PDA

View Full Version : AIMPOINT QUESTIONS

kattman
09-01-08, 07:54
Guys---new here and have some Aimpoint questions.

Years ago I had gone with the Aimpoint Comp M on most of my AR uppers. I then switched over to some Leupold CQT's and was running an EOTECH on a competition shotgun. After attending a Blackwater class using the CQT's, I switched over to all EOTECHs on my carbine uppers with the exception of one with an S&B SHORT-DOT. I recently attended a Larry Vickers class and have been swayed back into the Aimpoint style. I picked up a COMP M4S/LARUE combo and like it alot except for the $$$$$. I would need to get four more because of the five upper situation. I currently have five Aimpoint COMP M's (and five CQT's) in storage. My question or desire for input from you guys is if I should try to use the older COMP M's that I already have, or bite the bullet and go with newer style Aimpoints. I never kept up with the changing Aimpoint COMP's, M2/M3 versions. Was there problems with the older Comp M's that were corrected in later versions? Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Kattman from Michigan

Robb Jensen
09-01-08, 07:59
The newer the Aimpoint the better they are. I'd go with a M4S or a T1 depending on the size/weight of the gun. The most durable Aimpoint is the M4S. It has a battery life in excess of 70K hours or as Aimpoint has said, as long as the shelf life of the battery is.

Some of the most vigorous testing the M4S has passed including having a flash bang taped to one. You would be hard pressed to break one.

Parabellum9x19mm
09-01-08, 08:00
i live in Michigan too.

the M2s and M3s are junk. M4 and M4S are the only way to go.

because we're both Michiganders i'll haul away your five obsolete Aimpoints for free. I'll even remove your 5 CQ/Ts for a nominal fee :D

seriously tho, never tried the M4 CCOs, but i like the Micros a lot. i'm sure i'll like the M4 as well when i get to try one out eventually.

subzero
09-01-08, 08:50
M2 and M3 junk? Hey, send those junk Aimpoints to me. I'll pay shipping even.

As the Aimpoint moved from the Comp M to the M4 and Micro, the battery life got better with each successive model.

Comp M
7 or 10 MOA dot - 500 hour battery life

Comp ML2
4 MOA dot - 10000 hour battery life

Comp ML3
2 or 4 MOA dot - 50000 hour battery life

Comp M4
2 MOA dot - 80000 hour battery life

Micro H-1
4 MOA dot - 5 years of continuous use

I would sell the optics in storage and see about getting a deal for 5 ML2s or ML3s in Larue mounts. But that's me. I like the ML2 and ML3. I haven't played a lot with the M4, thanks to it's price point. I like the Micro, but not enough to justify the premium over the ML2 or ML3 unless it's for a specialized application (like riding on an Ultimak for an AK).

CarlosDJackal
09-01-08, 11:48
My favorite Aimpoint to date is the T-1 but I also own 2 M2s an a 2MOA M3. I hardly think that the M2s and M3s are "junk". In fact, I know of a SWAT Team who were forced to buy Eotechs by the bean counters who would be happy to take those "pieces-of-junk" off your hands for use on their Colt M-4s.

Anyone who would be willing to let go of these worthless sights can contact me directly. I'll even pay for the shipping and make sure that the Team gets the sights. :D

Parabellum9x19mm
09-01-08, 21:40
(nevermind)

rob_s
09-02-08, 07:44
i live in Michigan too.

the M2s and M3s are junk. M4 and M4S are the only way to go.

because we're both Michiganders i'll haul away your five obsolete Aimpoints for free. I'll even remove your 5 CQ/Ts for a nominal fee :D

seriously tho, never tried the M4 CCOs, but i like the Micros a lot. i'm sure i'll like the M4 as well when i get to try one out eventually.

I'm assuming this is an attempt at humor? ;)

Parabellum9x19mm
09-02-08, 09:00
a poor attempt at sarcastic humor...or an attempt to get some free aimpoints. either or :D