PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30 owners

Abel
07-11-16, 15:20
Might add a 30 gen 4 to my collection, looking for input from owners. It seems the 30 is quite an accurate gun among the glock lineup. Interested in the gen 4 model, and considering the 30s also. Will serve as a carry piece year round.

boombotz401
07-11-16, 15:27
Gen 4 30 here

Very accurate pistol, I'm more accurate with my 30 than any other model for some reason

Can't go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teutonicpolymer
07-11-16, 17:22
30s > 30 gen 4

Not an owner but almost was, and I vividly remember that the 30s is basically the G19 in size (or smaller if you had flush mags) while the full size slides were noticeably bigger and heavier

WickedWillis
07-11-16, 17:43
Gen 4 30 here

Very accurate pistol, I'm more accurate with my 30 than any other model for some reason

Can't go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is my experience with the Glock 45's as well. I seem to shoot them like lasers.

Tequila45
07-11-16, 20:16
I had one but I got rid of it. Maybe it was my hand but the hump on the grip was never comfortable. I shot it really well but compared to the grip on a 19, it wasn't comfortable so I traded it for a 17. Size wise to a 19, it was damn near the same size.

Kdubya
07-11-16, 20:38
I had the same dilemma. Opted for the 30s and am very pleased. The grip size of the 30s actually was a negative mark for me. I've got bigger hands and ended up adding a limbsaver sleeve to gain some more circumference. For me, the slimmer slide was worth more; given that it's a carry gun. It may not seem like a huge difference, but the slightly slimmer slide really does make an impact. I'm 185, moderately fit, and it conceals at about 3:30-4:00 with a T-Shirt. Not a form fitting type, but not excessively baggy either. It's very comfortable to carry, not too heavy, but not really light with 11 rounds of 230gr HSTs. As far as concealable .45s, it is hard to beat when looking at capacity.

As far as accuracy, it's much better than I. When I'm doing my part, I can regularly ring small steel plates at 25 yards. Recoil is pretty mild, but that can be subjective. I did have a reliability issue at first, which I found to be mag related. I've mentioned it before in other threads which I could dig up if necessary. Bottom line, once I identified the issue and rectified it, the problem disappeared and I'm confident it will not resurface. Not a single failure since the fix.

Frankly, you'd be fine with either. Allegedly the 30 is slightly more accurate, but I take that with a grain of salt. For as accurate as the 30s is, any proported increased accuracy from the 30 would not account for the advantage of size in the 30s. At least for me. They are excellent choices and will serve you well for many years.

Matt in TN
07-13-16, 11:57
I have 10,000 rds through my Gen 2.5 G30 and wouldn't trade it for anything. My G41 is about as accurate as the G30 - they are very close in performance.

Angry Driver
07-13-16, 17:16
I bought a 30 Gen 4 originally, and had it for about a year. I liked it, but over time, started wanting the 30S for the lighter weight and thinner slide. Ended up getting rid of the Gen 4 and got a 30S; much happier now! I put a Vickers mag release and a rubber Talon Grip on it and it's great for me now.

Watrdawg
07-14-16, 07:00
Yesterday I went on the Glock site and compared the 30S and the SF and the overall dimensions are the same. The description for the 30S state that it is built on the SF frame but with a slimmer slide.However, the dimensions are the same on the site. Has anyone compared the 2 side by side?

Angry Driver
07-14-16, 07:04
Yesterday I went on the Glock site and compared the 30S and the SF and the overall dimensions are the same. The description for the 30S state that it is built on the SF frame but with a slimmer slide.However, the dimensions are the same on the site. Has anyone compared the 2 side by side?They both have the SF frames. The 30SF has the same slide as the 30 (wide, heavier), while the 30S has the same slide as the 36 (narrow, lighter). They probably list the same width since the frame just below the slide is the widest part of the gun. I think the weights for the two guns should be different, with the 30S being 3-4 ounces lighter.

Watrdawg
07-14-16, 07:13
I just checked again and you are right. The weight for the 30SF unloaded is 26.3 ounces and the 30S is 22.98 ounces. Looks like it may be time to get the 30S then. I have and both a G19 and a M&P 45Midsize. Actually I carry the G19 the most. The 30S is a smaller package than both the 19 and the M&P but has the same capacity as the M&P. I love/hate this site. Great info here but it causes me to spend too much money. LOL

teutonicpolymer
07-14-16, 14:39
I just checked again and you are right. The weight for the 30SF unloaded is 26.3 ounces and the 30S is 22.98 ounces. Looks like it may be time to get the 30S then. I have and both a G19 and a M&P 45Midsize. Actually I carry the G19 the most. The 30S is a smaller package than both the 19 and the M&P but has the same capacity as the M&P. I love/hate this site. Great info here but it causes me to spend too much money. LOL

Don't be deceived, the size is basically the same as the 19 even if the grip is much shorter. What makes it the same length are the mags. It does feel weird with where the hump on the grip is and as someone else mentioned it might not feel good to you.

Watrdawg
07-14-16, 14:42
Don't be deceived, the size is basically the same as the 19 even if the grip is much shorter. What makes it the same length are the mags. It does feel weird with where the hump on the grip is and as someone else mentioned it might not feel good to you.

There ya go bursting my bubble and possibly saving me some money!

Flankenstein
07-14-16, 15:25
Holding out for the Gen 4 30S... Holding out... Not holding breathe, lol.

Uprange41
07-14-16, 15:53
Holding out for the Gen 4 30S... Holding out... Not holding breathe, lol.

You could always get both the Gen 4 G30 and the G30s, swap the slides, and sell the Gen 3 G30 you end up with.

Flankenstein
07-15-16, 12:19
You could always get both the Gen 4 G30 and the G30s, swap the slides, and sell the Gen 3 G30 you end up with.

Thought about that awhile back. Don't want the gun bad enough I suppose. 43 in the summer and 19 or 17 in the colder months has done me fine so far.

If the Gen4 30s existed, it would more than likely be an impulse buy.

kirkland
07-15-16, 21:59

The G30s is a dang nice gun. I have one and I'm always kind of amazed that they could get that many rounds of .45 to fit into such a small package. It is about the same size as a G19 and I've even heard reports that it will fit into a G19 holster, though I haven't tried it myself.

kirkland
07-15-16, 22:03

Sell a Gen 3 over a Gen 4??? oh hell no! You've got to be kidding right?

:jester:

Tequila45
07-16-16, 03:24
The G30s is a dang nice gun. I have one and I'm always kind of amazed that they could get that many rounds of .45 to fit into such a small package. It is about the same size as a G19 and I've even heard reports that it will fit into a G19 holster, though I haven't tried it myself.

The grip and trigger guard is longer from back to front on the 30 vs the 19 so holsters especially kydex will not fit.

arcticlightfighter
07-16-16, 14:39
I like my GEN 4 G30, got a good deal on it. However, I have standardized to 9mm so it is posted for sale FYI in case any one is looking.

Always preferred the G30 to the G21 for all purpose carry. I noted that Safariland makes an ALS duty holster for the G30.

Uprange41
07-16-16, 15:06
Thought about that awhile back. Don't want the gun bad enough I suppose. 43 in the summer and 19 or 17 in the colder months has done me fine so far.

If the Gen4 30s existed, it would more than likely be an impulse buy.
Heard that. That's been the case for me with the G30 for years. I'd like one, I get close to buying one every couple years, but I never do. Just don't need another .45.

Sell a Gen 3 over a Gen 4??? oh hell no! You've got to be kidding right?

:jester:
Theoretically, yeah. Gen 4 > gen 3 all day every day.

Practically, probably not. Selling a working gun is silly.

SIGguy229
07-17-16, 02:15

Which has the narrower grip circumference/smaller grip....the G30S or G30SF?? Has anyone measured? I have a G21SF...and am considering a G30SF, but I've been told to get the G30S. I'm currently deployed, so I can't just walk to a gunstore.

Uprange41
07-17-16, 02:54
Which has the narrower grip circumference/smaller grip....the G30S or G30SF?? Has anyone measured? I have a G21SF...and am considering a G30SF, but I've been told to get the G30S. I'm currently deployed, so I can't just walk to a gunstore.

The G30S and G30SF both have SF frames, so it'd be the same either way.

Aragorn77
07-17-16, 08:31
The G30S and G30SF both have SF frames, so it'd be the same either way.

The Gen 4 guns have the same frame size as well, just with the RTF texture. The original G30 would have the same frame size as a Gen 4 G30 with the medium back strap installed.

firefighter37
07-17-16, 09:40
The 30s will not disappoint. I love the gun, I just don't like that it gives up capacity to the 19, therefore, I carry the 19 almost exclusively.

KalashniKEV
07-17-16, 11:00
That is my experience with the Glock 45's as well. I seem to shoot them like lasers.

I just picked up a G21SF LEO model because it was a great deal, but it was anything but laser for me.

I'm hoping it's the NY1 trigger but it was just super weird- sights aligned, nice deliberate press, BOOM! Giant random hole, LOL.

I know it wasn't me because I picked up my G19 and put one round right on top of the other mag after mag immediately following.

SIGguy229
07-17-16, 12:24
Thanks, gents.

WickedWillis
07-18-16, 13:51
I just picked up a G21SF LEO model because it was a great deal, but it was anything but laser for me.

I'm hoping it's the NY1 trigger but it was just super weird- sights aligned, nice deliberate press, BOOM! Giant random hole, LOL.

I know it wasn't me because I picked up my G19 and put one round right on top of the other mag after mag immediately following.

At that point I would think that trigger is the issue. It's rare I pick up a Glock with a stock trigger and do poorly with it, since I almost shoot them exclusively. I have never used a NY1 trigger though.

Brianb23
07-21-16, 16:50
I own the G30s specifically for daily carry. The G30 adds more weight for less recoil but offers up no other advantages. The extra Ounces are more noticeable as the day goes on, just my opinion.

Lost River
07-21-16, 17:15
The G30S is my backpacking gun,and is what I carry when I am hauling out hind quarters on a pack frame when elk and deer hunting, and don't want to carry any more weight than is required. I hunt in wolf, bear, lion country, and the G30S fills the role quite well.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/FullSizeRender201_zpsvaenjzub.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Handguns/FullSizeRender201_zpsvaenjzub.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Handguns/IMG_1170_zpsgtrjjcgj.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Handguns/IMG_1170_zpsgtrjjcgj.jpg.html)

L-2
07-21-16, 22:11
For G30 models, I've had a regular G30, prior to the SF version.
Years later, I'd traded off the G30, and later bought a G30Gen4.
With some problems with the G30Gen4, I also bought a G30SF.

Problems w/G30Gen4.
I believe these were isolated issues as I'd only heard of one or two other instances with my many readings and contacts on several gun forums.
On the breech face, around the firing pin hole, there was some erosion. While the G30Gen4 was back in Smyrna for another problem, Glock noticed it; told me about it; but determined it wasn't a functional issue at this time and perhaps never will be.

The G30Gen4 went back for a new mag catch, mag catch spring, and replacement of ~8 mags. Apparently, a bad mag catch spring caused excess wear on the mag catch; which then caused excess wear on the mags' notches. This caused the mags to be able to be pulled out without depressing the mag catch and the mags would also fall out while shooting. I now have a spare spring and a mag catch in my parts box should it ever happen again, but so far, all seems good. My guess is there was a bad mag catch spring which took a bend. This all occurred at ~8K rounds. I now have ~12K rounds through this gun.

The G30SF initially had a brass-to-face problem. Now with over 6K rounds through it, the issue must have disappeared at an estimated ~3K rounds. BTF is an elusive problem to figure out why. I'm guessing in my case it was the extractor breaking in with its fit in the slide. But with differences in ammo; the mags helping in ejection; EDP and RSA springs breaking in; it was just too much to substitute and shoot all the variations by substituting parts from the good Gen4 slide to figure out for an intermittent problem.

I considered the G30S, but went with the two I've got.