PDA

View Full Version : School me on LaRue OBR in 308

1oldgrunt
07-15-16, 22:09
Thinking of getting something with more oooomph than 556 and liked the handling of the 16" OBR.

Any shortcomings you can tell me about. I know a lot of 308 pattern AR's use proprietary parts and such but really liking the way this one handles.

Give the pros and cons ....PLEASE...... and thank you in advance

JoshNC
07-16-16, 08:16
I had an OBR and sold it. Now I have a LMT MWS with LW 16" chrome lined barrel.

Pros:
-Extremely accurate.
-Designed with suppressor in mind. Mine ate any brass case ammo you fed it, suppressed or unsuppressed.

Cons:
- I HATED, and I mean despised the built in 20moa cant to the top rail. The added height means you either must use a cheek riser or a lower height optic mount. I hated the riser that came from LaRue and opted for a lower mount.
- Heavy. I decided I wanted a rifle that was more of a battle rifle that was also capable of precision. The OBR is really designed as a precision rifle and does not fit the role of a battle rifle. The LaRue predatAR is s better option for that, though I wish LaRue offered an intermediate weight barrel that was heavier than the PredatAR, but lighter than the OBR/PredatOBR.
-Handguard is not great. It's downright spartan and instead of keymod or Mlok, it uses larue's own proprietary nutcert screw system. And there is no provision for side panels.

All in all OBR is a fine rifle. I personally prefer the MWS with LW barrel. If I did buy another LaRue it would be a predatAR or PredatOBR. I really like the predatAR conceptually. It's a light weight fast handling 308 battle rifle that is also capable of good accuracy.

NongShim
07-16-16, 16:54
Pro

Super accurate (10 shot groups inside a Quarter using OK ammo are routine.)
.260 barrels an option
20 MOA rail allows clip-on thermal or NV sight to mounted with same attitude as day scope
Pretty reliable
Barrels last an insanely long time (routinely longer than advertised)

Con

Heavy!
Probably not as reliable as a KAC gun
Not user serviceable for barrel swaps

The OBR is a great rifle and for all but one purpose that no one uses a personally owned gun, it has relegated 308 bolt guns obsolete in the precision/extended range shooting category. It is more than accurate enough for the reasonable expectations of the 308 cartridge. It doesn't come with the backside support that some other companies can provide that are used to military contracts. That being said, it should be reliable enough for almost anyone's personal uses. It has been used to win various military sniper comps, including this years USASOC comp and the International comp a few years back. So, they're reliable enough for a lot of stuff.

There's no perfect rifle. I've owned the 16" MWS and 16" OBR and been issued various KAC guns. The OBR has been the most accurate of all. The KAC is the best military gun, the MWS was the heaviest and least accurate but coolest in concept. I'm eagerly waiting to take receipt of a KAC ACC as I think that is the best "battle rifle" made.

tom12.7
07-17-16, 15:46
These fall into the territory of "have had". If the gun doesn't run, I don't really care about an accuracy potential. I would tend to look at other offerings for any possible serious use.