PDA

View Full Version : RMR for FNX Tactical

Falar
07-16-16, 16:37
I've never used any of the tiny reflex sights before but just picked up an FNX Tactical. The idea is very appealing because the challenge of shooting a pistol is always to realign the sights and I'm hoping the RDS shoots nice and fast.

Question is--which RMR to use? I hear bad things about the LED versions. Mainly that they are fragile or must be removed to replace batteries. I also hear that the dual illuminated ones are useless if you're in the shade shooting towards something bright.

BillBond
07-16-16, 18:19
I had all three different styles on mine.
I prefer the old style RM02, you might prefer the adjustable RM06/07 and maybe the dual illuminated.
No one can tell you what is the best for you.
While I do have to remove it to replace the battery, and then recheck the zero, they are not fragile.

Keep both eyes open and you will be surprised how much better and faster you can shoot.

FlyingHunter
07-16-16, 19:25
Using the new Leupold Deltapoint Pro. Top loading battery. Auto on with movement. Trijicon has more history. Vortex has some new designs as well.

Falar
07-16-16, 19:38
I had all three different styles on mine.
I prefer the old style RM02, you might prefer the adjustable RM06/07 and maybe the dual illuminated.
No one can tell you what is the best for you.
While I do have to remove it to replace the battery, and then recheck the zero, they are not fragile.

Keep both eyes open and you will be surprised how much better and faster you can shoot.

I'm going with an RMR for sure, just don't know which one yet and was hoping for some anecdotes beyond what I've been able to dig up about the dual illuminated being regarded as rugged but lacking in certain light conditions and the adjust LED being "fragile". Getting excited to try it now that you confirmed what I was thinking.

golfer
07-16-16, 21:19
I tried the DR sight, lens fell out, I thought, OK, things happen. Turns out I had to send it to Germany to be repaired, nearly $40 in postage, and 4 months to get it back.
Had Trijicon on my other pistol. If it is for carry, that is the only one I recommend. Battle tested, I have 3 of them now.
Someone else can to the testing for me, when they are up to the Trijicon, I will try them.

nova3930
07-16-16, 22:56
I picked up a vortex venom to "try before i buy" on my fnx-45 tac. Plan on grabbing a RMR and moving the venom to my cz evo if I like the whole red dot on a pistol thing. $200 for something I'm not sure I'll like is a lot easier to stomach than $600

Falar
07-18-16, 12:19
Guess I'll roll the dice on the adjustable LED. Least reliable, sure but has the feature set I need.

The non-adjustable LED I would constantly be looking for a place that was dark as possible to put the gun when not in use.

Flankenstein
07-18-16, 12:26
Guess I'll roll the dice on the adjustable LED. Least reliable, sure but has the feature set I need.

The non-adjustable LED I would constantly be looking for a place that was dark as possible to put the gun when not in use.

Adjustable LED plenty reliable in my experiences. Not sure what you are reading.

Defaultmp3
07-18-16, 12:33

The non-adjustable LED I would constantly be looking for a place that was dark as possible to put the gun when not in use.As Flakenstein noted, the adjustable RMRs are generally what's been recommended, without any notable durability issues compared to the rest of the RMR line-up, at least with the newer generations. I personally have not had any issues that couldn't be resolved with a new battery and the use of the RM63 sealing plate.

Chasez33
07-18-16, 12:35
Although I do think that the adjustable LED models are awesome, I went with the RM05G Dual Illuminated Green Dot for my carry Glock 19. I will likely get the LED model for my 17 since it is a range gun. The only concern I had was washout with a light. So far it is not bad with the XC1, the dot dims a decent amount but it still clearly visible. However I am sure it would be totally washed out with my X300.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13769485_2404929365134_3647851766850669935_n.jpg?oh=bf2f344d363eed5037a0e996f8473fea&oe=57E8B7DD

Falar
07-18-16, 14:09
Adjustable LED plenty reliable in my experiences. Not sure what you are reading.

I just did a quick google search and got hits on wandering zero, erratic brightness on dot, electronics failures.

As Flakenstein noted, the adjustable RMRs are generally what's been recommended, without any notable durability issues compared to the rest of the RMR line-up, at least with the newer generations. I personally have not had any issues that couldn't be resolved with a new battery and the use of the RM63 sealing plate.

I will make sure to order this sealing plate then. Maybe that will negate the need to wrap the plate that ships with the FNX in electric tape/dip it in nail polish. Supposedly there was something about it conducting electricity and shorting out the sight.

Definitely looking forward to an all-new way of shooting a handgun.

Defaultmp3
07-18-16, 15:01
I just did a quick google search and got hits on wandering zero, erratic brightness on dot, electronics failures.I will say that the RMRs are far from perfect; they're not yet at Aimpoint-on-long-gun levels of reliability. At the same time, they continue to be the most proven optic out there, and nothing else is as rugged as the RMR, besides the possibility of the Deltapoint Pro; however, I've heard that the DPP has an unacceptably short battery life, in the context of CCW usage, though there have been conflicting reports. DocGKR said on another forum that the DPP is like an EOTech, the RMR is like an Aimpoint, in the context of battery life, and one user was claiming to need to change his battery once a week; on the other hand, Kyle Lamb has claimed to have gotten >6 months out of each battery on his DPPs.

Four months ago, someone asked about the battery life on the DPP in the Q&A section; Leupold Technical Services states that:

Battery life for the DeltaPoint Pro is 190 hours with continuous use on high brightness and 979 hours with continuous use on low brightness.That translates into slightly less than 8 days on high and slightly less than 41 days on low. The auto-off function will obviously help extend the battery life, but that's still nothing compared to the 4 years on the RMR RM06's on the medium setting (4 out of 8 on the brightness setting).

Also, I'll note that the adjustable RMRs still retain an auto-brightness function that you can use if you'd rather do that.

Falar
07-18-16, 15:48
I will say that the RMRs are far from perfect; they're not yet at Aimpoint-on-long-gun levels of reliability. At the same time, they continue to be the most proven optic out there, and nothing else is as rugged as the RMR, besides the possibility of the Deltapoint Pro; however, I've heard that the DPP has an unacceptably short battery life, in the context of CCW usage, though there have been conflicting reports. DocGKR said on another forum that the DPP is like an EOTech, the RMR is like an Aimpoint, in the context of battery life, and one user was claiming to need to change his battery once a week; on the other hand, Kyle Lamb has claimed to have gotten >6 months out of each battery on his DPPs.

Four months ago, someone asked about the battery life on the DPP in the Q&A section; Leupold Technical Services states that:
That translates into slightly less than 8 days on high and slightly less than 41 days on low. The auto-off function will obviously help extend the battery life, but that's still nothing compared to the 4 years on the RMR RM06's on the medium setting (4 out of 8 on the brightness setting).

Also, I'll note that the adjustable RMRs still retain an auto-brightness function that you can use if you'd rather do that.

I would definitely use that feature which is why I find them appealing since they also have an on-off switch or could be cranked up to compensate for being in a dark room but using a a weapon light.

FlyingHunter
07-18-16, 20:48
I will say that the RMRs are far from perfect; they're not yet at Aimpoint-on-long-gun levels of reliability. At the same time, they continue to be the most proven optic out there, and nothing else is as rugged as the RMR, besides the possibility of the Deltapoint Pro; however, I've heard that the DPP has an unacceptably short battery life, in the context of CCW usage, though there have been conflicting reports. DocGKR said on another forum that the DPP is like an EOTech, the RMR is like an Aimpoint, in the context of battery life, and one user was claiming to need to change his battery once a week; on the other hand, Kyle Lamb has claimed to have gotten >6 months out of each battery on his DPPs.

That translates into slightly less than 8 days on high and slightly less than 41 days on low. The auto-off function will obviously help extend the battery life, but that's still nothing compared to the 4 years on the RMR RM06's on the medium setting (4 out of 8 on the brightness setting).

I'm right at 6 months with my DeltaPoint Pro using the original battery it was shipped with and no issues thus far...we will see. It has a flash feature to alert you of low battery life (same as on my Leopold VX-6). The auto off/on function has likely been the reason for good battery life at this point.

Defaultmp3
07-18-16, 21:37
I'm right at 6 months with my DeltaPoint Pro using the original battery it was shipped with and no issues thus far...we will see. It has a flash feature to alert you of low battery life (same as on my Leopold VX-6). The auto off/on function has likely been the reason for good battery life at this point.How are you using the DPP? Just curious and trying to get more data points.

FlyingHunter
07-19-16, 06:54
How are you using the DPP? Just curious and trying to get more data points.

Using as EDC on G19. It's probably on most of the time for weekends as I live on a farm and teach local NRA classes. I also compete w 3 Gun and USPSA. I agree with your comments above as I'm not convinced any RMR is Aimpoint on a carbine reliable. I chose the DPP over the Trijicon for two reasons: Top loading battery and Leupold's customer service has always been 100% for me. Trijicon has a much longer history of real world use but like many people on the forum I wanted to see if the Leupold engineers could take knowledge and create a better RMR. I guess time will tell.

nova3930
07-19-16, 10:26
I chose the DPP over the Trijicon for two reasons: Top loading battery

That's my only hangup with the RMR if I end up liking the red dot on a pistol thing. It seems silly to have to pull the whole optic to change a battery. Even though resulting in a thicker optic, the top load seems like a better compromise....

Defaultmp3
07-19-16, 11:05
That's my only hangup with the RMR if I end up liking the red dot on a pistol thing. It seems silly to have to pull the whole optic to change a battery. Even though resulting in a thicker optic, the top load seems like a better compromise....IME, it's not been an issue; return to zero has been fine for me, and I'm only changing the battery every 6 months or so. The problem with the thicker optic is that it creates more offset from the bore, more bulk, and more difficulty finding BUIS, with the BUIS being the biggest issue out of the three, IMO, as you'll end up with giant front sights that don't fit any regular holster and/or becomes a snag hazard.

nova3930
07-19-16, 11:40
IMO, as you'll end up with giant front sights that don't fit any regular holster and/or becomes a snag hazard.

Well, my platform is an FNX-45 Tactical so yeah, the sights are gigantic lol :D

Even with the thickness of the Venom I bought to try, I still get about a lower 1/4 cowitness with it. Even with my battery concern, if I like the red dot setup I'm gonna get an RMR and move the Venom to my Scorpion. Although the dual illumination RMRs keep catching my eye so maybe I could go that route and eliminate my battery hang up....

number1olddog
07-19-16, 18:01
Well, my platform is an FNX-45 Tactical so yeah, the sights are gigantic lol :D

Even with the thickness of the Venom I bought to try, I still get about a lower 1/4 cowitness with it. Even with my battery concern, if I like the red dot setup I'm gonna get an RMR and move the Venom to my Scorpion. Although the dual illumination RMRs keep catching my eye so maybe I could go that route and eliminate my battery hang up....

I have both a dual illuminated green 9 moa dot and led 3.5 moa non adjustable rmr's. Both have pros and cons. The green dual illum dot is very crisp in sunlight and in a well lit room. It washes out very fast going from bright sunlight to a dark or poorly lit area. The led non adjustable is very bright outside but I get a slight kidney stone looking effect as its not as crisp as the dual illuminated model. The led models dot seems more crisp indoors than outdoors. I have been told by others that shoot my gun with the led model that it's my eyes doing that and it looks fine for them in sunlight. Both have been reliable. I use the sealing plate for the led model and no issues even returns to zero after changing battery. YMMV

nova3930
07-19-16, 20:09
thanks for the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Falar
07-24-16, 17:43
I decided on going with the RM07. I've read that the main issues are the dot dimming/getting brighter between shots or losing zero and that some of these problems can be solved by covering the bottom of the battery in electrical tape and apparently Trijicon is aware of these problems and wonder if the "seal plate" they sell now is a fix for this instead of the electrical tape?

Anyone have experience with this? Maybe tape AND the seal plate would be good to go.

Defaultmp3
07-25-16, 09:33
I decided on going with the RM07. I've read that the main issues are the dot dimming/getting brighter between shots or losing zero and that some of these problems can be solved by covering the bottom of the battery in electrical tape and apparently Trijicon is aware of these problems and wonder if the "seal plate" they sell now is a fix for this instead of the electrical tape?

Anyone have experience with this? Maybe tape AND the seal plate would be good to go.I've tried the tape before, disliked it, as that means RTZ is now unlikely, if you remove the optic, at least in my experiences. Funnily enough, swapping out the battery fixed my problem; the battery that comes from the factory sucked, I guess, as I had used it only for a month or so before it started having issues, so I'd chuck that from the start. The sealing plate also supposedly solves some of the shorting issues, and it's a cheap fix, so why not?

I'll also note that I've heard more than one person go from the RM07 to the RM06; you can induce bloom on the RM06 to make the dot bigger, if need be, but there's no easy way to make the dot smaller on the RM07 for more precise shots.

Falar
07-25-16, 10:04
I've tried the tape before, disliked it, as that means RTZ is now unlikely, if you remove the optic, at least in my experiences. Funnily enough, swapping out the battery fixed my problem; the battery that comes from the factory sucked, I guess, as I had used it only for a month or so before it started having issues, so I'd chuck that from the start. The sealing plate also supposedly solves some of the shorting issues, and it's a cheap fix, so why not?

I'll also note that I've heard more than one person go from the RM07 to the RM06; you can induce bloom on the RM06 to make the dot bigger, if need be, but there's no easy way to make the dot smaller on the RM07 for more precise shots.

Man, why do you do this to me? Now I'm in doubt. I was leaning towards the 3.25 from the start but then read review after review talking about how the 6.5 was so much faster with no tradeoffs since its size doesn't even become an issue until well outside of pistol range.

I'm always a sucker for precision though even if it is almost never required. That is what had me leaning 3.25 from the get go.

Good tip on the battery. I think I'll forego the tape and use a quality battery with the seal plate from the start. I'm also reading about clear nail polish applied to the bottom of the battery to do the same function as the tape.

Falar
08-16-16, 16:37
RM06 on the way with seal plate. With that and a quality battery hopefully I can avoid any issues.

bighawk
08-16-16, 16:50
RM06 on the way with seal plate. With that and a quality battery hopefully I can avoid any issues.

You'll be pleased with that choice.. I have the RM07 on my FNX and RM06 on my G19.. I use the FNX for a house gun so the dot size isn't as a very big deal but further out I MUCH prefer the RM06. Dont get me wrong I love them both I just like the RM06 a bit more.