PDA

View Full Version : Striker fired ranking opinions wanted

jedi391
07-16-16, 22:21
I'm a 1911 guy by nature but am getting the itch for a striker fired gun again. I'm hoping I can get a bunch of opinions. The options would be the HK VP9, Glock 17, M&P9, or Sig P320.

How would you rank the guns 1-4 in the categories of accuracy and reliability?

Wake27
07-16-16, 22:42
Glock has been tested the most and I'd say is easily number one. I'd put the VP9 as second. It has some stuff that a lot of people really like and H&K is known for accurate and reliable pistols, but it's a newer platform so not as large of a sample size there. M&P after that. Their newer ones are decent, but they did have some concerning issues a few years ago and even their new triggers are meh. No experience with the Sig so I can't comment on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiDevil
07-16-16, 22:57
I'm a 1911 guy by nature but am getting the itch for a striker fired gun again. I'm hoping I can get a bunch of opinions. The options would be the HK VP9, Glock 17, M&P9, or Sig P320.

Best advice is to rent, or borrow all of the pistols listed and then make an informed decision.

Regarding reliability and accuracy, the Glock 17 is by far the most proven of the four.

As for accuracy, if the pistol is for self-defense or duty use then any of the models listed would suffice.

For target shooting, the HK would likely be the most accurate. That said several Glock model pistols exhibit almost match grade accuracy.

Choosing a pistol is a very personal decision which may vary due to hand size, style of grip, grip angle of pistol, etc.

What would I choose? The Glock or VP9.

jpmuscle
07-16-16, 23:02
If I was starting from scratch I'd go glock. Period, no bs. For me it's simple logistics. Parts are cheap and it's even simpler to work on the gun itself. Same thing with mags.

P320 would be a close second. Great trigger and superior ergos. It just feels good to shoot. Downside parts availability is not as good as glock and mags are pricey.

M&P is next. The full size 9 I had was the most natural pointing pistol I've owned. With just a poly AEK trigger in it trigger pull was respectable. Accuracy sucked however, as wake alluded too. The newer ones are supposed to be markedly improved but the triggers are still meh. A little work and they can be good though.

Last, vp9. Solid gun and Hood trigger. Needs nothing out of the box really. Parts and mag costs are a bit of a downer. Enough so that I didn't see it as a platform worthwhile of investment. I love the HK mag release but I've spent to many years using a standard mag release that I didn't trust myself to manipulate it under stress.

I see it this way too. Your handgun is a secondary system next to your rifle. As such I see it as simpler the better. Glocks are simple and cheap and with that simicity there is increased reliability IMO.

Tomahawk_Ghost
07-16-16, 23:09
Honestly, of the 4 it would be which one fit your hand better and how much modularity and safety comfort level do you want. Plus what will be the primary purpose for the gun, carry gun, competition, or range toy. Example being, the Sig 320 is new and relatively unproven compared to the G17, but does offer a variety of options as far as frame/grip replacement. The 320's trigger is uncomfortable from a safety standpoint for some people.

The M&P line does offer a manual safety model that is somewhat similar to a 1911 in function. But most here don't like the manual safety models. Plus a lot of people here buy an M&P and end up putting a lot of APEX parts in the guns. There are a bunch of threads here on that subject. The VP9 is another fine weapon. Sights, holsters ect will not be as plentiful as the G17. I've owned H&K pistols, they're nice guns. I ended up carrying and shooting Glocks and CZs because the H&K didn't do anything the others wouldn't do.

For me it would be Glock, M&P, H&K, then Sig.

Coal Dragger
07-17-16, 03:00
Starting from scratch and only judging what you get out of the box I'd have to rank them: VP9, P320, G17, M&P9.

We currently have a VP9 and P320 at my house. Of the two I strongly prefer the VP9. For me it fits my hands better, front sight tracks easier in rapid fire, a little more accurate so far, and it is more nicely made. The cost of magazines between the two is pretty much a wash. The P320 wins on versatility due to the modular design. For what you get out of the box though, the HK wins on attention to detail.

The G17 is a fine pistol, but given equal exposure to both the G17 and VP9, I shoot the VP9 better and the P320 about the same as a G17. The Glock out of the box will need different sights immediately adding to start up cost. On the plus side accessories are plentiful and cheap. I would also do some upgrades to the trigger, but that is a personal choice, current Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks have decent triggers just heavier than I like.

The M&P9 has a trigger that is atrocious out of the box, and the history of accuracy problems leaves me very reluctant to bother with one.

I essentially started from scratch on striker fired pistols within the last few weeks, up to this point I've only owned hammer fired pistols. Looking at it objectively with no investment in any of the platforms, or even the 9×19 Luger, I picked what worked best for me, and that is the VP9. My wife likes her P320 so she got that. I could have been happy with a G17 too, but the VP9 is the better pistol for me out of the box and the aftermarket is catching up. Frankly the way my VP9 shoots I'm reluctant to even change the sights out, the stock sights are perfectly regulated and hit to the top of the front sight out to 50 yards with 124gr ammo.

Now if you want to tinker and throw aftermarket parts at the pistol then: G17, M&P9, VP9, P320.

Hmac
07-17-16, 06:09
I've owned the Glock and the M&P9 (sold them), currently own and shoot the VP9 and I also have a Wallther PPQ.

The Glock had, at best, a mediocre trigger, as well as erratic ejection and "acceptable accuracy.. The M&P required a DCAEK to have even an acceptable trigger, required a new Storm Lake barrel to have even acceptable accurany.

Both the VP9 and the PPQ are outstanding firearms. The grip on both departs from the "block of wood" concept from Glock and S&W. Both are superbly constructed, reliable, extremely accurate, and have good aftermarket support. The triggers on both are what sets them apart from the mediocre striker fired guns from Glock and S$W. I and generally torn between the PPQ and VP9, but find myself using the VP9 most often.

DirectTo
07-17-16, 07:59
This all really depends on your preferred usage. All of the aforementioned guns will be combat accurate. The Glock has a history of boring reliability. The M&P shorter, but much the same. The VP9 and PPQ are both relatively new on scene, so it will be proven over time.

The PPQ especially and the VP9 to a lesser extent have incredible triggers for striker fired guns. Neither will match a hammer fired gun in SA, though the PPQ is quite close. Mags (which should be priority number 1 as far as parts availability) are quite expensive for the VP9, little less for the PPQ, relatively good for the M&P, and widely availabile and cheap for the Glock.

The Glock by far has the best aftermarket support and factory parts are widely available and priced well. M&P would be second (just a few gotchas with older ones) with the other two a pretty distant third and fourth. The brick grip of the Glock really shouldn't bother a 1911 shooter.

Realistically any will serve you fine...definitely try and hold them all and if you can get out and shoot them that would be all the better?

1986s4
07-17-16, 08:17
Could any of you comment on the Steyr M9A1? I'm in AL and they are all over around here.

LibertyNeverDies
07-17-16, 08:37
What's important to you in a gun?

Sights? Glock and M&P have every option out there and the Sig and VP9 are slightly more limited.

Trigger? You can mod a Glock or M&P trigger to anything you want. With a Glock this takes some time and thought considering all the options. M&P just go with APEX.

Overal Cost? Take the options

Holster configuration? Most of these guns have plenty of holster options but depending on what you want to carry say a RC Eidolon Glock may be the only game in town.

Size and how it affects you carrying the gun if you plan to carry? Depending on the Clothes I'm wearing my PPQ which is larger conceals better than my Glock 19. With other cloths it doesn't but the shape of the grip works with one sweater I have while the Glock does not. Glock works better with everything else. I even have a tight fitting T-shirt my Glock19 conceals better in than my Glock 43 in a similar style holster. With every other T shirt the 43 works better. I can conceal a M&P FS easier than a 17 based off of the grip. There are minor characteristics of the guns that may or may not be affected with your body and style of dress.

I personally like glock and the bore axis/tang area. The ergos of the glock tang are superior for myself when getting a high grip. The PPQ and VP become uncomfortable when getting a high grip. I've ground the Beavertail off of my M&P since I draw with my thumb on top of the slide. I also can't get as high on the grip with my hands. Your experience may differ.

I really think you're over thinking this. Unless one of the things I mentioned above is a consideration just get what feels the best.

If you're really having a hard time get the glock as it's the lowest common denominator. They are also insanely easy to sell if you don't like it. M&Ps seem to take more of a depreciation dive.

DirectTo
07-17-16, 08:45
Could any of you comment on the Steyr M9A1? I'm in AL and they are all over around here.
Outstanding ergonomics, great trigger, very accurate shooter. Factory sights are trapezoidal which is kinda weird, definitely something to check out. Aftermarket replacements are available.

Mags available. Not a lot of holsters. Haven't needed parts but they're somewhat available it seems. And Steyr apparently has fantastic CS.

I like mine a lot and would have no concerns carrying it daily.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-17-16, 11:55
I've owned:

Glock: 17, 19, 26
SW: Shield
XD9
VP9

The only ones I still own are the VP9 and Shield. I carry a 1911 for work and the only sims guns we have that fit my holster are Glocks. I hate how they feel in my hand, it doesn't come to a natural point of aim for me. M&P's are our issued duty guns, not many like them and I sure dont. I kept the Shield due only to it's size.

In all honesty, the guys who carry XDM's have NOTHING bad to say about them and they shoot them well. I always found that interesting. For me, the VP9 is king though, and I pray a VP45 comes to the market someday.

LibertyNeverDies
07-17-16, 12:11
In all honesty, the guys who carry XDM's have NOTHING bad to say about them and they shoot them well. I always found that interesting.

Me too. I've seen an XD45 stop cycling fully after being shot suppressed. Some people online said it was an issue with the magazine design them needed to be super clean. Besides that I've seen people do well with XDMs in classes locally. These aren't high round count guns but get shot more than most. I've never met anyone who has taken one into tens of thousands of rounds like I have Glock, M&Ps and 1911s. I did have an instructor who shot and carried one but he had just started using it and only had about 5k through it.

Talon167
07-17-16, 12:28

I had an M40-A1 and it was a great little pistol. Very underrated, IMO. Bought it in 2007 for $390 NIB. Put 4,300 rounds through it before selling it to fund a Glock 23... which I ended up hating and selling too. Of those 4300 rounds the gun had two failures, and those were 1500+ without cleaning or lube.

Not a bad pistol at all.

MountainRaven
07-17-16, 13:39
The only thing I don't like about the Steyr pistols is the same thing I don't like about CZs: The slide-in-frame makes the amount of surface area you can grasp of the slide to perform manipulations is... not what I'd want.

My rankings:

1- VP9. You can buy a gun with a SKU ending in LE and you get tritium night sights, a good ledge on the rear sight for one-handed manipulations, and three magazines. H&K magazines are built to last and are easily found at $37 or less. More expensive than Glock magazines, less expensive than Wilson Combat magazines - but much closer to the latter in quality. All you need is the LE SKU'd pistol, two more magazines, a holster, and a bunch of ammo. The trigger is excellent, the barrels are excellent, ergonomics are excellent. Only serious dings are that the slide lock/stop/release is sort of awkwardly sized and located, so it's relatively easy to accidentally ride (causing the pistol to fail to lock open) while also being somewhat difficult to manipulate and normal H&K sight tools (like the MGW H&K sight pusher) don't work or don't work well with the pistol. According to Larry Vickers, the most accurate 9mm handgun he owns is a VP9 that has had a trigger job on it.

2- Glock 17. Super easy to work on, parts are cheap and fairly readily available, magazines are cheap and readily available, and there are now a couple of decent aftermarket options for magazines as well. But the sights suck and practically need to be immediately replaced, the attachment method for the front sight is stupid, the barrels are everywhere from meh to decent, ejection patterns can be erratic and vary from water sprinkler to annoying to dangerous (hot brass flying back into your eyes in a life-and-death situation wouldn't be much fun), and the trigger is what it is. Sights, Vickers slide lock, Vickers magazine release (for Gen3 guns), and a grip plug and you're practically spending the same as you would on a VP9 - and you're still not going to have as good a trigger as the VP9 and you're still not going to have as accurate a pistol as the VP9 (although individual skill may dictate that this will be a wash).

3- M&P9. The triggers keep getting better, but they're only now at the point where they're (maybe) as good as a Glock's. M&Ps in 9mm also have a history of crummy accuracy, which also appears to be (mostly) solved (about as solved as Glock's BTF). And then there are the magazines - M&P factory magazines have a long history of being hard to get a hold of and tend to run about the same price as H&K factory magazines. Now, it does appear that Mec-Gar is making M&P magazines that run about as much as Glock magazines do, and Mec-Gar has a good track record with SiG, Beretta, and Hi-Power magazines, but I haven't heard anything about their M&P magazines. And finally, M&Ps use the rear sight to retain the firing pin safety - which IMO is probably about as dumb as holding your front sight in place with just a screw. If you have to have a thumb safety on your polymer-frame, striker-fired pistol, though, the M&P is the way to go.

Not ranked: SiG P320. Insufficient data: I've never owned or shot one and don't know any high-round-count shooters who do.

teutonicpolymer
07-17-16, 14:37
I don't see a lot of positives to the VP9 other than the trigger which is still not as good as the PPQ or P320 to me, the front serrations versus a Glock that only has the so so rear ones, and the replaceable back strap and side panels. I despise the paddle release, I dislike that the gun is so large and yet has the barrel length and mag capacity of a Glock 19, I despise the slide release, and I also dislike the slide wings. Arguing that the VP9 mags are somehow superior makes no sense to me either- they are both expensive and relatively low capacity, nor do they offer any real advantage over say a Glock magazine or any mecgar magazine.

The P320 is pretty nice but it is a SIG and they continually are making rolling changes that are not backwards compatible with older versions such as the new slide release and grip frames.

I don't find any redeeming factors in the M&Ps other than the shield and m&p 9c and these are primarily because they have a niche for size and are cheap.

Glocks are well, Glocks. There is a lot of aftermarket but it should be obvious that the guns are far from perfect when people can make a living off of modding them with stippling, removing frame material, slide milling, or just dropping in parts.

Coal Dragger
07-17-16, 15:40
VP9 magazines are really not that expensive if you look around. In my opinion the HK mags are better quality than the Mec Gar mags for my SIG's. I really like the HK follower in the P30/VP9 magazines, yes it is large and limits capacity a bit but it will not tilt and it keeps the magazine springs a little more relaxed for theoretically better longevity. Plus you can seat a fully loaded magazine with the slide forward, something Glocks don't do well with.

The other controls are very much personal preference, they work for me but others may gate them. I was afraid I would ride the slide release lever with the VP9 but haven't had an issue yet.

Gunnar da Wolf
07-17-16, 15:45
I'm basically a 1911 guy since the late 70's. I can't stand Glocks, they don't fit or point well for me. Glocks are 100% reliable, very accurate and dead simple to issue to non-gun people. They are the Barbie pistol that you can mod to your heart's content. I have shot various models on several occasions but they're not for me.

The agency I work for issues the XD45 with great success, but you didn't ask about SA.

The M&P feels like an updated Sigma to me and I've lost faith in S&W.

No experience with the SIG P320.

I purchased a VP9 three weeks ago. I got a great deal on a non-LEO version. After @300 rounds I feel that I'm nearly as fast as I am with my best 1911 in a smaller lighter gun. I like the paddle magazine release, but I'm used to my wife's P99c. I shoot it equally well with either hand, unusual for me. Accuracy is better for me than any other Tactical Tupperware I've shot in the past. I don't find myself adjusting when I come up on target like I do with a Glock. So far it's digested Hornady XTP +P, Federal HST +P, Winchester 127gr +P+ and WWB ball without a problem.

YMMV

Firefly
07-17-16, 16:59
Glock, Walther, and VP9.

The others are kinda meh

I was almost about to get a P320 but.....why bother? It does nothing my Glock doesn't do.

I had a VP9 and traded it off like a doofus. It was good. Not Glock good but it was arguably more fun to shoot.

HKGuns
07-17-16, 18:51
Being a well known gLoCk hater, pick one of the others that fit your hands and you shoot well.

All of their controls are slightly different and there is no shortage of pistols that are better than gLoCk from a number of aspects.

ETA: I own two of the models you listed, my personal experience is that the VP9 is better than the M&P, in my hands. I still own the M&P and it too would be a solid choice.

I see others are recommending the PPQ which is a fine pistol as well but it wasn't on your list. I own a V1 PPQ and would rank it behind the VP9 and slightly ahead of the M&P. The PPQ has better ergonomics than the M&P but not as good as the VP9. The magazine release on the V1 is too thin. I'm spoiled by the HK style magazine release, so the V2 doesn't appeal much to me, already owning the V1.

pinzgauer
07-17-16, 19:31
I'd really suggest renting or borrowing a PPQ to shoot before you get too far down your path.

ramairthree
07-17-16, 19:31
I basically have two main types of pistols.
Beretta series,
And Glocks.

For outliers I have some double stack 1911s, etc.

Neither DA/SA, SA, or striker fired are 100% perfect to me.

If choosing a striker gun in 9mm I would go Glock.
Owned them since early 90s.

You can get subcompact, compact, duty sized, and compe/long slide gun with mag and many parts compatibility and the selection and supply and variety and price are as good as it gets.

teksid
07-17-16, 20:44
Glock
M9A1
PPQ
VP9
I don't have a P320 so I can't say.
I have fired Two of them though.
Not bad, but I've got too many striker fired guns already.
The one thing that no one (except for Caracal) can beat Glock at is the size,weight/ capacity ratio.

voiceofreason
07-18-16, 04:14
I only know the Glock and M&P

I'd favor the Glock slightly over the M&P for reliability, use whichever you like better. I prefer the manual safety on the M&P to a Glock.

I've never spent much time with the other ones.

BatteryOperated
07-18-16, 06:01
PPQ
VP9
Glock

bad aim
07-18-16, 07:09
Give the PPQ a shot. Out of the box, the trigger will volumes better than the average Glock. Magnum Research Baby Eagle mags also fit the PPQ perfectly at a lower cost than Walther OEMs, too.

Hmac
07-18-16, 07:27
Give the PPQ a shot. Out of the box, the trigger will volumes better than the average Glock. Magnum Research Baby Eagle mags also fit the PPQ perfectly at a lower cost than Walther OEMs, too.

Those Desert Eagle MR9 mags are identical to the OEM Walther mags except for color of follower and label on endplate. Both are made by Mec-Gar.

nova3930
07-18-16, 12:07
Best advice is to rent, or borrow all of the pistols listed and then make an informed decision.

That right there.

My choice is the P320 but that's because I can't stand the feel of a Glock. If I could, I would probably be swimming in the things. Nobody can tell you what will work best for you though....

vigilant2
07-18-16, 20:38
I agree that you should try to rent as many of the aforementioned pistols as you can and then decide.
Those mentioned are all solid pistols.
That said I've been carrying a G19 and G26 daily for 8yrs now. My carry G19 gen4 just hit the 17,000 round mark.
I recently shot and then bought from a friend a Steyr M9A1. To say I love this gun would be an understatement.
I have shot extensively all of the guns mentioned and others. This is the first gun that I shoot better than my Glock and would carry aside from Glock.
Virtually no adjustment to make switching between the two, more accurate than the Glock, in fact one of the most accurate out of the box guns I have shot. Super comfortable. You get the picture.

yugo308guy
07-18-16, 20:54
I am a big Steyr fan as well. The aftermarket is limited to be sure, but they really need nothing, other than a good holster. Holsters are easy to have made. I would say Glock, but to me, the Steyr is a better, enhanced version of a Glock. Big bonus is they are cheap.

montrala
07-19-16, 06:37
Out of the box: VP9, PPQ, P320 (order reflects my preference)

Unlimited budget on mods and upgrades: Glock, S&W M&P

Most underrated polymer striker fired pistol: Steyr M9A1/L9A1

KalashniKEV
07-19-16, 08:19
Nobody has mentioned it so far, but I think the only one that gives the Glock a run for it's money is the FNS.

M&P is a bucket of fail.
VP9 doesn't work in the rain.
The SIG is an interesting concept.

jedi391
07-19-16, 10:10
The M&P is an interesting subject to me. The .40 and .45 are very accurate and reliable. The 9 is good with the MAJOR exception of accuracy problems......but you can now get an Apex semi drop in and get 1.5-2 inch groups or pay the full $400 for them to hard fit a gun and shoot sub 1 inch groups. I get that it's annoying that you would even need to replace the barrel at all but if you get the hard fit barrel you now have a reliable striker fired polymer gun that has the potential to outshoot a Wilson Combat 1911 for accuracy. If you drop in APEX parts you're going to close in on a $1k polymer pistol but you're also going to have the one with the best trigger and the greatest accuracy.

Kenneth
07-19-16, 10:14
I have a 2013 Leo M&P9 and it doesn't suffer from the horrible accuracy problems. It's not as accurate as my CZ shadow but it's accurate enough.

Coal Dragger
07-19-16, 13:42
Nobody has mentioned it so far, but I think the only one that gives the Glock a run for it's money is the FNS.

M&P is a bucket of fail.
VP9 doesn't work in the rain.
The SIG is an interesting concept.

The VP9 appears to work great for this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJr453erCAc

Mixed results for this guy with a VP9, but his Glock 19 didn't fare well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4A_TbpHU1c

Striker fired pistols don't work consistently after being submerged, not many pistols do.

nova3930
07-19-16, 13:52
The VP9 appears to work great for this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJr453erCAc

Mixed results for this guy with a VP9, but his Glock 19 didn't fare well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4A_TbpHU1c

Striker fired pistols don't work consistently after being submerged, not many pistols do.

Any mechanical object is going to seize up eventually if you get enough gunk in the works. No matter what you will eventually run out of part to part tolerance and things will bind.

Coal Dragger
07-19-16, 13:59
Stop using logic and reason nova3930, this is a gun forum, we don't do that here!

nova3930
07-19-16, 14:12
Stop using logic and reason nova3930, this is a gun forum, we don't do that here!

No doubt. Gotta take my engineer hat off. :p

I will add, some designs are more fault tolerant than others but anything built by a man can and will fail. Even an anvil will break if you push it to the design limits....

lt1ssteve
07-19-16, 14:40
I have owned them all an my personal preference is:

glock
p320
m&p
vp9/40

I actually really really liked the vp9. I just can not get accustomed to the mag release. Tried with a usp9 and the vp9.. Even the walther p22. If it had a normal mag release it would be neck and neck with the glock for me.

DreadPirateMoyer
07-19-16, 14:43
Yeah, the VP9/water thing is a joke. Anyone who repeats that stupid trope either hated HK already or should be written off for bad judgment. It was one shitty video done by a hamfisted man baby, and it was probably the mucky water he dropped the VP9 in that caused the running malfunction (i.e., dirt in some mechanism, which could stop any gun), not the water itself. Plenty of videos of VP9s working in water and further muck where Glocks die (like above) have proven this, yet somehow people like above keep repeating it and giving Glocks a pass. All because of a sample of one. Just a total joke all around.

Anyway, out of the box:

1. VP9
2. PPQ 1 (as good as the VP9, imo, but Walther is run by idiots)
3. Everything else

Tons of money:

1. M&P (Apex mods and a new barrel and it's an awesome self defense gun)
2. Glock (BTF still plagues the gun and can only be inconsistently fixed; apologists will say otherwise, but fanboyism runs strong on Glocks)

Not listed: Sig P320, because I would never buy a Sig and neither should anyone else.

jedi391
07-19-16, 14:44
I have owned them all an my personal preference is:

glock
p320
m&p
vp9/40

I actually really really liked the vp9. I just can not get accustomed to the mag release. Tried with a usp9 and the vp9.. Even the walther p22. If it had a normal mag release it would be neck and neck with the glock for me.

So let's say your like me and actually prefer the paddle release. How far up the list would the VP9 move?

lt1ssteve
07-19-16, 14:48
So let's say your like me and actually prefer the paddle release. How far up the list would the VP9 move?

For me it would be behind the glock still but just marginally. If I couldn't alter the glock then I would most likely take the vp9 over a glock simply cause extended shooting of the glock really messes up my middle finger so I have to give them a undercut. Its really a nice pistol straight out of the box. With that said I am actually carrying a p320c off duty right now and really like it. Added the apex trigger shoe and that's about it. Its been really good so far as well.

C4IGrant
07-19-16, 15:44

The VP9 is going to win in the Accuracy department and most likely the reliability one as well (especially if you consider that a MANY Glocks are still kicking brass to the face). Coming from a 1911, I think the transition to a striker fired gun will most most difficult if you select a Glock. The SIG 320 is a very interesting gun. It has a lot of positive things going for it, but don't think it equals a Glock or VP9 just yet. The M&P (with a good fitting barrel and some parts polishing) CAN BE the diamond in the rough (cheap, combat accurate, ergonomic and easy to learn to shoot).

C4

jedi391
07-19-16, 15:52
The VP9 is going to win in the Accuracy department and most likely the reliability one as well (especially if you consider that a MANY Glocks are still kicking brass to the face). Coming from a 1911, I think the transition to a striker fired gun will most most difficult if you select a Glock. The SIG 320 is a very interesting gun. It has a lot of positive things going for it, but don't think it equals a Glock or VP9 just yet. The M&P (with a good fitting barrel and some parts polishing) CAN BE the diamond in the rough (cheap, combat accurate, ergonomic and easy to learn to shoot).

C4

I remember in the past that you spoke pretty positively of the M&P. Is that your preferred polymer gun or do you prefer the VP9?

C4IGrant
07-19-16, 16:39
I remember in the past that you spoke pretty positively of the M&P. Is that your preferred polymer gun or do you prefer the VP9?

You can get good accuracy out of an M&P, but you have to know how to check barrel fit. Same with Glocks.

I like the VP9, P30, PPQ, PPS, etc. with that said, I own more Glocks than anything else.

C4

MAUSER202
07-19-16, 19:54

Another PPQ fan here. I do like the VP9, I dont like the feel of Glocks YMMV.

yugo308guy
07-19-16, 20:33

C4

I am curious if you've ever tried the Steyr? Just wondering about your thoughts on it.

mcnabb100
07-19-16, 20:58
I was recently in the same boat. I went with an LE VP9. It had everything I was looking for. P320 came in at a close second. It really helped me to get them all out on the counter at once to check them out side by side.

opngrnd
07-20-16, 09:48
You can get good accuracy out of an M&P, but you have to know how to check barrel fit. Same with Glocks.

I like the VP9, P30, PPQ, PPS, etc. with that said, I own more Glocks than anything else.

C4

Grant, what was you method and standard for barrel fit?

C4IGrant
07-20-16, 09:58
I am curious if you've ever tried the Steyr? Just wondering about your thoughts on it.

I have held them, but that is about it.

C4

C4IGrant
07-20-16, 09:59
Grant, what was you method and standard for barrel fit?

There is no standard. My personal preference is that the fit between the barrel hood and slide is UNDER .003 using a feeler gauge.

C4

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-20-16, 10:11

I personally find the paddle release to make more sense than the button. It puts guns much higher on my list.

opngrnd
07-20-16, 10:48
There is no standard. My personal preference is that the fit between the barrel hood and slide is UNDER .003 using a feeler gauge.

C4

Thank you. After setting up two Glocks this year that had very different elevation, I was wanting a number to start at before buying a third. Thread drift over.

C4IGrant
07-20-16, 11:01
Thank you. After setting up two Glocks this year that had very different elevation, I was wanting a number to start at before buying a third. Thread drift over.

So on Glock's, if they have hood to slide fit above the .003 number, they tend to shoot high (as much as 1 foot at 25yds)! The reason? The barrel is unlocking (and tilting upward) BEFORE the bullet has left it. The rounds should still group reasonably well though (4-5" @ 25yds).

C4

KCBRUIN
07-21-16, 04:49
I've owned an M&P, numerous Glocks, a VP9, and a P320. I only own the Glocks and P320 now. If I wasn't so heavily invested in Glocks it would be only P320s. For me the P320 feels the best in my hand, points the best, and I shoot it the best.

WickedWillis
07-21-16, 11:12
I will throw my hat into the ring here. My personal list would go Glock 17, HK VP9, Sig P320, and then a stock M&P.

Glock is by far the easiest of the list to get invested in. Mags, and other parts are insanely plentiful and well priced. I personally am only financially invested in Glock 9's, and the HK P30 series when it comes to handguns. However, when it comes to parts and magazines, I have 8 Glock 17 magazines, to every 1 Hk P30/VP9 magazine. It's so much easier to find and buy Glock factory, ETS, or Magpul magazines then it is to find HK's. Sig is right up there, although not quite as expensive as the Hk mags.

The VP9 has my favorite striker-fired trigger, personally. With the Walther PPQ in second, and the Sig P320 in 3rd. Those things being said, I have been trained on the Glock trigger and I love it as well. For me, it's the ideal carry trigger. Not too light, easily anticipated, with a fantastic tactile and audible reset. It's made me a trigger reset whore.

Sig did a fantastic job with the P320 all the way around, and I don't feel you would go wrong there. I do find the recoil impulse snappier than the G17 and the VP9 however, but that may just be me.

m4brian
07-21-16, 17:45
I think the P320 has about the best trigger, because I just consider the PPQ and maybe VP9 a bit too light. The P320 is a bit heavier, but because it has a mice crisp break, it feels lighter. I'm toying and tweaking a hole nutta animal right now - a P99. We'll see.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-21-16, 19:54
I will throw my hat into the ring here. My personal list would go Glock 17, HK VP9, Sig P320, and then a stock M&P.

Glock is by far the easiest of the list to get invested in. Mags, and other parts are insanely plentiful and well priced. I personally am only financially invested in Glock 9's, and the HK P30 series when it comes to handguns. However, when it comes to parts and magazines, I have 8 Glock 17 magazines, to every 1 Hk P30/VP9 magazine. It's so much easier to find and buy Glock factory, ETS, or Magpul magazines then it is to find HK's. Sig is right up there, although not quite as expensive as the Hk mags.

The VP9 has my favorite striker-fired trigger, personally. With the Walther PPQ in second, and the Sig P320 in 3rd. Those things being said, I have been trained on the Glock trigger and I love it as well. For me, it's the ideal carry trigger. Not too light, easily anticipated, with a fantastic tactile and audible reset. It's made me a trigger reset whore.

Sig did a fantastic job with the P320 all the way around, and I don't feel you would go wrong there. I do find the recoil impulse snappier than the G17 and the VP9 however, but that may just be me.

That's a pretty good synopsis of the current leaders in polymer/striker fired guns these days.

PrivateCitizen
07-21-16, 20:49
Pistols for me are almost primarily defensive. I don't enjoy shooting them over rifles. So my scope is purely as a tool and not as a hobby.

My carry journey:

W German ('93) P228 > Glock 19 > CZ PCR > Glock 19 > M&P (M4C hype, praise, kaput & bleh after i really tried) > Glock 19/26

I have come back to Glocks twice. It just covered all the bases. Reliable, economical, serviceable, simple MoA.

The Glock is the AR (or is it AK) of the pistol industry. It can be just about anything you want it to be.

At this point I am deep in mags, carry options, etc for G19/G26 so I don't expect to be migrating at all soon.

A Glock *might* take a bit of after-market love … decent sights, a $99 trigger job and a vetting of the ejector. But they are all easy to identify and solve unit by unit.

When you buy a Glock you know what you can expect.

I look curiously at the new P320s and they appeal to me. I considering buying one for long-term consideration. If I were starting new on a system it'd be a tough call between the Glocks and SIGs … but the SIG has to win back its reliability rep.

Glock is my vote.

(P.S. Few others made the cut … HK, Walther, CZ, etc … due to mag interchangeability between the service/compact and sub-compact models)

ozy
07-22-16, 18:11
I've been out of the striker fired pistols arena for several years.
Got the 1911/2011 bug bad and honestly still enjoying that platform .....
That said ,if I was to pick a new striker fired one ,what's the better ones out there that there's a concensus on??
My few off the cuff picks-
Walther ppq m2
Sig 320
Fnh fns
Hk vp9
zev glock
..... And you say????

tacticaldesire
07-22-16, 19:20
Out of the guns you listed I don't think that there is one that is definitively better than another. People are going to have their own preferences but I really don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I'd get your hands on as many as you can and make a decision that way. If it were me it'd be between the P320, PPQ M2 and Glock.

snowdog650
07-22-16, 21:34
I think you will get a lot of support for the G19.

nick84
07-23-16, 06:48
Is all of the above a choice? I love the VP9, but it's a hair too big for CC. 320C has been great for that. G19 is universal, etc.

A couple thoughts to color your choices:
I'd wait on getting a Glock right now though; when the new-ish contract gun comes out, if it hits the civi market, there will be plenty of lightly used G3 and G4 glocks up for sale I would think.
PSA has a weekend deal selling the VP9 for $520.
320C and accsy's are still hard to find according to the FB group. The interchangeable grips and slides are nice, but it can get pricey to get it exactly the way you want. Great platform though.

Nightstalker865
07-23-16, 07:55
A lot of it depends on your intended use for the gun. Hard to make suggestions without knowing that.

Hmac
07-23-16, 08:58
I have both the PPQ (Classic version) and the VP9. I like them both. I like the trigger on the PPQ marginally better, but find I do better with the VP9 at pistol self-defense courses. I will say that I had the opportunity to handle Larry Vickers' VP9 with the Grayguns modified trigger last year. That was impressive and blows even the PPQ away. I am utterly indifferent to the concept of paddle vs button magazine release. Either works fine for me.

I shot a Glock 19 for a couple of years. Dumped that...not a fan. It's not even in the same league as the other two in terms of being a shootable firearm. IMHO. I also had an M&P 9L. Had to spend hundreds (barrel/trigger) to make it shootable. Dumped that one too.

For carry...not really interested in any of the double-stack 9s. If and when I carry a gun, I carry a Walther PPS (Classic version for the last couple of years, more recently the M2 version).

PrivateCitizen
07-23-16, 09:18
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?186353-Striker-fired-ranking-opinions-wanted

293sheepdog
08-03-16, 22:46
They're all pretty reliable it all depends on what YOU shoot the best and is most comfortable for you. I would vote Glock then H&K don't have any experience with the others.

Mjolnir
08-10-16, 06:19
VP9
GLOCK
M&P9
SIG

Logistics is ALL GLOCK; no one can contest that.

HK shoots best FOR ME. Best ergonomics, best accuracy.

Had good results with the M&P9 though accuracy wasn't it's strong suit.

Not a fan of the P320. I'd prefer the Walther PPQ.

You should *REALLY* look at the PPQ...

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

BuzzinSATX
08-10-16, 08:07
Those Desert Eagle MR9 mags are identical to the OEM Walther mags except for color of follower and label on endplate. Both are made by Mec-Gar.

OT: Hmac, do you happen to know if this is true for just the 9MM? I was wondering if the MR Baby Eagle .45 mags are interchangeable with the .45 PPQ as well (I see they are not the same capacity...). Thanks

brushy bill
08-10-16, 08:35
No real experience with the SIG or Walther strikers. Of the ones I've owned, I go with HK, Glock, S&W in that order.

VP9 (LE SKU) should be ready to go out of the box. The only thing I've noted is the trigger on mine seems very much lighter than say a Glock with NY-1 spring and 3.5lb connector. I'd actually prefer a little more resistance. Probably in the minority in that regard. I would not feel comfortable AIWB with it and only now getting comfortable with it in other configurations. I don't like what appears to be a flimsy/fragile slide lock/release (on the ambidextrous side) but haven't experienced issues or heard/read of others having any. Probably a non-issue.

Glock may need upgrades to address brass to face or reliability (e.g. White Sound HRED, Apex extractor, appropriate spring loaded bearing for extractor depressor plunger assembly, 30274 ejector -- seems to vary based on individual specimen) and sights but much easier to self-service. I will say that Apex extractors on my versions in 17/19 and Gen 3/4 variants have no issues since I've gone to Apex extractor (some with HRED also) and will all pass the 1911 extractor test for what that matters. Mags cheaper than HK or M&P. I share the opinion that HK mags seem better made than other two.

M&P. Again variable results. Accuracy seems hit or miss. Mine was great after I sent it in for a fitted barrel. Current production had a number of upgrades over early models to include slide lock, ejector housing, striker, barrel, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. If you go this route, get current production. Like the HK not as easy to self-service as Glock. If you plan to use a laser sight, the M&P is great due to the Crimson Trace fitting into the grip panel. Glock models are more cumbersome and I don't think they offer one for VP9 yet.

m4brian
08-10-16, 09:20
Let me be a one off here.

I am switching to DA/SA for a few reasons, but I'll chime in with a SF pistol - the P99. It CAN have a smooth DA pull that is lighter than HK, and with the great SA and reset, really helps with rapid and accurate follow up shots. It takes decent 10-8 sights, and has enough holster and mag support. (Although by this time, they should have licensed the mags to MecGar, etc.). Its a tad larger than the G19, about the same weight, has great ergos, and for me the best mag release. I also like the decocker. Reliable, VERY accurate, and reportedly durable. Overall, something to consider.

SpecWired
08-20-16, 07:45
In order:

Glock
M&P
VP9
Everyone else...

Cost, parts availability, mag cost and availability, and age of service are factors I consider important when ranking the above.