PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Go - Pocket Monsters. Adults? ****'in Really?

Outlander Systems
07-11-16, 18:56
A member mentioned "grown assed adults" wandering around stupefied in a "Augmented Reality" game called Pokemon Go, in another thread.

I just saw a news clip, of, well, grown assed adults walking down a city street, eyeballs affixed upon their game.

What the actual ****, over?

Is this really a thing?

ETA: When reading news stories about Pocket Monster Go, it's also apparently "racist" and a threat to Black Males:

Enjoy:

https://medium.com/mobile-lifestyle/warning-pokemon-go-is-a-death-sentence-if-you-are-a-black-man-acacb4bdae7f#.js8ptpyej

Dist. Expert 26
07-11-16, 19:01
I work with a 30 year old "man" that spent half his work day Saturday playing that stupid game. For the life of me I can't wrap by head around it, but to each their own.

J-Dub
07-11-16, 19:02
Apparently. I dealt with a 12yr old that crashed his bike today while doing the pokemon go thing....I got the down low from him. I predict a lot of people getting injured and possibly dying doing it...oh well.

Firefly
07-11-16, 19:12
See....It's shit like this that just....I can't verbalize it

I looked up youtube on this matter because I thought pokemon was that gameboy game from the 90s. Now this is some lunacy this new mess.

I thought 40 year old guys obsessing over My Little Pony was the worst. Neeewp.

scooter22
07-11-16, 19:18
Apparently, criminals have used the game to lure players into areas where they are robbed.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/10/pokemon-go-armed-robbers-dead-body

Alex V
07-11-16, 19:28
Two of my Jr Architects, 27 and 26 years of age. Playing it non stop all weekend long.

Firefly
07-11-16, 19:32
Two of my Jr Architects, 27 and 26 years of age. Playing it non stop all weekend long.

How do you not just scream "SUCHKA BLYAAAAT!" and gorilla toss them through a window?

MountainRaven
07-11-16, 19:42
At least it's getting people off their duff and walking around the real world. And if it causes some SAOFR-types to reduce their probability of reproducing, so much the better.

JulyAZ
07-11-16, 19:46
I was driving around yesterday I saw a family with at least 8 kids with them walking along the street playing this game, y'all may hate it but it's got kids outside, something few know how to do anymore.

People are outside because of it kids and adults, if this is what it take for people to exercise I'm all for it.

Outlander Systems
07-11-16, 19:55
Can't argue with that, bro.

If there's a silver lining, you found it.

Folks do; however, need to at least have the presence of mind not to get their JigglyPuff on in urban environments...

At least it's getting people off their duff and walking around the real world. And if it causes some SAOFR-types to reduce their probability of reproducing, so much the better.

Firefly
07-11-16, 20:03
I dunno....When I was a kid we'd pick fights or shoot at each other with pellet guns until it got dark.

We had bikes and rode anywhere we wanted. 5 dollars was a fortune. And the Nintendo only came out of the closet on friday night and got put up Sunday afternoon.

docsherm
07-11-16, 20:09
I dunno....When I was a kid we'd pick fights or shoot at each other with pellet guns until it got dark.

We had bikes and rode anywhere we wanted. 5 dollars was a fortune. And the Nintendo only came out of the closet on friday night and got put up Sunday afternoon.

Sounds like you grew up in Texas...... ;)

I like how kids are actually doing stuff outside but when it is a bunch of hipsters doing it it is just retarded.

_Stormin_
07-11-16, 20:13
There are literally HUNDREDS of people playing this game by my place here. All hours, as there are a few of the game's checkpoints nearby. According to my wife, five of the things and three of the gyms. At first I had no clue what the herd was doing, but she walked me through the whole thing. A bit weird for me. I'd rather just grab a firearm and head to the range, or my golf clubs and head to the other range. That said, I have sat outside with a beer on one of the local restaurants patios and watched people walk MILES while playing, just doing laps between the checkpoints, so good on them. They found a way to trick people into exercising...

JoshNC
07-11-16, 20:19
The downfall of civilization.

Alex V
07-11-16, 20:29
How do you not just scream "SUCHKA BLYAAAAT!" and gorilla toss them through a window?

Sukah Padlo Bl'ad'!

They weren't playing during work hours so I can't get too mad. If they got up and started running around the parking lot chasing imaginary cartoon charichters things may have changed.

kwelz
07-11-16, 20:31
We all have different hobbies. Some of us like Video games..

SomeOtherGuy
07-11-16, 20:53
What are these "adults" of which you speak? Haven't seen those in many years. I think they stopped hatching future "adults" sometime around 1985.

sevenhelmet
07-11-16, 21:02
I'm reminded of that Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where Wesley Crusher gets back to the ship and everyone is addicted to this weird game that you put on like sunglasses. Then aliens try to take over the ship or something while the crew is distracted.

...yeah, I'm a nerd.

But good Lord, the ramifications of this are scary. People are playing by the millions, tripping over dead bodies, trespassing, robbing each other- and 2 days ago I didn't even know this existed. A couple of thoughts up front:
1.) A GPS tracking app that tracks people by the millions (8M and counting, according to one web source) and could run in the background tracking their every move. Fun, or sinister overtones from those who can aggregate the data?
2.) Could businesses pay Nintendo to plant a particularly popular Easter egg (or whatever they are) in a store to get more people to come in? A new form of advertising?
3.) Does this mean that I could be out shooting or riding my mountain bike on BLM land and have run-ins with random people wandering through the desert, totally absorbed in their cell phones?
4.) Will there be people gathering on random street corners in my neighborhood to "do battle" or whatever?

Or maybe it's just a craze that will be gone in a month or two. Either way, anything that changes the daily patterns of millions of people gives me pause. I feel like I could look out the window next to me right now and see someone wandering around with their cell phone, paying no attention to their surroundings.

KalashniKEV
07-11-16, 21:11
What's the big deal?

I live in kind of a yuppie neighborhood and there were at least a hundred people playing this evening (I'm dogsitting this week and took a 2 hour walk- dog still won't go!).

I captured 7 Pokemon and went from Level 1 to Level 3.

el_chingoton13
07-11-16, 21:35
Speaking as a 27 year old, pokemon was the shit when i was like 10. The adults in my age group are playing out of nostalgia.

Blstr88
07-11-16, 22:09
What are these "adults" of which you speak? Haven't seen those in many years. I think they stopped hatching future "adults" sometime around 1985.

Hey! It was 1986 they stopped hatching future adults :cool:

Or maybe it's just a craze that will be gone in a month or two.

^^This. I read an article today with a whole slew of tweets from people saying they were "sore as f*ck" from all the walking this games making them do. I give it another week or two.

BoringGuy45
07-11-16, 22:23
I'm not playing nor do I have any desire to do so. I never was into Pokemon when I was a kid; my brothers were obsessed with the trading cards, but mostly because everyone in their age bracket was.

All things considered, there are worse, more destructive things that a person could be doing with their free time. If grown people want to walk around catching imaginary digital monsters, I say have at it. At least people are exercising their fat asses. To be honest, if it were a theme of something that I followed as a kid, I might be doing it myself.

As to the people who are saying this is a potential menace: Give me a ****ing break! Every time a new game or fad comes out, people find some reason why it's a public safety hazard. Back in the 1980s, you had people freaking out over Dungeons and Dragons, claiming it was making players go crazy, worship Satan, and murder people. Now, this Pokemon game needs to be banned because idiots are running into lampposts or crashing their bikes looking at screens, and some people have found ways to exploit this game for criminal activity. Big surprise; name ANYTHING that people haven't used for some kind of illegal activity.

At the end of the day, I couldn't give less of a shit about this game. But I say, if you want to play it, have fun.

Eurodriver
07-11-16, 23:11
I'm freaking glad I live in FL. People here are too damn old for any of that jazz.

It is kind of crazy how it went from nothing to a literal addiction to millions of people in about six days though, isn't it?

Koshinn
07-11-16, 23:41
This is what I imagine most posters in this thread are doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X2_V60YK8

kwelz
07-11-16, 23:43
This is what I imagine most posters in this thread are doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X2_V60YK8

Nah. Half of them are probably trying to figure out where the closest Eevee is. :lol:

AKDoug
07-12-16, 00:08
My oldest daughter is into L.A.R.P. and now this thing. My wife is beside herself trying to figure out where she went astray. I just shrug my shoulders and am glad my kid is outside doing something. While she was out chasing Pokemon I went to the range and shot a bunch of steel targets and used up a $100 worth of ammo. I did beat an older IPSC GrandMaster... so I guess it wasn't as big of a waste of time.

tb-av
07-12-16, 00:12
I saw it on the news tonight.... I couldn't believe the people that were just face down in it in central park.

So terrorist 101. Plant bomb, start game to lure in idiots, detonate bomb.

Maybe we could arrange a game on election day near a high cliff. I was actually stunned at the ages of the people I saw.

Koshinn
07-12-16, 00:16
My oldest daughter is into L.A.R.P. and now this thing. My wife is beside herself trying to figure out where she went astray.

Did she actually go astray?

If she was a crack addict doing anything to get her next fix, that'd be a legit question. But your wife is worried about her having hobbies?

So terrorist 101. Plant bomb, start game to lure in idiots, detonate bomb.

Terrorists would be far better off bombing the idiots who crowd into sports arenas, there's a lot more people and they're much more tightly packed.

Co-gnARR
07-12-16, 00:52
I work with a 30 year old "man" that spent half his work day Saturday playing that stupid game. For the life of me I can't wrap by head around it, but to each their own.
There is a term for these people, and surprisingly it's not always disparaging:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kidult
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?defid=1260622&term=kidult

SteyrAUG
07-12-16, 01:15
A member mentioned "grown assed adults" wandering around stupefied in a "Augmented Reality" game called Pokemon Go, in another thread.

I just saw a news clip, of, well, grown assed adults walking down a city street, eyeballs affixed upon their game.

Is this really a thing?

ETA: When reading news stories about Pocket Monster Go, it's also apparently "racist" and a threat to Black Males:

Enjoy:

https://medium.com/mobile-lifestyle/warning-pokemon-go-is-a-death-sentence-if-you-are-a-black-man-acacb4bdae7f#.js8ptpyej

Look at it this way. More people walking into traffic starring down at their phone.

C-grunt
07-12-16, 01:21
Seriously, who cares what other people do for fun. I like video games and so do a shit load of other guys under the age of 40.

Hell in 2005 almost my entire platoon played Halo 16 person multiplayer for hours on end. Even got half the ODA team on my FOB to join. Though I realize that using infantrymen as an example of an "adult" might not be the best. HAHAHA

tb-av
07-12-16, 01:25
There is a term for these people,

semi-arrested development? Need a Liberal committee to study the issue

Kinda-screwed-up-but-we-don't-know-for-sure? Need a Liberal college grant to attend a semester.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with kids playing games. But if you are 30 to 40 years old and face down in a phone and it's a fn game you are basically addicted to.... ????

If what I had seen today were 8 year old kids with their parents... that's one thing... but what I saw was actually kinda scary. I know the news edits for the effect but still, these people are actually out there and you don't just do that stuff on a whim.

I know some older young adults are into role playing and so are some old old adults. I hope that what I saw on tv today was just typical alphabet soup sensationalism.... but when I had to play 'dodge human' by simply driving into a WAWA parking lot and trying to figure what the girl that walked out the door and was face down all the way across the parking lot, stopping, stutter walking, and yet never looking up, was going to do. I have to wonder. Not sure what was on her her phone but she was locked in.

tb-av
07-12-16, 01:33
Seriously, who cares what other people do for fun. I like video games and so do a shit load of other guys under the age of 40.

Hell in 2005 almost my entire platoon played Halo 16 person multiplayer for hours on end. Even got half the ODA team on my FOB to join. Though I realize that using infantrymen as an example of an "adult" might not be the best. HAHAHA

That's a whole different situation. This game is controlling people to go places and do things. Trespass, mindlessly follow. Act alone and potentially put yourself in unsafe situations.

JC5188
07-12-16, 01:33

Cuz folks like you show up when people get thrown out windows, lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-grunt
07-12-16, 02:06
That's a whole different situation. This game is controlling people to go places and do things. Trespass, mindlessly follow. Act alone and potentially put yourself in unsafe situations.

There is a lot of stupid people in the world that do a lot of stupid things. Look up the Youtube channel Fail Army.

Koshinn
07-12-16, 02:51

So you're saying the game robs people of free will and turns them into criminals?

That's a pretty bold claim.

Honu
07-12-16, 03:51
so I wonder how many installed and played and did not change settings and gave away a ton of personal info etc..

Outlander Systems
07-12-16, 05:20
As long as this doesn't happen:

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/9/99/ThirtyMinutesOverTokyo.png

Outlander Systems
07-12-16, 05:44
RE: LARP

I, unfortunately, know one of our 37-year-old data analysts/techs is a ****ing LARPer.

Don't get me started...

Did she actually go astray?

If she was a crack addict doing anything to get her next fix, that'd be a legit question. But your wife is worried about her having hobbies?

Terrorists would be far better off bombing the idiots who crowd into sports arenas, there's a lot more people and they're much more tightly packed.

Endur
07-12-16, 05:47

Hey now, I was born in '89. I identify as an adult! Trigger warning! I need my safe space!

JC5188
07-12-16, 06:13
C'mon now...

Some of the responses! Replace pokemon with 'gun' and you could use them interchangeably with arguments people use to claim we're nuts.

As for video games, larp, and nerding out: See one of the multiple Star Wars threads on this very forum. For gods sake, I know for a FACT some of you fvckers own "light sabers", lol!!!

Outlander Systems
07-12-16, 06:34
Negative, bro.

White Revision Viper Helmet, White Crye JPC, white Vickers gloves, etc.

Do you even Darkside, bro?

Outlander Systems
07-12-16, 06:48
RE: Getting outside

In my old neighborhood in the 'hood, I know for a fact there were actually white kids that lived there. That said, the only kids I ever saw playing outside were the black kids. I hate to stereotype, but the white kids, I assume, were all inside with their ****ing heads buried in a video game, working on their fatbodies.

I'm not going to bullshit here, I grew up playing Parsec and Hunt the Wumpiss on a Texas Instruments console, and if I had the opportunity, I'd have never wasted a single minute of my life playing a video game. I wasn't hard core, and video games were, for me anyway, mostly a "aw **** it's raining" kind of deal. Mostly we ran around with BB guns, rode dirtbikes, rode skateboards, fished, and BMX'd our asses around in the woods.

Arcades were cool, because mom was getting her shop on, while I got to throw fireballs in peoples' faces, and issue out some fatalities.

Real talk, I had some coworkers back in the early 00's that literally let their lives circle the bowl over EverQuest. I'm talking morbidly obese, teeth rotting, game addictions here. They literally let their lives go down the drain over that shit.

JC5188
07-12-16, 07:55
Negative, bro.

Lol...right on. :)

KalashniKEV
07-12-16, 09:02
so I wonder how many installed and played and did not change settings and gave away a ton of personal info etc..

It took me a while to figure it out, but I installed and gave the app no permissions at all- so it couldn't use my camera or anything.

My Augmented Reality (AR) mode is just the monster jumping around on a white background.

I have to figure out how to turn just that back on.

Gunfixr
07-12-16, 09:27
This thread wasn't what I expected. I thought it was going to be a bunch of you guys talking about playing the game our son was obsessed with when he was 8 or 10yrs old. When I was a kid, there wasn't even a "Pokemon" word, much less anything else. Only video game we had was pong, and it only got played on Saturdays, if it was raining.

As far as idiots walking around with their faces buried in a phone, mindlessly, that's been going on around here for years, so nothing has really changed.

And, I bet if you could get their attention long enough to ask, they'd say we were just as obsessed as they are.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Palmguy
07-12-16, 09:32
http://terminallance.com/2016/07/12/terminal-lance-gotta-catch-em-all/

KalashniKEV
07-12-16, 09:33
LOL...

http://imgur.com/bKhZiDo

soulezoo
07-12-16, 09:53

When I was a kid we did all the above... except video games were still 10-12 years away.

I was watching I Dream of Jeannie... and it was still filmed in black and white. If you were "hip" you watched "The Mod Squad". (Which today looks retarded but still cool to hear Link say "Solid")

The only time I put on a costume was for my daughters 4th B-day. She was into Winnie the Pooh then so guess what I got roped into doing.

Can't even imagine running around as a grown A-- adult in Pokémon. Just so much fail...

sevenhelmet
07-12-16, 09:59
It is kind of crazy how it went from nothing to a literal addiction to millions of people in about six days though, isn't it?

I guess that's what I find so alarming. I remember Pokemon from when I was a teenager, but I always thought it was dumb, with crappy animation. I used to love video games, but at some point (having kids?) I lost touch with that world. I don't even know what LARP is- haven't heard of it outside this thread. I still have my old Xbox 360, but I haven't plugged it in for years. I probably suck at video games now.

Pokemoners, play on, but mind your surroundings and stay safe.

SomeOtherGuy
07-12-16, 10:01
Hey now, I was born in '89. I identify as an adult! Trigger warning! I need my safe space!

Ha, adults don't need "safe spaces" or trigger warnings. :b

More seriously, I don't have any actual problem with Pokemon or LARP or whatever... just don't be stupid and wander into traffic, trespass etc. Sometimes a cool concept demonstrates the wide range of collective jackassery in our diverse population. (And here I'm not referring to color of skin but to levels of maturity and common sense among people who are all classified as adults by age.)

HCrum87hc
07-12-16, 11:28
I'll admit I play the game. I grew up when Pokemon was extremely popular, and I've always been a bit of a nerd. Having said that, there's a big difference in playing a smart phone game a bit in your spare time and being addicted to a game you can't put down. There are pros and cons to how popular the game is, most of which have been mentioned here. It definitely can, and has, led to injuries due to people having their faces stuck in their phones. But, is that anything new? It does get people who would normally be inside outside and walking around. Personally, I prefer to enjoy the actual outdoors when I'm outdoors, but at least they're getting a bit of exercise and some vitamin D. One possible perk is finding missing people:

Wyoming teen playing 'Pokemon Go' discovers body face down in river (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/10/wyoming-teen-playing-pokemon-go-discovers-body-face-down-in-river.html)

The_War_Wagon
07-12-16, 11:39
Poke man is a bit after my time. As are cellphones... :stop:

Arik
07-12-16, 12:03

Is this really a thing?

Enjoy:

I work with a man child who's into that game. But it's probably at the hight of his IQ

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KalashniKEV
07-12-16, 12:09
But it's probably at the hight of his IQ

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

hahahahahahaha

RobertTheTexan
07-12-16, 13:56
I was driving around yesterday I saw a family with at least 8 kids with them walking along the street playing this game, y'all may hate it but it's got kids outside, something few know how to do anymore.

People are outside because of it kids and adults, if this is what it take for people to exercise I'm all for it.

Granted they may be outside but are they really "outdoors"? Are they engaging each other in conversation? Did they see that squirrel that dad says, "when I was a boy and my daddy saw a squirrel he'd shoot that sucker and we'd have it for dinner." And the kids say "Ewwwwww!!"? (At least that's what I hear most city kids say these days.) Or are they just walking around like mindless zombies with their faces planted in a iPhone or Android? I see what your point, but if they are outside and not even cognizant of being outside, then their tech-worshipping butts might as well be planted on the couch. What's the point if you don't notice nature or life or people living around you?
My silver lining is a bit tarnished. [emoji12][emoji12]

ramairthree
07-12-16, 14:21
I played Pokemon about ten or fifteen years ago. My oldest got a game boy advance and I helped him with it and he literally learned how to read between bedtime stories and to be able to play that game by himself when he was five.

Same with the next kid. Who on the drive back from a summer internship at Duke the other day was using her phone to catch Pokemon. And out walking the dog on the farm the same thing.

Next kid did not get into it, and was reading a couple of years later than the first couple.

They have gotten fancier game boys and new Pokemon games since then,
And I have not had to help them play since 2004 or so.

I guess for certain ages,
Pokemon were as much a part of growing up as Saturday morning cartoons or staying up late with grandma babysitting and seeing Johnny Carson or playing Monopoly etc. we're to others.

If they had an iPhone app that let me watch Superfriends, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes, Scooby Doo, etc. one in a while maybe I would get a laugh out of it now and then.

I think the big difference is,
TV, movies, arcades, etc. we're so much more limited then,
You could not do it 24/7 like now.

In the mid to late 90s,
I knew a guy that ended up with his masters and failed out of his PhD program spending too much to
I've playing computer games.

There definitely are a lot more adult children than there used to be.

There is also not the inflation from time by being rural there used to be.

Any much younger than 45 or 40 or so is a big generational split.

Older than that,
We ran around outside and rode our bikes,
Used maps for driving,
Talked on corded dialing phones,
Used phone booths,
Payed cash for gas,
Bought records,
Went to the library,
Ordered from catalogs,
Either saw the yearly showing of something on TV or missed it,
Had to see a movie at the movies,
Almost never thought of calling an ambulance or going to the ER,
Had to hunt for old parts or books,
Etc.
Just like out parents did, and their parents did...

Koshinn
07-12-16, 14:37
Old people until last week: "Kids these days need to stop playing video games all the time. They should go outdoors and play like we did in 1875!"
Old people this week: "Kids these days need to stop wandering around outside playing this Pokemon game!"
- Tuohy

That was only for iPhone users. Android users didn't give away any personal info.

Firefly
07-12-16, 14:42
Yeah... I miss antennae TV and it seemed like every luxury was a treat.

Now everybody just full of BS.

Per LARPing. I always wanted to crash one with my face blacked out, wearing tiger stripes, and ALICE gear demanding to be in on the LRRPing. Maybe get an airsoft CAR-15 and bushwack people.

I'm not a fuddy duddy as I believe that every grown ass man should let his 13 year old self out to play once in a while.

But people who get into the online games that just predominate your life are lame.

RobertTheTexan
07-12-16, 14:59
[QUOTE=Koshinn;2346717]

Old people last week: "Them cottonblasted Rugrats these days need to stop sitting around on the dang couch like a danggone couch 'tater, playing them dadblasted video games all the time. They should go outdoors and play like we did in 1875 and shoot their eye out with a pellet gun! Them video games are from the devil I tell ya, the devil!!!!!"

Old people this week: "Them sapsuckin' varmints these days need to stop wandering around outside like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off playing this damn Pokemon thangamajig. That thang is tha Devil's game Ima tellin ya!! The devil's game!!!

- Tuohy (Southernized) assisted by RTT

Digital_Damage
07-12-16, 15:30
Gotta catch em all!

Even Jews? (tasteless sarcasm)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/games/holocaust-museum-wants-%E2%80%98pokemon-go%E2%80%99-addicts-to-stop-playing-there/ar-BBug5pN?li=AAfq3b1&ocid=spartanntp

ggammell
07-12-16, 15:36
Word around town is that people are playing it in Arlington National Cemetery. Such stupidity.

Firefly
07-12-16, 15:39
If you think about it.....Pokemon is essentially simulated dog/cockfighting.

You take some cute little anime animal and force him to fight another animal to the death.

Kinda dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2tqDVdM3A&app=desktop

Grisly Michael Vick mess I tell you

jpmuscle
07-12-16, 15:47
where's PETA when you need them.

Endur
07-12-16, 17:39
I played Pokemon on Gameboy color when I was little. Unlike most kids nowadays, I also skateboarded, road BMX, played football at the local park with the neighbor hood kids, boxed at the park with the neighborhood kids, explored the area, and so on. I never see any of that with kids these days. You might get child neglect charges.

Koshinn
07-12-16, 19:24
I played Pokemon on Gameboy color when I was little. Unlike most kids nowadays, I also skateboarded, road BMX, played football at the local park with the neighbor hood kids, boxed at the park with the neighborhood kids, explored the area, and so on. I never see any of that with kids these days. You might get child neglect charges.

Did you even have homework?

Endur
07-12-16, 19:42

Homework? What is that?

I wasn't constantly doing that stuff though. Honestly I did virtually no homework in middle school, but I still paid attention and scored high on in class and state testing (which means really nothing). I had teachers on a few occasions call my parents and asked if I was cheating. I did not finish highschool. I got my GED and enlisted. Got out and now I am in college.

Moose-Knuckle
07-13-16, 05:00
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7062/27665469584_42bb0ec5b6.jpg

Gunfixr
07-13-16, 10:16
Kids these days don't have homework. I usually had 1-2hrs per night, way more on the weekend, since "you got the whole weekend to do it".
I got a daughter that just graduated, and her older brother, whom I mentioned in an earlier post, is 24. Nether one of them had any homework, and my daughter was in the advanced program the whole time. Our son was, but when he found out he was actually going to have to apply himself, he flunked out, back to regular class, where he didn't have to study to pass.
Talked with my wife earlier, aforementioned son is hooked on this new game. Drives around, walks forever to play. He's been unemployed since around March, girlfriend dumped him. So, he's sleeping on someone's couch, his phone is probably any day from being turned off, his car insurance the same, no gas for it, and he's playing this Pokemon game, instead of looking for a job. Wouldn't even do what it took to get on unemployment, which is easy now, you only have to fill out two apps a week.
Daughter, only being held back by getting her dl, got her temp one yesterday, and is filling out job apps this morning.

OK, enough rant. Schools no longer teach kids to think critically, to be able to solve problems. They only teach them to think enough to do what they're told.
Barely.
This is the firsthand observation of a father who has just seen two quite intelligent children through the public school system. When they went in at 5yrs, they were ahead of what they needed, mom saw to that while I kept us fed.
And we watched it all go to waste.

So, for all the above rant, this is not a surprise to me, because schools no longer make adults.
Most parents do not make adults of their children, either. You would be amazed at the lack of simple knowledge by parents I have seen at school open Houses.
If you, as a parent, try to make an adult of your child, you will have a long, uphill battle. But, it can be done.

Endur
07-13-16, 10:26
Kids these days don't have homework. I usually had 1-2hrs per night, way more on the weekend, since "you got the whole weekend to do it".
I got a daughter that just graduated, and her older brother, whom I mentioned in an earlier post, is 24. Nether one of them had any homework, and my daughter was in the advanced program the whole time. Our son was, but when he found out he was actually going to have to apply himself, he flunked out, back to regular class, where he didn't have to study to pass.
Talked with my wife earlier, aforementioned son is hooked on this new game. Drives around, walks forever to play. He's been unemployed since around March, girlfriend dumped him. So, he's sleeping on someone's couch, his phone is probably any day from being turned off, his car insurance the same, no gas for it, and he's playing this Pokemon game, instead of looking for a job. Wouldn't even do what it took to get on unemployment, which is easy now, you only have to fill out two apps a week.
Daughter, only being held back by getting her dl, got her temp one yesterday, and is filling out job apps this morning.

OK, enough rant. Schools no longer teach kids to think critically, to be able to solve problems. They only teach them to think enough to do what they're told.
Barely.
This is the firsthand observation of a father who has just seen two quite intelligent children through the public school system. When they went in at 5yrs, they were ahead of what they needed, mom saw to that while I kept us fed.
And we watched it all go to waste.

So, for all the above rant, this is not a surprise to me, because schools no longer make adults.
Most parents do not make adults of their children, either. You would be amazed at the lack of simple knowledge by parents I have seen at school open Houses.
If you, as a parent, try to make an adult of your child, you will have a long, uphill battle. But, it can be done.

That was my problem with school. Teachers had no vested interest in engaging us and pushing us academically and intellectually. I hated school because they cared more about shoveling mindless drivel that was severely inadequate in full content down our throats, and whether or not we could regurgitate it on tests. I did have some excellent teachers here and there that actually cared, and went out of their way to exemplify it. Those were the classes I actually cared about doing homework for. I always paid attention to the material given though, no matter what. I just hated homework.

Koshinn
07-13-16, 10:48
Schools no longer teach kids to think critically, to be able to solve problems. They only teach them to think enough to do what they're told.
Barely.

That's a pretty big generalization, considering how many schools there are in this country.

Perhaps the public school system in your part of Virginia needs help, but that's not representative of all schools.

Then again, I went to an amazing K-12 school that was all about critical thinking, learning useful skills, becoming a well-rounded and complete individual, and has teachers that really do care. I wouldn't hesitate to send any future kids of mine to my old school, except that it's in Hawaii and I'm not. But using my experience, which wasn't too long ago, to generalize all schools as amazing is just as wrong as using a few examples in a few local areas to generalize all schools as terrible.

I had a lot of homework btw, I have no idea how people even had free time to do things after class. I'm guessing those on sports teams had to reduce course load or take less challenging classes... which is a common theme in college as well.

jpmuscle
07-13-16, 10:52
It's official. This crap has come up in Intel briefings. Hahahaha

GTF425
07-13-16, 11:15

For what it's worth, it's been mentioned in a few safety briefings on Bragg.

"Don't beat your dog, **** someone else's wife, or play Poke E Mans in an impact area."

KalashniKEV
07-13-16, 11:36

Our FSO just put out an alert for unauthorized folks trying to catch Pokemon in the vicinity of our TS facility here.

I informed the organization that this should not occur- because I have already captured all Pokemon operating in our AO.

Gunfixr
07-13-16, 11:38
That's a pretty big generalization, considering how many schools there are in this country.

Perhaps the public school system in your part of Virginia needs help, but that's not representative of all schools.

Then again, I went to an amazing K-12 school that was all about critical thinking, learning useful skills, becoming a well-rounded and complete individual, and has teachers that really do care. I wouldn't hesitate to send any future kids of mine to my old school, except that it's in Hawaii and I'm not. But using my experience, which wasn't too long ago, to generalize all schools as amazing is just as wrong as using a few examples in a few local areas to generalize all schools as terrible.

I had a lot of homework btw, I have no idea how people even had free time to do things after class. I'm guessing those on sports teams had to reduce course load or take less challenging classes... which is a common theme in college as well.
Well, it is good to hear that there are some schools still truly teaching.

KalashniKEV
07-13-16, 11:50
Well, it is good to hear that there are some schools still truly teaching.

Start a new thread for Homework.

Digital_Damage
07-13-16, 12:16

Yep... because everyone knows charizard is at groom lake.

Koshinn
07-13-16, 13:29
Yep... because everyone knows charizard is at groom lake.

But no one can get within 30 miles without getting shot lol

jpmuscle
07-13-16, 13:38
Our FSO just put out an alert for unauthorized folks trying to catch Pokemon in the vicinity of our TS facility here.

I informed the organization that this should not occur- because I have already captured all Pokemon operating in our AO.
Winning

PrivateCitizen
07-13-16, 14:17
I was too old when Pokemon even became a thing the first time. I was too busy playing the original Fallout. Fallout 1.

fallenromeo
07-13-16, 15:01
I personally don't have a problem with the game even though I don't play it. Yes there are zombies wandering around playing it, not paying attention, but it is getting people active though.

Perfect example: I have a roommate who is almost 34. He works, and then he just sits in his room and plays video games. All. Freaking. Day. Literally he will play 10 hours a day and it is kinda worrisome. Couple days ago I noticed he had a sunburn because he took a long walk to the park. Then he has been going on long walks each day. Last night, he left my house for 3 hours and went to the beach, at night. I kinda put it together myself and asked him when he got home if he was playing and he said he was. Yes, it seems silly. But it has got him out of the house and got him to be more active. To me, that is worth it.

Outlander Systems
07-13-16, 15:29
ROFLCOPTER!

+1 Internets for you, Sir.

Firefly
07-13-16, 15:53
I personally don't have a problem with the game even though I don't play it. Yes there are zombies wandering around playing it, not paying attention, but it is getting people active though.

Perfect example: I have a roommate who is almost 34. He works, and then he just sits in his room and plays video games. All. Freaking. Day. Literally he will play 10 hours a day and it is kinda worrisome. Couple days ago I noticed he had a sunburn because he took a long walk to the park. Then he has been going on long walks each day. Last night, he left my house for 3 hours and went to the beach, at night. I kinda put it together myself and asked him when he got home if he was playing and he said he was. Yes, it seems silly. But it has got him out of the house and got him to be more active. To me, that is worth it.

That reminds me of a game my dad devised called "Treasure Hunt". I said I was SOOOOOOOO BOOOOOORED and he asked if I wanted to play Treasure Hunt.

BOY DID I! He gave me a shovel, told me to go out in the backwooded area and dig some 3 foot holes looking for treasure and to cover the holes before moving to the next

After all day of this I sauntered to the porch with my hands blistered, tired, and saying there was no treasure just dirt.

"Yeah, but you ain't bored no more are ya, kiddo?"

KalashniKEV
07-13-16, 15:59
ROFLCOPTER!

+1 Internets for you, Sir.

...aaaaaand we now have a draft policy letter in the making regarding gaming on company time.

Firefly
07-13-16, 16:07
...aaaaaand we now have a draft policy letter in the making regarding gaming on company time.

Those pokemon you captured, are they being waterboarded?

Is it super effective?

KalashniKEV
07-13-16, 16:17
Those pokemon you captured, are they being waterboarded?

Is it super effective?

Remains to be seen.

I'm attempting to gather intel regarding the names, locations, and affiliations of other more rare, higher level Pokeman.

So far they've confessed to being 9/11 co-conspirators, taking the President of the United States on a coke-fueled gay limousine ride, and having "the hookup" for good, inexpensive .300 BLK ammo... if I promise to stop.

Firefly
07-13-16, 16:22
I see.

Be advised that Mew is a HVT.

Been trying to get that bastard since like what....1997.

Little alien looking sumbitch

Koshinn
07-13-16, 16:36

At cellphones are allowed where you work :p

Outlander Systems
07-13-16, 16:41
Pokeballs are weapons of mass distraction.

:p

Remains to be seen.

I'm attempting to gather intel regarding the names, locations, and affiliations of other more rare, higher level Pokeman.

So far they've confessed to being 9/11 co-conspirators, taking the President of the United States on a coke-fueled gay limousine ride, and having "the hookup" for good, inexpensive .300 BLK ammo... if I promise to stop.

Koshinn
07-13-16, 16:42
https://twitter.com/PokemonIife/status/753339258593771520

WickedWillis
07-13-16, 17:14
Speaking as a 27 year old, pokemon was the shit when i was like 10. The adults in my age group are playing out of nostalgia.

I've got a year on you, but it was amazing when I was a kid as well, and I was obsessed with it. The games, the cards, all of it lol. I haven't had the time to play Go, but it seems it's extremely positive at getting kids off their butts and out and about.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-13-16, 18:11
Not sure when this stuff was popular but at 36 I am obviously to old. I have no idea what it's about and I am good with that. Plus, after reading about the permissions you give the app when you sign in I am fairly happy I have not even thought of playing.

WickedWillis
07-13-16, 18:13
If you think about it.....Pokemon is essentially simulated dog/cockfighting.

You take some cute little anime animal and force him to fight another animal to the death.

Kinda dark.

Grisly Michael Vick mess I tell you

After you enslave them in a Pokeball.

jpmuscle
07-13-16, 19:11
I've got a year on you, but it was amazing when I was a kid as well, and I was obsessed with it. The games, the cards, all of it lol. I haven't had the time to play Go, but it seems it's extremely positive at getting kids off their butts and out and about.
I never got the draw? Just seemed to weird.

Koshinn
07-13-16, 20:46
Not sure when this stuff was popular but at 36 I am obviously to old. I have no idea what it's about and I am good with that. Plus, after reading about the permissions you give the app when you sign in I am fairly happy I have not even thought of playing.

You only give it permissions if you're on an iPhone and if you're on an iPhone, you can pretty much already expect everything to be public anyway.

26 Inf
07-13-16, 21:36
Negative, bro.

Re your street cred comment in another thread: Dude, you are circling the drain, pull out man, pull out!

26 Inf
07-13-16, 22:08

Not to be argumentative, but it is not a teacher's job to make your kids adults or instill a work ethic in them. That needs to be done at home.

The most common reason that schools don't give kids homework anymore is not because teachers are too lazy to assign homework, it is because parents won't ensure their kids get the homework done. Because most parents aren't involved in their kid's lives beyond feeding and housing.

I am not inferring that you are any of those things as a parent, just saying everyone wants to blame the schools, when most of us need to look in a mirror. I certainly don't always bring my 'A' game as a parent.

Gunfixr
07-13-16, 23:07
Well, my understanding of the purpose of the school system was to teach kids the basic info, such as multiplication, nouns, verbs, etc., how they are used, so that in life, these "adults" could then use what they learned to get through problems, communicate, etc.
Perhaps "make adults" was the wrong term to apply to schools.

Yes, the parents carry a large responsibility, and many are sadly lacking. I certainly don't claim to be the perfect parent, but from my interactions with others, I didn't do too bad.

But, despite I and my wife's involvement in both our children's growing up, we could see what we had done, and we're continuing to do, being undone at school.

A fellow I used to work said that it was a crying shame that you needed a license to drop a hook in the water, but anyone could make a child on a whim. Sometimes, I think he really was onto something.

26 Inf
07-13-16, 23:40
A fellow I used to work said that it was a crying shame that you needed a license to drop a hook in the water, but anyone could make a child on a whim. Sometimes, I think he really was onto something.

Oh, hell yes.

Case in point, a young man was bothering my daughter at her summer job - she's a life guard and he was following her around. She was out front at our house one day when he stopped in our drive way. This kind of upset her, because she wasn't interested in being more than cordial. Then the kid posted some stuff on facebook. At that point well-meaning folks started trying to get us to contact the police. My thought was this kid just needed to be told that his method of wooing my daughter had not worked and he needed to cut bait. So I tracked the little devil's home address down and showed up to talk to him and his parents. My Lord, when I left I wanted to take him with me, I was worried I'd just caused him to get his ass beat as soon as I left. He has moved down a little on the list, but for about a week he was numero uno on my prayer list.

I was reminded in that moment how often I wanted to punch a parent for screwing up their kid when I was making calls.

Firefly
07-14-16, 00:51
Oh, hell yes.

Case in point, a young man was bothering my daughter at her summer job - she's a life guard and he was following her around. She was out front at our house one day when he stopped in our drive way. This kind of upset her, because she wasn't interested in being more than cordial. Then the kid posted some stuff on facebook. At that point well-meaning folks started trying to get us to contact the police. My thought was this kid just needed to be told that his method of wooing my daughter had not worked and he needed to cut bait. So I tracked the little devil's home address down and showed up to talk to him and his parents. My Lord, when I left I wanted to take him with me, I was worried I'd just caused him to get his ass beat as soon as I left. He has moved down a little on the list, but for about a week he was numero uno on my prayer list.

I was reminded in that moment how often I wanted to punch a parent for screwing up their kid when I was making calls.

Kinda sad. I feel you. Like these people would complain about these kids and thet, the parents were 99.9% the cause of them being a mess.

I don't have the full scope, and it's none of my business, but maybe that boy had a crush but no real social skills. I'm sure if he did, he would've laughed it off and dropped it once he realized the girl wasn't interested like that.

Nobody rears their children anymore. They just dope em up and make it so they don't know how to interact. On a computer maybe.

Or they act like every girl is the last chopper out of Saigon.

Best advice I ever heard as a lad "Boy, no matter how pretty or cute she is; her momma and daddy probably want to wring her neck over some dumb stuff she does."

I recall being young and hormonal once but now I'm like "As long as she's not a total bitch."

If I can find a girl who is a half bitch or less, I'll do whatever. If I find a girl who is a quarter bitch and she's not an ugly tranny or part of a cult; I'll marry her and cook breakfast. GOOD Breakfast. Not just eggos and cocoa puffs but like the stuff they show on Rachel Ray.

That may seem sexist but that's just where I'm at right now.

Endur
07-14-16, 01:43
This is funny.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/07/14/this-is-from-an-actual-official-usaf-email/

Moose-Knuckle
07-14-16, 03:25
https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8726/28221715411_9dcfc23530.jpg

KalashniKEV
07-14-16, 07:48
At cellphones are allowed where you work :p

Yeah, the TS side is small and most days no one goes in there.

What's cool about our test chamber though is that the GPS constellation is mirrored via a relay-receiver/ repeater way up on the ceiling, so I can still lock satellites and play indoors.

Take that, Nintendo!

I'm basically the Chief Scientist of Pokemon Go within the organization.

Not to be argumentative, but it is not a teacher's job...

Well, my understanding of the purpose of the school system...

Start a new thread. No one cares.

26 Inf
07-14-16, 08:00
Kinda sad. I feel you. Like these people would complain about these kids and thet, the parents were 99.9% the cause of them being a mess.

I don't have the full scope, and it's none of my business, but maybe that boy had a crush but no real social skills.

That was exactly my read and why I went to talk with him - I was actually going to try to give him some feedback and try to get him to see why my daughter wasn't interested - leaving out the part that she thought he was a dork.

You got a PM in bound.

Gunfixr
07-21-16, 18:56
Start a new thread. No one cares.

Well, no one but you.