PDA

View Full Version : HSP Sling annoyance

WS6
07-13-16, 02:40
Anyone else put off by it? I bought one because I love the minimalist form factor, but it's un-usable for me. One, the pad isn't any good. It's not even touching me. I have adjusted all over the place with the sling, and the pad sure feels good on my back, and does ZIP to keep my neck from chaffing. The buckle and the QD socket for the 1-point conversion chafe the hell out of my neck. Second, it's damn near impossible to actually pull the weapon in tight to you. Sure, the adjustment range goes that far, but I am not double jointed, and as you pull the loop back and toward your body, you quickly lose the "angle" at which it adjusts without force that you cannot generate at that odd angle. I could make a video, but it looks like a monkey having relations with a beach-ball. My VTAC slings are FLAWLESS! but they are also bunlky and over-complicated. I was hoping the HSP sling would be all that and a bag of chips. Nope. Am I somehow "doing it wrong"?

ETA: SUCCESS! I laid it out next to my VTAC sling and saw the issue. That funky 2-1 adapter. It makes the sling WAY longer than it should be in that area. (I run the sling on the buttstock and just ahead of the mag-well). I removed it, and re-threaded the webbing through a spare QD I had, and BOOM! It's working now, albeit the sling adjustment is not as smooth as the VTAC system, it is far better than the BFG, Proctor, MS4 Magpul and other sling's I've used! It is a fair trade-off for how much simpler and more trim the sling makes things, and the pad is now actually on my shoulder/neck! I hope my post can help a similarly frustrated HSP sling owner!

*Yes, I would buy this again, now that I've re-configured it

tostado22
07-13-16, 05:06
Good to know and glad you got it worked out.

I personally haven't found anything to pull me away from my BFG Vickers slings lol

Jellybean
07-13-16, 22:43
Anyone else put off by it? ...

Yes.
The price.

WS6
07-13-16, 22:50
Yes.
The price.

Sadly it is what it is, and I find the product unique. EXTREMELY low profile, yet quality material and comfortable, now that I've fixed it. My VTAC slings work a hair better, but this saves a ton of bulk and removes unnecessary straps and so forth.

Wake27
07-13-16, 23:37
No 2-1 point conversion, but the RB1 sling is extremely low pro too. I didn't realize how massive the padded VCAS was until my course with Jason where we did a solid amount of weak hand shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrvip27
07-14-16, 20:33
So vtac, hsp or bfg? I need to buy a sling

bad aim
07-14-16, 20:45
My MRP's kind of piggish, so the padded VCAS is a godsend. I didn't like the loose tail of the VTAC, but it's nice being able to super cinch a rifle down. Slings are super personal, so YMMV. No experience with the HSP.

Ned Christiansen
07-14-16, 21:21
I get so frustrated with funky sling setups. Overly-complicated, under-engineered, designed for coolness but not utility, cleverly marketed, sometimes well-made and sometimes poorly-made, 17-feet-long, 6-point, with heavy, sharp, clanky-assed, in-the-way hooks, raspy grind-your-neck-down material, and..... oh, I think that covers it.

Give me a $2 surplus M16 sling, two cubits of paracord and a lighter, and I'll make something that works OK-plus. Better yet, (my opinion), a V-Tac or Blue Force Gear. Right now I'm using one from the Sheriff of Baghdad (sans HK hook) and diggin' it.

themonk
07-14-16, 21:39
So vtac, hsp or bfg? I need to buy a sling

VTAC and I prefer the one sold by Larue as it already has QDs - http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-padded-sling

WS6
07-14-16, 23:16
For functionality, I prefer VTAC. The HSP is only a touch behind that, and behind that is the BFG and all the other's I've tried. over-all, I am a fan of the HSP because the lack of ability to REALLY cinch it down is greatly offset by its quality and minimalist design.

BlackWatch16
07-14-16, 23:16
I'm pretty much put off by everything HSP besides the incog holster. Way too expensive and gimmicky. Nothing but respect for TH, but he'll find a way to sex up an A2 pistol grip and get millions to buy them for $20. I have not found any other sling that is as robust and versatile as the vtac, especially the original version with metal hardware. Thick enough to offer padding but flexible enough to get out of the way when around neck shooting support side or banding it to the buttstock inside a vehicle. I'm a huge fan of the QD system and 2-1 concept when it's needed/practical, but also love that with the vtac I can take it off and route it through slots when the mission calls for extra sling security (roping, climbing)

WS6
07-14-16, 23:34
I'm pretty much put off by everything HSP besides the incog holster. Way too expensive and gimmicky. Nothing but respect for TH, but he'll find a way to sex up an A2 pistol grip and get millions to buy them for $20. I have not found any other sling that is as robust and versatile as the vtac, especially the original version with metal hardware. Thick enough to offer padding but flexible enough to get out of the way when around neck shooting support side or banding it to the buttstock inside a vehicle. I'm a huge fan of the QD system and 2-1 concept when it's needed/practical, but also love that with the vtac I can take it off and route it through slots when the mission calls for extra sling security (roping, climbing)

I agree with the VTAC being awesome, but find the HSP to be 90% as useful, and 25% as bulky, and only 75% as "complicated". However, yeah, you do pay for it, and I think it will always be considered a "fanboy" item, whether it is, or not, because of the marketing at expense.

Jellybean
07-15-16, 17:02
Sadly it is what it is, and I find the product unique. EXTREMELY low profile, yet quality material and comfortable, now that I've fixed it. My VTAC slings work a hair better, but this saves a ton of bulk and removes unnecessary straps and so forth.

I agree with that. I've got money in other gear products that I find uniquely useful enough to outweigh the cost.

I have a VCAS padded, and have been looking at something a little lower profile that still retains a pad.
Saw the Haley sling and was like YES! But for 89 bucks.... I'll continue to put up with my VCAS slings because I already have them, but I made a decent sling out of some webbing and triglides for about $4 a while back, and it wasn't *that* bad.
I'm just fed up with overpriced pieces of webbing that I can darn near replicate myself....

Wake27
07-15-16, 17:28
Redback One sling. Check it out.

Jellybean
07-16-16, 11:34
Redback One sling. Check it out.

That is one confusing sling to find any info on.
So, I google "redback 1 sling", get two links, one to RB1 home site, and one to SORD.
SORD says their sling is designed ICW Falla, but doesn't really look like the pics on the RB1 site (no micro-pad that the RB1 seems to have http://redbackone.com/news/image/IMG_2050.jpg).
RB1 site says sling is made by Velocity Systems (and a twitter post from 2015 seems to confirm this), but I have looked into this sling before, and it seems to be perpetually out of stock on RB1.
Go to VS site, no RB1 sling, but something sort of similar produced ICW Hodge Defense, that reminds me a lot of the old Emdom sling.
Go figure... :laugh:

I've also been considering maybe trying a Ferro Slingster, but the pad on that almost looks a little excessive, so we'll see....