PDA

View Full Version : New Colt Canada/USMC rifle?

kest_01
07-13-16, 17:41
Anyone seen or heard anything about this before?
http://www.alloutdoorstech.com
I'm at work right now so haven't watched the video.

brushy bill
07-13-16, 20:41
If it weren't the USMC going it alone, I'd say maybe 2099 based on Army's latest pistol trials, last rifle foray, etc. plus at a cost that would make your head explode.

scooter22
07-13-16, 20:43
Why would USMC team up with Colt Canada?

Eurodriver
07-13-16, 21:11
Why would USMC team up with Colt Canada?

Because the U.S. Army has been totally incompetent for 241 years and 29 days.

The Godevil
07-13-16, 22:01

Thanks for that...best laugh I've had in a while!

556BlackRifle
07-13-16, 22:14

Thanks for that...best laugh I've had in a while!

+1 LOL

MountainRaven
07-13-16, 22:18
I'd heard about the central power pack providing power to lights, optics, and other accessories, with the ability to mount whatever switches one wants, anywhere on the weapon, without needing to use cords or anything of the sort - all because everything is on one circuit.

So it's neat to see that the technology might actually be getting somewhere. Especially since the last I had heard anything about it was, I want to say, five or six years ago.

bad aim
07-13-16, 22:31
I'm curious on why they teamed up with Colt Canada vs their USA counterpart. I take it Colt USA doesn't have similar initiatives in the work? Or they turned down a partnership with the USMC?

scooter22
07-13-16, 23:41
I'm curious on why they teamed up with Colt Canada vs their USA counterpart. I take it Colt USA doesn't have similar initiatives in the work? Or they turned down a partnership with the USMC?

That's what I want to know.

caporider
07-14-16, 09:22

Maybe because Colt in the US has been over-leveraged and bled dry by private equity firms and does not have the R&D chops to put something like this together...? In any event, it does seem like Colt Canada already had other rifle initiatives going with other countries and the Marines might be taking advantage of stuff already in the R&D pipeline.

I'd love to know if the battery pack is a monolithic rechargeable unit or if it is just a container for standard disposables (AA, CR123, etc).

WS6
07-14-16, 10:28
I'd heard about the central power pack providing power to lights, optics, and other accessories, with the ability to mount whatever switches one wants, anywhere on the weapon, without needing to use cords or anything of the sort - all because everything is on one circuit.

So it's neat to see that the technology might actually be getting somewhere. Especially since the last I had heard anything about it was, I want to say, five or six years ago.

So basically, if the rail's power supply shits the bed, then you lose light, optic, PEQ, and/or anything else on the weapon that required power. Another way of putting that, is your light can drain your optic in 45 minutes depending on the light. It sounds like crap, to me.

joeyjoe
07-14-16, 12:00
My thoughts, exactly. Sounds innovative and academically interesting, but in a practical sense, this rifle appears to be murphy's ideal playground.

ABNAK
07-14-16, 12:48
My thoughts, exactly. Sounds innovative and academically interesting, but in a practical sense, this rifle appears to be murphy's ideal playground.

Well the reticle is etched after all..........:rolleyes:

M4Guru
07-14-16, 16:36
"Semi-automatic? My bolt gun never malfunctions. Sounds like a bad idea to me."

"Magazine fed? My revolver is fine. Sounds like a bad idea to me."

"Centralized power plant providing electricity to a grid? I've got candles and a fireplace. Sounds like a bad idea to me."

"Antibiotics? I'll just rub some dirt on it. Sounds like a bad idea to me."

Just saying, everything we hold as "standard" today was a bad idea at some point. Systems and network integration are not a new concept, and SWORD may be the first truly viable one. Relocating and consolidating power supplies is also something people have been developing and refining for at least 15 years that I know of. They were used in combat with success, but the interface was too specific to accommodate new equipment, cobbling pre-existing accessories together to use the interface wasn't reliable, plus cost and weight realities at the time kept them from being viable. The technology has come a long way since then and is pretty close to being ready for prime time.

It might not be something I'd want to bolt onto my rifle tomorrow either, but at some point we have to chase the next performance level. I'm glad they're doing it right at Colt Canada, the system is impressive in person.

dusterdude
07-14-16, 18:04
Damn right

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
07-14-16, 20:37
Gents, I once wore a buzzard, ball and hook myself. But let's ease off on our soldierly brethren, shall we?