PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon RX30 or Aimpoint CompM4?

Tomac
09-01-08, 13:52
While I realize the Aimpoint has an insane battery life I must admit that "no batteries, switches or electronics to go wrong" is very appealing (not to mention the RX30 is nearly $200 cheaper). Which would you choose and why? Thx!...
Tomac

LettersFromEarth
09-02-08, 12:15
Tomac,
Trijicon is a great company in all manner as far as my exp w/them goes. AimPoint is a great product as far as my exp w/them goes.

Im with you in thinking the ability to not use a battery is an advantage. But there MAY be times when either the tritium or the fiber optic collector are not enough and that MAY be a problem.

All current AP optics have a battery life exceeding that of Nuclear Waste. You turn them on and...their on. No drama--just a dot.

The RX-30 is pretty rad, though. Kudos to Trijicon for sending a little R&D $$$ to it reflex line. And for some seeing Trijicon's commitment to the concept that is reason enough to pluck down their hard earned dosh on one. Let us know where you go w/this. Cheers.

Damascus
09-02-08, 15:40
I agree. The only drawback I see to the Trijicon's tritium illumination is night vision. Some night vision units will flare from the tritium, and you can't turn it off... the Aimpoint can be adjusted... If you don't think you'd every use NV, then my vote goes for the Trijicon.
Also, personally, I think Comp M4's are wayyy too spendy, when compared to the M3... I mean, what does the M4 do that the M3 can't do, except for last a little longer on a battery? I'm not bashing M4's, I think they're wickedly awesome, bulletproof RDS's, I just think the price tag is a touch much. But hey, if $300 extra isn't a big deal, then by all means, get the best out there! :)
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Magsz
09-02-08, 15:57
M4's have built in mounts which alot of people like and also the ability to use double A batteries which is also a plus to many many people.

Here's a question for everyone, how has the trijicon reflex been improved? The older models were sub par when compared with other popular aiming devices.

C4IGrant
09-02-08, 16:30
M4S.

C4

BushmasterFanBoy
09-02-08, 17:06
See sig for answer.;) And unlike tritium, AA batteries are readily available and easy to replace.

Robb Jensen
09-02-08, 17:06
In a world with the Aimpoint M4, why would you want an optic 'like' an Aimpoint M4?

FJB
09-03-08, 23:50
I agree. The only drawback I see to the Trijicon's tritium illumination is night vision. Some night vision units will flare from the tritium, and you can't turn it off... the Aimpoint can be adjusted... If you don't think you'd every use NV, then my vote goes for the Trijicon.
Also, personally, I think Comp M4's are wayyy too spendy, when compared to the M3... I mean, what does the M4 do that the M3 can't do, except for last a little longer on a battery? I'm not bashing M4's, I think they're wickedly awesome, bulletproof RDS's, I just think the price tag is a touch much. But hey, if $300 extra isn't a big deal, then by all means, get the best out there! :)
Good luck with whatever you choose!

The answer is increased ruggedness of the CompM4 or CompM4S due to the mount being bolted to the body of the optic, there by increasing the ability of the optic to take a beating and not loose zero. Same for the Micro T-1. Go to www.downrange.tv/show2 video clips Part 2 and Part 3 to see why.

S/F

Armati
09-06-08, 11:04
I have always loved the Trijicon Reflex sights - but I am old like that. IMHO, the large dots suck. I don't think you can properly zero it on a standard 25m zero target. You end up with a shot pattern - not a shot group.

The triangle reticules were a big improvement. You get a very accurate zero using the apex of the triangle. Then, by using the whole triangle for CQC you got a nice big 12+ MOA 'dot.' The additional benefit of this 'apex zero' is that your CQC hold over will automatically be compensated for - just center the triangle on the target as would be your natural instinct.

The RX-09 with large 14+ MOA chevron was another big improvement. The solid triangle could obscure some of the target area. The chevron works as an awesome choke site and is calibrated for the Type E silhouette. For actual combat purposes I don't think it matters that much, but it is a nice feature.

The RX-09 also added a matchstick chemlight holder to boost the light output to improve the dreaded 'wash out.' It does help a lot but, it is not adjustable and it will never be as bright as a sight using a laser or LED for it's light source.

The new Aimpoints are great. It is awesome that the Army will put one in hands of ever shooter, but I personally do not like simple dots. Even with the 2 minute dot, I still don't like the zero I get. Also, my eye has a easier time finding a shape under stress. Sometimes I feel like I have to slow it down to acquire a single dot for CQC. That is why I like the huge 65 minute reticule on the EOTech. For the same reason I like the large 14 MOA chevron in the RX-09. Those shapes do not look like anything else in your FOV. I like this especially when engaging multiple targets in depth.

For my eye, I do see the amber color better than I see red. The amber color excels in low light and in woodland/jungle environments. I do think red dots may hold an edge in desert environments.

For my money the new RX-30 may be a huge improvement. It looks like they fixed it's light gathering and the large 42mm objective should give it a huge FOV. I think I would really like one but I won't mess with it until they give it a better reticule. The RX-30 with a 6.5 MOA dot is the worst of all possible worlds. When Trijicon gives it the chevron out of the RX-09 I will get back to you.