PDA

View Full Version : What other forums do you frequent?

baffle Stack
10-12-06, 12:08
What forums offer good solid information with minimum dumbass factor?

Thanks,
Anthony

Submariner
10-12-06, 14:49
www.10-8forums.com

Wayne Dobbs
10-12-06, 15:10
Cybin,

And the list ends just about there with the possible exception of Tactical Forums. That one has gained lots of mouth breathers over the past year or so though. 10-8 is excellent...

C4IGrant
10-12-06, 15:27
10-8 and that would be about it.

C4

baffle Stack
10-12-06, 16:25
Yes 10-8 is really great. M4C is quickly becoming fantastic. Great move Grant. I like it because unlike 10-8, I can actually provide useful info to some here.

What about TheHighRoad and LightFighter?

Any threads in particular that are must reads? I can put on waders if core information is good.

Thanks again:D

C4IGrant
10-12-06, 16:31
Yes 10-8 is really great. M4C is quickly becoming fantastic. Great move Grant. I like it because unlike 10-8, I can actually provide useful info to some here.

What about TheHighRoad and LightFighter?

Any threads in particular that are must reads? I can put on waders if core information is good.

Thanks again:D

I would like to take credit for M4C, but I cannot. It was a group effort and more importantly, the idea was pushed by manufacturers that were tired of the BS they experienced on other forums.

THR is a pretty good forum, but I don't get over there much. I have never spent any time on the LF forums so I cannot comment.

Enjoy M4C now while it is still small! The ad campaign is about to take off and this place will be a zoo. :D

C4

baffle Stack
10-12-06, 16:37
Maybe a better question would be, "Who should I pay attention to in the other forums?" You know the DocGKRs of the net.

C4IGrant
10-12-06, 16:49
Maybe a better question would be, "Who should I pay attention to in the other forums?" You know the DocGKRs of the net.

I think a lot of the quality posters (like KevinB & Pat Rogers) post on several different forums. So you can hang out at several places and will most likely catch some of their posts.

I enjoy reading Ken Good's posts, along with Jeff Gonzales (sp?), but then again I am Ex-Navy and am biased towards a fellow squid. :D

C4

Submariner
10-12-06, 16:59
Other than the usual suspects who post here, basicload is tops followed closely by rgrgordo, Sneaky SF Dude and Jeff White. These guys are Army but I don't hold that against them. Harv is almost converted; he has been around Pat enough.

Al U. 5811
10-12-06, 17:00
I have the same name on every forum I belong to. 1911 forum, AK forum, Iron Trybe, Badlands, Lightfighter. I post on some and sit and listen on others. The sitting and listening part is why I'm not a member of 10-8. I don't feel as though I could bring a whole lot to it, but I know a couple of guys that post.

Griz
10-12-06, 19:22
My favorite forum is the M16 forum on uzitalk.com Most posters there know what they're talking about, don't have inflated egos and don't display abrasive personalities. It's probably the highest signal to noise technical forum on M16s that I know of. It's low traffic, but it makes up for that with very high quality.

M4arc
10-12-06, 19:49
I usually just read 10-8, seldon logging on unless I have something specific to contribute (which is rare). I will also poke around on GlockTalk.com but I'm careful over there for obvious reasons. I do spend quite a bit of time over @ www.akforum.net (http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/). I like that place, good group of guys and good info for all things AK.

For non-firearms related forums I can be found on http://forums.asp.net during business hours.

MountainM4A1
10-12-06, 21:45
www.silencertests.com

-Wes-
10-13-06, 02:08
Louder Than Words forum (http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/)

I drool there the most. I've never posted, just stare and try to learn anything I can about my favorite handgun, the 1911.

rob_s
10-13-06, 03:32
See my sigline, haha.

I also like this board quite a bit so far. It seems to me like what the "other" board used to be, and isn't quite as intense as 10-8. Perfect compromise for me.

I like THR quite a bit but it sometimes seems a bit aimless.

jswanson
10-13-06, 05:54
Well, I spend a ton of my time over at www.handgunforum.net ;)

Although, I'm spending more and more of my time at this site lurking around and over at AR15.com... I've been bitten by the AR bug...bad! :eek:

zipity
10-13-06, 05:54
Howdy,

I still go to the Arfcom forum, but only the AR16/M16 Retro Forum and Hometown (Va.) sections.

Fortunately the Retro forum seems to be only used by serious folks and is one of the few places with really good info on retro builds.

The retroblackrifle.com site has a forum, but right now it is under utilized.

I want to do an XM177E2 build so there is really no other place to go than Arfcom for good discussion and hints on making an A1 lower.

Cheers,

Zip

Bulldog1967
10-13-06, 09:16
Akforum.net

The DARK side! Mooohhahahahahah!

fivepointoh
10-13-06, 11:01
10-8
Glock Talk
SVT Performance (mustang/car forum)
1969mustang.com

.....ARFCOM.....

don't ban me...lol j/k

i believe knowledge is wealth and so therefore i use it

baffle Stack
10-13-06, 12:12
10-8
Glock Talk
1969mustang.com

.....ARFCOM.....

don't ban me...lol j/k

Ban him! Just kidding. The announcements in the ammo section are really good over there. I wish my hometown form got more traffic. The Glock section at ARF is ok. HotRod hangs out there. Glock talk reminds me of Harmony Central's (musicians forum) boards, if you can stand a bunch of dorks posting every off topic in you can think of, then you MIGHT be able to find something useful.

Harv
10-13-06, 16:25
Only a handful.
I hang at ARFCOM (why sometimes, but it's still got some good posters)
Here
Lightfighter (To feed the Military side of me)
10-8 cause of the quality
Occasionally THR and once in a great while GlockTalk

And that's it...

I use the same call sign in all of them except ARFCOM. Supposedly some one already had HARV so I added the 24 (Bumper Number of my Old Tank D-24)

But yet I never see that guy post..... I think it's a conspiracy...

nyeti
10-13-06, 17:01
Obviously 10-8, Badlands, a little bit at lightfighter, and sixgunner. I got tossed at TF, but that ended up being good as the owner is a first class pile, and left most of the other popular ones when the balance of quality posters vs. internet dorks became unbearable. This forum has been great. I used to go to AR15.com. just to look around and keep up, but my blood pressure couldn't take it (same with Glocktalk).

C4IGrant
10-13-06, 17:36
Obviously 10-8, Badlands, a little bit at lightfighter, and sixgunner. I got tossed at TF, but that ended up being good as the owner is a first class pile, and left most of the other popular ones when the balance of quality posters vs. internet dorks became unbearable. This forum has been great. I used to go to AR15.com. just to look around and keep up, but my blood pressure couldn't take it (same with Glocktalk).

I read and post in the black rifle section of GT. Some of things that people say in there just blow my mind and wonder if they should be allowed to own and AR.

C4

m60g
10-13-06, 18:46
I use to be on Ar15.com, until they BANNED me!:cool:

ST911
10-13-06, 19:00
I like forums that value a member by the quality of his posts, rather than his post count or length of membership. If they require or actively encourage at least a smattering of info in profiles, bonus. If they have active and attentive moderators to smack down the peanut gallery, I'm there.

Some parts of the various bubblegum boards can be worthwhile, when the signal:noise filter is engaged.

Gun-nut
10-13-06, 23:23
I spend time on www.gunatics.com
It's a newer site, started around the same time as this website.
It has a group of good guys. I really haven't noticed a bunch of trash talkers or know it all's.

Yet.

strycnine
10-14-06, 00:33
www.sportsmanshomepage.com , www.georgiagunandgameforum.com (my board), and ARFCOM

Mojo58
10-14-06, 00:53
Well I love www.badlandsforums.com and I've found www.10-8forums.com to be very helpful as well. My key guy is Nyeti, here and at Badlands. Darryl is very kind and extremely helpful. In addition to that, he's a great writer. I always look forward to his write ups. Thanks Darryl for all your help and your words of wisdom. I really enjoy Pat Rogers on 10-8forums as well as the amount of priceless info that he publishes here. To all of you that are kind enough to share your experiences and advice with the rest of us, cheers:) .

RyanB
10-14-06, 02:02
10-8
Glock Talk
1969mustang.com

.....ARFCOM.....

don't ban me...lol j/k

SVTP has a bunch of idiots, IMHO. Not so much in tech forums, but in GD and Donut Shop.

I troll AR15.com, post at Bimmerforums.com, lurk at 10-8, have like 8 posts on LTW, love Getoffthex and have a dormant account at both lightfighter and tacticalforums.

I am sure I am forgetting some.

Ice Cream Man
10-14-06, 07:37
Sigforum.com
1911forum.com

and once in while at ARFCOM.

C4IGrant
10-14-06, 08:57
I like forums that value a member by the quality of his posts, rather than his post count or length of membership. If they require or actively encourage at least a smattering of info in profiles, bonus. If they have active and attentive moderators to smack down the peanut gallery, I'm there.

Some parts of the various bubblegum boards can be worthwhile, when the signal:noise filter is engaged.

The nice thing about being on a newly created forum is that everyone has low post counts. :D

I do hear what your saying though. I once saw Pat Rogers post some info on ARFCOM and some village idiot tore into him based solely on his low post count. :mad:

C4

STLRN
10-14-06, 11:43
I got tired of being told that I didn't know anything about leadership or combat leadership by guys who have never been in actual combat. I figured a couple of tours actually leading troops against the enemy and having awards with Vs on them was proof enough, but for some their one or two tours in peace time trumped my experience.

HAMMERDROP
10-14-06, 12:49
Since M4 opened I seldom go to ARFCOM except to view the EE under WTT now that I dont have any disposable income its being spent on a 2007 Saturn Sky my wife just had to have and to look at the Feedback, sometimes - that shit cracks me up. I like to know who the snakes are.
I have been to 10-8 but I feel like I'm being watched over there, so I generally just hang out here.

MontanaVet
10-15-06, 22:23
http://www.akforum.net/

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 08:27
Since M4 opened I seldom go to ARFCOM except to view the EE under WTT now that I dont have any disposable income its being spent on a 2007 Saturn Sky my wife just had to have and to look at the Feedback, sometimes - that shit cracks me up. I like to know who the snakes are.
I have been to 10-8 but I feel like I'm being watched over there, so I generally just hang out here.

What makes you think your not being watched on here??? The Man is everywhere! :eek:

C4

rob_s
10-16-06, 10:06
What makes you think your not being watched on here??? The Man is everywhere! :eek:
C4
I didn't take it to mean watched "by the man" but more as that every post is scrutinized over there. The moderation is a bit overbearing, but then I'm probably a little biased.:p

Mojo58
10-16-06, 12:00
I learned alot on the ar15.com forum and am continuing to learn. That's also why I enjoy 10-8forum. I got tired of other sites where mall ninjas and "enthusiasts" get as much credit for their lack of real world experience. I prefer to pick the brains of the "pros" and "the industry guys". When I checked out this site and saw who the moderators were and the sources that were posting here, I was jazzed;) .

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 14:54
I learned alot on the ar15.com forum and am continuing to learn. That's also why I enjoy 10-8forum. I got tired of other sites where mall ninjas and "enthusiasts" get as much credit for their lack of real world experience. I prefer to pick the brains of the "pros" and "the industry guys". When I checked out this site and saw who the moderators were and the sources that were posting here, I was jazzed;) .

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head. A lot of forums do not have their mods/staff reading the threads on the board. This is why you get just as much bogus info as you get quality info.

The 10-8 forum and this forum are the only two that I know of where the mods/staff & IP's take an active roll in reaing each and every thread.

C4

HAMMERDROP
10-16-06, 19:03

C4
I know your not watching me - somebody would have cracked wise about what I'm wearing ...! LOL
Its just on 10-8 if you cant present their required credentials to sign up as a member you know they don't want you there. And I understand so I dont frequent - I think thats what they call ... a 'Troll' and I dont go where I'm not welcome. I am very glad to be a member here and I figure if I cant learn it here ... its unknown !

Impact
10-16-06, 21:07
ar15.com
10-8forums
Getoffthex
Lighfighter
Bladeforums
Knifeforums

and M4C :)

Bulldog1967
10-17-06, 13:27
I got tired of being told that I didn't know anything about leadership or combat leadership by guys who have never been in actual combat. I figured a couple of tours actually leading troops against the enemy and having awards with Vs on them was proof enough, but for some their one or two tours in peace time trumped my experience.

Good to see your here, sir!

Semper Fi! :D

twl
10-19-06, 08:08
Here, Arfcom, Uzitalk, and Calguns.
Also registered at Lightfighter, but I don't seem to go there much.

John_Wayne777
10-21-06, 12:42
If you are looking for information:

Tacticalforums is a good place. There are a fair number of high quality people who post there and there is always some good info.

Lightfighter has a lot of very informative people.

AR15.com has a ton of information, and some very good people hang out there...Unfortunately so do other types. If I had a nickle for every silly post I saw about BW "mercs" or how the P90 is the hammer of Thor.....

Still, there is a ton of information over there and there are lots of good people, both HSLD types and ordinary joes who know their stuff. I particularly dig the AK section (since I know so little about them...) and the running ammo prices they keep on some of the popular calibers. Really helps you out when you find out that you need ammo for training on short notice.

This forum, of course, is also very cool. I was happy to be invited to join it, as I have found some very useful information and I even got tempted into doing some training through this site.

davemcdonald
10-22-06, 22:18
M4
10-8
Arfcom Hometown EE and AR15 forums
LightFighter
SigForum

I surf and read a couple times a day on the top three if possible but I have a low post count on all. My user name is DaveMcDonald on all of them. I am not very creative.

Dave

Chris_C
11-12-06, 07:13
911jobforums.com
airlinepilotforums.com
cigarsnobs.com

As I joined here a few days ago, I am liking what I am seeing here more than some other sites. Maybe it is fresh stuff, new people (to me), different views, smaller...all good so far.

M4arc
11-12-06, 08:27
911jobforums.com
airlinepilotforums.com
cigarsnobs.com

As I joined here a few days ago, I am liking what I am seeing here more than some other sites. Maybe it is fresh stuff, new people (to me), different views, smaller...all good so far.

Welcome buddy, make yourself at home :)

M4Guru
11-12-06, 08:57
Here, Lightfighter, Louder Than Words, 10-8.

I don't do AR15.com anymore unless I need to sell something. I like this one and 10-8 because of the lack of idiots. Keeping the "stupids" in check on Lightfighter is a full time job.

Robb Jensen
11-12-06, 10:04
SIGForum
Get-of-the-XForum (mostly lurk, rarely visit, site mgmt dislikes me because I don't drink their Kool-Aid)
GlockTalk (mostly lurk)
Lightfighter (mostly lurk, rarely visit)
10-8 (mostly lurk, rarely visit)

11-12-06, 17:31
10-8
Glock Talk
1969mustang.com

I spend a majority of my online time on BMC, and MMS.

DBLTAP!556
11-18-06, 23:09
I frequent a large sum of time at warrifles, and plan on here aswell as time allows. I was DOUBLETAP76 . just had my named changed about a week or so ago. :D

MudBug
11-18-06, 23:41
ARF
Here
Get Off The X
arizonashooting
Snipers Paradise

Gomez
11-20-06, 10:18
TotalProtectionInteractive

Turbo Supra
11-20-06, 11:59
Weapons:

AR15.com
HKPro.com
Sigforum.com
1911forums.com

Car:

Supraforums.com (head moderator)
Chicagovelocity.com
Clublexus.com
Dodgetalk.com

Browse quite a few more, but not registered.