PDA

View Full Version : Full size handgun vs AR pistol.. Tactical situations

ISiman/oh
07-17-16, 06:24
Has anyone performed any personal tests putting a full size handgun (glock, sig, hk, CZ, ect...) vs a AR pistol in tactical situations? I'm looking for direct comparisons with times, accuracy ect in shooting drills, tactical drills and so on.

I can see advantages of both. The basis of the results would be my planning on purchasing/building backpack gun. The guns function would be to keep in my work back pack that will be with me traveling too and from work in my vehicle. I live in a rural area but work in a pretty crappy intercity. Ohio law dictates I cannot carry a loaded rifle in my vehicle so sbr's are out (even though that would be my choice). The weapon will be to support my CCW ( 5shot 357 snubbie) if a situation ever presents itself that I need to get out of said intercity.

Thoughts? Thankyou,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat Trash
07-17-16, 09:17
It really depends on the tactical situation. I'm in SW Ohio and am familiar with the O.R.C. as it relates to CCW and guns in a car. I'm also familiar with working in crappy neighborhoods, to include when they are in full riot mode.

IF you are talking about comparisons with times and accuracy between a true handgun and a AR pistol, are you talking about starting from concealment? If so, then for me, a duty sized 9mm pistol beats an AR pistol by a substantial margin. I don't start to notice an improvement with an AR pistol unit I pretend it's an SBR (Which I would never do as that would be illegal per the ATF...)

If you are looking for something to repel the hoards from your vehicle, then an AR pistol might be better when shooting from inside of the car in that you have more lethality and magazine capacity than most duty sized pistols. But it still may be too big to maneuver while inside, depending on how small your car is.

If you are looking for something to take the place of a long gun should you need to abandon the car and go it on foot, then an AR pistol has some merit, as you could still sort of conceal it under an oversized button up shirt, especially if you use a single point sling.

I think you need to further define the perceived need and roll of this new firearm first, then the answer will become more apparent. A Glock 17/9 carried in the pack along with a holster and a double mag pouch might also be a valid option. Use G17 magazines as reloads, and toss a couple of the 33 rd magazines in there for good measure.

ISiman/oh
07-17-16, 09:23
It really depends on the tactical situation. I'm in SW Ohio and am familiar with the O.R.C. as it relates to CCW and guns in a car. I'm also familiar with working in crappy neighborhoods, to include when they are in full riot mode.

IF you are talking about comparisons with times and accuracy between a true handgun and a AR pistol, are you talking about starting from concealment? If so, then for me, a duty sized 9mm pistol beats an AR pistol by a substantial margin. I don't start to notice an improvement with an AR pistol unit I pretend it's an SBR (Which I would never do as that would be illegal per the ATF...)

If you are looking for something to repel the hoards from your vehicle, then an AR pistol might be better when shooting from inside of the car in that you have more lethality and magazine capacity than most duty sized pistols. But it still may be too big to maneuver while inside, depending on how small your car is.

If you are looking for something to take the place of a long gun should you need to abandon the car and go it on foot, then an AR pistol has some merit, as you could still sort of conceal it under an oversized button up shirt, especially if you use a single point sling.

I think you need to further define the perceived need and roll of this new firearm first, then the answer will become more apparent. A Glock 17/9 carried in the pack along with a holster and a double mag pouch might also be a valid option. Use G17 magazines as reloads, and toss a couple of the 33 rd magazines in there for good measure.

Without sounding a little crazy and paranoid the gun would be used if a riot situation, civil unrest happened and I need to make my way home. Being 25 miles from home I would try my best to stay with my vehicle. 4x4 Jeep Patriot. But if I have too I have some alternative routes to get home without the roads. One being walking along a smallish river through valleys that will lead straight to my house. So extended range would be a good a plus. I'm thinking maybe carrying a Ar pistol may act as a little bit more deterrent then a holstered handgun.

The_War_Wagon
07-17-16, 11:33
I'm finally getting off my duff to build an AR pistol, and yes - having it for close quarters in a vehicle is the main reason. Owning 4 other AR's, with mag & ammo compatibility, makes it worthwhile to check out, in my estimation.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
07-17-16, 11:49
Has anyone performed any personal tests putting a full size handgun (glock, sig, hk, CZ, ect...) vs a AR pistol in tactical situations? I'm looking for direct comparisons with times, accuracy ect in shooting drills, tactical drills and so on.

I can see advantages of both. The basis of the results would be my planning on purchasing/building backpack gun. The guns function would be to keep in my work back pack that will be with me traveling too and from work in my vehicle. I live in a rural area but work in a pretty crappy intercity. Ohio law dictates I cannot carry a loaded rifle in my vehicle so sbr's are out (even though that would be my choice). The weapon will be to support my CCW ( 5shot 357 snubbie) if a situation ever presents itself that I need to get out of said intercity.

Thoughts? Thankyou,

Yes. An AR is superior to a pistol in nearly any tactical situation. Inside of vehicles or extremely tight spaces is where pistols fit better, but they are truly no match against a determined attacked with a long gun.

daniel87
07-17-16, 12:02
as long as you can maneuver and make shots a rifle will always trump a pistol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

JusticeM4
07-17-16, 12:16
Without sounding a little crazy and paranoid the gun would be used if a riot situation, civil unrest happened and I need to make my way home. Being 25 miles from home I would try my best to stay with my vehicle. 4x4 Jeep Patriot. But if I have too I have some alternative routes to get home without the roads. One being walking along a smallish river through valleys that will lead straight to my house. So extended range would be a good a plus. I'm thinking maybe carrying a Ar pistol may act as a little bit more deterrent then a holstered handgun.

Are you looking to OC or CC for this situation?

My suggestion (and what I actually have in place) is to CC a handgun like a Glock19 with a couple of 30-round mags in a holster for quick deployment. Then carry an AR or AK pistol in a backpack if you feel that you need more firepower or feel undergunned with a handgun. Anything under 50 yards though, I feel that a high capacity pistol would suffice and would be much easier to use.

If you are open carrying out in the woods, then a full size or compact rifle (M4) would work great. Just depends on your specific situation.

G19A3
07-17-16, 12:40
Yes. An AR is superior to a pistol in nearly any tactical situation. Inside of vehicles or extremely tight spaces is where pistols fit better, but they are truly no match against a determined attacked with a long gun.

The blast, if not blast AND flash, would be something to experience.

G19A3
07-17-16, 12:43

Think gray man.

Anything of value, obviously displayed (If the SHTF is that bad), will just invite a robbery ambush OR shots fired AT you from LEO's.

Also, many truly hardened criminals are NOT afraid of guns, whatever their appearance.

teutonicpolymer
07-17-16, 12:59
You said you can't have a loaded rifle but can you have an unloaded one with mags on hand?

Also, this might not be translatable but since USPSA opened up pistol caliber carbine you can compare it to other platforms. The PCC's seem to fall under open guns but above all other handguns. Maybe this suggests building something like an open gun or if you prefer, like the Roland special, ie a Glock with slide or frame mounted optic, magwell, etc.

MountainRaven
07-17-16, 13:00
I think I would look at an "offensive" handgun or pseudo-subgun.

Less of the AR pistol and more of the MP5K, MPX, Scorpion, full-size 9mm handgun with 20+ round magazines, full-size 45 with 10+ round magazines, &c. If you can put a suppressor on it, so much the better. And then I might add an AR pistol or MCX pistol in 300BLK to the list of guns under consideration.

Generally, for what you're concerned about, situational awareness is paramount - and concealability will keep you from getting mobbed or shot. Unless you've got a couple other guys with you, OC'ing anything isn't going to get you very far, IMHO.

MJN1957
07-17-16, 13:07
I don't start to notice an improvement with an AR pistol unit I pretend it's an SBR (Which I would never do as that would be illegal per the ATF...)

That is not what the BATFE has said on the subject and there is no 'pretend' SBR: it either is, or isn't.

Having a AR pistol and shouldering the receiver extension, even one with any of the many 'braces' on the market installed, does not magically convert the pistol to a rifle and is legal.

MountainRaven
07-17-16, 14:24
That is not what the BATFE has said on the subject and there is no 'pretend' SBR: it either is, or isn't.

Having a AR pistol and shouldering the receiver extension, even one with any of the many 'braces' on the market installed, does not magically convert the pistol to a rifle and is legal.

The ATF changed their mind again?

ISiman/oh
07-17-16, 14:34
Can we please not turn this into a legal discussion. Thankyou

turnburglar
07-17-16, 14:34
Not to sound obnoxious: but if the AR pistol is a necessity; why carry a wheel gun?

I recently decided to up my carry and at first that was simply a spare mag and karambit to ride back up to the G19. Only posture after that is putting the 556 gun/plates in the truck.

ISiman/oh
07-17-16, 14:39
Not to sound obnoxious: but if the AR pistol is a necessity; why carry a wheel gun?

I recently decided to up my carry and at first that was simply a spare mag and karambit to ride back up to the G19. Only posture after that is putting the 556 gun/plates in the truck.

I feel like my EDC mind is different then my SHTF mind. For everyday carry I wanted something small and concealable that would be easily carried appendix. My Luger LCR fits the bill perfectly. Plus it will go bang when I pull the trigger every time with certainty. But maybe with recent events it may be time to upgrade my EDC to add some fire power.

Inkslinger
07-17-16, 14:42
Check how your state law defines "firearm" in terms of your CCW. In PA, a SBR falls within the criteria of what constitutes a "firearm". My 16" can't be carried loaded or stored with ammo, but my SBR can be carried loaded.

MountainRaven
07-17-16, 14:46

Some people cannot conceal a G19 and/or a fixed blade due to work-related dress codes: A J-frame in the pocket with a job is better than a G19 on the hip and no job.

ISiman/oh
07-17-16, 14:53
Some people cannot conceal a G19 and/or a fixed blade due to work-related dress codes: A J-frame in the pocket with a job is better than a G19 on the hip and no job.

Unfortunately during shift I'm the most vulnerable and I'm not allowed to carry a firearms at all. Working Ems is a interesting one in the city that work in.

tb-av
07-17-16, 16:18
OT: Not to derail thread - just posting for those that may not be aware should it matter.... take it for what it is... to each their own. Posted for informational purposes only. No horse in the race.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download

MJN1957
07-17-16, 19:05
https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download

The keys to that guidance does not change the original ruling. If something intended as a 'brace' is 'redesigned' to be a stock...it's stock!

If a receiver extension and/or brace are/were installed with the intention that it be used as a required receiver extension and/or brace for a pistol, coincidentally using the end of the extension or the brace off the cheek or shoulder does not magically turn it into a stock of a unregistered SBR.

If one INTENDS to skirt the NFA by installing a receiver extension and/or brace with the INTENTION of skirting the NFA, then it's a stock. The BATFE gives no guidance on how they will infer intent.

Given that there is a very active OEM market for 'rifle'-based pistols, shotguns, and even a few actual pistols showing-up with 'braces' here-n-there (Glocks especially), it certainly appears that BATFE is not attempting to infer intent and just letting their initial ruling(s) ride unless and until some idiot gets too mouthy about it.

ISiman/oh
07-17-16, 22:14
The keys to that guidance does not change the original ruling. If something intended as a 'brace' is 'redesigned' to be a stock...it's stock!

If a receiver extension and/or brace are/were installed with the intention that it be used as a required receiver extension and/or brace for a pistol, coincidentally using the end of the extension or the brace off the cheek or shoulder does not magically turn it into a stock of a unregistered SBR.

If one INTENDS to skirt the NFA by installing a receiver extension and/or brace with the INTENTION of skirting the NFA, then it's a stock. The BATFE gives no guidance on how they will infer intent.

Given that there is a very active OEM market for 'rifle'-based pistols, shotguns, and even a few actual pistols showing-up with 'braces' here-n-there (Glocks especially), it certainly appears that BATFE is not attempting to infer intent and just letting their initial ruling(s) ride unless and until some idiot gets too mouthy about it.

AAAAANNNDDD...... It turns into a thread about the legalities of arm braces.

Exactly what I was not going for

Ron3
07-17-16, 23:49
Having owned AR pistols, I don't recommend an AR with a barrel under 11.5 inches.

If that makes it too long for you choose a 9mm carbine with a 4.5-8 inch barrel as long as it's something you can put to your shoulder to take advantage of it's accuracy.

If you don't want to do that then consider a full size pistol with long magazines and consider mounting a RDS on it.

SW CQB 45
07-18-16, 00:14
I built me a 10.5 pistol and using regular irons to keep is simple, I was very impressed with accuracy out to 50 yds to include the stress of time on a qual run....and only using a pistol tube (no stabilizer) and cheeking.

while "checking" does take some getting used to as far as lining up the sights quickly.....I am planning on putting it in a discreet back pack (broken down) with 20 round mags.

with that said, my G19 is with me a lot. my wife made fun of me a lot with my fanny pack. she said they are making a comeback in the fashion world. maybe I can wear it on the outside of my shirt now! HA!

this is my fav AR platform and I have a 11.5, 12.5, pinned 14.5, 16 and 18" to compare it to. to me, it just feels handy and so simple. I am using a Levang comp and it does work.

if I buy a LPV for my 14.5....I will move my T1 on a Larue LT660 onto this pistol.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/SWCQB45/Gun/unnamed_zpsyzhfpdad.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/SWCQB45/media/Gun/unnamed_zpsyzhfpdad.jpg.html)

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee412/SWCQB45/Gun/unnamed_zpsaldbrmup.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/SWCQB45/media/Gun/unnamed_zpsaldbrmup.jpg.html)

26 Inf
07-18-16, 00:23
The basis of the results would be my planning on purchasing/building backpack gun. The guns function would be to keep in my work back pack that will be with me traveling too and from work in my vehicle.

I have no knowledge of Ohio law or what constitutes a loaded weapon, so these thoughts may not be useful:

1) If the weapon is in a backpack, is it really imperative it be loaded? As I understand your primary concern is to have a rifle caliber for the SHTF situation where you need to make your way home, perhaps on foot. If you are out of the vehicle, would it be unlawful for you to have a rifle in your back pack loaded? And most importantly, in the situation you are preparing for, at that point, would you care?

2) My 10.5" AR pistol with fixed pistol buffer tube is 28 inches long, maybe get it to 26 if I got rid of the Iron Pig; it is a hair under 22 with the LAW folding stock. My 16' rifle is 26 inches with the LAW folding stock. If I had my druthers, for your situation I'd get a 16' rifle with a folding stock and a backpack to carry it, unloaded, with mags in the pack with it - if it is legal that way. The pistol receiver is the one that has LAW on it, it fits into the saddle bag of my Street Glide, hopefully with a rifle tube and stock soon - waiting on a stamp.

I may be overly cautious, but I avoid shouldering my pistol.

voiceofreason
07-18-16, 04:09
A standard/high capacity semi-auto pistol for EDC+

a backpack with a mirror/2nd/backup of the same pistol with a LOT of extra mags (don't let them tumble, have a strapping system in place)

I honestly believe with practice, a full sized or compact semi-auto will fill your needs quite nicely without delving into "pistol + pistol AR"

train out to 50 yards with your pistol, take more courses that stress accuracy under pressure

better to be really good with a pistol than to depend on "better equipment"

26 Inf
07-18-16, 09:29
Unfortunately during shift I'm the most vulnerable and I'm not allowed to carry a firearms at all. Working Ems is a interesting one in the city that work in.

I'm all for if you take a man's money, follow the man's rules. In your case I could see myself building a square holster which fit into a cargo pocket or back pocket and disguised the fact that I had my LCP on my person. I would then NEVER tell anyone I was carrying.

My thoughts in this respect are if it ever came down to the point I needed the weapon to defend myself, or more importantly my partner, a patient or an innocent, my continued employment pales in comparison.

JMO

MJN1957
07-18-16, 10:32
AAAAANNNDDD...... It turns into a thread about the legalities of arm braces.

Exactly what I was not going for

You are correct...and my apologies for being inconsiderate.

Flankenstein
07-18-16, 12:23
There is absolutely nothing "tactical" about a rifle with no stock.

ramairthree
07-18-16, 13:52
Get a true folding stock carbine.
SBR it.

ISiman/oh
07-18-16, 14:04

With popularity of AR pistols I'm sure some people are proficient with them. I have shot my full size 16" carbine with the stock removed by cheeking the buffer tube just to try it out before actually building a AR pistol. Follow up shots and accuracy did not seem too bad and defiantly more. accurate at 25-75yards then a handgun.

Tomahawk_Ghost
07-18-16, 21:46
Think gray man.

Yep. There was an post on lightfighter a couple of years back where a member in Argentina went through the unrest/riots. He found a Hi-power under a shirt to be his best friend, going around to check on relatives. If you walk around with a rifle or anything that looks like a rifle you're going to be surrounded by 8-10 LEOs or National Guard with a good probability of being shot or at minimum disarmed.

tb-av
07-19-16, 01:05

a backpack with a mirror/2nd/backup of the same pistol with a LOT of extra mags (don't let them tumble, have a strapping system in place)

I honestly believe with practice, a full sized or compact semi-auto will fill your needs quite nicely without delving into "pistol + pistol AR"

train out to 50 yards with your pistol, take more courses that stress accuracy under pressure

Sounds like a winner to me. Not to mention if you found yourself traveling with two people, you have two people and two guns as opposed to two people and one gun.

Ron3
07-19-16, 13:31

This makes a lot of sense to me. Training, practice, ammo, magazines.

Okay, maybe an RDS with co-witnessing irons on that pistol. And if your doing that may as well put a suppressor on it. That would be a fun range and steel friendly gun too.

cbx
07-19-16, 13:55
Well, something you can stow away in a back pack seems like a huge advantage to me. Out of sight, or of mind. If things go side ways enough that you "need a rifle," it'll already be out, or the situation surrounding you is already total shit and it may not matter anyway. For the day to day though, I'm all about being off the radar. Out of sight, and don't draw attention.

If things do really get that bad, I think the last thing I would be worrying about is how legal I am. Seriously. Plus, fighting along in an unarmored vehicle, solo, on the road where every other leech would be seems like a death wish. To me at least.

I think we all get caught up in scenarios. I know I have. Watching a few videos from ukraine and Syria cured me of any ideas I had.

We let our minds wander easily. I think we can look to modern conflicts to see just how a situation without rule of law looks like. Even Katrina brought some valuable lessons. That was a short term event. Imagine the problems that could arise with a long term scenario?

If things get really bad, I don't for see you me or anyone being able to move about freely for one. Especially by yourself. So your super handy? Maybe even a professional body dropper for this agrument.

What happens if your run into 4-5 people that decide they want your ride and whatever you have? Maybe they're hungry and you might have food. No ones life is with a dime at that point. Let's say they all have bolt guns, 308 or better. One guys a lights out shooter with his 260? The other guy is good enough with his H&H magnum. The third has an 30-06, but can't connect. How does that scenario play? How do you feel about having to defend in that situation? There isn't enough protection or cover to me in that scenario.

Ditching and running is what I would do. Cars and trucks are so easy to disable it's not even funny. Go shoot up a junk car. Then go look at the inside. Yeah, hell no for me. Especially by myself.

I think the best answer to any what do I carry question is what can you do on foot? What are you comfortable with? What are you most confident with? Go with that. If your in county with long lines of sight, well, that just complicated things.

As cool as ar pistols or sbrs are, driving with one, and trying to shoot with one at the same time, again solo, that just seems like a quick way to die. Hard to be effective at return fire, plus your not focused on driving. Maybe some what effective, but I don't know. Shooting on the move is hard. I've done it from 4 wheelers. And that's without getting shot at. Still way hard.

If an aggressive posture is what you seek, travel in a group?

Even in a mob, do you honestly think you just be able to just drive along and flash anything that will make a difference? Dimetrius just pumped a 12 buck shell gauge into the left front wheel. He runs a second into the cab? You just lost vision in the left eye from who knows what.

Maybe they just go savage and roll your ride over like a bunch of drunk college kids that just lost the big game?

Then what?

Get something that your good with. Something that gives you all the confidence in the world. That confidence will be the only thing that may keep you alive. Sitting there and having a gun fight all by your lonesome like is tears of the sun.... I can't imagine a worse situation, to me.

Just my completely unqualified opinion.

cbx
07-19-16, 13:59
Yep. There was an post on lightfighter a couple of years back where a member in Argentina went through the unrest/riots. He found a Hi-power under a shirt to be his best friend, going around to check on relatives. If you walk around with a rifle or anything that looks like a rifle you're going to be surrounded by 8-10 LEOs or National Guard with a good probability of being shot or at minimum disarmed.
Lots of guns tried to get taken in Katrina. Seems to be the common thread. Things get sucky, so lets disarm the pheasants.

Flankenstein
07-19-16, 14:02
With popularity of AR pistols I'm sure some people are proficient with them. I have shot my full size 16" carbine with the stock removed by cheeking the buffer tube just to try it out before actually building a AR pistol. Follow up shots and accuracy did not seem too bad and defiantly more. accurate at 25-75yards then a handgun.

Comment redacted.

cbx
07-19-16, 14:07
If things went completely to hell, nfa would be the very last thing on my mind. Any law for that matter. No intent to break the law. But if the rule of Law doesn't exist, well, that's just being silly. Rule failed. Why saddle yourself with extra burden?

I'd be too busy trying to survive to worry about what the rules are. Only two rules apply. Stay alive, and stay alive so your family can stay alive.

lazerblazer
07-19-16, 14:18
The blast, if not blast AND flash, would be something to experience.
Oh yeah you're not kidding about the blast, I touched off one round from my 16" BCM inside my car I thought the windows would blow out if I shot more.

Flankenstein
07-19-16, 14:21
If things went completely to hell, nfa would be the very last thing on my mind. Any law for that matter. No intent to break the law. But if the rule of Law doesn't exist, well, that's just being silly. Rule failed. Why saddle yourself with extra burden?

I'd be too busy trying to survive to worry about what the rules are. Only two rules apply. Stay alive, and stay alive so your family can stay alive.

LOL. What are you going on about?

Guess you missed the "law of the land" outlined in the Bill of Rights.

cbx
07-20-16, 19:45
LOL. What are you going on about?

Guess you missed the "law of the land" outlined in the Bill of Rights.
Op was asking about riot situations.

If your in a bad spot, how worried are you about the "law"?

I'd be worried about stayin alive. But that's just me.

KCBRUIN
07-21-16, 04:33
If it has to fit in a normal size backpack that doesn't look like its holding a rifle, I think an HK sp5k or clone of your choosing with a folding stock stuffed in the backpack would be my choice. A Kriss Vector 9mm with a folding stock in the backpack along with Glock 17 mags and 33 round mags with a Glock 19 as a companion would be nice as well. When possible conceal carry the 19 with the Vector on your back.

ramairthree
07-21-16, 11:04
I have been through this though process.
Even with a SBR you end up with something longer than gray man back pack carry.

You need a SBR that truly has a folding stock.
The closest I have come up with is a SIG556.

It is not a true AR,
But as close as I have found/used erg wise to a folding stock AR.
There are some adapters that let you fold an AR sick for storage, but I have not tried them.

markdh720
07-21-16, 12:24
My thought process has always been that Im going to use my pistol and several reloads defensively to get to my rifle calibered weapons. Then I go on offense or I'm prepared for heavy fortification. Ideally, Id always have an SBR at the ready, but it's not usually practical and I live in IL where they are no go anyway. Id give my left nut for an MP5.

Recently, people i know have been buying Rock River piston system AR pistols and a pseudo AR pistol made by Extar. No personal experience. The former gets praise, but i cannot speak as to the latter.

Flankenstein
07-21-16, 14:10
Op was asking about riot situations.

If your in a bad spot, how worried are you about the "law"?

I'd be worried about stayin alive. But that's just me.

Over your head I see. Very well. Carry on.

friendlyfireisnt
07-21-16, 14:24
Going back to the original question:

An AR pistol can be shot accurately with relatively good speed. I have tried various methods, resting the tube on the cheek, I've tried multiple methods with 1 & 2-pt slings.

Up close, a regular pistol is faster, and for me is a bit more accurate at speed. I can be more accurate with the AR pistol, but it's slower. As distance increases, the AR pistol becomes faster and more accurate in comparison to the CCW pistol. Where that line is crossed is going to vary on the person. For me, somewhere in the 35 yard area is where I am confident that they AR pistol is faster/more accurate. I'm still capable with my regular CCW pistol out to 50+.

For everyday carry, I would rather have my Glock 19, and a few spare mags. If I am going somewhere higher profile, and am taking my backpack, than a couple 31rd mags come along.

I have brought the AR pistol on a few occasions, but that's pretty rare. I have travelled with a SBR in my luggage a few times as well, and I would much rather have that than the AR pistol.

Rogue556
07-21-16, 17:39
OP if you aren't stuck on 5.56 you could always look into 300 blk as an alternative. A 9" barrel with a LAW folding adapter and one of the SB Tactical SBM4 braces would make for a pretty compact setup.

Another option, if you are open to it, would be an AK folder. I have an Arsenal 107-34 with the metal triangle folder and in the folded position it's pretty small. With the 74 style brake it's under 28" long. Without the brake it's under 25" long folded. This setup also allows you to shoot with the stock folded (good for inside a vehicle) and is thinner profile than a folded AR.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

ISiman/oh
07-21-16, 17:49
Thanks everybody for all the responses. I think at this time I'm going to stay away from the AR pistol. Might be a endeavor I revisit in the future though. Right now I'm going to focus on upping my EDC CCW to something with a little more capacity (ether a glock 19 or a CZ 75 compact). And a few extra magazines. I'm currently working on A 18" SPR build that will probably live in the back of the jeep after its complete. Mostly will be used for shooting groundhogs and coyotes on the farm but will be available for the circumstances we have talked about in the previous post. Thankyou all for all the responses and God bless.

Beat Trash
07-21-16, 22:51
I think that you made a wise choice...