08-08-16, 22:00
$100?
For $25 or so more you can get an AWS beaver-tail assault pack

This. A Yote is basically what you are describing in your needs. The beavertail can zip off, which is handy, and the actual pack itself is something like 12L. It will hold two 3L hydration pouches snugly, with a little bit of room for something soft stuffed in around them. The extra pockets / admin areas will fit some food, land nav gear, maybe a boo boo kit or the like, but not much else. All told, I've loaded mine up with something like 8L on board, plus some food.

It's small. You'll have to make choices. But, for what it is (hydration pack+), it's great.

Check out this thread at Light Fighter (http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/review-aws-inc-assault-pack-aka-yote) about them.

DANGER CLOSE
10-09-16, 22:27
I will concur with Jellybean!

Source Hydration for the WIN! I bought their 5l pack and use if for mountain biking and it holds my EDC, tool kit, spare air, and IFAK. I also buy the MSR inline filters from ebay. The bladder system and quick connects are amazing. I literally had a ceremony and dumped all my CamelBak stuff. The ASWIN Assault pack (get it without the strap kit) is so good that I just bought another one.

$100?
For $25 or so more you can get an AWS beaver-tail assault pack (if you want to risk ordering from their site. :p ). It's awesomesauce.
Can carry either a little stuff, or quite a pile, beavertail zips on/off if you don't want it.
Fits a 2L Source bladder just about exact.
Does fairly well with weight- had mine up to 18 lb, and it wasn't to bad. Shoulder straps maybe a little stiff, but if they don;t eventually break in, they're DIY replaceable with any shoulder straps that attach via 1" webbing.

Rattler5
10-10-16, 04:20
I have been using the 3 Liter military type camelbak for years and it works great.